Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic Unleashed

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Nov 14, 2008

Sonic Unleashed is two different Sonic titles released in 2008 across four consoles. Both titles feature high-speed Sonic stages, slower-paced "Werehog" levels, and town hubs where players must progress through the story.

Sonic the Hedgehog Finally Makes Sense

• 114 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    He'll always be Robotnik to me. Maybe that's part of the problem.
    It's usually pretty easy to figure out who a game's intended audience is. Kids' games are usually clearly marked with, you know, friendly pictures of penguins or Hannah Montana. Games that kids should avoid usually come in blood-red boxes with tiny, brown screenshots on the back and use words like "post" and "apocalyptic" on the back, because when you grow up, you stop thinking about what it would be like if you could run really fast and start silently praying for the end of the world.

Sonic Unleashed came in as another in the long line of attempts for Sega to freshen up the Sonic name with some all-new gameplay. In that one, he occasionally turns into a "werehog" and bashes up the scenery with stretchy Plastic Man arms. I played a meaningful chunk of it, and I sort of hate it. It reminded me that I've sort of hated almost every "new" Sonic game that's come along since Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast, and even that was only really a novelty due to the newness of polygonal Sonic. "Boy," I kept thinking, "Sega sure doesn't seem to be able to capture what made Sonic fun back on the Genesis." Sure, I'm not the first to think this way. It's pretty much become the standard mantra for players in a certain age range. We remember the original Sonic. He was edgy, he was fast, the games were simple but fun. But I was also 15 when the game was originally released. And in the 16-bit era, "edgy" meant "he impatiently taps his foot when you don't move." Standards were way, way lower.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder what we all saw in those Sonic games. It was a simpler time. That's about all I've got. So why does Sega keep trying to push out more Sonic games? Well, the answer's probably pretty simple: Sonic isn't for me. It hasn't been for quite some time. While those of us who remember the early days keep expecting the series to grow up alongside us, Sonic has been squarely aimed at its core market--kids--all along.

Check this video out. 

This kid loved Sonic so much that he wanted a hedgehog as a pet. When he discovered that his city made owning a hedgehog illegal, he spent like three years fighting to get the hedgehog ban overturned. He succeeded and the local news covered it. At first I totally knee-jerked and thought this kid was pretty pathetic for putting so much excitement into such a lame game character. Then I remembered that kids of that age probably primarily know Sonic from the cartoons that have been pumped out alongside the games for years. This kid probably totally digs Sonic Unleashed.

Actually, you know what? That's probably going a bit too far. With its frustrating camera and convoluted overworld, I'd have a hard time believing that anyone actually really loves Sonic Unleashed. But if I try to at least consider this kid's crazy level of fandom, the game at least makes a little more sense. I'm not outraged by its very existence or anything like that.

Of course, there's a danger to what I'm saying, because you could argue that I'm making the assumption that kids don't know any better when it comes to good and bad games, or that they aren't as good at games as, say, I am. For the record, I think that kids who play a lot of games probably know the difference between good and bad, but if they're anything like I was back then, they'd rather play a bad game than no game. Also, being a fan of a property can go a long way, regardless of age. If you were some kid who was way into the Sonic cartoon or something, you could probably look past a lot of Unleashed's flaws. But then, I'm guessing. Because just about the last thing I want to do right now is watch a Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon.

To that end, I think I'm going to stop playing Sonic Unleashed. Kids' games really aren't our specialty around here, and writing one more review that says "HEY GUESS WHAT THIS SONIC GAME PRETTY MUCH TOTALLY SUCKS AND WHILE I'M AT IT LET'S TALK ABOUT HOW MANY THINGS I REMEMBER FROM SONIC CD" doesn't do anyone any good. But, for the record... hey, guess what? This Sonic game pretty much totally sucks. And while I'm at it, let's talk about how many things I remember from Sonic CD. It was awesome. And you could travel through time. And it was the last truly great Sonic game for most people of our relative age group.

So to those of you who keep spending valuable blog time trying to "save" Sonic with a bunch of "great ideas about how Sega should reboot this ailing franchise," just get over it. It's a lost cause. Sure, the games should be a better than they are, but it seems totally obvious to me that they're not even attempting to reach players who remember the original games in the series.

As an aside, Brad just pointed out to me that Mario games are still good. My response to that is that Sega isn't Nintendo. With stuff like Super Mario Galaxy, Nintendo is living the glorious Disney dream of making products that appeal to new players while scratching the nostalgia itch in all of us who grew up with Mario games. To expect that to be the norm--especially from a company that's changed as much as Sega has since the 90s--is straight-up crazy.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    It's usually pretty easy to figure out who a game's intended audience is. Kids' games are usually clearly marked with, you know, friendly pictures of penguins or Hannah Montana. Games that kids should avoid usually come in blood-red boxes with tiny, brown screenshots on the back and use words like "post" and "apocalyptic" on the back, because when you grow up, you stop thinking about what it would be like if you could run really fast and start silently praying for the end of the world.

Sonic Unleashed came in as another in the long line of attempts for Sega to freshen up the Sonic name with some all-new gameplay. In that one, he occasionally turns into a "werehog" and bashes up the scenery with stretchy Plastic Man arms. I played a meaningful chunk of it, and I sort of hate it. It reminded me that I've sort of hated almost every "new" Sonic game that's come along since Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast, and even that was only really a novelty due to the newness of polygonal Sonic. "Boy," I kept thinking, "Sega sure doesn't seem to be able to capture what made Sonic fun back on the Genesis." Sure, I'm not the first to think this way. It's pretty much become the standard mantra for players in a certain age range. We remember the original Sonic. He was edgy, he was fast, the games were simple but fun. But I was also 15 when the game was originally released. And in the 16-bit era, "edgy" meant "he impatiently taps his foot when you don't move." Standards were way, way lower.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder what we all saw in those Sonic games. It was a simpler time. That's about all I've got. So why does Sega keep trying to push out more Sonic games? Well, the answer's probably pretty simple: Sonic isn't for me. It hasn't been for quite some time. While those of us who remember the early days keep expecting the series to grow up alongside us, Sonic has been squarely aimed at its core market--kids--all along.

Check this video out. 

This kid loved Sonic so much that he wanted a hedgehog as a pet. When he discovered that his city made owning a hedgehog illegal, he spent like three years fighting to get the hedgehog ban overturned. He succeeded and the local news covered it. At first I totally knee-jerked and thought this kid was pretty pathetic for putting so much excitement into such a lame game character. Then I remembered that kids of that age probably primarily know Sonic from the cartoons that have been pumped out alongside the games for years. This kid probably totally digs Sonic Unleashed.

Actually, you know what? That's probably going a bit too far. With its frustrating camera and convoluted overworld, I'd have a hard time believing that anyone actually really loves Sonic Unleashed. But if I try to at least consider this kid's crazy level of fandom, the game at least makes a little more sense. I'm not outraged by its very existence or anything like that.

Of course, there's a danger to what I'm saying, because you could argue that I'm making the assumption that kids don't know any better when it comes to good and bad games, or that they aren't as good at games as, say, I am. For the record, I think that kids who play a lot of games probably know the difference between good and bad, but if they're anything like I was back then, they'd rather play a bad game than no game. Also, being a fan of a property can go a long way, regardless of age. If you were some kid who was way into the Sonic cartoon or something, you could probably look past a lot of Unleashed's flaws. But then, I'm guessing. Because just about the last thing I want to do right now is watch a Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon.

To that end, I think I'm going to stop playing Sonic Unleashed. Kids' games really aren't our specialty around here, and writing one more review that says "HEY GUESS WHAT THIS SONIC GAME PRETTY MUCH TOTALLY SUCKS AND WHILE I'M AT IT LET'S TALK ABOUT HOW MANY THINGS I REMEMBER FROM SONIC CD" doesn't do anyone any good. But, for the record... hey, guess what? This Sonic game pretty much totally sucks. And while I'm at it, let's talk about how many things I remember from Sonic CD. It was awesome. And you could travel through time. And it was the last truly great Sonic game for most people of our relative age group.

So to those of you who keep spending valuable blog time trying to "save" Sonic with a bunch of "great ideas about how Sega should reboot this ailing franchise," just get over it. It's a lost cause. Sure, the games should be a better than they are, but it seems totally obvious to me that they're not even attempting to reach players who remember the original games in the series.

As an aside, Brad just pointed out to me that Mario games are still good. My response to that is that Sega isn't Nintendo. With stuff like Super Mario Galaxy, Nintendo is living the glorious Disney dream of making products that appeal to new players while scratching the nostalgia itch in all of us who grew up with Mario games. To expect that to be the norm--especially from a company that's changed as much as Sega has since the 90s--is straight-up crazy.
    cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By cstrang

"And in the 16-bit era, 'edgy' meant 'he impatiently taps his foot when you don't move.' Standards were way, way lower."

This.

And it's true, Sonic is a kids franchise.  We are no longer kids.  We are not supposed to like Sonic anymore (despite the obvious decline in quality as well).

Mister_Snig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mister_Snig

I enjoyed the Sonic series up until 2: Battle. After that, things started going downhill IMO.

Well not downhill, the series kinda dove off a cliff.
    Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Xandurson

Did anyone else notice that in the video above the map it says, "Christmas With Comes True", anyone?

Zergvasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Zergvasion

KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Jeff said:
    "penguins"
    Jeff said penguins.

No but really, a hedgehog for a pet seems pretty cool....
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#7  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Great article.  At least we still have the good old Sonic games available as options.  I still need to beat Sonic 2.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By bwooduhs

It really disappoints me whats happened to Sonic. The original is my favorite game of all time and the first game i ever played.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Jackel2072

Word, But Sonic will always have a special place in my heart. Even if i never want to play another Sonic game again. Good post Jeff!

:EDIT:
     One more thing all this talk about Sonic the last few weeks has me humming the song from the Chemical plant zone from Sonic 2.

harrydemeanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By harrydemeanor

I have to agree with you Jeff. The Sonic franchise has totally lost its touch ever since Sonic Adventure. It seems that Sega has not quite figured this out yet unfortunately. I hope that they stop making games from this franchise in the near future in order to help Sega in creating new IPs that could overtake Sonic's place as Sega's golden boy. The franchise needs to be put down Old Yeller style.

Sonic's time has come and passed, let it go Sega.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vaiz

I have two things to say:

First off, Sonic CD was the shit, Jeff, and I salute you for being one of the few people outside of the OMG HARDCORE old school sonic fanbase (Of which I am an admitted part of) to realize so.

Second, I think SEGA should hand the franchise off to a better developer. Seriously, imagine a (don't you dare draw comparisons to where Megaman has gone) Capcom done Sonic. They did alright (fantastic IMO) with Zelda, so they can work with IPs they didn't create just fine.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#12  Edited By LordAndrew

Kids like werehogs? They grow up so fast.

pomeroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By pomeroy

I'm only 17, so I don't know the "good" era Sonic games that well, but even when you take into consideration the fact that I was about 4 when I was playing Sonic games, I can still easily tell that those were a mile above the crap they release now.

walreese55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By walreese55

As a kid, I loved playing games like spyro and sonic that, once i really got into gaming, i found out got horrible reviews. i remember the sonic game i played was the 3d game with the second game with shadow. it was pretty fun; sure the controls were bad but it gave an extra challenge. these games are catered to kids who buy games their friends have or have gotten gifts from people who know jack shit about games and get the $20 game compared to the $50 or $60 games.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Death_Burnout

I mean i could of told you earlier Jeff, but in the UK, young kids love sonic...A LOT! its been no secret to me at least that that is what the audience is now...

And it sucks because i was around for the Genisis era of Sonic, and it was great then.

axxiomatiq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By axxiomatiq

Wait--if Sonic games are aimed at kids, why are some of them so hard?  I finished Sonic Unleashed (for a review, not for fun), and  some of the platforming in the final levels was really, really frustrating.  Maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine that any kid would be into that.   I'd argue that, regardless of the target audience, plain old poor design is still the main issue here.  

In my opinion, some smarter design decisions could actually produce a good Sonic game.  Not that it would ever actually happen.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#17  Edited By LordAndrew

Kids games are hard. I challenge you to beat all of Princess Debut's songs without screwing up. It's impossible. Impossible!

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Dude....
    _k1_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#19  Edited By _k1_

I've been saying this for years... Sonic has always had cartoons, comics, merchandise, etc. all aimed at kids. His best outings are on portables, which are mostly played by kids.  His games still come out on the PS2 and on the Wii, which are cheap to make, and bought by parents for their kids.  Etc.

Platformers aren't state-of-the-art gaming like they were in the Gensis days.  'Mature' players don't play them any more, so it makes sense that Sega wouldn't target them.

I don't think you should stop reviewing Sonic games though.  Just stick to the handhelds.  Sonic Chronicles, Sonic Rush, and maybe Sonic Rivals.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By ch13696

The article makes sense. I loved sonic back then. So that's why I'm only playing the sonic games on XBLA. Sonic isn't meant for 3D from what us adults see. You put sonic back onto 2D then he's great again.

Anyways, lets just leave it at that and not talk about anymore future sonic games. For God sakes dont talk about it. Leave him for the kids.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By danielkempster
    Jackel2072 said:
    " One more thing all this talk about Sonic the last few weeks has me humming the song from the Chemical plant zone from Sonic 2. "
    CURSE YOU!

*starts humming Chemical Plant Zone theme*
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By jakob187

Sonic games have to only be for kids?  Look, I don't know about you guys, but I don't think that Sonic should have to be of the same par and quality as, say, Looney Toons Acme Arsenal.  That's kind of a ludicrous idea.  Now, are we the target audience?  No, and Jeff makes plenty of good points to show that.  However, that doesn't mean WE shouldn't be able to enjoy the game either.

There is a reason that Mario works well to this day and creates quality games...or actually, there are a couple of reasons.  One of the primary ones is that they don't stray too far from what they know, and as AC/DC proves time and time again - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Mario has done that.  There's also the fact that they keep it fun to play but challenging as well.

Sonic, on the other hand, was able to put out good, quality games at one point.  Let's be honest:  there's no reason to expect less out of it.  To say that Sonic is ONLY aimed at kids is kind of...iffy...given that there is a huge outcry from old school Sonic fans.  Also, look at a game like Dark Brotherhood, an RPG released by BioWare!!!  I mean, I can't that I've played the game myself, but it's not like Super Mario RPG was necessarily aimed at kids...was it?  =  /

Moreover, I played Sonic the Hedgehog on 360.  If a kid can figure out more stuff in there than I could, then I tip my hat to him...because it took me FOREVER to figure out just how to do the stupid coin dash in the very first level!!!  Sure, kids are playin' CoD and Gears and whatnot as I type this...but that doesn't mean Sonic needs to be dead in the water.

Also, in interviews for Sonic Unleashed, there were plenty of times during playthrough demos that the developers and PR people were talking about how this and that was kicking back to the old school days.  Now...why on Earth would they say that?  Just to net us old schoolers in for an extra sale?  Maybe...maybe not.  We all know that the quality of Sonic games has been questionable as Hell for our age group, but I don't think MOST companies seriously want to discount an age group as large as ours, especially when we come from the heydays and inception of console gaming!!!

Jeff, I'm sorry that you are giving up on something that you hold fond memories of (and yet, you are holding on for dear life to Bionic Commando...which I'm as psyched as the next person about, but I'm also not expecting much from it than a DMC clone with a swinging arm).

Sega obviously wants to appeal to the old time crowd, or they wouldn't be throwing all these kick-backs to the old games into all the new stuff.  Why else would there be this 2-and-1/2-D stuff in Unleashed?  The problems are simple:

• Stick with one style of gameplay through the whole experience
    • Offer branching paths
    • Bring back the Chaos Emerald levels
    • HIS NAME IS DR. RO-FUCKING-BOTNIK, NOT DR. EGGMAN!!!

The end.
    digital_sin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By digital_sin

I had the same issue with city hall when I was 10 and wanted my own Italian plumber. Sadly, they made a pretty strong case and I couldn't get the ban overturned.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Venatio

Jefff I have a question to you. You mention it in alot of articles including this one

Well my question is, do you really want the world to end? Are you looking forward to it or are you just kidding around?

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By TheGamerGeek

"you could argue that I'm making the assumption that kids don't know any better when it comes to good and bad games, or that they aren't as good at games as, say, I am."

You said some could actually know the difference and I kinda agree but I also know that if I was 6 or 7 right now and you handed me Sonic Unleashed, I'd be like "This is awesome, yay, Sonic!" But that doesn't happen. I really hate to see parents at stores looking through Wii games and being like hey, that has Sonic, he'll love it, and honestly, that's true but still, the game is garbage and I give props to every parent that actually want's their kids to play good games.

Avatar image for redactedprofile
    RedactedProfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RedactedProfile

Sonic love is a pretty subjective statement. And this is an topic i actually have a couple things to say on.

look im not gonna lie or sugar coat it: I personally hate all the new mario games since Super Mario World. On the flip-side im a total psycho for anything Sonic. I play all the games, i read the comic on occasion, and ive even gone back and watched the SATAM cartoon , both seasons, in 2 sittings.
    I dont regret a second of it.

Both Mario and Sonic have grown up with the times, Mario is still, very much a kids game, and so is Sonic. People have less hard feelings about Nintendos fatass plumber getting shot through space as he cutely wiggles his arms everywhere, and nobody complains when his core platforming mechanic is immediately changed when he turns into a fricking BEE.
    Oh but no, not for Sonic, the moment a new gameplay mechanic past Run and Jump is introduced, no matter how silly or logical, people cry blood.  You know, at the very least, the mode WAS done well.Opening the mind for 20 seconds and letting something for a change youd come to realize that its not simply a half-baked thrown in feature, but integrates into the core gameplay quite well, which is more than alot of franchises can say in the first place, ESPECIALLY Sonics!
    He COULD have been running around collecting Treasure or Fishing. Thats all i gotta say. They delivered a pretty-polished gameplay feature, and i dont know about you, but it was JUST fine the way it is. How you played it, was your own deal.

No, Unleashed isn't perfect, and NOBODY expects it to be a competitor to the Mario franchise. And no, i don't expect everyone to love the Werehog, id be daft if i said "just look past it". But what you said up there Jeff, is one very specific thing: growing up with a franchise does certain things to you, especially if the franchise refuses to grow up to your expected standards. Everyones got their own opinion on what a good game is and isn't, everything is a pretty subjective statement, your most hated game in history could be my favorite game of all time (obviously bad titles aside of course [aka Big Rigs and Sonic 06 :p]), its all about letting in a little understanding and a bit of an open mind when it gets into the grey area. So of course, its not gonna be for everyone.

Of course, im one of those "fans" who take his favorite franchises for what they are and does his best to enjoy what hes given, rather than what the so-called 'fans' THINK it should be.
    The customer isn't ALWAYS right you know.

I liked Sonic Adventure 2, i liked Shadow the Hedgehog, and Sonic CD, and I like Sonic Unleashed. But i didn't really like Sonic '06 or Sonic Heroes. My favorite in the franchise is Sonic The Hedgehog 2, and the Second season of the original Saturday Morning cartoon show is the only way to go.  Does this show i have bad taste in franchise adoration? Hell no, it means i stick to my principles through thick and thin, take the punches, and keep coming back for more. As a famous fictional boxer once said "Its not about how hard you can hit, its about how hard you can GET hit, and keep coming back for more" (or close to that anyways)

heres an answer to your ails though, this is from my perspective:
    Sonic isn't for "kid kids" like Mario is, Sonic is an alternative character for those who are supposed to desire more than what a baseless mascot has to offer. Its a true shame that many of those who consider themselves a Sonic fan do not realize that themselves.

For the record, Mario is fine dont get me wrong, im just not a fan. 

But truthfully, i don't know what everyone wants in a Sonic game, im hearing "if they just did speed levels" but then i hear the complaints of "Hes now going TOO fast" and even absolutely RIDICULOUS claims such as "The speed stages have terrible camera" make me want to punch an Xbox Live Squeaker in the chops everytime.
    And with such CONFUSING feedback, how do you expect SEGA to take it? They've already taken it back to the drawing board based on the popular feedback. And honestly, a game comprised entirely of the speed stages would wear its welcome so thin itd make an anorexic cry in jealousy. Remember, the SEGA games could be completed in a couple hours if your taking your time, and a game in this day and age being sold for $60 a pop needs to have some length to it, and people whine bitch moan and complain when the same level geometry is used in a title.

So i dont know wtf you guys want, so what im saying here is: I dont want SEGA to change what its doing NOW. As they're doing just fine.
    (Besides, its not like the Werehog is a permanent character anyways)

i await the flames :)

hanktherapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By hanktherapper

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By time allen

Sonic Heroes was a great game, so there is at least one decent 3D sonic game.

Wright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Wright

I guess I understand the kid wanting a real one, since sonic is SO similar to a real hedgehog. I just hope he doesn't feed it at night....OMG WEREHOG!

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TwoOneFive

he should dip that thing in blue paint!

Det1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Det1

...wait what.
    you mean to tell me...
    this child...has more pictures of hedgehogs than I have girls getting tentacle grape'd?

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#33  Edited By DrRandle

Yeah that pretty much all makes sense. Thanks Jeff for giving me some perspective in Sonic's existence. The DS ones are kinda fun, though, right? Right?

Scarabus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Scarabus

Jeff. You forget one thing. These people, the Sonic fans, will NEVER give up!! If they could they would have done so a long time ago.
    But I still appreciate you saying it. Some of the worst offenders of irrational Sonic fandom is from within the gaming press itself. Guess what? I just read a preview on the next Sonic game (the one where he wields a fucking sword) and it said something like "Yes we know all the other games sucks ass but this one looks to be pretty good". When will it end!?

killawogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By killawogg

crap ...... they got my home town in the news and its about a damn hedgehog ...thanks topeka thanks

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

The only reason I personally don't enjoy the game is simply the lack of control... I mean, its not a genius game, but any part when you don't have to control more then two directions it is ok. ANy other part though, you don't seem to be able to turn fast enough to avoid the walls. Which is really REALLY annoying. I think if they had kept to the 2D stuff, and just threw in shiny graphics, and left the 3D for fighting, and added some depth to the running stuff, it would be 10 times better.

mrsmiley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mrsmiley

Great article, Jeff. I'm as jaded for Sonic as you were, but as you said, I also remember the glory years, where I would spend 6-8 hours on the floor playing Sonic on my gamegear. One time my legs fell asleep, and I thought I was done for.

I downloaded the demo for the sonic game that was released about a year ago, and vowed then to then play another new Sonic game. Pretty sure that still stands.

Donkey_Kong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Donkey_Kong

Say whatever you want, Sonic Adventure 2 was an AMAZING game.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#39  Edited By mike

Part of me wishes that hedgehog bites that kid's face off one day...then his mom can spend three years campaigning for the evil little monsters to be banned again.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Obviously their aim is to appeal to the kids, but that doesn't mean they can't still make good games.

Look at Mario, Pokemon the Lego games or even something like Spyro.  They're all very clearly aimed at the kiddies, but they also still have very good gameplay and can be enjoyed by those of all ages.  I'm perfectly happy to accept the fact that Sonic isn't aimed at someone my age, but that doesn't excuse the crappyness of *all* the recent games.  Why has Mario been able to move into the 3D realm so well and still be enjoyed by everyone where as each subsequent Sonic game has been worse and worse?

And yes, I consider Unleashed to be worse than 2006.

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41  Edited By Aaron_G

Makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#43  Edited By spiceninja

Why is that kid wearing a Kansas Women's Basketball shirt?

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mackgyver

They need to follow in the footsteps of Sonic for the DS. Keep the original Sonic moments 2D with updated graphics and anything else can go 3D. Do that for the consoles and they will see a comeback for Sonic.

P.S. and it's Robotnik, NOT Eggman.

smallville123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By smallville123

Great post Jeff!

FullMetal_Mac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47  Edited By FullMetal_Mac

Thanks for the article Jeff and yeah Sonic games have declined in quality for the last few years and to me the last good Sonic game was Sonic Adventure 2 and after they started called Dr. Robotnik "Eggman" that's when it also when downhill, but thank goodness we still have the older games and fan hacks to get away from the newer games.

ferrarimanf355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ferrarimanf355

Sega needs to kill Sonic and make a new Daytona USA game. Who's with me?

carolynp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By carolynp

IMO, they should stick to making DS Sonic games. I think the Sonic Rush games capture what made the original games cool and improve upon it considerably. In other words, I think those are the best Sonic the Hedgehog games ever.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50  Edited By vidiot

The problem with Sonic, as you have said has been documented over and over again usually beginning with the incredibly sophisticated concept that Sonic games should be focused on...Sonicrunning....and that the product should also be technically sound. So far Sonic Team has shown time and time again the lack of understanding regarding these very, basic concepts.

The reason Mario has had such success is that the developers at least know who he is. Sonic Team by contrast is turning their mascot into a fucking werewolf.

I'm not going to give up on Sonic due to the fact, as you pointed out: Everyone knows how to fix this problem. Why the heck do you think their are so many blogs documenting it? It's transcended the concept of fanboys wishing their mascot be handled with more (any) respect at this point. The whole situation is just infuriating to me now: watching a chance for what could be something more than a trash product turn into another missed opportunity.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.