Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Split/Second

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Split/Second is an arcade racing game by developer Black Rock Studio. The game takes place in a made-for-TV city designed for destruction.

Anyone missed this game?

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GTxForza

Dear arcade-style racing game fans in the Giant Bomb forums

When I was browsing for new videos from TraxionGG's official YouTube channel, this is what I saw from them, then this reminds me of my fun memories of playing this game and I really wish this IP returned along with Bizarre Creations'Blur. Oh well, Bizarre Creations and Black Rock Studio were both shut down on February 11th, 2011 and June 30th, 2011 respectively.

P.S As I know, Split/Second and Burnout both appeared to be inspired by Konami's Thrill Drive series.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Split/Second was awesome. Just such unfortunate timing that and Blur came out the same month. While quite different, they were both over-the-top arcade racers and new IPs. Split the market, and killed them both. I still play these once in a while.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SethMode

I always loved the concept, but while the idea appealed to me I just couldn't get into the game itself. Had hoped for a sequel that maybe would click with me, but it felt like that game was here and gone in an instant.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@judaspete: I don't think they split the market and that's why they flopped. I think they flopped because the market for large budget non open-world Arcade racing games that are not Kart racers (which Blur kind of was) basically died.

Look at the racing game market right now. There's Gran Turismo, Forza, Need for Speed, and....what?

A bunch of mid-budget sims or simcades.

Plenty of kart racers.

Trackmania (kind of its own thing) and...?

I guess the Dirt series is still going, or at least hasn't been formally canceled. F1 and Nascar both have games. There's some motorcross stuff like the Monster game. But Ridge Racer? Dead. Games like Nail'd and Fuel? Gone. There's some licensed stuff like that new Hot Wheels game but track based arcade racers are a niche genre and were on their way out when Split/Second and Blur came out.

I miss those games (and a lot of other genres that have become niche) but I think these games are expensive to make and just don't sell well enough in the modern market.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I was going to say "Yes, but Activision doesn't", but Activision published Blur, so I guess I don't miss this game as much as I thought I did.

Avatar image for lonelyspacepanda
    LonelySpacePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 11

Love love LOVE this game. I wouldn't say it's perfect or anything but it's the closest thing to Burnout 3 and 4 we ever got. As someone who -- hot take incoming -- didn't care for Paradise, I really cherished this game. Blur came out around the same time and was also very good but this one right here was just awesome. Motorstorm: Pacific Rift is the only other racing game I'd put in that tier. I don't really like racing games just these sorts of arcade racers that are filled with chaos and crashes.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 103

#7 Marino  Staff

Split/Second was cool, but about halfway through the campaign, the rubberbanding gets so incredibly ridiculous that the game becomes no fun anymore.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Agreed with Marino. Rubber banding doomed this one for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.