Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars Battlefront

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Nov 17, 2015

Large-scale infantry Star Wars battles return in this reboot of the Star Wars: Battlefront series (from the studio behind the Battlefield series).

New part of the SW: Battlefront website lays out all unlocks in the game

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Hayt

So a while ago there was a leak taken from the Battlefront Alpha that revealed a great deal of what was would be in the game. I speculated in a thread as to whether this was all of the content but no one else seemed to want to weigh in haha.

Well today they unlocked a part of the website that is going to serve as part of the companion experience for the game ala Battlelog and it seems to list all the unlocks in their entirety. Good news is I was right, the leaks from the beta were more or less everything excluding customisation. The bad news is I didn't want to be right and would much rather there be more.

Obviously a game is more than the bulk of content but with 11 primary weapons and 19 "gadgets" and 5 perks (which are equipped in groups of 3 Star Cards and 1 Trait) it's looking a little slim to my eye. However the most pleasing discovery here is the appearance unlocks which although limited largely to picking a face for your soldier (or helmetless Storm Trooper) seem to have a lot of variety.

I'm left mixed as has been my feeling with this game for a while. I really like what they have here and it seems very lovely crafted but regarding the primary weapons in particular I feel it's a little too close to Titanfall for me to be comfortable. While there are many cosmetic unlocks the functional unlocks are much more limited and knowing the game has no prestige I worry that long term people will lose interest having mastered all the weapons and unlocks and move on. But I'm just one person, what do you think?

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ottoman673

The game has always looked extremely thin on content to me, and the lack of any full single player campaign lowered my interest.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Eh, it sounds like it has a decent number of modes and maps to stay fun. That's not even including the battle of Jakku maps that are releasing free for everyone a few weeks after launch.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hayt

@sackmanjones: short term of course but in games like this and particularly in games with matchmaking the less popular modes are abandoned and you are left with the biggest modes as the only ones left. And it's been confirmed for the 40 player modes they only have 1 map per planet. So 4 maps.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

At least when Titanfall came out there was nothing else to play. There's no way I'm paying $60 for this game. Let me know when they add prequel stuff and I can be an ARC Trooper, then we'll talk.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Hmm, that does seem kind of thin.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

eh, for the type of game this is its not really about unlocks. If this were Battlefield or something, sure, though I always hated having to unlock useful things for vehicles even in those games.

No biggie in my opinion. Again, this isn't "super serious competitive multiplayer" stuff, but more Star Wars escapism and fun...like the old Battlefront games.

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeah it looks pretty darn thin. The more I hear/see of this game the less I'm interested in it. To be fair though the lack of guns isn't that much of a killer, I think its the lack of a single player campaign and lack of classes.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boboblaw said:

Yeah it looks pretty darn thin. The more I hear/see of this game the less I'm interested in it. To be fair though the lack of guns isn't that much of a killer, I think its the lack of a single player campaign and lack of classes.

This. I know EA struggles with single player campaigns in their multiplayer focused games, but the solution isn't to simply remove the single player without lowering the price. It's to improve the single player...

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21: I could argue that very few games are super serious and I certainly wouldn't count Battlefield or Call of Duty in that camp yet they both have miles more content than this game seems to have. This is still a 60 dollar game that took 2.5 years to develop coming out of a very well known studio, I don't think you can handwave away that with "it's just some escapism"

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

The Beta completely spun me around on it. I think it's a fun-time game and I'm looking forward to the full thing, but I agree that it doesn't seem to have much longevity, which probably is the main reason to stay away from the Season Pass.

There is something strangely compelling about the fact that it is so barebones. In a way it condenses the experience, making it a tighter, sleeker package, a bit like Rocket League or Splatoon.

I think the apparent lack of complexity might be what turn core gamers off, but EA has come forward and stated that they are targeting a younger audience and lapsed gamers, which makes perfect sense if you see their excellent ads for the game that hits home on my generation of nostalgia.

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CheapPoison

@mcfart said:
    @boboblaw said:

This. I know EA struggles with single player campaigns in their multiplayer focused games, but the solution isn't to simply remove the single player without lowering the price. It's to improve the single player...

Removing the singleplayer if there was a price drop would be fine too!
    OR the multiplayer must be absolutely stuffed with content.

both aren't the case!

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkbeatdk: I can't be the only one that gets a weird vibe from that second one right? Yoda and Obi-wan disappeared like that when they died. It strikes me as a sort of "I can go live in Star Wars forever all I need to do is kill myself" psycho thing.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By shirogane

@hayt said:

@darkbeatdk: I can't be the only one that gets a weird vibe from that second one right? Yoda and Obi-wan disappeared like that when they died. It strikes me as a sort of "I can go live in Star Wars forever all I need to do is kill myself" psycho thing.

Even ignoring that part, it's still a pretty creepy ad.

The first one is pretty good though.

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#15  Edited By DarkbeatDK

@shirogane@hayt: You're right, actually. It kinda reminds me of the ol' Balamb Garden Copypasta, that was going around on the gaming forums a while back. Maybe they should have done something more in line with the first one, where adults and kids pretend they are in Star Wars and suddenly they are... Something like using a broomstick as a lightsabre, pretending your bike is a speederbike or sitting in the front of the metro and pretending you're doing the trench run on the Death Star.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

A bunch of videos from the EA Access 10-hr preview have started popping up.

Loading Video...

It does strike me as rather thin in terms of content, but I still think I'll pick it up if only to admire the amount of work that has went into crafting the look and sound of the game. Doesn't hurt that it's something that can be played in splitscreen in my flat.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.