Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Awesome New Front End

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By DoctorWelch
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

So, I go to boot up StarCraft II and get a new update. I could tell this one seemed to be making different changes than the usual updates just by way of seeing different progress bars and such. Then, next thing I know the game has this new awesome front end, and it also looks a hell of a lot sharper. I doubt the gave the entire game a graphical update, and maybe it's just my eyes playing tricks on me, but everything seems to look much much better.

Was this something that everyone knew was going to happen, or did they pretty much just stealth this out there?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Sackmanjones

Hmm got my new pc and wanted to buy this but it's still a bit pricy. Especially with the expansion out soon (I think it's soon? Maybe?)

Sorry to not add to your thread at all

liako21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By liako21

that game will stay pricey for the next 10 years.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By haffy

Yeah I knew the update was coming, I don't really like everything in it to be honest. I think they've removed MPQ editing so it's not possible to do the little things that people had added on. I had BW sounds on my US account and have this picture on my EU account. Can't do either now I think. Also stuff like stronger team colours is taken out. It doesn't bother me too much, but some colour blind people really liked that and I enjoyed the BW sounds.

I think the updates pretty good overall though, judging from what I've seen, especially the arcade section.

No Caption Provided
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Spoonman671
    Updating now.

@Sackmanjones said:
    Hmm got my new pc and wanted to buy this but it's still a bit pricy. Especially with the expansion out soon (I think it's soon? Maybe?) Sorry to not add to your thread at all
    I'm pretty sure they said it will be out before the end of the year.
    DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By DoctorWelch

@Sackmanjones said:

Hmm got my new pc and wanted to buy this but it's still a bit pricy. Especially with the expansion out soon (I think it's soon? Maybe?) Sorry to not add to your thread at all

No worries, and the game is definitely worth it if you are going to play the multiplayer.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By zyn

Hm... I still have the old U.I.

No Caption Provided
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ

The fog of war looks all crazy now. I love it.

NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo

EU patch is coming on 3a.m.

Shibbxyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Shibbxyz

They made some good changes and then some pointless ones, like having it order 4v4 to 1v1 it makes no sense to change something like that, also the pictures for the race select just don't seem as good

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By CJduke

@Shibbxyz said:

They made some good changes and then some pointless ones, like having it order 4v4 to 1v1 it makes no sense to change something like that, also the pictures for the race select just don't seem as good

I completely agree. And making one huge button for a ton of functions, but then having one huge button for the custom game stuff alone seems silly to me. Not really liking this new set up too much.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12  Edited By zyn

@NaDannMaGoGo said:

EU patch is coming on 3a.m.

Ah okay. Thanks for the info.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Vodun

@CJduke said:

@Shibbxyz said:

I completely agree. And making one huge button for a ton of functions, but then having one huge button for the custom game stuff alone seems silly to me. Not really liking this new set up too much.

http://chausse.org/2012/06/the-disaster-of-redesign/

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By haffy

Fair few bugs came along with patch 1.5 lol. Can't rebuild a hatchery if larva is in the way, which is really annoying.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nephrahim

I think the new interface is pretty snappy. I can't help but think the Arcade stuff is just the next step for them getting all RMAH on the custom maps though.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Shibbxyz said:

also the pictures for the race select just don't seem as good

What is that thing for the Zerg, anyways? One's a ghost and the other's a zealot, but I'm not quite sure what that Zerg creature's supposed to be, if it even is anything specific.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Trilogy

@FluxWaveZ said:

The fog of war looks all crazy now. I love it.

Is it not just pitch black for you? That's what the fog is like for me. Maybe its a graphical setting issue or something.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Trilogy said:

Is it not just pitch black for you? That's what the fog is like for me. Maybe its a graphical setting issue or something.

Not quite. My settings are all at their maximum and it's not pitch black because there are always visible details within the fog. They do mention that they have reworked the fog of war to "more accurately display units that are positioned near the edge of the fog" and, to me, it looks as if it's clearer when the fog of war dissipates as opposed to before. I especially noticed this the first time my first Overlord was moving out across the map after the patch.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Nephrahim

@FluxWaveZ: I'm not sure.... Maybe one of the new HotS units? (The Viper, or whatever that new zerg caster is?)

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@SamDrugbringer: Nah, the Viper has a solid shell with wings and spikes and stuff. Unless they totally changed the look of it compared to the last time we saw it, it can't be the Viper:

No Caption Provided

It's obviously not a Swarm Host, either. It's not a Locust or a Broodling or another obscure unit like that...

Oh wait, it's a changeling. Odd unit to choose to represent the Zerg.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Trilogy

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Trilogy said:

Not quite. My settings are all at their maximum and it's not pitch black because there are always visible details within the fog. They do mention that they have reworked the fog of war to "more accurately display units that are positioned near the edge of the fog" and, to me, it looks as if it's clearer when the fog of war dissipates as opposed to before. I especially noticed this the first time my first Overlord was moving out across the map after the patch.

Never mind, I just played a game and the fog wasn't pitch black. It might have been lick that for me because I was in the campaign before.

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By baldgye

not going to be back on my rig for another few weeks but 1.5 was pretty well advertised and even had its own beta.... that said, im still not a fan of the front page\ladder page and they have for some fucked up reason made ur profile even more meaningless than they did when they removed your w\l ratio like wtf blizz...

...also pissed im not going to be able to use stronger team colours anymore... another wtf blizz... fine if u dun let people mod the game files but why when you applaud a mod and then total remove any chance of it being in the game... ugh

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Skytylz

@haffy said:

Fair few bugs came along with patch 1.5 lol. Can't rebuild a hatchery if larva is in the way, which is really annoying.

I think that has been an issue for a while. I've had it happen before this patch.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By haffy

@Skytylz said:

@haffy said:

I think that has been an issue for a while. I've had it happen before this patch.

You sure it wasn't the egg and not the larva? They've put in the patch notes that they're fixing the larva issue with a hot fix coming sometime soon.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Skytylz

@haffy said:

@Skytylz said:

@haffy said:

You sure it wasn't the egg and not the larva? They've put in the patch notes that they're fixing the larva issue with a hot fix coming sometime soon.

Maybe it was an egg, whenever I play anymore I play random so I don't play zerg that often.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Ben_H
    @Skytylz said:

@haffy said:

@Skytylz said:

@haffy said:

Maybe it was an egg, whenever I play anymore I play random so I don't play zerg that often.

Would have been an egg. Larva move out of the way when you go to build a hatchery.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.