Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Ubisoft Removes Upcoming PC Games From Steam [UPDATED]

Dberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#302  Edited By Dberg

This is one of those rare occasions where "lol" is the only right response.

The only ubisoft games I've bought in the last ten years have been ones where I didn't notice ubisoft where involved, which made the surprise uplay ontop of steam a giant flipped finger in my face and ended with me not playing them. All they're losing off of me is those accidental buys.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't mind Uplay, I don't mind Steam, I don't mind Origin, but I DON'T WANT more than one of them and especially not tiered over eachother. Steam is the one I'm using, so I'm getting all my games there. It's not worth my time or the hassle in maintaining multiple accounts and multiple friends list. I'm already fucking sick of remembering logins and passwords online. I just want to play games fast, easy and reliably.

bakumatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#304  Edited By bakumatsu

So much hate towards Origin and Uplay. I have games on both services and, untill today, I had zero problems with them. Also, all of you guys do realize that if you bought the game through steam, you still had to have uplay installed and running to actually play the game? It happened to me with Far Cry 3.

Hef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

OH you mean that service that has managed to lose my save games twice with updates? Yeah I sure love that service!

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@dberg: Get 1Password, Lastpass (which is free), or one of the other programs that creates and remembers/stores passwords for you.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308  Edited By justicejanitor

I was already on the fence of getting those games but no thanks, I've had to many issues with UPlay, I don't trust them with my credit card/paypal information.

Woowookins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, I'm good, thanks.

Avatar image for kenniworldpeace
    kenniWORLDPEACE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

while the internet does have a bad habit of being hyperbolic, especially about things that it doesnt like, this is one of the rare instances in that the 'hate' or however you want to label it, for uplay, is more than justified.

-the ubisoft catalog is not good enough, nor large enough to justify the uplay platform

-uplay is missing a large amount of features, already available to players on steam

-cant join friends games from uplay overlay/main menu (have to manually go into game, then hope the game allows that feature.but guess what, far cry 3/splinter cell blacklist/or the rayman games didnt have that option. i have no reason to believe future games will)

-no group text/voice chat independent of games - you have to be in the same game to chat with multiple friends simultaneously

-servers are slow to download content. unreliable online play, dropping connections for no reason at all.

-constant pop-ups, being bombarded with ads before and after every launch. steam does this as well, but it only pops up when you launch steam for the first time. no need to close an add after every subsequent game is exited, like i did while playing splinter cell blacklist. i get booted from the ubisoft servers, causing blacklist to freeze up, i have to alt-tab quit out, and then you have the nerve to make me close an ad for dlc for the same game that just broke itself? and then you disguise it by putting the message "thanks for playing splinter cell blacklist" no, im not doing that.

-that ugly blue ui is, well, ugly. admittedly this is a personal preference, but id bet im not the only one to say it would do them well to change that...

steam just makes all games better. the overlay is HUGE for me. one simple keystroke and i have access to my friends list, messages, other apps, my music library that i can play during game with steam's built in music player, links to game news and updates that launch in steams own web explorer (its not great, but its more than enough), steam forums, i can change my settings, view other player profiles, add/remove block people..and more, all without having to alt-tab out of the game....like really, uplay aint got shit on steam, its not even close. this isnt the "coke vs. pepsi" scenario people like to paint it as..its coke vs 'that bottle of warm urine thats been sitting in the sun for a few days'...there is no comparison. and we havent even mentioned the super restrictive uplay DRM, or the fact that valve sells all kinds of games from all kinds of publishers. this would be a different argument if steam only sold valve games, but they also sell damn near everything else. and even if they did only sell valve games, this would still be a losing fight, as uplay doesnt even come close to offering a feature set comparable to steam. and uplay further segregates players' gaming libraries. the inconvenience of having to manage multiple gaming libraries isnt worth it.

if youre going to force players to use your proprietary nonsense, at least have something worth me downloading your bloatware. i mean come on, no feature comparable to big picture mode, no greenlight equivalent, no curators, the games arent organized in a clean, user friendly way like steam, the uplay community is nonexistent, no gaming news related to the game when highlighted..i could go on and on. i also forgot to mention, steam works.

look im all for competition. generally speaking, it forces companies to compete for consumer attention, and when companies compete for consumers, the consumer always wins...but this aint the way to do it man. you gotta come correct if youre going to do this, and all i see is ubisoft going "hey guys, i know you like your Ferrari, it looks really nice and performs well, but come check out my honda civic...i mean yea, its missing a wheel, the paint is chipped, and the oil needs changing, but you should totally check out these spillproof polyester seats!!"...gtfoh with that nonsense...

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Steam but I've always seen this as an issue of "Not on Steam" but instead "Only on one store/Not as many stores as possible". Was Ubisoft's games on any other stores like GoG or Origin?

tranceaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Maybe if Titanfall released on Steam the community wouldn't be so dead.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@humanity: Yeah I said that on purpose because that's just my personal experience with all those services. Not to try and highlight any of them as being good or bad.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Must be nice for Valve to have an army of journos and gamers with their fingers on the boycott button every time someone decides to not give Valve their cut.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#316  Edited By BonOrbitz

Wow. Is uPlay really that terrible? My only experiences with it were playing Far Cry 3 and Far Cry: Blood Dragon, but they launched from Steam. There were a few times FC3 crashed, but I'm not sure if that was due to the game or the uPlay service. Otherwise, no problems for the most part. Maybe it's for the best I'm not buying FC4 at launch because of me prematurely dumping my FC4 money into Steam the day it was pulled, but I'm really disappointed in all of this. Serves them right, however. It was their advertising on Steam's store front that assured me that the game would be available on that platform! Fuck 'em.

@tranceaddix: Your avatar is hilarious and awesome!

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317  Edited By jayjonesjunior

@torrim said:

I don't like how they advertised it for sale using Steam's platform them pulled it. That's an unbelievably dirty move no matter how much competition and diversity in PC platforms might be necessary.

Really shitty.

Blunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't Ubisoft want my money?

Oh well, I'll buy something else.

WarOnHugs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't have bought their last Gen games were it not for steam sales. So they better get their current Gen games back on steam.

nERVEcenter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Well this is just fine, because has Ubisoft made a couple of games, which I bought, which have been thoroughly awful ports and experiences through and through. I've already sworn off giving them money for another of their products until they do right by their customers with their user experience and port quality.

Thankfully, I'm not really in the market for their games due to taste. Brotherhood was the only Assassin's Creed I ever played for more than 3 hours, and lo, the formula for their games became extremely clear to me from the outset. I got bored of that quickly and never touched another Assassin's (or other post-Brotherhood Ubisoft game) again.

sternone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#321  Edited By sternone

Given the nightmare that was Watch Dogs on PC and the major issues that uPlay had that basically crippled people's ability to experience that game, I'm surprised that they perceive that this won't hurt their PC sales in a meaningful way. Obviously Ubisoft wants a bigger piece of the pie, and the ability to dominate the experience in the same way that EA wants to with Origin, which I can understand, despite my being completely turned off by it.

Honestly though, I think its a slightly bigger surprise that Activision hasn't yet leveraged the Battle.net client of Blizzard for its own purposes as well.

Not that I want any of this! Steam is popular for very, very good reasons. What this really tells me though is that unless I'm willing to deal with their unique services and whatever issues they may have, console versions of these games are going to be my first option. Luckily, the relative power of the Xbox One and the PS4 compared to modern PCs (as opposed to the relative power of the 360 and the PS3 compared to modern PCs) is pretty good for the time being, so voting with your wallet by ignoring the PC releases entirely and focusing solely on supporting their games on consoles seems both practical and easily achievable without needing to miss out on these games, which seem for the most part to be pretty promising, entirely.

Zamolxes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People keep saying that its good to have so many services because it offers competition to steam, but lets see how happy people will be when every publisher and their dog creates their own service, and you will have 15 friend lists and 15 different logins.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zamolxes said:

People keep saying that its good to have so many services because it offers competition to steam, but lets see how happy people will be when every publisher and their dog creates their own service, and you will have 15 friend lists and 15 different logins.

Competition is a good thing. Don't disparage it for that fickle reason. Besides you'll probably have a different or smaller friendslist in non-primary clients.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

@mcfart said:

@zamolxes said:

Competition is a good thing. Don't disparage it for that fickle reason. Besides you'll probably have a different or smaller friendslist in non-primary clients.

Removing your product from competing services is removing competition not creating it.

Nethlem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I'll probably be playing Ubisoft games on the PS4 in the future. Good to know.

And use Uplay on your PS4 instead? So what's the big difference, besides you handicapping yourself to playing inferior versions of games?

I mean holy fuck what's up with the reactions here? This changes nothing, even prior to this Uplay had been mandatory to play Ubisoft titles. So where is all this misguided rage coming from? Certainly not from people who recently played any Ubisoft titles and certainly not from people who had been around when Steam had been the "new thing". When Steam started out, it had been the worst broken mess to ever grace PC gaming and the only thing it had going for it had been Half Life 2, back then we didn't even know if HL2 had been actually worth the transition, but look where it's at today after 11 years.

So much whining about a change that's pretty much no change at all.
    Same applies to this "fracturing the community" BS, like PC gaming had ever been some kind of homogeneous community, no it never has been.

If you like your walled garden communities so much, without any alternatives, then just stick to console gaming. While real PC gamers will make use of the versatility that PC gaming actually offers.

I like how Origin gives out free games on the house.
    I like how Uplay allows you to exchange achievement points for in-game stuff.
    I like how Battle.net simply works, hassle free.
    I like paying less for games, when i just buy them for one specific service.

Are these services perfect? Of course not, Steam also didn't start out perfect. But the only way these services will get any better, is if people actually use them, so the developers can figure out all the problems and fix them. Without a userbase stressing/testing your service, it's really really difficult to improve the service.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem is I use prepaid cards. I bought my steam cards for Farcry 4 and by the time I got home the game was no longer on Steam.

I can only afford one new game this winter. The game I wanted, I can no longer get.

This is fucked up.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#327  Edited By Samaritan

@blackout62 said:

Patrick, it might be worth pointing out that the current Ubisoft catalog is still available on Origin.

Well that's just downright weird! That can't possibly be... intentional... right?

Vinnypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shit and I really wanted to play "The Division" on PC.... but Uplay is a busted space hulk. the one thing I can say for origin is it at least functions.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It annoys the hell out of me when publishers do this. Don't remove games from the service, instead, just don't release your future games on the service. Archeage did this shit too, and the Glyph client is a piece of shit, makes me wish I had bought it on steam when I had the chance.

madroxcide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whelp guess I'm not buying these games. You did it to yourself Ubisoft.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d000a93730da
    deactivated-5d000a93730da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

@humanity said:

Uplay isn't that bad people, settle down. You press play game and it launches the game, last time I checked it doesn't sodomize you each time you turn it on.

I used Uplay extensively for a while and apart from the Watch Dogs release never had any problems with it.

It doesn't sodomize you physically. Just emotionally.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

So much hate towards Origin and Uplay. I have games on both services and, untill today, I had zero problems with them. Also, all of you guys do realize that if you bought the game through steam, you still had to have uplay installed and running to actually play the game? It happened to me with Far Cry 3.

Then you have much lower

@mcfart said:

@zamolxes said:

Removing your product from competing services is removing competition not creating it.

Huh?

kirkdouglas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#333  Edited By kirkdouglas

Good news: they're back, in Canada at least.

No Caption Provided

Back on the front page too:

No Caption Provided

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Either there was a technical hiccup or something got reversed as AC Unity is showing up in the steam store search just fine right now. (noon EST November 7th.)

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

Looks like they're back on Steam in the USA.

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Oh wow. Never thought that Ubi would go the EA route. Oh well, I'm gonna get Far Cry for PC anyway.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I can confirm that they are back on the US Steam. I'm looking at the Far Cry 4 page at this very moment.

timeshero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@ebo said:

@dream431ca said:

Oh wow. Never thought that Ubi would go the EA route. Oh well, I'm gonna get Far Cry for PC anyway.

How about you do something that Patrick here doesn't like to do and actually go for the actual facts, without letting your bias write the story.

Games are back on steam, so where's the retraction or edit Patrick? And maybe next time do a bit more digging instead of jumping on a bandwagon.

Maybe instead of throwing a childish tantrum in the middle of the grocery store, you could address Mommy and Daddy directly, quietly, and respectfully about your concerns regarding about how badly you need fruit roll-ups.

groposo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#342  Edited By groposo

I was considering buying assassins cred unity and was just waiting for my paycheck to go and buy far cry 4. Now i am not gonna buy any of them. This is just a bad move, uplay sucks and i don't want to suport it. What pains me is that people are gonna pirate these games to get back at ubisoft, but that just hurts the industry. This move shows lack of vision. I fucking hate when companies do this, i know they want to make money but this shows that they don't understand and don't want to understand how people work.

Disemboweler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skullpanda1: Good news, they're back up on Steam. Scoops' article was speculation, and requires an edit IMO!

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

@horseman6: I don't understand how anyone would think that placing restrictions on an open market would create competition; people should be free to buy their product wherever they want.

There is a big difference between being competitive and restricting your competition; Uplay and Origin need to make their services more attractive that is the path to true competition.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rabble rabble rabble

CrippWox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They probably going to do the same with Batman Arkham Knight WB and take it from steam and only on their own new service. I already got origins and steam i don't want to have two more installed and i never use origins. Only did use it for Dead Space 3 and that game was disappointing.

Midjet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Back on Canadian steam... still at 70$. Too much for one game for me.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speculation nothing. This happened. Though @patrickklepek might want to throw an update or Editor's note in here somewhere.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#350  Edited By Aetheldod

Well they are back too on the mexican steam page fyi..... what a weird thing to happen , maybe the backlsah was bigger than they thought it would´ve been or it was simply a hitch that got fixed , we may never know

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.