Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter X Tekken

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

The two leaders in the fighting game genre collide in this ultimate tag-team mash-up. Will you cross the line?

Why Street Fighter X Tekken could be great

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Edited By AndrewJD

I really like both the Street Fighter and Tekken series of games. I've played all of the Tekken games and always really enjoyed the characters and style to the game. Street Fighter was something I played a little bit when I was younger but I had more interest in Mortal Kombat and other stuff for whatever reason. Since the release of SFIV though that has been all I've played and Tekken has sort of fallen off my radar.

GET HYPE!!!!
     GET HYPE!!!!
    With the announcement of SF X Tekken at Comic Con on Saturday my interest has been piqued though. You see the thing I never really liked about Tekken was the fighting system. Too much emphasis on long combo strings damaged what could have been a really great series of games. So, with the introduction of Tekken characters into the SF universe I am once again HYPED about Tekken.

We don't really know anything about the games yet and although I am more excited about the capcom version the idea of Street Fighter characters playing within the Tekken fighting system does have some interesting aspects to it. How the characters art changes to fit the Tekken universe, movement and combos they can perform and seeing the SF characters fight in a 3D world. Also Zangief vs Kuma but I guess that can happen in both versions.

So if you have any interesting thoughts or ideas concerning either version of the game, then please post them as I would love to hear them :)

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By AndrewJD

I really like both the Street Fighter and Tekken series of games. I've played all of the Tekken games and always really enjoyed the characters and style to the game. Street Fighter was something I played a little bit when I was younger but I had more interest in Mortal Kombat and other stuff for whatever reason. Since the release of SFIV though that has been all I've played and Tekken has sort of fallen off my radar.

GET HYPE!!!!
     GET HYPE!!!!
    With the announcement of SF X Tekken at Comic Con on Saturday my interest has been piqued though. You see the thing I never really liked about Tekken was the fighting system. Too much emphasis on long combo strings damaged what could have been a really great series of games. So, with the introduction of Tekken characters into the SF universe I am once again HYPED about Tekken.

We don't really know anything about the games yet and although I am more excited about the capcom version the idea of Street Fighter characters playing within the Tekken fighting system does have some interesting aspects to it. How the characters art changes to fit the Tekken universe, movement and combos they can perform and seeing the SF characters fight in a 3D world. Also Zangief vs Kuma but I guess that can happen in both versions.

So if you have any interesting thoughts or ideas concerning either version of the game, then please post them as I would love to hear them :)

KarateLincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By KarateLincoln

Tekken didn't really focus a lot on long combo strings. A launcher attack is usually pretty damn risky to try out of nowhere.

And this game will likely focus a lot on huge combos. As has been observed in the video, attacks can be chained from weak to strong.

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By VicRattlehead

I am a little apprehensive about the namco developed version of the game… although the general fighting in tekken 6 was pretty good the modes that surrounded it where less than that… the story campaign thing was awful and the online barely worked…. Im also not sure about street fighter in 3d as I haven’t played the ex games and have heard there kinda bad… in the end ill buy both versions good or bad cause im a fool..  

captaincanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By captaincanada

Im really interestedin this to but im not sure how tekken will fair against the extremem balance based fighter that is street fighter, there will need to be some projectile counters as tekken fighters dont shoot projectiles or anything of that nature
    AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AndrewJD
    @VicRattlehead: The less said about the campaign the better I think. And your not a fool for hoping your just naturally optimistic :)

@CaptainCanada: There are lots of characters in Super SFIV that don't have projectiles so they have plenty of ways around that. I don't see it being an issue.
    lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By lead_farmer
    @VicRattlehead said:
    "  in the end ill buy both versions good or bad cause im a fool..   "
    Yup.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By CL60
    @CaptainCanada said:

" there will need to be some projectile counters as tekken fighters dont shoot projectiles or anything of that nature "

Not every SF character has projectiles.

Zangief
    T. Hawk
    Adon
    Cammy
    Honda
    Blanka
    Balrog
    Vega
    Bison
    Gen
    Guy
    Abel
    Fei Long
    El Fuerte
    Rufus
    Hakan 
    Ibuki

All have no projectiles. So Tekken characters having no projectiles is not an issue..at all.
    AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AndrewJD
    @CL60: Exactly :)
    OddyKnocky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By OddyKnocky

I used to lvoe Tekken when I was younger. But over the years I went from that to Soul Calibur, to Virtua Fighter, to Street Fighter and other 2D games. Compared to all these other games Tekken feels pretty horrible, to me. Which is why I was initally disappointed with the announcement, I was hoping for something else. I don't really like the Tekken charaters at all... well that's what I thought, until I saw that gameplay trailer tease thing. Just Seeing Kazuya and Nina in an engine I actually like made all the difference. So now I'm pretty hyped, and looking forward to seeing what Capcom does with it. Namco too, I guess, but I'm not as hopeful as I don't like the Tekken feel. But who knows? I might even pick up Tekken 6 at some point to find out about some of the newer characters (by which I mean post-Tekken 3, the last one I owned).

But before all that, MVC3 of course.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By frankxiv

i like tekken and street fighter equally but i'm better at street fighter than at tekken. 

best of both worlds.

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AndrewJD
    @OddyKnocky said:
    "But before all that, MVC3 of course."
    Yes. There's so much fighting game goodness to be had I'm not sure I can handle it!!!
    Murray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Murray

I'm more hyped about Tekken X Street Fighter, because I adore Tekken's fightingsystem. Never got the hang of Street fighter's.. But the art here looks awesome. I will prolly buy it, and finally learn the fightingsystem. Now I got my characters from Tekken, and that's a good enough reason for me to buy it.

PS: Some Tekken-characters also got projectiles, like Devil.

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AndrewJD
    @Murray: Even though I'm more hyped for capcom's version I'll still almost certainly get both. Plus, if they are released a few months apart from each other then you don't even have to choose one to play over the other (at least to begin with anyway).

As for the whole fireball's don't work in 3D business, like you say it has been done before and worked OK. I don't see any problems there, they will just have to change characters like Ryu to fit the Tekken fighting system better i.e rely less on fireball attacks.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I'm not a fan of tekken, however i'm sure capcom is going to make it work well.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By skrutop
    @VicRattlehead said:
    " I am a little apprehensive about the namco developed version of the game… although the general fighting in tekken 6 was pretty good the modes that surrounded it where less than that"
    That's been Namco's problem for some time.  They try to mix things up by adding a bunch of throwaway games and modes that add zero value to the game.  Then they mess up the basic story mode with drawn out, unskippable cutscenes and QTE's (I'm looking at you, Soul Calibur 3!).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.