Super Mega Space Blaster Special Turbo by Bare Knuckle Development is a fast-paced space shooter that merges modern and retro game mechanics. It is Bare Knuckle Development's first console release with versions on Nintendo Switch, PS4 and Xbox One as well as Steam(Win/Lin/macOS). The game has 5 modes, 15 space blasters, 40+ challenges, online leaderboards and features both local cooperative and competitive play.
The game features 5 modes each with different objectives. In 'Save The Colony Mode' the objective is to remotely pilot a space blaster and rescue blastronauts by transporting them to a rescue ship at the bottom of the screen. In 'Survival Mode' the objective is to conserve ammunition and fuel and defeat the big-boss. In 'Protect Mother Mode' the objective is to protect a huge mothership at the bottom of the screen for as long as possible. In this mode the player can score combos to gain extra rewards. 'One Shot Mode' and 'To The Death Mode' are 2-player competitive game modes.
In all modes the player acquires screen-clearing big-bombs, shields, magnets and power-up weapons by destroying enemies. In the 3 none-competitive modes 2-player local co-op play is possible. In the game the player can collect coins called 'credits' by destroying enemies and by completing challenges. These credits can be spent in a shop to upgrade power-ups and weapons, to acquire perks, and to unlock extra music. The credits can also be spent in a mini-shop in the loading screen to acquire extra power-ups such as shields, big-bombs, and protectors. The player will start the game with anything purchased from the mini-shop giving them an advantage against the aliens.
- 15 space blasters to unlock.
- 5 game modes.
- Loads of strange alien enemies and a challenging boss to battle.
- Local coop & competitive multiplayer.
- Full controller support for all platforms.
- 40+ challenges.
- Loads of upgradable power-ups and weapons.
- An in-game shop with perks and upgrades.
- Achievements on Xbox One & Steam and Trophies on PS4.
- An 80's infused synth-pop sound track by Electric Fan Death.
The game is set in 2051. The Earth has been destroyed through years of pollution. The remaining humans launch 9 motherships into space to seek out an inhabitable planet. One mothership is successful in finding a planet but the planet is inhabited by an alien race. Humans on Earth remotely pilot fighter space craft called space blasters, launched from the mothership, in a battle against the aliens for the planet. Colony ships are sent to the planet and are destroyed giving the remote space blaster pilots new missions to rescue the survivors.
Platform Exclusive Features:
As well as each platform having an exclusive space blaster, the game also takes advantage of many of each platform's unique features:
Nintendo Switch Exclusive Features:
- Supports all 3 Switch play-modes: handheld, table-top, and TV (1080p)
- Supports local 2-player with 2 horizontal Joy-Cons (this means that turrets always face forward as there is no right stick)
- Supports Nintendo Switch Pro controller
- HD rumble
- Cloud Save Data
PlayStation 4 Exclusive Feature:
- Supports 4K on PS4 Pro
- 36 Trophies including a platinum
- DualShock 4 lightbar support
- Dualshock 4 vibration support
Xbox One Exclusive Features:
- Xbox One X Enhanced: Supports 4K and 4x anti-aliasing on Xbox One X
- 36 Xbox Live Achievements with a total Gamerscore of 1000
- Xbox One controller vibration support
- Xbox Live Cloud Saves
Steam Exclusive Feature:
- 4K Support
- 36 Steam Achievements
- Support for many controllers including DualShock 4, Xbox One/360 controllers, & Nintendo Switch Pro controller
- Steam Cloud Save
- Steam Remote Play Together
- Keyboard re-mapper with 2 binding per key and an easy reset button