Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition Coming Home

• 75 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff

No Caption Provided
    The road to Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition's home release has been a weird process of "will he or won't he?" Twitter messages from the franchise's current curator, Yoshinori Ono. It felt like he was going back and forth about the process, at times attempting to paint it as an internal struggle to get Capcom to release its most recent updates to Street Fighter IV for home platforms. I don't know that anyone ever truly believed that the Arcade Edition updates wouldn't make their way out of arcades, and leaks from ratings boards, which rated Arcade Edition for release late last month, certainly gave a clearer picture than Capcom was. Either way, now it's official: Yes, you will be able to acquire the Arcade Edition of Super Street Fighter IV for your Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3. And yes, for those of you clamoring for it, the game will be returning to the PC, as well.

You'll be able to get Arcade Edition as a $15 download if you already own a copy of Super Street Fighter IV, which is the right way to distribute what, in the grand scheme of things, isn't as large of a leap as the one from regular Street Fighter IV to last year's Super update. If, for whatever reason, you don't own Super but want to get involved now, the game will also be released on a new standalone disc. The DLC version of the content will hit on June 7, while the standalone disc will be available on June 28. The standalone version of the game will be the only version released on the PC, so don't expect a downloadable update to turn your existing PC copy of SFIV into SSFIVAE.

The biggest updates in Arcade Edition are four new characters. Yun and Yang--series veterans who first appeared in Street Fighter III--are joined by Evil Ryu and Oni, a glowing, even more demonic version of Akuma. Yeah, I'm not that crazy about it, either. The game already has its fill of characters that can throw out shoryukens and raging demons, and I'm not sure that it really needs two more. That said, the four characters get the same treatment as the existing roster, with lightly animated intro videos, voice in English or Japanese, and so on. New titles and icons will also be added to the game to further support these new fighters.

No Caption Provided
    The game has also undergone a lot of balance changes, many of which appear to have been met with a mixed reaction, if the folks in the fighting game community I've asked about it are to be believed. I'm probably not the best person to judge the changes, as I haven't really kept up with Super too much after its release. As part of a desire to maintain compatibility with owners of Super Street Fighter IV that don't upgrade to Arcade Edition, the game will offer both sets of rules, listed as "v1.03" in the options screen of the PS3 build I played. On that same options screen, you can toggle between standard Super and Arcade Edition. Note that this doesn't mean that you can play one version of a character against another. If an Arcade Edition player matches with a Super player, the Super rules will be used, preventing the use of the four new characters in the process. Online matchmaking has been updated to allow players to specify if they'll accept connections from both versions or only pair up with AE-enabled fighters.

The replay channel, which lets users watch other fights, is getting an update, as well. A new "Elite" channel that showcases players with more than 3,000 PP will be added to give more players an easier way to find good fights. Replays can be shared from player to player in this new update, and you can also designate up to five players that you wish to follow, and replays from those players will be delivered to you. Assuming that the world's top players are still out there, slugging it out online instead of holing up in Japanese arcades or other offline locations, this could be a really cool way to watch some of the best fights possible.

The game will also offer support for additional downloadable costumes, so it seems safe to expect more packs of clothes for the various fighters after AE's release in June. It's also great to see the game returning to the PC. While it wasn't always a dramatic difference, running original SFIV on the PC in a higher resolution with some extra graphical effects enabled has always been the best-looking version of the game. But with other fighting games like Street Fighter X Tekken on their way, it's hard to get that excited about this final (?) update to the Street Fighter IV line.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jeff

No Caption Provided
    The road to Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition's home release has been a weird process of "will he or won't he?" Twitter messages from the franchise's current curator, Yoshinori Ono. It felt like he was going back and forth about the process, at times attempting to paint it as an internal struggle to get Capcom to release its most recent updates to Street Fighter IV for home platforms. I don't know that anyone ever truly believed that the Arcade Edition updates wouldn't make their way out of arcades, and leaks from ratings boards, which rated Arcade Edition for release late last month, certainly gave a clearer picture than Capcom was. Either way, now it's official: Yes, you will be able to acquire the Arcade Edition of Super Street Fighter IV for your Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3. And yes, for those of you clamoring for it, the game will be returning to the PC, as well.

You'll be able to get Arcade Edition as a $15 download if you already own a copy of Super Street Fighter IV, which is the right way to distribute what, in the grand scheme of things, isn't as large of a leap as the one from regular Street Fighter IV to last year's Super update. If, for whatever reason, you don't own Super but want to get involved now, the game will also be released on a new standalone disc. The DLC version of the content will hit on June 7, while the standalone disc will be available on June 28. The standalone version of the game will be the only version released on the PC, so don't expect a downloadable update to turn your existing PC copy of SFIV into SSFIVAE.

The biggest updates in Arcade Edition are four new characters. Yun and Yang--series veterans who first appeared in Street Fighter III--are joined by Evil Ryu and Oni, a glowing, even more demonic version of Akuma. Yeah, I'm not that crazy about it, either. The game already has its fill of characters that can throw out shoryukens and raging demons, and I'm not sure that it really needs two more. That said, the four characters get the same treatment as the existing roster, with lightly animated intro videos, voice in English or Japanese, and so on. New titles and icons will also be added to the game to further support these new fighters.

No Caption Provided
    The game has also undergone a lot of balance changes, many of which appear to have been met with a mixed reaction, if the folks in the fighting game community I've asked about it are to be believed. I'm probably not the best person to judge the changes, as I haven't really kept up with Super too much after its release. As part of a desire to maintain compatibility with owners of Super Street Fighter IV that don't upgrade to Arcade Edition, the game will offer both sets of rules, listed as "v1.03" in the options screen of the PS3 build I played. On that same options screen, you can toggle between standard Super and Arcade Edition. Note that this doesn't mean that you can play one version of a character against another. If an Arcade Edition player matches with a Super player, the Super rules will be used, preventing the use of the four new characters in the process. Online matchmaking has been updated to allow players to specify if they'll accept connections from both versions or only pair up with AE-enabled fighters.

The replay channel, which lets users watch other fights, is getting an update, as well. A new "Elite" channel that showcases players with more than 3,000 PP will be added to give more players an easier way to find good fights. Replays can be shared from player to player in this new update, and you can also designate up to five players that you wish to follow, and replays from those players will be delivered to you. Assuming that the world's top players are still out there, slugging it out online instead of holing up in Japanese arcades or other offline locations, this could be a really cool way to watch some of the best fights possible.

The game will also offer support for additional downloadable costumes, so it seems safe to expect more packs of clothes for the various fighters after AE's release in June. It's also great to see the game returning to the PC. While it wasn't always a dramatic difference, running original SFIV on the PC in a higher resolution with some extra graphical effects enabled has always been the best-looking version of the game. But with other fighting games like Street Fighter X Tekken on their way, it's hard to get that excited about this final (?) update to the Street Fighter IV line.
    mongoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By mongoose

what?

I feel dirty now.
    proflate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By proflate

so excited to see what people are gonna do with evil ryu and oni

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Skald

Yay! Downloadable expansion!

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By peacebrother

$15 is way less than I was expecting from Capcom.

GET HYPE
    SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By SlightConfuse

15 bucks seems reasonable

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By VicRattlehead

well looks like ill be buying the disc, dlc and pc version... yup

Seesic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Seesic

Hopefully the balancing isn't too extreme and maybe this means all the next updates will be dlc too, if there are any more.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Kyle

I don't know, I'm glad it will be downloadable, but $15 seems a bit pricey for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
    deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

"You'll be able to get Arcade Edition as a $15 download"

Got a good case of hype right now!

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @Kyle said:
    " I don't know, I'm glad it will be downloadable, but $15 seems a bit pricey for me. "
    Then you cannot download it. :) I mean really you can play online without the AE content.
    vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#12  Edited By vigorousjammer

this was a smart way to handle things, I'd say.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By ImperiousRix

Excited to get my hands on the game and try out all the new bits and bobs.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#14  Edited By Oni

I'm in this game

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By KaosAngel

10 bucks a Turbo edition closes it off.

SSFIVAET.  I'm calling it now.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jeffsekai

ONLY 15$?!?! HYPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Brake

That match making stuff sounds super weird. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out it practice.

Avatar image for thelegendofluke
    TheLegendofLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheLegendofLuke

HYPE ACQUIRED.
    Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Example1013

Good. I always felt this game was lacking more Akumas. Now we just need a straight-up Shin, and everything will be all set.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Commisar123

Wow that was way more reasonable than I was expecting this to be

rndmtask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By rndmtask

Excited

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By mpgeist

Yes! PC version!!!!

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iamjohn

Jesus Christ, more fucking shoto characters?

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By 234r2we232

running original SFIV on the PC in a higher resolution with some extra graphical effects enabled has always been the best-looking version of the game

Yep. Because that's why we play Street Fighter, Jeff -_-

spartanzerox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By spartanzerox

Finally time to get into SF!

Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
    deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mpgeist said:
    " Yes! PC version!!!!

"
    puh puh puh pee cee YEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By skrutop

Not what I was hoping to hear, actually.  I wanted to see the balance tweaks rolled out to everyone and have the DLC characters cost the money (since I won't be using them anyway).  I'll hold off to see how easy it is to find AE games.  I'll upgrade if there's a lot of people playing.  If not, then I won't bother.

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By AndrewJD

I know I'm stupid to argue this point but Oni plays nothing like Akuma, or any other character for that matter.

Anyway, $15 HYPEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Contro

Day one DL, Evil Ryu & Oni look awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b8656eaf424
    deactivated-64b8656eaf424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I would have preferred $10, but I guess $15 is better than a disc only option.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By toowalrus

Rad, I'll probably wait and buy the PC version. Can't wait.

Sergotron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By Sergotron

Nice too this finally confirmed. I will now be waiting here patiently.

rlhyeung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By rlhyeung

YEAH can't wait to start tier-whoring!

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By phrosnite

PC!!!! Now the only other thing I need is MK9 for the PC!!!

Sacerdos87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Sacerdos87

This news and the fact that that Street Fighter X Tekken is coming to PC has me super dope mega hyper excited. Glad they didn't forget us for too long.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#37  Edited By Legend
    @Commisar123 said:
    " Wow that was way more reasonable than I was expecting this to be "
    Yeah, I thought it would be $20 at least.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#38  Edited By Undeadpool

$15 is definitely the correct price point. We'll see what the lay of the land looks like come June, but this has moved from "absolutely not" to "wait and see."

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SuperWristBands

PC version means more nude mods, right?

What?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JJOR64

Now we play the waiting game.

fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#41  Edited By fillmoejoe

I was ready to get pissed when I saw the box art. I think 15 bucks sounds good, beats a map pack.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JJOR64
    @iAmJohn said:
    " Jesus Christ, more fucking shoto characters? "
    While Evil Ryu is pretty much a different version of Akuma, Oni really isn't a shot.  Sure he has the same moves, but he plays completely different.
    TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

Wow, now I have to split equal time between this and Mortal Kombat now. 

Avatar image for chubbaluphigous
    Chubbaluphigous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Chubbaluphigous

Whoever came up with the idea to add an Evil Ryu and an Eviler Akuma needs to be fired.  Also the guy that approved that needs to go too.

Giacomito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Giacomito

I think Capcom is one of the companies most in-tune with their fanbase at this point.
    I bet that releasing SFxT and AE on PC is not something a lot of companies would do after the reports that SFIV was the most pirated game for PC that year.

AND 15 dollah for AE?
    JUNE 7TH.. GET HYYYYYPE!!

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By JJOR64
    @Giacomito said:
    " I think Capcom is one of the companies most in-tune with their fanbase at this point.I bet that releasing SFxT and AE on PC is not something a lot of companies would do after the reports that SFIV was the most pirated game for PC that year.AND 15 dollah for AE?JUNE 7TH.. GET HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE!! "
    Fixed.
    Giacomito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Giacomito
    @JJOR64: Thanks! I wish there was spell-check for "not hype enough" =(
    TheLastNeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By TheLastNeo

Awesome.. Im pretty excited about this.  More Street Fighter = Win . 

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By ajamafalous

PC version? Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By GreggD

I'm glad the DLC doesn't arrive until June, as I just don't have the money right now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.