Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Syndicate

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 21, 2012

Syndicate is a reinvention of the 1993 game by Bullfrog. Developed at Starbreeze Studios, the game puts players in the shoes of Miles Kilo, one of the cybernetically-enhanced Agents who wages war against enemy mega-corporations on behalf of EuroCorp, his sponsor syndicate.

Demo impressions

• 62 results
    Chojin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Chojin

Positively surprised. Liked it a lot. Really enjoyed how you`re forced to work together.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By artgarcrunkle

Got into a game that ended a few seconds after I joined. A long, obnoxious trailer that I couldn't skip started playing then I uninstalled the demo.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

Only played one match but I enjoyed it a lot. The gameplay feels very nice and smooth, if not a little loose at times. Thinking about it, all of Starbreeze's games have a similar looseness to the controls, but Syndicate is their best-playing game to date. Really liked the co-op mechanics, too. Like L4D, they're implemented in a way that encourages actual cooperation, rather than feeling like it's just four people that happen to be playing the same level. I was already planning on getting this anyway, as the single-player interested me enough, but the co-op seems very well done. I can only hope that the other 8 missions are more varied and are perhaps a bit longer.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic

y no pc

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By kingzetta

is there dubstep in it?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By NTM

I didn't know the demo was out, that's cool. Is it just online play or can I play with my brother split screen as well?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Chojin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Chojin

@NTM: 4 player online co-op only

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hitchenson
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NTM

@Chojin: Right. So you're saying, only four player co-op online, no two person to one console with two others that play online?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    Chojin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Chojin

@NTM: Right. If I didn`t totally miss a split screen option. Didn`t really look for it but I`m 99% sure;p

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed it - played through with 1 other person and we had a good time, though it was a bit tricky in places. Also the enemies just keep coming at you it seemed like, and you just have to wait for a bit of a lull to run forward some ...feels a bit archaic now that sort of thing.

Shooting was fine but yeah I really like all the additional stuff, healing especially - just keeping my friend topped up while he stood out and got rid of enemies. Hacking all sorts of things from a great distance is nice too, and defusing grenades - pretty much everything on the left bumper I enjoyed. No melee? Couldn't find one anyway.

Could be interesting, when more abilities and upgrades come into play too. Nicely surprised.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By mesoian

Genuinely surprising. I had a lot of fun with it. I've played through it about 5 or 6 times now and the unlocks and abiliites make it really interesting.

This game just got on my radar in a big way.

thebrainninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By thebrainninja

@artgarcrunkle said:

Got into a game that ended a few seconds after I joined. A long, obnoxious trailer that I couldn't skip started playing then I uninstalled the demo.

Well, what matters is that you gave it an honest chance, and thus walked away with a reasonable impression of the game.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Wub wub wub wub-wub WUBWUBWUB-WUB

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Dreamfall31

Multiplayer demos are my least favorite demos. I don't get a sense of any of what the part about games I actually care about is like. The timed aspect is annoying too. Overall kind of cool looking, but just seems like a FPS in the future. Maybe the single player is better.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By Sooperspy

It seems alright. I'll try to get it off of Gamefly when it releases.

InsidiousTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By InsidiousTuna

Tried to download it from XBL earlier this afternoon, and it didn't show up in the marketplace. Been wanting to check it out. Good to hear people are digging it.

uberexplodey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By uberexplodey

Definitely had a good time playing this.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mordukai

I rather enjoyed it and that coming from someone who really liked the old games.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ares42

Liked the demo well enough. After a few runthroughs the scenario got pretty easy and predictable though. Not too crazy about the UI, especially the fact that half of the lobbies I got into never started as people didn't realize they had to pick a character. Have to agree with the guy that said multiplayer demos aren't great, especially coop ones. After just a few rounds I had already gotten more than enough of awful console coop action.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I had connection issues the first 4 times I got into a match, but that may just be my shitty college internet. Once I got in I had lots of fun. All my teammates were idiots that kept rushing in and dying though. I had to carry my team and heal them all the time.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AssInAss

Guys, let's play together co-op! My PSN: "Moeez"

razkazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By razkazz

Matchmaking's all sorts of messed up (as it usually is in demos), the movement felt pretty clunky to me and the guns weren't too satisfying to use, but it was decent fun healing teammates and flanking enemies in co-op. I also like the cyberpunk vibe but it looks kind of bland, reminiscent of Blacklight: Tango Down. And I thought it was weird that after me & 3 others completed a mission it loaded us back up in to the same mission without even going back to the lobby, and on 360 it froze on the load screen for me once. If this game's a hit after all the hate Brink (which has way more innovative team-based gameplay and original style) received that'll be kind of upsetting, but I wouldn't mind playing some more of it.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Three0neFive

@Hitchenson said:

@BeachThunder said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

y no pc

wait for it...

No PC demo. Our team chose to focus its resources into making the game as great as it could be. We hope you see that on 2/21/12!

=|

That's the dumbest fake reason ever.

Yeah, that's retarded. It's almost like they want people to pirate it as a "demo" so they can point to those numbers as an excuse to not bother with the PC.

If you make a demo, less people will pirate your game and you will make more money. How fucking hard is that to understand?

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By GunstarRed

I enjoyed it a lot, I like the idea of being able to heal dudes from a distance as you push forward.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drag said:

I enjoyed it - played through with 1 other person and we had a good time, though it was a bit tricky in places. Also the enemies just keep coming at you it seemed like, and you just have to wait for a bit of a lull to run forward some ...feels a bit archaic now that sort of thing.

Shooting was fine but yeah I really like all the additional stuff, healing especially - just keeping my friend topped up while he stood out and got rid of enemies. Hacking all sorts of things from a great distance is nice too, and defusing grenades - pretty much everything on the left bumper I enjoyed. No melee? Couldn't find one anyway.

Could be interesting, when more abilities and upgrades come into play too. Nicely surprised.

Melee is very inconsistent but it is there. Press the right stick and it goes into this sorta wonky animation. The enemy might have to be low on health before you do it though, idk.

I was very impressed, but sorta got a Brink vibe from it all. I didn't like some of the menu and the characters kind of sucked. I also didn't find a way to mute people in game, which also sucks. I liked the upgrades and there is a ton of them which is great. It really encourages team play, but seems like there are infinite monster closets, which is stupid. The graphics were fucking awesome though and the guns have a nice kick. Premise is great, too.

Also, any game that lets me slide into cover is a worth a purchase.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mesoian

One gripe I have is that the text is very very small. Like, more so than usual. I'm playing on a 48 inch HDTV, and was leaning foreward and squinting to read the information in the character menus to see what research or upgrades did. It looks very clean and very slick, but it's hellish to actually comprehend.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By Marz

It's fairly polished for a demo. I like it alot.

DEMONOLOGY_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DEMONOLOGY_24

any game that lets me shoot guys in half with a shotgun is good in my books and the layers of customization and the ability to research stuff is incredible for a game like this.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#33  Edited By Humanity

I think they should have given you beefed up guns in the demo. First time I played it I had mixed feelings because of the MASSIVE recoil every single gun has. When you spend time upgrading the guns, researching the new add ons and gaining new unlocks - then everything starts playing a lot smoother. My crazy wild gun started firing smooth, had a red dot etc. I upgraded my chip and could call on shield for my squad and backfire on enemies.

Backfire reloads too slow. I understand shield needs a slow recharge - or a lot of adrenaline to charge it back up - but backfire affects only 1 enemy until the last upgrade and takes forever to reload.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hitchenson

@Three0neFive said:

@Hitchenson said:

@BeachThunder said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

y no pc

wait for it...

No PC demo. Our team chose to focus its resources into making the game as great as it could be. We hope you see that on 2/21/12!

=|

Yeah, that's retarded. It's almost like they want people to pirate it as a "demo" so they can point to those numbers as an excuse to not bother with the PC.

If you make a demo, less people will pirate your game and you will make more money. How fucking hard is that to understand?

I like you.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mesoian
    @Three0neFive said:

@Hitchenson said:

@BeachThunder said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

y no pc

wait for it...

=|

For some reason, certain devs still have it in their minds that if you release a demo, people will only play the demo and never buy the full game (piracy argument aside). 

It's an odd theory that goes back to the early playstation days.
    QKT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By QKT

it broke. a lot. can't actually form an opinion of it because it would chug so hard.

Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Shookems

I couldn't really get into it. The game felt really, really janky to me. I probably would have enjoyed a single player demo more.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MeierTheRed

Pretty bad experience, controls arent the best, enemy AI was a bit weird sometime just all up in your face, and other times they seemed intelligent enough. In terms of gameplay it was pretty basic each section is a walled off killbox, eliminate enemies advance, very linear. From the demo i didn't get a real sense of the abilities and the breach system.

Hope the single player part of it is more interesting. Cause if i had to judge from only playing the co-op mission in the demo, its a no go on my end.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39  Edited By Seppli

I liked it well enough. Nothing to write home about though.

I really have increasingly more trouble enjoying games on consoles since I do most of my gaming on my PC. Everything is so low rez and low fov and low frames per second. Getting harder and harder going back. Seeing how some mobile devices have more than 3x more pixels per square centimeter than a1080p resolution 24 inch screen, 720p and lower rendering just is a blurry jaggy mess judged by modern standards, especially on big-ass TVs.

There's a PC version though? So if it turns out alright, I can actually play it with all the bells and whistles eventually. Good to know.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#40  Edited By Hector

Played one round last night. I had hella fun

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#41  Edited By Floppypants

Thought the gameplay was great. Hanging back, healing my team, and sniping was a lot of fun. I'm interested in how I can further specialize that role with the leveling system. I was going to get this anyway for the single-player, but the co-op in the demo now has me totally sold.

But I clearly have to switch my preorder from PS3 to PC. My biggest gripe with the demo is how ugly it looks technically. The resolution is terrible.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By fattony12000

There was some jank, sure, but the fact you can do that hacking/breaching/reloading/dart thingy/healing and shooting all at the same time is cool. Defusing grenades mid air is sweet too!

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Vodun

@Mesoian said:

For some reason, certain devs still have it in their minds that if you release a demo, people will only play the demo and never buy the full game (piracy argument aside). It's an odd theory that goes back to the early playstation days.

Umm, using that argument why would they release the demo on consoles, let alone PC?

Avatar image for deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc
    deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pre-ordered it on pc, played the demo on PS3 to get a hold of things.the game, the co-op part seems surprisingly nice.

only problem is that a whole lot of people don't know the importance of or how to heal and reboot teammates :(

also EA/starbreeze shouldn't title it as syndicate, because nomatter how hard I try to tell my friend the game is fine, all they do is just shoving "how good the original is" and bawwww about "how this game ruin the whole series" at me...

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AssInAss

Played 3 more hours of it, and have now upgraded my Kusanagi Sniper Rifle to have a side-scope which is so useful in close quarters! The sniper is a BEAST, sometimes you can totally quick scope which feels so good in close areas.

Playing it like Darkness 2 where you can multi-task with the shoulder buttons is very effective, especially when reloading you can breach/heal dudes or change the apps with the D-pad. I love the huge acrobatic jump you can do when sprinting, totally Mirror's Edge like.

The melee executions are so cool, you can do all the ones from the trailers. Just go up to any enemy, don't need them weakened. I love the one where you pull them down by the legs and stomp 'em in the face. I love getting the Chip Rip too, so brutal.

You think you won't need DART overlay, but it's useful when your teammates are down and need to locate the mini-boss and if reinforcements are coming. Also, reminds me of the intro to Johnny Quest! :D

I love the skill paths, with putting in research projects for certain mods, but not having to do an arbitrary 100 kills with that weapon like in CoD.

Also, the revolver can "gib" enemies in half, they in fact count how many enemies you gibbed, so there sort of is dismemberment.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#46  Edited By Lazyaza

I'd love to play the demo but the game is banned in my country so my only option is a PC demo that doesn't exist or waiting for the full version. sigh

delmariachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By delmariachi

Generic is probably the word i'd use...

Runs well, but doesn't exactly stand out in any other way... Another FPS.... Yaawwnnn...

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By Deranged

The demo was fucking rad! Loved the dubstep and it's truly a cyberpunk game. Wasn't even excited for this game before but now it's on my anticipated list.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#49  Edited By Commisar123

It seems like a slightly above average FPS I will not buy

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By JonSmith

I quite like it. I've reached the apparent level cap of ten, maxed out my shotgun, grenades, and my revolver of choice. Can't really remember their names off the top of my head, but oh well. Immensely enjoying the combat. My only real complaints are how a lot of the time, a game won't start due to nobody picking characters, the fact that sometimes when you try to vault over a railing, your character will get caught on top of it, and the fact that the R3 melee only works about half the time. Other than those nitpicks, it's pretty awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.