Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

Best looking third person game to date as well as best RPG?

• 117 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

#51  Edited By chronicsmoke

Id have to agree with your first point and as for your second well the game definitely is in my top 5 RPGS of all time

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By SirOptimusPrime
    @Icemael: Really, you're taking second-hand viewing of this game as the prime reasoning? I'm not going to insult your intelligence or anything, but it is more than CLEAR that the lighting, textures, animations, and various dynamic graphical things (weather, motion blur, etc) are much much better in a first hand viewing of TW2. It's almost obvious that this is trolling.

It simply is a better looking game than the rest. State from an artistic point of view next time, because the game (on a maxed out PC) runs far better and looks far better than consoles CAN, and the engine that is available bulldozes just about every PC setup available (minus multi-GPUs and such), and just like with Crysis will become fully realized within two or three years and will continue to look better when ubersampling is reliable and the game will run with 30+ fps. 
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By valrog
    @SirOptimusPrime: Not to mention that he said Alan Wake looks better. LOL
    zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By zeforgotten

The only thing I don't really like about it's graphics is Geralts hair, something about that just seems odd but it is without a doubt one of the better looking games out there.

I wouldn't say it's the absolute best RPG I've played in my life though, that title goes to another game I enjoyed a lot but The Witcher II is in the top 5 that's for sure
    EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55  Edited By EuanDewar
    @OdinsThunder said:
    Console trolls always make me LOL
    Why the fuck is your alignment to microsoft then?
    vidiots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56  Edited By vidiots

Incorret best looking game to date period.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#57  Edited By Rayeth

This game may be the best looking RPG I've played, but Planescape: Torment is still the best.  The Witcher and Witcher 2 can't even hold a candle to the writing in that game.

That said this is a far sight prettier.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#58  Edited By AhmadMetallic

is that even a question? 

it's the latest PC exclusive RPG, by a team of technologically-innovative PC enthusiast developers... so the answer is automatically yes
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#59  Edited By GunstarRed

I watched someone play it in my house for about 2 hours and I was instantly impressed with it's visuals, some of the lighting and foliage looks incredible  possibly even better than a game like Uncharted 2
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#60  Edited By spazmaster666

Saying it's the best RPG is a bit of a stretch and also highly subjective since it really depends on what you're looking for in an RPG. As for it being the best looking third person game so far, I would find it tough to disagree.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#61  Edited By animateria

Wait, wait, wait... So a new PC game that pushes most peoples GPUs to it's max (and then some) looks better than the best looking console games?

Color me surprised.... 

Or not.

Definitely not.
    gimmysumcowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By gimmysumcowbel

Getting a new laptop for college and i want it to be able to play this game.  Should an i7 2.7ghz, 8 gigs of ram, and a nvidia geforce 540M do it?
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#63  Edited By AlexW00d
    @gimmysumcowbel: Not particularly well, no.
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By AlexW00d
    @Icemael: The animation is much much better in this trust me. AC animation is pretty stiff at the best of times.
    And you can't really be comparing the architecture: Assassin's Creed 2 is based on real cities, it's not like they thought it up themselves, they just 'copied' it from real life. Whereas CDProjekt have actually taken the time to fully design their entire world, citing Slavic architecture as their main referencing point.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By TheMustacheHero

The Invasion of the default icons!

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ryanwho
    @Icemael said:
    @ryanwho: @Icemael said:
    ...I have seen plenty of screenshot, trailers and videos of the game being played (both official and unofficial) on the highest setting, which is more than sufficient when judging the graphics.
    Next someone will tell me I need to play a game to judge its soundtrack.

There's a difference between watching a low res stream and playing a game maxed out on a 20 inch screen, yes.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#67  Edited By Icemael
    @SirOptimusPrime said:

@Icemael: Really, you're taking second-hand viewing of this game as the prime reasoning? I'm not going to insult your intelligence or anything, but it is more than CLEAR that the lighting, textures, animations, and various dynamic graphical things (weather, motion blur, etc) are much much better in a first hand viewing of TW2. It's almost obvious that this is trolling.

The lighting and textures become better when you actually play it. Right.

@SirOptimusPrime said:
    It simply is a better looking game than the rest. State from an artistic point of view next time, because the game (on a maxed out PC) runs far better and looks far better than consoles CAN, and the engine that is available bulldozes just about every PC setup available (minus multi-GPUs and such), and just like with Crysis will become fully realized within two or three years and will continue to look better when ubersampling is reliable and the game will run with 30+ fps.
     Read the boldfaced part:

@Icemael said: 

Best-looking third-person game? Nah. Prince of Persia 2008, Okami, Alan Wake, Assassin's Creed II and others look better (even if their engines and so on aren't nearly as advanced).

@AlexW00d said: 

@Icemael: The animation is much much better in this trust me. AC animation is pretty stiff at the best of times.

I disagree.

@AlexW00d said: 
    And you can't really be comparing the architecture: Assassin's Creed 2 is based on real cities, it's not like they thought it up themselves, they just 'copied' it from real life. Whereas CDProjekt have actually taken the time to fully design their entire world, citing Slavic architecture as their main referencing point.
    Cool. Doesn't make them better-looking.

@ryanwho said: 

@Icemael said: 

@ryanwho@Icemael said: 

...I have seen plenty of screenshot, trailers and videos of the game being played (both official and unofficial) on the highest setting, which is more than sufficient when judging the graphics.
    Next someone will tell me I need to play a game to judge its soundtrack.
    There's a difference between watching a low res stream and playing a game maxed out on a 20 inch screen, yes.
    Low-res streams, high-res videos, a friend playing it... I've watched more than enough.
    MrBoBo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By MrBoBo
    @CaLe said:
    I don't think the clothes in this game are getting enough recognition. I mean, they look freaking incredible. So detailed and so unique between characters. I am constantly just staring at the clothes people are wearing in cut-scenes. So, so good.
    Even when I play Crysis is pretty easy to find extreamly  bad blotchy textures maxed out.
    It seems in the Witcher 2, almost every single texture has had a X factor attention to detail.
    katanalauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By katanalauncher
    @Icemael said:

@AlexW00d said:

@Icemael said:
    Best-looking third-person game? Nah. Prince of Persia 2008, Okami, Alan Wake, Assassin's Creed II and others look better (even if they engines and so on aren't nearly as advanced).
    I can't tell if you are trolling or just being pretentious but those games don't look nearly as good as the Witcher 2: which I assume you probably haven't played. The lighting is this game is as close to real life as I have ever seen; the only thing that is nearly as accurate is Metro 2033.
    You're telling me that  http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z96/nub_cakes101/RealAssassinsCreed2Screenshot.jpg
    looks better than  http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/1880/witcher2ultraubersampli.png
    Because I really don't believe you.
    I have not yet played The Witcher 2, but I have seen plenty of screenshot, trailers and videos of the game being played (both official and unofficial) on the highest setting, which is more than sufficient when judging the graphics. It looks great, but all of the games I mentioned look better. Assassin's Creed II mainly because of the architecture and the animation.
    ........... You don't deserve your eyes.
    huelarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By huelarl
    @Icemael: Troll, blind or stupid, that is the question.
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#71  Edited By EVO

I'm with you, @Icemael.

When will PC elitists learn that there can be no 'best looking' game. It's entirely subjective, hence why I said I liked Alan Wake, God of War 3 and Uncharted 2 better a few pages back. I'm sure The Witcher 2 takes a dump on those games, technically speaking, but I just don't dig the art direction at all. And all the high res textures and lighting can't change that.
    davidjohnkeen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By davidjohnkeen
    @Icemael: Man is it really necessary to stir up a crowd of people really passionate about this game just your own amusement? At least present your argument in a way that shows you're willing to consider other peoples opinions.

Please troll elsewhere.
    withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By withateethuh
    @CaLe said:
    I don't think the clothes in this game are getting enough recognition. I mean, they look freaking incredible. So detailed and so unique between characters. I am constantly just staring at the clothes people are wearing in cut-scenes. So, so good.
    ditto. Everything feels so...lively and colorful.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By valrog

We have a persistent troll in here, men. Seems to be a lot more delusional than the ordinary kind.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Icemael
    @katanalauncher said:
    ........... You don't deserve your eyes.
    Well, excuse me for having eyes that do more than count engine features.

@davidjohnkeen said:
    @Icemael: Man is it really necessary to stir up a crowd of people really passionate about this game just your own amusement? At least present your argument in a way that shows you're willing to consider other peoples opinions.
    All I said was that I don't think The Witcher 2 is the best-looking third-person game.

And I do consider other people's opinions when they don't try to justify them with stupid, irrelevant and/or rude arguments that don't justify shit. People who say "you haven't watched enough" when I have, or "you need to actually play it" when I don't, or "stop trolling" when they need to stop posting stupid shit -- those people can go fuck themselves.

@davidjohnkeen said:
    Please troll elsewhere.
    @huelarl said:
    @Icemael: Troll, blind or stupid, that is the question.
    @valrog said:
    We have a persistent troll in here, men. Seems to be a lot more delusional than the ordinary kind.
    Typical retarded PC enthusiast comments. "Are you suggesting that a game without ultrasampling, megatessellation and hyperparallax superocclusion extrememapping can look better than a game with all those? Troll! Blind! Stupid! Delusional!"

If I suggested that this looked better than this, your heads would probably explode. "B-but the advanced textures! And the complex lighting!"
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#76  Edited By haggis

It's a bit unfair to compare this to console games, but I will admit that it looks fantastic. It certainly makes me want to build a better gaming PC. As for it being a better RPG, I can't say as I haven't played it. It certainly looks to be decent. Whether you like it better or not probably depends on taste. Unfortunately, my current PC doesn't spec out enough to run this decently, otherwise I'd be playing it right now.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Animasta
    @Icemael: your point would be valid if the witcher didn't have a fantastic art style, rather than just looking good, but it does. I appreciate Okami for what it does, but to call it better looking than witcher 2 is silllllllly.

I mean, you could argue that Okami, Alan Wake has the superior art style and we could have that argument, but I think there's a difference between art style and graphic fidelity. Okami was muddied as shit on the PS2 as far as I remember (never beat it)
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#78  Edited By Vinny_Says

A lot of people with green names and few posts on here praising TW2....CONSPIRACY!!!!

Yeah it may be the best looking game, but calling it "the best RPG ever" is pretty subjective.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Icemael
    @Laketown: The Witcher 2 does have good art direction, and as I've said, I think it's a very good-looking game. I just don't think it's the best. Okami, despite its low graphical fidelity, was more pleasing to my eyes.
    fastidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By fastidious

It's been a while since I've played a game that looks so beautiful I have to just stop and admire the scenery. Not even playing at full graphics, I'm around medium but it looks amazing.

As far as everything else this game is fantastic (gameplay, story, voice acting, music, etc).

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Evilsbane

Its one of the best "games" period to come out in a long time, the graphics are fantastic, the combat is deep and has no qualms about kicking your ass if you just stand there and mash, the characters and world are fully realized and even though I am still in the first area of the the game It's GORGEOUS, its becoming one of my top 3 really fast.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Animasta
    @Icemael said:
    @Laketown: The Witcher 2 does have good art direction, and as I've said, I think it's a very good-looking game. I just don't think it's the best. Okami, despite its low graphical fidelity, was more pleasing to my eyes.
    see I think you're crazy but I respect your (crazy) opinion.

Okami also had the worst voice acting, however :P
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By valrog
    @Icemael: Because having features that improve graphics is bad, right? LET'S ALL STOP USING BUMP MAPS AND MAKE EVERYTHING FLAT!!
    DeepSpaceJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By DeepSpaceJesus

Meh, it has nice graphics, but it doesn't even compare to games like Okami or SoTC, in my opinion. 

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Animasta
    @DeepSpaceJesus said:
    Meh, it has nice graphics, but it doesn't even compare to games like Okami or SoTC, in my opinion. 
    SotC gets like 15-20 frames per second
    DeepSpaceJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By DeepSpaceJesus
    @Laketown: Yeah, but the game's still beautiful. Hopefully the SoTH/Ico HD release for the PS3 will solve that problem.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Animasta
    @DeepSpaceJesus said:
    @Laketown: Yeah, but the game's still beautiful. Hopefully the SoTH/Ico HD release for the PS3 will solve that problem.
    it's not really that beautiful, it's mostly just excessive bloom.
    DeepSpaceJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By DeepSpaceJesus
    @Laketown: Whatever it is, I think it looks great.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Icemael
    @valrog said:

@Icemael: Because having features that improve graphics is bad, right? LET'S ALL STOP USING BUMP MAPS AND MAKE EVERYTHING FLAT!!

Because "technological advancement is far from everything" means the same thing as "technological advancement is bad/irrelevant," right?
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#90  Edited By Tennmuerti

On a decent PC almost maxed out (no Ubersampling) the game looks incredible.
    In a forest during the night at a low angle I got chills up my spine at how atmospheric it was. Like something you yourself imagine when reading a book.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Contro
    @Icemael said:

@AlexW00d said:

@Icemael said:
    Best-looking third-person game? Nah. Prince of Persia 2008, Okami, Alan Wake, Assassin's Creed II and others look better (even if they engines and so on aren't nearly as advanced).
    I can't tell if you are trolling or just being pretentious but those games don't look nearly as good as the Witcher 2: which I assume you probably haven't played. The lighting is this game is as close to real life as I have ever seen; the only thing that is nearly as accurate is Metro 2033.
    You're telling me that  http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z96/nub_cakes101/RealAssassinsCreed2Screenshot.jpg
    looks better than  http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/1880/witcher2ultraubersampli.png
    Because I really don't believe you.
    I have not yet played The Witcher 2, but I have seen plenty of screenshot, trailers and videos of the game being played (both official and unofficial) on the highest setting, which is more than sufficient when judging the graphics. It looks great, but all of the games I mentioned look better. Assassin's Creed II mainly because of the architecture and the animation.

When you say "highest setting", do you mean maxed out?. No conventional PC can run this game at maximum settings proficiently - this game will look even better next year...

Assassins Creed 2/B, because of it's "architecture and animation""?. 

Firstly, the architecture you talk of wasn't designed by developers at Ubisoft, it was designed by the great architects of the Renaissance, the likes of Brunelleschi and Bramante. Precise 3D plans, which can easily be obtained in many forms today, were exported into their engine and textured according to research data. 

Secondly, the animation in this game shits on Assassins Creed 2's & Brotherhood, from a great height. All I remember from AC 2 & B, from an animation perspective, was jerky animations that lessened realism and facial expressions that seemed forced and unnatural. The Witcher 2 has some of the finest animation I've ever seen, it's so good it looks like a film at times, large scale battles look incredible.
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#92  Edited By armaan8014
    @OdinsThunder said:
    This game destroys dragon age. I cannot stand that game and it's crappy characters/lore.

The first witcher game destroys dragon age, and the TW2 takes a mighty dump on it from height.
    GIMME FIVE
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By valrog
    @Icemael: You're the one who claimed that a game with no such features would look better. Which is wrong. Now before you read what I have to say, look up what CG (Computer Graphics) actually stands for.

I shall now continue destroying your utterly fanboyish and ignorant opinion. Imagine we have two spheres. Simple spheres, robbed of any kind of art style.

Now, one sphere would have only a texture of 512x512 pixels, does not cast shadows, has no Anti-aliasing and it is rendered in 640x480 resolution.
    The other one, however, has a 2048x2048 texture applied to it, a bump map, casts shadows, has 16x Anti-aliasing and it is rendered in 19080x1200 with Ambient Occlusion.

Which one of those two have better graphics? Art style (or lack thereof) is the same in both.

I won't even go and say anything about Architecture, because people before me already said enough.

Now, if you can honestly tell me that Alan Wake, Assassin's Creed or Okami have better graphics than The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, I will lose the tiny remaining hope for humanity I had left.
    shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By shinigami420

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for myelbowsfelloff
    MyElbowsFellOff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By MyElbowsFellOff

I love the comment in the Quick Look about the Witcher 2 pounding the shit out of Fable III. Not the best RPG of all time, but certainly a refreshing change from much of the junk people are trying to sell us these days.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Jimbo

The shadows look fucking terrible for me.  Not sure if it's a bug.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Funkydupe

"Shut up, Triss!"

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Icemael
    @Contro said:

When you say "highest setting", do you mean maxed out?. No conventional PC can run this game at maximum settings proficiently - this game will look even better next year...

I mean this and others like it.
    @Contro said:

Firstly, the architecture you talk of wasn't designed by developers at Ubisoft, it was designed by the great architects of the Renaissance, the likes of Brunelleschi and Bramante. Precise 3D plans, which can easily be obtained in many forms today, were exported into their engine and textured according to research data.

Doesn't matter.

@Contro said:

Secondly, the animation in this game shits on Assassins Creed 2's & Brotherhood, from a great height. All I remember from AC 2 & B, from an animation perspective, was jerky animations that lessened realism and facial expressions that seemed forced and unnatural. The Witcher 2 has some of the finest animation I've ever seen, it's so good it looks like a film at times, large scale battles look incredible.

Assassin's Creed II's facial animation is poor, but I think the combat is way more well-animated than The Witcher 2's. Brotherhood's is even better.

@valrog said: 

@Icemael: You're the one who claimed that a game with no such features would look better.

I have never said that. Learn to read, for fuck's sake. What I said that a game with no such features can look better than a game with those features, just as a painting can look better than a high resolution photograph. That does not mean that a game with no such features must look better than a game with those features.
    @valrog said: 

Art style (or lack thereof) is the same in both.

The art in The Witcher 2 is not the same as the art in the games I mentioned, which makes your entire post fucking irrelevant. 
    PizzaSauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By PizzaSauce

Times like this I really wish I had a good PC rig. Just played some of this at a friends, and wow, it looks  AWESOME. I can only hope they do a console port, if that is even technically possible, because this game is sweet as fuck.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#100  Edited By Seppli

It's defnitely a stunner, but I'll keep the 'best looking' part reserved for a seamless open world game. I'm just inclined to differentiate between a limited stage with pretty backdrops and fully realized worlds open for free exploration. That said, no such game comes to mind right now.

The most recent fully realized open world RPG I've played was Gothic 3, which is quite old and hence can't hold a candle to Witcher 2's presentation. Risen 2 or Skyrim might pull it off. Looking forward to seeing them in action at E3. I'm suspecting Skyrim won't be seamless though. So that would disqualify it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.