Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Watch Dogs 2

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 15, 2016

The sequel to Watch Dogs moves to San Francisco with a new protagonist.

Hype Levels?

• 59 results
    Avatar image for joe_mccallister
    Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Joe_McCallister

After seeing the Ubisoft produced vid I found my internal hype rising a bit as it looks a bit more Mr. Robot and refined than the first, but then going on through conferences yesterday, I started to get the feeling that they're forcing the "hakkerzlulz" a little too hard - which would end up being my biggest turn off to this game.

The guys kind of hit on this during the Ubi presser when there were chunky middle fingers and projections all over buildings and on screens but it started to feel forced - and the game hasn't even released yet. I might personally be able to forgive some shitty attempts at hacker humor if the rest of the game is alright, and Marcus seems more interesting than Pearce.

I also feel like there's some immediate backlash out there because Ubi is the cool thing to hate now (not that they haven't deserved some sideways looks more often than not). If they're going to bring out a decent game with a solid value proposition they might be able to claw their way back to 0 in terms of enthusiast regard.

What's the opinion out there after a few videos and demos? Could this be the Assassin's Creed II of the Watch_Dogs inevitable franchise? Although I'm against preorders in this digital age - anyone on that fence?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I think the tone and all that looks real bad but the gameplay itself looks fun. I am someone who can have a lot of fun, especially with an open world game with lots of content, just turning down the audio some and listening to music or a podcast and making my way through the game. I am doing that with Just Cause 3 right now.

Ideally it's all great, but I just think the tone will be not for me from all they showed. I do really like the look of the game though. Making the environment so interactive plus even taking some Deus Ex inspirations as far as letting you tackle things multiple ways. It'll probably be something I get on sale down the line as I did with Just Cause 3.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike

It looks alright, but my hype level is zero right now. That way when there is the inevitable Ubisoft downgrade, I won't be disappointed or surprised (Honestly who is even surprised by Ubisoft downgrades anymore, though?). I think some parts of the game look interesting, but the overall style and writing are just cringey and dumb and not in a good way, either.

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

After the first one I had zero interest in a sequel, especially if Aiden was still the protagonist. But I really liked what I saw during the stream.
    I had no problems with the tone, but whatever that's a really subjective thing.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Liked what I saw, but zero interest I'm afraid.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By habster3

A big fat zero for me. Although Ubisoft makes decent ads (even if the tone was a bit... off), I don't trust them when it comes to worthwhile games anymore. It'll hopefully be a bit more refined this time around; however, the game will probably follow the bland Ubisoft format to a T.

forevernet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gameplay loos like a fantastic improvement over the first game. Tonally though; yikes.

gunflame88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gunflame88

Tone-wise, I think this is already a disaster. Some people are saying that Ubi is joking around, but I think they're being dead serious and believe this is cool. The protagonist is just too edgy with all the skulls, middle-fingers and memes. He has an Epic Fail sticker on his laptop for fuck's sake. I mean that dumb tired phrase rubbed me the wrong way in Persona 4 way back in 2009, and at this point even ironic use of it is really grating. IMO, this tone is a pretty terrible and patronizing way to appeal to younger audience.

As far as gameplay goes, it looked alright, but I did not find anything that grabbed me about it. The trailers and gameplay demos of the first game displayed a lot of this kind of environmental interactivity, but it turned out that a lot of it is rather superficial and pointless, because the game is really easy and could be played as a straight-up shooter.

Anyway, there are many much more interesting (to me) games already out and in development where you don't have to suffer such terrible writing, so this is a definite pass for now.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If nothing else, I'd much rather take this game's tone over the tone of the first game. I honestly don't have a huge problem with what I saw in the trailer. Whether the game will be fun is a different question.

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was more hyped before E3, thought the trailer during the press conference wasn't great. Still gonna hold out hope that they deliver but will always be cautious considering Watch Dogs 1.

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Zero. That looked boring, generic and too self serious. I don't know why but I really don't like the character design from Ubisoft in this kind of games. I find it soulless and generic and I think this game represents that very well. I wish they had a bit more style graphically.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ivdamke

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it looked fun, so I will probably end up getting it. But the tone though... that is a rough sell.

LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'm stuck at a 0. People are saying the first game will be like the first Assassin's Creed game setting the base for an eventually great game in AC 2. Only thing is I still really liked AC 1 at the time and it got me excited about the entire idea and world. I couldn't even finish Watch underscore Dogs I hated it so much from the hacking games to the exploration.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I hate everything about the tone and story stuff. It makes hacking seem so silly and takes away any interest I have,

Ydross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That game looks 2edgy4me.

This is what happen when a corporation tries to be cool, hip and have an attitude. Its too bad because everything else about that game seems fun. But the tone looks just too cringey and forced.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By glots

Gameplay looked alright to me, but pretty much everything else around it...eeeeh... @_U

I'll say, though, that I'm very happy about them stating that the driving will be improved. That's not enough reason for me to buy a whole game, but boy did I find it really terrible in the first game.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lackluster: Yea that's what I don't get about that statement. AC1 had a lot of merit, it did cool things and faltered in others but you could see the potential. Watch Dogs was irredeemable trash in every single facet. It was so poorly executed someone made a GTAIV mod a couple months later that implemented more involved and varied hacking abilities than Watch Dogs itself.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't be hyped for this game, wait for it to come out and see what it is. It was eejits getting all 'hyped' the first time around that drove crazy pre-orders for what turned out to be a rather large smelly shit in DVD case.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Watch_dogs 1 enough to see that something was there that they could make another game and make it good, watch_dogs 1 wasn't very good, I was interested in a second game. But when they showed the trailer for this one last week I immediately lost all interest. Everything about the tone and style and setting of the game rubs me the wrong way.

I dislike San Francisco/SV tech-culture. I dislike 4-chan. I dislike LOLMEMEHACKERS. Nothing they've shown about the game so far suggests that the game realizes that its being a big silly or tongue in cheek. Sunset Overdrive right from the start made it obvious it was very much aware what sort of game it was and how silly it was being.

Best thing about it so far is Don't Sweat The Technique being on the soundtrack but I already own Aggressive Inline.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Looks like a fun open world game.

It's not "too edgy" for me. I'm not too cool for it or anything. A kid wearing a mask that flashes ascii emoticons? Hey sure why not that's about right for what a hacker should look like in a videogame. I'm not here to role play a guy in a black hoodie and sandals writing code in his dorm room all day. It's not like any of this is even remotely close to reality anyway so taking any of the story seriously or scrutinizing character motivations is really silly.

I'm pretty hyped. The first game gave you a lot of fun options and the sequel looks to expand on that so I'm down.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's cool that the protagonist isn't a short brown haired white guy. Really depends on how well they iterate Spider Tank. My brother bought the last one randomly, if he does that again I'll play it again, if not then probably not.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Extremely low

That "daaaaaammnnnnn, right in yo face!!" vibe they got going is stupid, I'm not 14 anymore.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

We can already hear rumblings that even the new characters are unlikable dickheads who kill people for low stakes. I think the main problem is they make guns a solution for the main characters you play. The player should only have HACKING and parkour at their disposal to fight the NPCs. That way the character the PLAYER is play isn't blowing people's heads off; some stealing of cars, nabbing a few bucks out of a bank account, or stealing incriminating selfies off a phone is within the bounds of 'being a trickster', but shooting someone in the back of teh head over a hard-drive is being a murderer.

This game was given two chances, yet from the early looks of it, chances two will be even worse than teh firsts one. Ubisoft has a real issue about what makes characters likable and fun, they just don't seem to get what to do. Some called 'an assassin' is likely gonna murder a dude, but does a hacker after data HAVE to do that? Also does a hacker dressed like an lame-counsin version of Daft Punk?

Maybe, in France doe all hackers wear a mask like Deadmau5 and they all go to Hot Topic to buy cloths....but somehow I doubt it. So what that means is Ubiosoft has NO CLUE 'who' or 'what 'hackers are or do, but worse their idea of what a hacker should act or do in a game in akin to Mugatu from Zoolander.

LastBestHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Really hoping Ubi pulls an Assassin's Creed II again

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not necessarily hyped myself, but I totally agree with:

@humanity said:

It's not "too edgy" for me. I'm not too cool for it or anything. A kid wearing a mask that flashes ascii emoticons? Hey sure why not that's about right for what a hacker should look like in a videogame. I'm not here to role play a guy in a black hoodie and sandals writing code in his dorm room all day. It's not like any of this is even remotely close to reality anyway so taking any of the story seriously or scrutinizing character motivations is really silly.

I'm pretty hyped. The first game gave you a lot of fun options and the sequel looks to expand on that so I'm down.

Seems like some dumb fun, and I'm always down for dumb fun.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@capum15 said:

Not necessarily hyped myself, but I totally agree with:

@humanity said:

Seems like some dumb fun, and I'm always down for dumb fun.

I mean it's an open world sandbox game. You WANT to have fun right? I completely don't understand this entire sentiment about a non-realistic portrayal of hackers or whatnot. My older brother was into "hacking" for a while and as an impressionable younger sibling I dutifully tagged along with him to several 2600 meetings back in the day. For those not in the know 2600 used to be a popular hacking magazine that organized meetups in the city where people exchanged the hottest tips on how to phone phreak or bypass your college security systems for inconsequential reasons. Trust me, you don't want a game realistically portraying hackers. In fact there are already games that do hacking "simulation" really well like Hacknet or Uplink, and they completely cut out the "culture" part of it. Watch_Dogs isn't meant to be about a realistic portrayal of hacking anymore than Call of Duty is a realistic depiction of war. It's meant to be bombastic, over the top, and game-a-fied because thats more fun to play.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the first watchdogs and this looks to be even better so that's great just hope the music playlist isn't full of hipster shit this time around.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

@joe_mccallister: Watch Dogs remains the only box-format game I've returned on the same day of purchase after having a super-negative reaction to it. Even Assassin's Creed 3 kept me on the hook for half a dozen hours before I realized it was wasting my time. Watch Dogs had the most jarring narrative dissonance and bland game play. Watch Dogs 2 will have to review very highly for me to even pay attention to it.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's like they have a bunch of teenage assholes working on this game. Someone on another thread on this site said that in the reveal stream, the director (or one of the other devs on the stream) said the word memes during it. So yeah, French Canadians cannot be trusted. That dude with the mask that makes emotes in the game is so god damn stupid and cringey. The director said that people think he was a cool character during an interview and I thought to myself "No way does anyone think he's fucking cool." Gameplay looks like it could be great but I don't think I'd be able to handle the tone, writing, and characters in that game enough to want to play it.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I liked watch dogs a lot more than most people, but the bar has been raised since 2014. I was willing to forgive the hilariously terrible storyline because I loved the goofy multiplayer shit and there wasn't much else to play on PS4. Now there's a ton of other open world and multiplayer games to choose from and I can't work up much interest in the sequel.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Zilch.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Negative hype; the tone is awful

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1------------about here------------10

Didn't ever play the first watch dogs, and with the open world fatigue pounding on the front door of my brain I don't expect to pick it up day one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e83e1ada625d
    deactivated-5e83e1ada625d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

people who take video games seriously, lol

DevourerOfTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

No Caption Provided

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

I guess my issue is it's hard to sympathise with the characters because of the ludonarrative dissonance.

"Oh this corporation is straight up evil, they made this social network to COLLECT YOUR DATA".

Okay, little small-minded and ripped from the headlines, but I'll go with you. What's your response?

"MURDER THESE FOOLS SO WE CAN DISPLAY OUR EDGY TAG ON THEIR BUILDING".

You've lost me.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lukewarm but I'm actually more interested in this than I was during the hype-building of Watch Dogs 1 (which didn't believe at all). So that's a step up for them.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Monkeyman04

I think I should be hyped that they're using my last name on the main character, but I bet he's going be a d-bag like in the first game's MC. So, I'm not hyped at all.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watch Dogs sold really well the reveal trailer for WD2 has ~10 million views and is near the top of the Amazon pre-order charts atm their seems to be alot of people interested in the game. The install base is three times higher and Ubisoft wouldn't be trying to make a movie if they didn't have confidence in WD2. Nobody was hyped for Far Cry Primal but the game sold really well.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope it's good but I refuse to get excited for Ubisoft games anymore after the shit they pulled with the first Watch Dogs and to a smaller degree The Division.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, hype level = 0

I think i just don't care for those type of games anymore, i never even got gta V. I have the original watch dogs on ps4 and only got through the first intro mission and never bothered with it again. Would rather get a new saints row.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gameplay wise it seems like stuff that should have been there to begin with. Those characters though... trying way too hard to appeal to... I'm not really sure who? People who watched Mr.Robot? It feels like a game with no clear audience and it just comes across as cringe.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I think the whole thing is a complete misunderstanding of what makes things like Fight Club and Mr Robot so appealing. They're still chasing this weird idea that hackers are cool. I mean look at the promotional material they're putting out:

No Caption Provided

Eurgh. You can almost see the group of suits sitting in an office, brainstorming this garbage. I appreciate that they're working with potentially some interesting ideas, but the presentation seems to be so lacking in awareness and irony it just makes me cringe. All I can think of now is;

No Caption Provided

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed playing the first game. Didn't care for the story or characters. It looks like this will be similar. I'll play it but I can't say I'm excited for it. Probably wouldn't even crack my top 20 games at e3

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

The first game was incredibly boring. The gameplay was still pretty decent. As much as they downgraded the graphics the hacking still felt like you had a lot of power.

There just wasn't anything to do. And it's Ubisoft brand open world design, meaning there's collectibles everywhere and a whole lot of "go here do that" type stuff. But nothing really to do.

That's just Ubisoft design as a whole. So that's absolutely not changing for the sequel. And also I hate Ubisoft. so I'm not interested in the game in the least.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BoOzak

It seems ubisoft have the problem of either being real bland or super wacky, this being the latter is more interesting than the first game but it's still a bit off putting. Gameplay wise it looks the same to me so I was never really that interested. That being said i'll still probably play it at some point.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@sweep said:

Eurgh. You can almost see the group of suits sitting in an office, brainstorming this garbage. I appreciate that they're working with potentially some interesting ideas, but the presentation seems to be so lacking in awareness and irony it just makes me cringe. All I can think of now is;

No Caption Provided

What is that image from? I've seen that a lot lately, and I recognize the actor in the picture, but I don't think I've ever seen the movie or TV show that's from. Anyone care to explain?

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

These days, when you start with "Open World" you're digging yourself a hole you have to climb up from, not catching my interest. Especially when you're Ubisoft or WB games.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like they're moving more and more towards GTA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think it might start out interesting, then become a chore to play just like Watch Dogs 1.

I seriously question Ubisoft's ability to make likable protagonists and support characters.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.