Way of the Warrior is a 2D fighting game developed by Naughty Dog and published by Universal Interactive for the 3DO on November 1, 1994 (with a later Japan release on May 26, 1995).
Heavily inspired by the Mortal Kombat series, Way of the Warrior includes digitized actors for its playable characters, gratuitous violence (including fatalities), and a licensed soundtrack from alternative-metal band White Zombie (with songs from their 1992 album La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Volume One).
Set in a citadel high in the Himalayan mountains, the game's story involves a centennial tournament with the winner inscribed in the mystical "Book of Warriors": a magical tome that provides the balance for good and evil in the world. With only one page in the tome remaining, nine modern-day warriors from all over the world fight to tip the scales of good and evil for all eternity.
An arcade release was in development with American Laser Games, but was cancelled prior to release.
- Nobunaga - Origin: Japan, Style: Kendo
- Major Gaines - Origin: U.K., Style: SAS Military. Has an alternate version, named Major Trouble, as a hidden opponent unlockable for play with cheat codes.
- Fox - Origin: France, Style: Muy Tai. Has an alternate version, named Voodoo, as a hidden opponent unlockable for play with cheat codes.
- Shaky Jake - Origin: Australia, Style: Outback
- The Ninja - Origin: Japan, Style: Ninjitsu
- Nikki Chan - Origin: China, Style: Kung Fu
- Crimson Glory - Origin: USA, Style: Bar Brawling
- The Dragon - Origin: Hong Kong, Style: Kung Fu. Has an alternate version, named Black Dragon, as a hidden opponent unlockable for play with cheat codes.
- Konotori - Origin: Japan, Style: Original
- Kull the Despoiler (mid-boss, unlockable with a cheat code) - Uses a 3D model instead of a digitized actor.
- High Abbot (final boss, unlockable with a cheat code) - Uses a 3D model instead of a digitized actor.
- Gulab Jamum (hidden opponent, unlockable with a cheat code) - Origin: India, Style: Possession
Log in to comment