Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

8-4, Ltd.

Company »

A game localization and publishing company based in Shibuya that will be forever remembered for its peerless work on Fire Emblem: Awakening, Imagine: Make-up Artist and Petz Hamsterz Bunch. Named after the final level in Super Mario Bros (8-4).

Giant Bomb x 8-4

heavyplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#251  Edited By heavyplay

@Askherserenity said:

@heavyplay: More Japanese coverage obviously...Are you seriously asking this?

I'm probably just mis-understanding the article. What I'm reading is that there will just be another tab in the podcast section where we can listen to the podcast. If there's going to be new content as well, then fine, I get it, great news. It's just not clear in the article.

Edit: Reading kennyshat's post below me, looks like I was right the first time. If GB were starting to grab a whole bunch of podcasts and build a network of them here on the site, then I would understand. But it looks like they're just grabbing this one podcast. Good luck to them, it just seems kind of pointless to me.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#252  Edited By Slay3r1583

I had never heard of these guys before this article. I'm interested in JRPGs and Japanese games in general so I'll definitely give their podcast a shot.

Mumrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253  Edited By Mumrik

Only one real question to ask - why are they leaving 1Up/IGN?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#254  Edited By StarvingGamer

Pretty soon every podcast I listen to is going to be hosted by this site... wtf

Mumrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255  Edited By Mumrik

@Duffyside said:

The only potential problem I see with this is Giant Bomb's coverage of games 8-4 has worked on...

They cover Double Fine games too...

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#256  Edited By kennybaese

@patrickklepek said:

@kennyshat said:

So, are these guys going to be contributing the site as well, or is this Giant Bomb adding a page for their podcast?

Just a page for the podcast.

Is there going to be any cross over as far as Giant Bomb staff on their podcast, and vice versa or anything like that? Or is this purely a way to give another gaming podcast that you guys like a little more publicity than they would have otherwise?

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not upset by this or anything. Just curious. Other than you guys giving people another link to their podcast feed, this seems kind of like a non-announcement.

thesolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#257  Edited By thesolution

This is exciting!

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258  Edited By AngelN7

Cool I might start listening that podcast maybe those guys will end up localizing something cool like I don't know Valkyria Chronicles 3...please!

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#259  Edited By Oldirtybearon

So long as the tool who keeps throwing western games under the bus gets punched in the throat, I'm cool with this move.

I like the 8-4 Play podcast, except for that guy. It's like he can't help but bring up western games every chance he gets to throw them under the bus to try and make Japanese games look good. I don't mind the guy having a preference, but the manner in which he brings it up nearly every single show makes it sound like he's insecure about his preferences.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Giant Bomb and 8-4: Two great tastes that taste great together!

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

Cool I guess for the Japanese Videogame fan.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262  Edited By HerbieBug

I approve of this.  

*makes a note on a piece of paper and sends it away via pneumatic tube*

You may proceed. 

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#263  Edited By MikeFightNight

awesome news! I only really listened to the 8-4 when Cheapy D was a guest, but from what I heard I liked it.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264  Edited By MiniPato

@heavyplay said:

@SuperSambo said:

@heavyplay said:

@Dany said:

Why is this happening?

Yeah, that's what I wan't to know. Not getting into whether it's a good or bad thing, but what's the point of all of this?

Think for more than a few seconds and it should be clear as to why a business wants to expand.

8-4 Play podcast get more exposure and Giant Bomb gets more load on their servers with no real benefit? From what I can gather from Patrick's post there won't really be any meaningful crossover, Giant Bomb will just be hosting their podcast. Whatever, I don't really care. I'm just a little confused as to why it's happening and how anything will change because of this.

Who says GB won't benefit from it? The bombcast doesn't hold a monopoly on all listeners of podcasts. GB gets more hits from people who want to check out the 8-4 podcast as well. And 8-4 provides a different perspective on games and talks about games that GB would never talk about. They wanted a new place to host their podcast (supposedly cause 1up fired a bunch of people) and Giant Bomb seemed like a good fit. Also cause they're good, longtime friends. Friends don't demand money or ask "What's in it for me?" when it comes to doing a favor. Giant Bomb is a business, but not that big of a business that everything they do has to be motivated by cold calculus and money crunching.

LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#265  Edited By LiquidS

ok then.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#266  Edited By Bollard

@Coafi said:

We are turning japanese.

I think I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so.

hardindr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267  Edited By hardindr

Is Garnett Lee still hosting this podcast? I haven't listened for a while.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#268  Edited By falling_fast

people have been wanting this sort of thing for ages, so they should be pleased, I guess.

can't say giantbomb don't listen to their fans, anyway.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269  Edited By jking47

Kinda scary news at first, but I am happy. 8-4 could be a great partnership.

kollay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#270  Edited By kollay

GB 8-4 has a nice ring to it.

Alright, I'm okay with this.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Chavtheworld said:

@Coafi said:

We are turning japanese.

I am already Japanese but not Japanese at the same time
    heavyplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272  Edited By heavyplay

@MiniPato said:

@heavyplay said:

@SuperSambo said:

@heavyplay said:

@Dany said:

Why is this happening?

Yeah, that's what I wan't to know. Not getting into whether it's a good or bad thing, but what's the point of all of this?

Think for more than a few seconds and it should be clear as to why a business wants to expand.

8-4 Play podcast get more exposure and Giant Bomb gets more load on their servers with no real benefit? From what I can gather from Patrick's post there won't really be any meaningful crossover, Giant Bomb will just be hosting their podcast. Whatever, I don't really care. I'm just a little confused as to why it's happening and how anything will change because of this.

Who says GB won't benefit from it? The bombcast doesn't hold a monopoly on all listeners of podcasts. GB gets more hits from people who want to check out the 8-4 podcast as well. And 8-4 provides a different perspective on games and talks about games that GB would never talk about. They wanted a new place to host their podcast (supposedly cause 1up fired a bunch of people) and Giant Bomb seemed like a good fit. Also cause they're good, longtime friends. Friends don't demand money or ask "What's in it for me?" when it comes to doing a favor. Giant Bomb is a business, but not that big of a business that everything they do has to be motivated by cold calculus and money crunching.

Fair enough. I had no knowledge of the 1up stuff. If this just comes down to bros helping bros, then fine, I understand now. You' gotta admit, it's a little strange. A completely separate team, having no interaction with the main GB team, having their own little corner on the site. I feel I'm justified in being a little curious.

When I asked the question one person replied "business", which didn't make sense in my mind, and one person said "more japanese coverage", which I felt was incorrect. Like I said in my other post, if they were collecting smaller podcasts with the view of becoming a video game Nerdist, or something, that I could understand and get behind.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273  Edited By NegativeCero

@hardindr said:

Is Garnett Lee still hosting this podcast? I haven't listened for a while.

No, he does one called Weekend Confirmed over on Shacknews.

Great news, for both sides. And I haven't seen that video before, but Hiroko being quiet is accurate to how she is on the podcast.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#274  Edited By nohthink

My question is; WHEN DID BRAD FLY TO JAPAN??!!!

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275  Edited By huser

@heavyplay said:

@MiniPato said:

@heavyplay said:

@SuperSambo said:

@heavyplay said:

@Dany said:

Why is this happening?

Fair enough. I had no knowledge of the 1up stuff. If this just comes down to bros helping bros, then fine, I understand now. You' gotta admit, it's a little strange. A completely separate team, having no interaction with the main GB team, having their own little corner on the site. I feel I'm justified in being a little curious.

When I asked the question one person replied "business", which didn't make sense in my mind, and one person said "more japanese coverage", which I felt was incorrect. Like I said in my other post, if they were collecting smaller podcasts with the view of becoming a video game Nerdist, or something, that I could understand and get behind.

Actually, given the number of folks that are even semi periodical (the Drews, Alexes, and Daves) and the regulars, the Bombcast eventually rotating through a few people doesn't seem all that terrible. They're already pushing into too many voices at once territory anyways.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#276  Edited By LordAndrew

@nohthink said:

ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

can't wait!

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#278  Edited By MisterMouse

I will definitely give the podcast a listen for a few weeks and see what I think of it. After having lived in Japan for a good portion of my life, I very much enjoyed the Japanese Video Game lifestyle, and was a Monster Hunter Fanatic for a good period of time there, so I would love to listen to more of what is happening in Japan.

Spellbot5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279  Edited By Spellbot5000

Yeah, if you guys at GB could actually reduce the amount of time spent talking about Japanese games, that'd be super, kay.

jollymore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280  Edited By jollymore

this is awesome, i love the 8-4 podcast. Keep up the great work

heavyplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281  Edited By heavyplay

@LordAndrew said:

@nohthink said:

Yep, late 2008. The whole crew were over there for a few days. You should listen to those Japan podcasts if you haven't already, they're still really good.

They start here http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast/?podcast_id=42 and they go to podcast_id=46.

Duffyside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#282  Edited By Duffyside

@Mumrik said:

@Duffyside said:

The only potential problem I see with this is Giant Bomb's coverage of games 8-4 has worked on...

Wow! Well I guess all I can say then is big congrats to Double Fine for getting their podcast hosted on the site!

... Oh, wait. ... What?

Duffyside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#283  Edited By Duffyside

@Sergio said:

It's called professionalism.

No, the professional thing to do would have been "hey guys, we like your podcast and all, and wish you nothing but the best, but it just wouldn't make sense for us to host it on our site."

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284  Edited By patrickklepek

@kennyshat said:

@patrickklepek said:

@kennyshat said:

So, are these guys going to be contributing the site as well, or is this Giant Bomb adding a page for their podcast?

Just a page for the podcast.

Is there going to be any cross over as far as Giant Bomb staff on their podcast, and vice versa or anything like that? Or is this purely a way to give another gaming podcast that you guys like a little more publicity than they would have otherwise?

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not upset by this or anything. Just curious. Other than you guys giving people another link to their podcast feed, this seems kind of like a non-announcement.

There could be, just no specific plans. 8-4 needed a new home, and we're giving them one!

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#285  Edited By clumsyninja1

Love it!!!

retrovirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#286  Edited By retrovirus

That's a really cool thing you guys are doing. I was a fan of 8-4 play before, and I'm glad it's found a good home. A wacky, but good home.

Mumrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287  Edited By Mumrik

@Duffyside said:

@Mumrik said:

@Duffyside said:

Wow! Well I guess all I can say then is big congrats to Double Fine for getting their podcast hosted on the site!

... Oh, wait. ... What?

Come on. They're 10x as friendly with Double Fine. That's the point. Anyway 8-4 has absolutely no power that could make any kind of relationship worrying in that regard. Patrick is just announcing that their podcast will live here now instead of 1Up (love to know why). There is nothing here to get upset about.

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288  Edited By Carlos1408

Sounds awesome. I'm no expert on Japanese games, but there are a few that I love. I'll definitely be checking out their podcast. :D

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#289  Edited By JasonR86

Sounds pretty cool. It's nice to see GB branching out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kind of random, but alright?

stupei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#291  Edited By stupei

@geekbot said:

The localization of games is subject that I feel is very touchy. I mean, I love that games from Japan get translated and brought over to North America, and I think it's great that there are people who's sole role is to insure that it's done well. I just don't like it when they start "Americanizing" things too much. Not all games need to feel North American. I want my Japanese games to feel Japanese. I want the quirky references. In the end, I just want them to keep the product as close to the designer's original vision as possible.

8-4 are responsible for the localization of games like Nier. Is that Japanese enough for you? Not exactly straying from the creator's vision to appeal to the mainstream with that one.

And a great addition to the site. I enjoy their podcast a lot and if this means more people will be exposed to it, that's definitely good news. It's great to have an outlet where people talk about the latest handheld games.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292  Edited By jewunit

The 8-4 Play crew are awesome and it is great to see Mark and Patrick "reunite" in a sense. They were two of the most interesting members of the old 1UP staff and it is cool seeing them under the same roof.

I highly recommend that folks download some of the 8-4 Play podcast episodes. Their team offers a unique perspective on gaming and they get a ton of great guests that are inaccessible to most other companies. I gush because, even if I don't agree with all of their opinions, it is important to get this kind of access to the Japanese gaming industry and 8-4 provides that access with a superb knowledge base of the industry at-large.

milkman4591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#293  Edited By milkman4591

lol anyone else see the "all your translations are belong to us" on the chalk board? awesome

outerabiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294  Edited By outerabiz

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Coafi said:

We are turning japanese.

I am already Japanese but not Japanese at the same time

That song is really about shaking hands with the flagpole, or spanking the monkey.

xbob42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295  Edited By xbob42

Cool, I suppose. Not a big fan of Japanese things recently, but some more insight couldn't hurt.

Floope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296  Edited By Floope

You people will hate ANYTHING.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297  Edited By Nekroskop

This is great news, since GB usually don't cover that many JRPGs.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298  Edited By probablytuna

Cool, more podcasts to listen to while looking forward to the next Bombcast.

fractallaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299  Edited By fractallaw

I had hoped that 8-4 play was coming here after they mentioned that they were no longer being hosted at 1Up on their last podcast.

It's easily one of the top 5 podcasts out there and offers a great perspective on Japanese games.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300  Edited By monetarydread

Awesome. I love the 8-4 podcast

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.