Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Dec 10, 2009

Decide the fate of the 9 kidnapped people who are trapped on a ship and forced to play the Nonary Game, where players put their life on the line.

Has anyone played this?

LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By LackLuster

I just saw it pop up on amazon. It looks like kind of cool, mostly about the story with a bit of puzzle solving from what I understand. Has anyone played it? I wouldn't mind hearing some thoughts about it aside from Amazon reviews.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

It's written by Ever17 people; apparently, this means something.

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Shun_Akiyama

If your looking for something like Prof layton but with waaaaaay more story and less puzzle it's great.
    The story is actually pretty fantastic.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By MooseyMcMan

My friend was ranting and raving about it, so he let me play his copy, and I was enjoying it until...All I will say is that the game is extremely unclear about how your actions effect the ending you get. I game over-ed for no reason, and I would have had to restart the game to try to get a better ending. It really angered me, and I refused to play it again.

So just expect that if you play it, you might think you're doing everything right, but make some mistake that gives you a bad ending that is (I assume) a ways off from the actual end of the game.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By nintendoeats

It's a cult classic (I guess), and it has a really neat narrative. The problem is that it appears to have been written by a second year Creative Writing major. I had to stop playing it after 20 minutes because the writing was SO BAD.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By SlightConfuse

one of the best games i have played on the DS , play it . it has multiple endings and i found the story to very top notch

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

You have to make it past a few annoying hurdles to get the best ending, but HOLY SHIT, MAN. It is a thing that needs to be experienced.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Dallas_Raines

It's a fairly enthralling visual novel, just don't expect much gameplay. It's basically 85% cutscenes with some minor choices and 15% puzzles. I really hope the sequel fleshes out the gameplay and adds chapter skip for the fucking forced replay shit.(Fast forward isn't good enough, I need to jump through everything, including the puzzles I've beaten multiple times already.)

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SlightConfuse

@MooseyMcMan: the game has suble hint about which path is correct, once you beat it you fin the reason .

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FancySoapsMan

It's worth playing for the story alone. 

It might not look like it but it's actually a really scary game at times.

Kyotsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kyotsu

The game is absolutely fantastic, don't pass it up.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@SlightConfuse said:

@MooseyMcMan: the game has suble hint about which path is correct, once you beat it you fin the reason .

It'd be nice if they didn't include bad endings in the first place. I saw nothing in the game that indicated that I was going to get that bad ending, and it killed all interest I had in playing a game I was only somewhat enjoying to begin with.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By donchipotle

Ever17 is better, but this isn't bad.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@MooseyMcMan:

You have to get a certain bad ending before you're allowed to get the best one.(In fact attempting the 'correct' path will end in a cliffhanger, if you didn't get that certain bad ending already)

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Solh0und

I was just informed of this game from a friend. I'm glad to hear that this game is good since I can't seem to locate a copy anywhere near my house,

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@Dallas_Raines said:

@MooseyMcMan:

You have to get a certain bad ending before you're allowed to get the best one.(In fact attempting the 'correct' path will end in a cliffhanger, if you didn't get that certain bad ending already)

THAT'S BAD GAME DESIGN! It made me hate a game that I thought was all right. Why would they do that?

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

@MooseyMcMan said:

My friend was ranting and raving about it, so he let me play his copy, and I was enjoying it until...All I will say is that the game is extremely unclear about how your actions effect the ending you get. I game over-ed for no reason, and I would have had to restart the game to try to get a better ending. It really angered me, and I refused to play it again.

So just expect that if you play it, you might think you're doing everything right, but make some mistake that gives you a bad ending that is (I assume) a ways off from the actual end of the game.

I guess it's a perception thing. I never really saw it as a game over situation. "It really is more of a Choose Your Own Adventure novel with a few puzzles thrown in than an actual game. You're not expected to get the best ending the first time (in fact, it's impossible.) Some might call that bad design, and it's hard to argue with that, but... it's hard not to spoil anything, but I'll just say that the best ending makes the entire gamebetter.

I went in blind and got the ending I got (didn't work out well for my guy), then used a spoiler-free guide to get to the best ending. I recommend it to anyone who doesn't feel like stumbling through it.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@MooseyMcMan:

To artificially extend the length.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@SpunkyHePanda said:

I guess it's a perception thing. I never really saw it as a game over situation. "It really is more of a Choose Your Own Adventure novel with a few puzzles thrown in than an actual game. You're not expected to get the best ending the first time (in fact, it's impossible.) Some might call that bad design, and it's hard to argue with that, but... it's hard not to spoil anything, but I'll just say that the best ending makes the entire gamebetter.

I went in blind and got the ending I got (didn't work out well for my guy), then used a spoiler-free guide to get to the best ending. I recommend it to anyone who doesn't feel like stumbling through it.

I went and read what the ending is online, and that only reinforced my decision to stop playing. It seemed really dumb to me.

@Dallas_Raines said:

To artificially extend the length.

I know.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @MooseyMcMan said:

@Dallas_Raines said:

@MooseyMcMan:

THAT'S BAD GAME DESIGN! It made me hate a game that I thought was all right. Why would they do that?

Personally, I was genuinely surprised when I got a bad ending on my first playthrough and I liked that the story slowly revealed itself with each new ending I got. 

I can see why not everyone would like that but I wouldn't call it bad game design.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@FancySoapsMan: I think designing a game to intentionally block you from beating it the first time and forcing you to replay it is bad design. Having bad endings is one thing, but forcing you to go through it is dumb.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

@MooseyMcMan said:

@SpunkyHePanda said:

I went and read what the ending is online, and that only reinforced my decision to stop playing. It seemed really dumb to me.

That's too bad. I was afraid someone would do that. A summary on Wikipedia is not gonna do it justice. It's like trying to sum up Lost or Inception. They're all gonna sound super dumb.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@SpunkyHePanda said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@SpunkyHePanda said:

That's too bad. I was afraid someone would do that. A summary on Wikipedia is not gonna do it justice. It's like trying to sum up Lost or Inception. They're all gonna sound super dumb.

To be fair, I also thought a lot of Inception was...Okay, I won't say dumb, because I still liked it overall, but some of it was kinda...Okay, dumb. Definitely my least favorite of the Nolan films (which is to say it's merely a very good film to me).

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

@MooseyMcMan said:

@SpunkyHePanda said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@SpunkyHePanda said:

To be fair, I also thought a lot of Inception was...Okay, I won't say dumb, because I still liked it overall, but some of it was kinda...Okay, dumb. Definitely my least favorite of the Nolan films (which is to say it's merely a very good film to me).

I mean... Memento.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@SpunkyHePanda: Oh. I liked Memento.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Animasta

@MooseyMcMan said:

@FancySoapsMan: I think designing a game to intentionally block you from beating it the first time and forcing you to replay it is bad design. Having bad endings is one thing, but forcing you to go through it is dumb.

it skips all text that you've already seen on subsequent playthroughs though, so it's not nearly as long.

on topic: it was pretty good, the story was pretty cool, but the translation seemed really... offputting. maybe the multiple memes or somethin.

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Clinkz

I really liked it. The problem with these games though is they severely underestimate the intelligence of the reader and feel the need to explain everything in 20 min that could have been left up to subtlety for the reader to grasp. Once that 20 min is done, the characters have to talk about it too, so you just get really beat down.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By Dagbiker

I played until the first puzzle, then i stopped, because i couldent solve the puzzle. I just havent looked up a faq for it.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NegativeCero

No, but I really want to. I've heard good things.

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By Cathryn

It's one of my favourite DS adventure games, for sure. I found the story to be very interesting, the puzzles were cool, and it was creepy and atmospheric. I will say that it has two major issues: the narrative prose is pretty flowery and it is a visual novel that requires multiple play-throughs to get the true ending so there are puzzles you will have to repeat at times (but you can fast forward through dialogue and narration you've already seen before). All in all, though, the experience is pretty fantastic. I guess it was fairly successful as well, because Aksys is releasing its sequel here as well.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#31  Edited By AndrewB

@Video_Game_King said:

It's written by Ever17 people; apparently, this means something.

I already offered to pass my copy around since it's hard for me to prove that when the thing is no longer in print (which was almost a problem for 999, which only just recently got a second printing).

Yeah, I'm playing 999 right now. Not really far enough in to say too much, but it's basically adventure game puzzles with long bits of dialog and character interaction. Its attachment to Ever17 is pretty much the only reason I'm tolerating the puzzle bits. I typically stay away from adventure games.

zygoatsalami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By zygoatsalami

@Shun_Akiyama said:

If your looking for something like Prof layton but with waaaaaay more story and less puzzle it's great. The story is actually pretty fantastic.

#PhrasesToGetMeToBuyAGame

This.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By toowalrus

I just bought a copy off Amazon, it's cool how they've just gone and printed another run with new box art. New copies of the original run are going for like $50 on eBay, and they'd probably be going for more if they didn't print more.

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Keeng

I came to this game's forum because I was hoping hearing the GB squad's sudden interest in the series would make some people more aware of its existence. I recently completed 999 (I own every major game released since August and dropped them all after two hours of 999) and I'm about halfway through Virtue's Last Reward.

It was forced down my throat by a friend so I finally got a hold of a DS and the game. It absolutely blew my mind. It ranks very high with the best stories I've ever experienced. After much internal debate on how to do this, I described it to a friend as "creating a 5th wall and then breaking it." Hopefully anyone who has seen all the endings understands that comment.

Regarding the design choice to force you into seeing the bad endings and things like that: I HATE games with multiple endings. I think it's a cop out and a waste of time. Once I'd reached two endings in 999, I almost put it down because I thought that was such a dumb idea. Having seen them all, I will say this: just keep playing. If you want to know why (minor spoiler that will likely make you want to play the game) ...

The "true" ending explains and justifies both why you had to go through all the other endings AND why this is a DS game. Trust me. It matters.

Also, I apparently don't know how to use the spoiler block.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Kerned

I put it on my Christmas list. I'm too on the fence about it to buy it, but I would love to check it out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.