Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Dec 10, 2009

Decide the fate of the 9 kidnapped people who are trapped on a ship and forced to play the Nonary Game, where players put their life on the line.

This game is.. amazing! (spoilers, maybe)

Devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Edited By Devoid

Let me start with: whoever it was that told me this was on sale that day on Amazon, I thank you wholeheartedly. I only bought it on a whim, not knowing anything about it except that a bunch of Internet people said it was good. It blew my non-existant expectations out of the water. Along with TWEWY and another game I can't really decide on yet, this is in my opinion one of the top 3 DS games.

Everything about this game is so great, especially the "Oh, wait, WHAT? What the heck?" kinda moments, and the puzzles were the right balance between "satisfying to solve, but simple/short enough that in additional playthroughs it wasn't a pain in the ass to do them again", and the music did a great job of highlighting the mood of each situation (especially a certain track named "Quietus".) The story was also good enough to keep me playing into stupid hours of the morning (now that usually happens with games, but this game kept me up even longer.)

Also, THOSE ENDINGS. It's been a long time since I've been that motivated to see all of a game's endings. The way this game handles the "multiple endings" mechanic was crazy. I don't think I've seen anything like that anywhere else.

If you wanted to know what order I got the endings in:

Axe -> Submarine -> Knife -> Coffin -> Safe -> True

And I wouldn't have had it any other way. It's pretty funny that the only reason I got the Axe one the first time was because I didn't say [Ice-9] to Seven, though. I was on the right track..

Usually with the final parts of games, I can get behind the "hell yeah, let's do this!" attitude that protagonists give off, but I don't think I've ever been so emotionally involved with what the character was actually doing for some of the parts, especially like I was with that last puzzle.

Also, Sudoku.. really? The upside-downness was a nice touch though.

After finishing this game, I lay where I had been playing it for what must have been hours trying to piece everything together, mostly the stuff the game doesn't come right out and tell you to your face. Which is great. I even wrote down a bunch of questions I wasn't sure of the answers to so I wouldn't forget, because I wanted to know so bad (that link to those answers in that other thread did a good job at tying up most of that, though.)

..If you didn't notice by now, I really liked this game. Going back to that trailer that came out 2 weeks ago for the sequel has gotten me crazy excited for something else like this.

There's a lot more I want to say, but I can't seem to find the right words and heck, hardly anyone is going to read this far anyways.

tl;dr? This game's great. If you have a DS and you haven't played this already, get it. Crazy praising of videogame over.

Devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Devoid

Let me start with: whoever it was that told me this was on sale that day on Amazon, I thank you wholeheartedly. I only bought it on a whim, not knowing anything about it except that a bunch of Internet people said it was good. It blew my non-existant expectations out of the water. Along with TWEWY and another game I can't really decide on yet, this is in my opinion one of the top 3 DS games.

Everything about this game is so great, especially the "Oh, wait, WHAT? What the heck?" kinda moments, and the puzzles were the right balance between "satisfying to solve, but simple/short enough that in additional playthroughs it wasn't a pain in the ass to do them again", and the music did a great job of highlighting the mood of each situation (especially a certain track named "Quietus".) The story was also good enough to keep me playing into stupid hours of the morning (now that usually happens with games, but this game kept me up even longer.)

Also, THOSE ENDINGS. It's been a long time since I've been that motivated to see all of a game's endings. The way this game handles the "multiple endings" mechanic was crazy. I don't think I've seen anything like that anywhere else.

If you wanted to know what order I got the endings in:

Axe -> Submarine -> Knife -> Coffin -> Safe -> True

And I wouldn't have had it any other way. It's pretty funny that the only reason I got the Axe one the first time was because I didn't say [Ice-9] to Seven, though. I was on the right track..

Usually with the final parts of games, I can get behind the "hell yeah, let's do this!" attitude that protagonists give off, but I don't think I've ever been so emotionally involved with what the character was actually doing for some of the parts, especially like I was with that last puzzle.

Also, Sudoku.. really? The upside-downness was a nice touch though.

After finishing this game, I lay where I had been playing it for what must have been hours trying to piece everything together, mostly the stuff the game doesn't come right out and tell you to your face. Which is great. I even wrote down a bunch of questions I wasn't sure of the answers to so I wouldn't forget, because I wanted to know so bad (that link to those answers in that other thread did a good job at tying up most of that, though.)

..If you didn't notice by now, I really liked this game. Going back to that trailer that came out 2 weeks ago for the sequel has gotten me crazy excited for something else like this.

There's a lot more I want to say, but I can't seem to find the right words and heck, hardly anyone is going to read this far anyways.

tl;dr? This game's great. If you have a DS and you haven't played this already, get it. Crazy praising of videogame over.

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By joshth

Glad to see someone else enjoy this game as much as I do (if you couldn't tell from my little picture). I don't think its much of an exageration to say that this game has likely the best story of any game I've ever played.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Bro I totally agree.

I like how the entire story changed depending on which choices you made. It wasn't just one story with 6 different endings.

eldiax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By eldiax

The music played a pretty important role in the atmosphere of the entire game. This track however is absolutely unforgettable. Can't wait for the sequel (same Nonary game, different characters and plot).

Obligatory Quietus post
    Devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Devoid

Oh man, did I actually write this? Haha

@FancySoapsMan: Exactly. It wasn't like most games with multiple endings, where you have to grind through 90% of the same stuff just to say something different near the end. It made getting everything really interesting, and the parts that you'd already seen? There's that fast-forward mechanic for bits you'd already seen.

Also, how the true ending pulled information from another ending was just awesome.

@eldiax: That song, combined with the first ending I got, left me more than a little unsettled at the time. It's crazy how the game goes into such detail about all the gory stuff.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Jaktajj

@Devoid: I regularly check back on the 999 GB forum just to see who's completed the game and is as blown away as I was by it! :D I'm not shamed to admit this game made my eyes water on more than one occasion - no game has ever drawn me in and made me care about the characters and story as much as this one! So excited for the sequel.

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Keeng

I've never agreed more with a group of people.

Poppy_Persona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Poppy_Persona

Yes, yes,yes just finished the true ending last night this game blew me away! Best DS game Ive ever played and top 5 games ever.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#9  Edited By BeachThunder
    @Poppy_Persona said:

Yes, yes,yes just finished the true ending last night this game blew me away! Best DS game Ive ever played and top 5 games ever.

And now go play VLR :o
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By toowalrus

This game is, indeed, amazing.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Ravenlight

I unlocked the Safe ending before I passed out last night and I'm itching for more. If the true ending is crazier than that, then I think I'm in for a treat.

Thanks Patrick for repping 999 so hard. I was initially pretty uninterested in playing through to more than one ending, but I'm glad I stuck it out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.