Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Activision Blizzard, Inc.

Company »

Activision Blizzard is the result of a merger between Activision and Vivendi Games worth an estimated $18.9 billion dollars. The merger was approved by the European Commission and finalized on July 9th, 2008.

Stop Buying/Playing Blizzard Games Now

• 197 results
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#101  Edited By Vorbis

I havn't bought an Activision game since Vigilante 8 on the PSone, because im boycotting? no, because they never release anything I want to play.

Diablo 3 may change my mind however.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By kishan6

you realize that gaming is about games not whether you like someone or not

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#103  Edited By Faint

well then everyone should stop playing wow. i'm amazed people still play anyway. once i got to 70 in the first expansion i realized it was just going to be a continuous cycle of expansions having you do basically the same thing and never reaching the finish line because there isn't one. glad i was smart enough to get out when i did.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By haggis
    @misplacedcircus: All this constant outrage at companies that make games. It's such a waste of energy. I'm assuming you've actually read the contracts concerning the payment of bonuses, right? No? Of course not. You have no idea what's going on at the company, and no idea what you're talking about. "Ethical Principles." Give me a break. Let the employees worry about their benefits. It has nothing to do with the games. If a game is good, buy it. That's all that matters. Why get mired in internal company politics you're not even a part of and have no first-hand knowledge of? I don't get why so many even care about it. The employees are adults, perfectly capable of going out and getting lawyers to fight over money if they want. It has nothing to do with you. If it makes you feel good about yourself, fine. But there's no reason it should.
    Avatar image for misplacedcircus
    misplacedcircus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By misplacedcircus
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " Diablo is one of my favorite franchises of all time. I'll be damned if I stop playing it just because there was some corporate drama. Everyone involved are adults and this probably will even lead to better things for the IW guys.  This post is dumb. "
    Mine too, I played Diablo for years. Diablo II for crazy amounts of time (I had found 3 legit SOJs). I stopped playing because this trend does not bode well for an industry that I love, this proves that they can get away with it. I hope you are right about "better things for the IW guys" at least in the long term, but I don't buy it, and I don't think you should either. Plus, I don't think it is dumb, but hey, to each his/her own. I guess.

@Siphillis
    said:
    " Last time we had a petition against Activision, Modern Warfare 2 broke records. "
    This isn't a petition, did you read all the stuff?
    ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#106  Edited By ch3burashka

I respect your opinion and dedication. Good luck being the only one in that camp.

misplacedcircus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By misplacedcircus
    @kishan6 said:

" you realize that gaming is about games not whether you like someone or not "

I think people care beyond being consumers of a product which is games, I believe that there are a few other people on this site who feel the same as I do. I might be wrong, but that isn't my place to figure out. 

@haggis
    said:

" @misplacedcircus: All this constant outrage at companies that make games. It's such a waste of energy. I'm assuming you've actually read the contracts concerning the payment of bonuses, right? No? Of course not. You have no idea what's going on at the company, and no idea what you're talking about. "Ethical Principles." Give me a break. Let the employees worry about their benefits. It has nothing to do with the games. If a game is good, buy it. That's all that matters. Why get mired in internal company politics you're not even a part of and have no first-hand knowledge of? I don't get why so many even care about it. The employees are adults, perfectly capable of going out and getting lawyers to fight over money if they want. It has nothing to do with you. If it makes you feel good about yourself, fine. But there's no reason it should. "

If you go back to what I said about what has already been documented, plus the evidential proving through Activision-Blizzard's previous legal disputing (the last posted article also explores the fact that Activision-Blizzard have a considerable history of mistreating their talent)... If you have read some of my replies and postings, you will realize that I have already defended these points of contention to a great degree. If a game is good... 

If there is one thing that you pointed out that I love you for, is that you admit that a good deal of people care about the situation. They might not be on this thread, but they are out there, maybe actually reading the previous posts instead of submitting a reply.
    Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#108  Edited By Mrskidders

Dumb thread is dumb.  Starcraft 2 is going to be awesome.

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By 9cupsoftea

It's depressing to see threads like this where everyone says 'fuck principle I just want to play that game'.  It's such a fucking childish mentality.

misplacedcircus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By misplacedcircus
    @Mrskidders said:
    " Dumb thread is dumb.  Starcraft 2 is going to be awesome. "
    /golfclap
    Stubert73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#111  Edited By Stubert73

While I think it's admirable to take a stand, it's up to the current and former employees of activision (and their lawyers) to get what is coming to them.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Pinworm45
    @Siphillis said:

" Last time we had a petition against Activision, Modern Warfare 2 broke records. "

This is one thing I feel the need to clarify. 

It really didn't. Oh, it sold REALLY fast, but that's not factoring in several things. 

FIrst of all, Modern Warfare 2 sold less than COD4. Yeah, it did. The record they love to pimp is it selling faster than CoD 4. It did. Let me explain why. 

CoD4 was back when CoD was nowhere near as popular as it is now. Naturally, it had a slower adoption rate. There's also other reasons such as steam pre-orders, etc. 

MW2 is basically the height of its popularity. People who loved COD4 and didn't know/care about the problems with MW2 pre-ordered and bought it ASAP, since they loved 4 so much. So it sold faster. 

It however, sold less than COD4. 

Which is actually pretty damn bad, for them.  

Edit: PS, I'm buying starcraft 2.
    apertura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By apertura

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Fenrisulfr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Fenrisulfr

I understand where you're coming from, Misplacedcirucus.  I hate Activision as much as I hate EA.  I may actually hate Activision even more.  I face a real dillema within the current state of affairs of the video game industry: I'm forced to support two companies that I absolutely hate in order to play the games I want to play.  This especially holds true for Blizzard games.  I've been playing Blizzard games since Warcraft: Orcs vs Humans came out and I'm still playing that developer's games.  It was a sad day when I heard of the merge between Activision and Blizzard.  The company I love is joining with the company I mildly didn't like (at the time).  But now, I want Starcraft 2, I have it paid off already.  I know that money is going to Bobby, but I still want to support Blizzard's development team.

It is nice to know that Bobby is right when he said gamers don't care.  Really nice.  I enjoy hearing that we'll just take whatever they throw at is because it looks pretty or swears a lot.  I hope the industry collapses.  Start over.  Hit the reset button.  Have the companies keep throwing Bad Warfare and Guitar Band at us until the shelves are so over stocked that production ceases and no one is able to do anything anymore.  I like hearing that it's the attitude of "idc just gimmie" right as I'm trying to get into the industry as a new company.

I may only be only one person, but I care.  I'm not buying anymore Activision products outside of the Blizzard department.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By jeffgoldblum

This is stupid.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By RobotHamster

I despise kotick but if I like a game I'm going to play it.  That being said I don't play wow and haven't gotten an activision game in a while so he hasn't been getting my money. 

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Clinkz
    @Fenrisulfr said:
    " I understand where you're coming from, Misplacedcirucus.  I hate Activision as much as I hate EA.  I may actually hate Activision even more.  I face a real dillema within the current state of affairs of the video game industry: I'm forced to support two companies that I absolutely hate in order to play the games I want to play.  This especially holds true for Blizzard games.  I've been playing Blizzard games since Warcraft: Orcs vs Humans came out and I'm still playing that developer's games.  It was a sad day when I heard of the merge between Activision and Blizzard.  The company I love is joining with the company I mildly didn't like (at the time).  But now, I want Starcraft 2, I have it paid off already.  I know that money is going to Bobby, but I still want to support Blizzard's development team.  It is nice to know that Bobby is right when he said gamers don't care.  Really nice.  I enjoy hearing that we'll just take whatever they throw at is because it looks pretty or swears a lot.  I hope the industry collapses.  Start over.  Hit the reset button.  Have the companies keep throwing Bad Warfare and Guitar Band at us until the shelves are so over stocked that production ceases and no one is able to do anything anymore.  I like hearing that it's the attitude of "idc just gimmie" right as I'm trying to get into the industry as a new company.  I may only be only one person, but I care.  I'm not buying anymore Activision products outside of the Blizzard department. "
    EA definitely isn't as bad anymore. They actually have garnered some of my respect compared to Activision.

I'm still buying Blizzard games.
    NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By NoXious

No thanks. Unlike the other Activision properties - Blizzard makes good games and reaps the reward.
    The way it should be.

Fenrisulfr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Fenrisulfr
    @Clinkz: 

That may be true, but I've still had nothing but poor experiecnes with every game I've bought this year from them.  Mass Effect 2 didn't work (PC version) and Bad Company 2's online component didn't function well.  At all.  Now, both of those problems could've been developer based problems, but as the distributor, why would you want to ship games that didn't run the way they're intended to play?  For Mass Effect, I couldn't get passed the first loading screen ( I wasn't the only one with this issue, a lot of people had the same problem) and Bad Company 2's multiplayer component wasn't running nearly at all.  Once again, I wasn't the only one with this problem.

Both of those experiences have left a bad taste in my mouth for anything EA related.  Why shouldn't it?  When you buy something, you expect it to work.
    BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By BunkerBuster

Let's see if I can break this down. Correct me if I'm wrong here.
    Hey everyone. I hate some corporate stooge so let's boycott one of the best developers he has so we can inadvertently give him more power and control over them so they stop making good games. 
    To this I say SHAME. Your ignorance will destroy us all.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Nephrahim

You can't really blame Activison for anything Blizzard related.  Before Activison, Blizzard was owned by  Vivendi, and they are the majority stockholders in the new company.  In the long run, Blizzard's boss didn't really change. 

As for the matter at hand, If you think a  company is making sub-par games, by all mean, don't buy thoes games.  I don't think there's any more effective way for the market to work then punish BAD games.  But the TC spesificly said Blizzard (Beacuse that's where their money comes from) and Blizzard makes GREAT games.  They and Valve are the standards of PC gaming.  I'm not going to try and punish a compony that dosen't treat some of their programers right by messing with the great programers they DO treat right. 

Also, again, see my previous comment about Chinese Hardware.  There are much more important things to be boycotting then a video game  company.  How about you go around and convince people to stop buying blood diamonds that get people KILLED, instead of games that make programmers earn less money then they should.

Fenrisulfr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Fenrisulfr
    @SamDrugbringer: 

You're completely correct about the Blizzard situation.  In a way though, buying a product made by Blizzard is still support Activision since money still goes into Activision's stocks.  As for China, that's is, again, correct.  But in a way, they're still developing.  Things really sucked for American workers for a long while as well.  It took the forming of unions and political backing before conditions changed.  I think China is in that period of industrial growth.  Also, China just doesn't care about their people.  But as for not supporting things...  What do you do?  China pumps out so many products.  It's hard to not buy from them.
    Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Gaff
    @misplacedcircus: Not to sound like an Acitivision Defense Force (I never cared for the Call of Duty, Guitar Hero franchise, nor do I particularly care for what Blizzard comes up with to earn an extra buck from my WoW subscription), but I do have to remind people that profit is income minus the cost. 

WoW is by now 5 years old, and though maintenance and development of new content takes a bite out of the pie, the actual costs are probably far smaller than, let's say, Call of Duty: Black Ops. Not to mention that the nature of the beast (a subscription based MMO) is in itself a huge cashcow. 

Besides, the weird thing is that Activision lists handhelds as separate from consoles in its Quarterly Report. Which just casts a bit of doubt on the whole "non-console-based video games" thing.
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Bones8677

Support good game companies by buying their good games. It's perfectly logical to buy games from Blizzard. This is a behavior that is good for the game industry, advocating against this because you have a grudge is shortsighted and...well just not smart.

Penelope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#125  Edited By Penelope

While I support the sentiment, this is a bit misguided.

ColMirage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By ColMirage

Negatory.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#127  Edited By Vinchenzo

Blizzard is my favorite company, right up there with Valve. So TC please enjoy missing all the awesome games that Blizzard makes just because you have stupid reasoning. Fucking idiot...

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By raiz265

Ehrm... no. 

@misplacedcircus said: 

" - I encourage anyone and everyone to refuse playing/paying any of Activision-Blizzard games out of ethical principal "

Do you sew your clothes yourself too? 
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#129  Edited By spazmaster666

Eh, I play whatever games that I enjoy, who the publisher is is not relevant to me. I'm a game player, not an activist.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#130  Edited By haggis
    @misplacedcircus: Actually, I didn't say a lot of people cared (you're reading that into my comment because you desperately want it to be true). As the comments on this post seem to indicate, the exact opposite is more likely the truth. I'm only commenting that it's become a constant cry from a few vocal people on these boards. So constant that it's become annoying.

And mistreatment is often in the eye of the beholder. There is always a lot of legal wrangling over employee compensation. It's not unique to Activision or any other company. We live in a litigious society. It's the nature of large corporations to be sued by employees for all sorts of things. It's the way things are. It's simply not worth getting very upset about. I've seen a lot of evidence that employees are willing to sue, and that Activision (just as any company would do) spends a lot of time defending itself from those claims. I won't try to adjudicate them, that's what the courts are for. But there is little point in consumers getting concerned about it. The lawyers will deal with it. That's what they're fore. Boycotts are almost always pointless. If you want Activision to treat its employees better, encourage its employees to negotiate better employment contracts.
    guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#131  Edited By guiseppe

I may have missed something, but are we supposed to get mad at Kotick / Activision because he made a smart business move by merging with Blizzard and thus making more money for his company? I mean, it is a business after all.

I'll still buy and play Blizzard's games because they are usually really, really, really good.

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By BunkerBuster

@misplacedcircus:  There are two problems that I can see with your ideals. 
    One is that instead of trying to boycott the whole of Activision, which would be impossible as they make almost all the titles we know, you only attack Blizzard. You attack them purely on the basis that they make quality games that sell huge amounts directly increasing Activision Blizzard's revenue. This developer has done nothing but make excellent games and attacking them might as well be trying to attack an orphanage.
    Two is that you have absolutely no idea how business' work and how the market deals with perceived problems. For example, BP just single handedly destroyed the Gulf of Mexico. They have had to pay billions in restitution and PR and because of all this the stock has gone down more than fifty percent. Now, because the stock price is so low there has been rampant buying of said stock because they know that BP will come out of this no matter what. In the end, even though it looks to be collapsing,  they support this company because it will pay. When all is said and done trying to hurt Activision with anything short of bankruptcy will only make it a better investment, which will in turn make it more money.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#133  Edited By Jimbo

I'd rather somebody just kicked Kotick in the balls.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Karl_Boss

okay

greenblattsam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#135  Edited By greenblattsam

STARCRAFT 2 SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NO

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#136  Edited By donutfever
    @misplacedcircus: They weren't fired because of the (admittedly messed up) royalties, it's because they were seeing another publisher. I didn't believe it at first but notice how quick that deal with EA happened. That made my sound like I was on Acti's side didn't, it? Oh well, I really stopped caring about COD and GH since January, so I'm not supporting them.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @misplacedcircus said:

I am personally refusing to pay to play any Blizzard games now and into the future, because of the truly dreadful mistreatment Infinity Ward employees are receiving

Maybe West and Zampella should've thought about those employees too before their coup. 
    Seems they may be just as guilty for wanting out so bad they didn't care who got trampled on their way out.
    No issues with buying the next Respawn title tho right?
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#138  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Sorry dude, but a good game is a good game no matter where it comes from. 

Have fun not playing Star Craft 2

misplacedcircus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By misplacedcircus
    @Stubert73 said:
    " While I think it's admirable to take a stand, it's up to the current and former employees of activision (and their lawyers) to get what is coming to them. "
    What if it I told you that Activision is getting exactly what they wanted by way of not honoring their contract and keeping a case in court until a year, which only the Infinity Ward bosses could afford to take to task? Doesn't that sound wrong to anyone? 

@NoXious said:
    " No thanks. Unlike the other Activision properties - Blizzard makes good games and reaps the reward.The way it should be. "
    Not for long. Do you not agree that the same thing could potentially happen to the talent at Blizzard? The whole issue is about Activision cutting talent out of profit, which is also in their company's business legacy. It's only a matter of when.
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By mazik765
    @misplacedcircus said:
    Not for long. Do you not agree that the same thing could potentially happen to the talent at Blizzard? The whole issue is about Activision cutting talent out of profit, which is also in their company's business legacy. It's only a matter of when.
    Activision owned Infinity Ward and that's why they had the power to do that. They don't own Blizzard, they are business partners. That's why there s Activision-Blizzard and why there never was an Activision-Infinity Ward.

I hate Activision as much as the next guy but do you really think boycotting their games is going to hurt Bobby Kotick? No, it's going to hurt the people who makes the games because they will fire more studios long before they decide to take a hit to their paychecks.
    NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By NoXious
    @misplacedcircus:
    And when that happens, I will stop buying Blizzard products. Until then I will be enjoying good quality games thank you very much.
    I've already stopped purchasing Call of Duty games now that I see MW2 is a bad iteration on an otherwise great franchise.
    misplacedcircus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By misplacedcircus
    @mazik765 said:

" @misplacedcircus said:

Activision owned Infinity Ward and that's why they had the power to do that. They don't own Blizzard, they are business partners. That's why there s Activision-Blizzard and why there never was an Activision-Infinity Ward.  I hate Activision as much as the next guy but do you really think boycotting their games is going to hurt Bobby Kotick? No, it's going to hurt the people who makes the games because they will fire more studios long before they decide to take a hit to their paychecks. "
    Bobby Kotick is the public face of the company. EA partially changed their company's way in which they did business for a change, they might go back on that, but they did change. Kotick is what I represent with what is wrong with Activision, and since a great deal of companies change 'public' figures in their company to satisfy a new corporate culture (Microsoft, EA, all of them do it) Kotick would surely be on the losing end of the deal. There are so many examples of this that I cannot even begin to go into (Gamespot too). 

Your position is perhaps the best to take on this topic, but then again it is the most fundamentally wrong one as well. 

I can tell you as a person who would love a job as a developer, I would absolutely refuse to accept a job in an environment in which the company sells me short. No matter what. I think that Activision-Blizzard's corporate culture of disrespecting talent is absolutely inexcusable and unacceptable. Wouldn't that be a better fundamentally sound stand to take, than "they will never change in the face of a consumer whom demands it of them, so nothing changes"? 

I for one will no longer tolerate the gross and obvious mistreatment of talent in the industry. Especially Activision-Blizzard because of just how obviously (remember the articles I listed) wrong they are in this situation. Since the gaming industry has failed to protect their own talent, I am taking it upon myself to see that I am not a part of the problem (I am not giving them money), and actively encouraging others to do the same. If another company follows in Activision-Blizzard's example, I will treat them the same.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#143  Edited By jakob187

I'm pretty sure that West and Zampella going off to EA and trying to work out some kind of deal with them for publishing behind the backs of their owners...was what got their asses fired. 

I'm not saying that withholding bonuses from IW employees is right.  I'm just pointing out that the way West and Zampella acted beforehand was fucking stupid.

MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By MadeinFinland

no thx. The second half of my summer is going to be devoted to SC2. Then, whenever it comes out, Diablo 3. Blizzard is one of my favourite companies, I'll never leave them.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Rockdalf
    @misplacedcircus said:
    " @mazik765 said:

" @misplacedcircus said:

Activision owned Infinity Ward and that's why they had the power to do that. They don't own Blizzard, they are business partners. That's why there s Activision-Blizzard and why there never was an Activision-Infinity Ward.  I hate Activision as much as the next guy but do you really think boycotting their games is going to hurt Bobby Kotick? No, it's going to hurt the people who makes the games because they will fire more studios long before they decide to take a hit to their paychecks. "
    Bobby Kotick is the public face of the company. EA partially changed their company's way in which they did business for a change, they might go back on that, but they did change. Kotick is what I represent with what is wrong with Activision, and since a great deal of companies change 'public' figures in their company to satisfy a new corporate culture (Microsoft, EA, all of them do it) Kotick would surely be on the losing end of the deal. There are so many examples of this that I cannot even begin to go into (Gamespot too).  Your position is perhaps the best to take on this topic, but then again it is the most fundamentally wrong one as well.  I can tell you as a person who would love a job as a developer, I would absolutely refuse to accept a job in an environment in which the company sells me short. No matter what. I think that Activision-Blizzard's corporate culture of disrespecting talent is absolutely inexcusable and unacceptable. Wouldn't that be a better fundamentally sound stand to take, than "they will never change in the face of a consumer whom demands it of them, so nothing changes"?  I for one will no longer tolerate the gross and obvious mistreatment of talent in the industry. Especially Activision-Blizzard because of just how obviously (remember the articles I listed) wrong they are in this situation. Since the gaming industry has failed to protect their own talent, I am taking it upon myself to see that I am not a part of the problem (I am not giving them money), and actively encouraging others to do the same. If another company follows in Activision-Blizzard's example, I will treat them the same. "
    Not buying games will hurt the developers, not Kotick.  You may feel like you're doing the noble thing, but if you even succeeded at something no one else has (rallying a community to not purchase a game), you're only hurting the studio's who made those games.

If you want to stick it to Kotick, buy hell out of what Respawn Entertainment puts out.
    misplacedcircus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By misplacedcircus
    @Rockdalf said:

" @misplacedcircus said:

" @mazik765 said:

" @misplacedcircus said:

Bobby Kotick is the public face of the company. EA partially changed their company's way in which they did business for a change, they might go back on that, but they did change. Kotick is what I represent with what is wrong with Activision, and since a great deal of companies change 'public' figures in their company to satisfy a new corporate culture (Microsoft, EA, all of them do it) Kotick would surely be on the losing end of the deal. There are so many examples of this that I cannot even begin to go into (Gamespot too).  Your position is perhaps the best to take on this topic, but then again it is the most fundamentally wrong one as well.  I can tell you as a person who would love a job as a developer, I would absolutely refuse to accept a job in an environment in which the company sells me short. No matter what. I think that Activision-Blizzard's corporate culture of disrespecting talent is absolutely inexcusable and unacceptable. Wouldn't that be a better fundamentally sound stand to take, than "they will never change in the face of a consumer whom demands it of them, so nothing changes"?  I for one will no longer tolerate the gross and obvious mistreatment of talent in the industry. Especially Activision-Blizzard because of just how obviously (remember the articles I listed) wrong they are in this situation. Since the gaming industry has failed to protect their own talent, I am taking it upon myself to see that I am not a part of the problem (I am not giving them money), and actively encouraging others to do the same. If another company follows in Activision-Blizzard's example, I will treat them the same. "
    Not buying games will hurt the developers, not Kotick.  You may feel like you're doing the noble thing, but if you even succeeded at something no one else has (rallying a community to not purchase a game), you're only hurting the studio's who made those games.  If you want to stick it to Kotick, buy hell out of what Respawn Entertainment puts out. "
    I disagree, but then again you probably already new that. I have already had other people outside of this forum admit independently that this one of the very few things that I can do as a consumer, and I encourage you (and others) to reconsider your view of power as a figurative stock holder in Activision-Blizzard products.
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Rockdalf
    @misplacedcircus: So you're saying, in your world, you see this:

Board: Gamers aren't buying are games because you mouthed off Kotick!  We knew this day would come, and you'll never work in the business again.  By the way, we're personally calling up those IW guys and giving them their hard earned bonuses, out of our OWN pockets, because your completely independent actions to fire them.

Kotick:
    *sobs* I now see the err of my ways.

--When I see:
    Kotick: It would appear that Black Ops wasn't the financial success we expected it to be, which to be honest is a damn shame.  All hands for firing half of Treyarch?

Board:
    Aye.
    sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By sjupp
    @Rockdalf said:
    " @misplacedcircus: So you're saying, in your world, you see this:

Board: Gamers aren't buying are games because you mouthed off Kotick!  We knew this day would come, and you'll never work in the business again.  By the way, we're personally calling up those IW guys and giving them their hard earned bonuses, out of our OWN pockets, because your completely independent actions to fire them.

Kotick:

--When I see:
    Kotick: It would appear that Black Ops wasn't the financial success we expected it to be, which to be honest is a damn shame.  All hands for firing half of Treyarch?

Board:
    Aye. "
    Lol.

Not buying Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2?
    HELLA NAW, WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM SON?
    misplacedcircus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By misplacedcircus
    @Rockdalf said:

" @misplacedcircus: So you're saying, in your world, you see this:

Kotick:

--When I see:

Board:
    Aye. "

My version

Kotick & crew: Hahahaha, we did it, now all we have to do is see the money come in even after all the things we did to those developers. 

(sales slide and become stagnant, or perhaps, *gasp* they lose money) 

Kotick & crew: oh my, we upset quite a few of our customers that we did all the things to those developers. 

(Board decides in the best interest of the stockholders for a change of company direction (a publicly cleaner face), chances are a part of that change is Kotick 'resigning' because of the massively unprofessional comments made regarding the industry he works in, thus tarnishing the company name and image (people started calling them Smacktivision and Infinity Who?).)

--------- 

Anyone reading either one of our hypothetical scenarios would have to agree that (statistically) I hold the advantage. History doesn't lie, and there are more instances of my scenario playing out given the factors (high profile comments by Kotick, comments already made in the press regarding the situation, change in sales, etc). Your scenario would have won out if none of these factors were made so public, and to top it all off I don't even need that incentive. 

You see: I already know that there has, and will continue to be, an impact to Activison-Blizzard due to this situation, and due to the idea that one of my favorite game makers (Blizzard) is a part of the equation, I had to make a personal choice if the issue is as important enough to stop paying/playing their games. I also think that it is important for people to know that if you stop buying Activision games on principal, you also inadvertently affect Blizzard, but the point is that this company - as a whole - are setting and leading a precedent in the gaming industry, which I whole-heartedly disagree with. I also know that a great deal of other people agree with me, but one important difference is that: I have had enough. 

If they want a dollar from me, let alone several hundred a year, they will begin to treat their workers with a little respect and dignity by paying them when they expect it.  

Trust me, Activision-Blizzard (you see, that is their name) are good for it; and isn't that why this is such of an important issue (you know, the fact that they are still refusing full payment)?!?!
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @jakob187 said:
    " I'm pretty sure that West and Zampella going off to EA and trying to work out some kind of deal with them for publishing behind the backs of their owners...was what got their asses fired.  I'm not saying that withholding bonuses from IW employees is right.  I'm just pointing out that the way West and Zampella acted beforehand was fucking stupid. "
    West and Zampella were not fired.  A press release was issued by Acitivision that they had been fired AFTER West and Zampella raised their lawsuit regarding loss of earnings (based on bonuses which in turn were based on record sales figures) and lack of direct control over their own IP both of which were part of a memo/minutes in  a meeting Activision had taken with IW prior to the release of MW2.  At the point of IW's lawsuit, it was clear that Activision were not going to honour the agreement between themselves and IW so West and Zampella took the only course of action they had and as a result Activision released a following press release which tried to insinuate that they had been fired for 'fiduciary irresponsibility' which Activision could say would serve as a valid reason for bonuses not having to be paid.  In short, you can't fire someone after the fact when they complain that they are not getting what you agreed to pay them and that's exactly what Activision did.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.