Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 25, 2008

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin is a turn based strategy game in the long running Nintendo Wars series. It features a much darker story and art style than the previous games; as well as online play.

Will I like this?

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By SpinCookie

I loved Jeanne d'Arc and am currently loving Valkyria Chronicles on PS3.  Is this worth trying out?

Cogito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Cogito

If you ever played Fire Emblem and liked it, you'll enjoy this.Though I don't really see how those two games above really could tell me if you'll like it or not....

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SpinCookie
    Cogito said:
    "If you ever played Fire Emblem and liked it, you'll enjoy this.Though I don't really see how those two games above really could tell me if you'll like it or not...."
    I just figured cause they're all strategy games, and Valkyria looks like advance wars kinda, before you dive into 3rd person view.  I like strategy games and have never given this series a shot.
    Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Endogene
    SpinCookie said:
    "Cogito said:
    "If you ever played Fire Emblem and liked it, you'll enjoy this.Though I don't really see how those two games above really could tell me if you'll like it or not...."
    I just figured cause they're all strategy games, and Valkyria looks like advance wars kinda, before you dive into 3rd person view.  I like strategy games and have never given this series a shot."
    Well advance wars is quite different from fire emblem, while in fire emblem you only have a set number of units for each fight in advance war there is a economy that allows you to produce units.
    Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By Davvyk

I totally had the same feeling playing VC as when i first played Advance Wars. main gameplay diff being that your enemys can shoot at you while your moving during your turn in VC but i say hell if you like turnbased games then you cant go wrong with Advance wars

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SpinCookie
    Davvyk said:
    "I totally had the same feeling playing VC as when i first played Advance Wars. main gameplay diff being that your enemys can shoot at you while your moving during your turn in VC but i say hell if you like turnbased games then you cant go wrong with Advance wars"
    Thanks for the advice, I'm definitely thinking about it.  I want this, and FF:Tactics A2 for the DS, along with many other games, some will have to wait until Christmas though.
    Cogito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Cogito
    Endogene said:
    "SpinCookie said:
    "Cogito said:
    I just figured cause they're all strategy games, and Valkyria looks like advance wars kinda, before you dive into 3rd person view.  I like strategy games and have never given this series a shot."
    Well advance wars is quite different from fire emblem, while in fire emblem you only have a set number of units for each fight in advance war there is a economy that allows you to produce units."
    I was just thinking in terms of the turn based battles.
    Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Steve_C

Advance Wars is great on the DS, but i would have to recommend the first one, Dual Strike. Days of Ruin is still a good game, but i found the difficulty to be a little too much at times (i still haven't completed it), and they took the light RPG elements out which i enjoyed in the first one.

Overall i found dual strike to be a more enjoyable game, so i'd say go with that one. You should find it cheaper to get a hold of too, and at least for me, it was a great entry into the series as i had barely played any of the GBA games.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By keyhunter

I can't comprehend playing anything on the go other than Pokemon for some reason.

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SpinCookie
    keyhunter said:
    "I can't comprehend playing anything on the go other than Pokemon for some reason."
    Being a huge Nintendo fan, I'm surprised that I haven't tried a single Pokemon game yet, should I get Diamond or Pearl or just wait for Platinum?
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By keyhunter

Get the platinum, bro. It's got a new Variant for Rotom.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By oldschool

I have just finished the campaign on Advance Wars Dual Strike and in the middle of the Hard.  I love TBS and Advance is right up there with Final Fantasy Tactics, Fire Emblem and Disgaea.  I am in the middle of Days of Ruin (or Dark Conflict as I know it) and the campaign is good, but as was mentioned, Dual Strike is better for the non campaign aspect.  Age of Empires and Civilisation are also worth a mention, plus, I  really want to get Lock's Quest, that looks sweet.  Although it is RTS, Heroes of Mana was an excellent game.  I can't wait for a Baten Kaitos DS game as well.

Strategy games are ace and TBS are acer :)
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#13  Edited By Soap
    Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#14  Edited By Atlas

The Advance Wars games are completely fantastic. I'd say if you like games like Jeanne D'Arc and Valkyria Chronicles, you should absolutely get some Advance Wars. The older games are probably pretty cheap at this point.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By oldschool
    @Linkyshinks said:

" Will Wright likes this:  

http://kotaku.com/5492761/guess-which-nintendo-game-spores-creator-plays-most-in-his-life "

Every morning, Wright said, he gets up and has a cup of coffee.

"While I drink my coffee I pull out my DS and play Advance Wars," he said. "I've played that game more than any other in my life. I love Advance Wars, it lets me relax while I spin up my brain."

Wright said it takes about 15 minutes of Advance Wars play to boot up his brain every morning.

I pretty much do the same thing.  More mornings than not have a battle on Advance Wars.  I usually download a new map and give it a go.  What can I say, the man has good taste. 
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By MysteriousBob

It really is the gaming equivalent of chess. 
    Uhh, video gaming.

toast_burner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By toast_burner

Get Advance wars: Dual strike

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.