Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

Open World? Not Quite.

modeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By modeps

I mentioned this in my review, but wanted to see what you all thought.  At the current time, the Amazon.com description of Alan Wake reads the following:

Explore an Entire Town
    The town of Bright Falls is 100 square kilometers, and players will be able to roam through this incredibly detailed area any way they like, roaming the town or wandering out to the lakes, forest, satellite towns, and more. The game gives the player goals, but how he chooses to go about completing them is up to him. Clues are scattered throughout the town, and solving mysteries will require players to pay close attention to the little details.

This just is NOT true at all, as Alan Wake is completely linear. At one time, Remedy did indeed say it was going to be an open world title, but their game changed multiple times over the long dev cycle. Does it bother you that they are promoting it that way? Did you think it was an open world game before reviews started hitting?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Jeust

That's how advertising is...  

On another note it is bothersome that the game hasn't launched and there are already four user reviews of it. 

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

I indeed thought it would be an open world game. Kind of a bummer that its linear. But from reviews (or just giantbombs) the linear aspect isn't that much of a downer. Still looks like a great game.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

It's misinformation after all so it will definitely have to get edited as soon as possible. Most people who would get Alan Wake know enough about it to notice how very wrong that description is, but there'll still be some that'll go in gravely disappointed because of it

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By xyzygy

I'm sick and tired of people complaining about linearity. First FFXIII, now this. It's getting ridiculous actually. Not every game should be an open world game. They probably made this decision to make it a greater experience as a story.

modeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By modeps
    @Jeust said:
    " That's how advertising is...   On another note it is bothersome that the game hasn't launched and there are already four user reviews of it.  "
    Advertising means telling lies? Additionally, I was sent an early copy for review, so I'm sorry if it bothers you. I write for another website and wanted to share my thoughts here.
    modeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By modeps
    @xyzygy said:
    " I'm sick and tired of people ranting about linearity. First FFXIII, now this. It's getting ridiculous actually. Not every game should be an open world game. They probably made this decision to make it a greater experience as a story. "
    Who was ranting about the linear nature of the game? I was talking about the description and what is being sold to consumers.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By xyzygy
    @modeps said:

" @xyzygy said:

" I'm sick and tired of people ranting about linearity. First FFXIII, now this. It's getting ridiculous actually. Not every game should be an open world game. They probably made this decision to make it a greater experience as a story. "
    Who was ranting about the linear nature of the game? I was talking about the description and what is being sold to consumers. "
    Sorry, ranting was the wrong word. And it's not directed at you, but at those who would be disappointed because of it.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By Yummylee
    @xyzygy said:
    " @modeps said:

" @xyzygy said:

Who was ranting about the linear nature of the game? I was talking about the description and what is being sold to consumers. "
    Sorry, ranting was the wrong word. And it's not directed at you, but at those who would be disappointed because of it. "
    So it was me then?...Well then I guess I should also explain that by disappointed, I mean to the people who go in expecting an open-world game as Amazon advertised. 
    roscoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By roscoe
    @modeps said:
    " @Jeust said:
    " That's how advertising is...   On another note it is bothersome that the game hasn't launched and there are already four user reviews of it.  "
    Advertising means telling lies? Additionally, I was sent an early copy for review, so I'm sorry if it bothers you. I write for 
    another website and wanted to share my thoughts here. "

the game companies themselves dont handle the advertising, so its not really like you should be faulting remedy. as for linearity, it shouldnt matter if a game is linear or open world. if its a good game then its a good game. linear games make you see the story. i have no problem with that
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jeust
    @modeps said:

" @Jeust said:

Advertising means telling lies? Additionally, I was sent an early copy for review, so I'm sorry if it bothers you. I write for another website and wanted to share my thoughts here. "
    You don't need to be so stingy.  

Advertising isn't always correct, and sometimes means lying. It's nothing new. If you're really worried, there are consumer services that deal with such cases.

About the reviews, i think it's a pity that users waiting till launch day will probably reconsider uploading their own enthusiastic reviews as the there will be plenty already. Good for making a more clearer decision initially, but it sucks to any unprivileged user who would like to share theirs. But that's globalization, isn't it? So not much else to do besides ranting. 
    modeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By modeps
    @Jeust said:
    " You don't need to be so stingy.   Advertising isn't always correct, and sometimes means lying. It's nothing new. If you're really worried, there are consumer services that deal with such cases. About the reviews, i think it's a pity that when users waiting till launch day will probably reconsider uploading their own enthusiastic reviews as the there will be plenty already. Good for making a more clearer decision, but it sucks to any unprivileged user who would like to share theirs. But that's globalization, isn't it? "
    Hah, ok. So it's ok because it's normal? That doesn't sound acceptable at all.
    Regarding reviews: Alan Wake isn't a normal case. Typically games are sent out a week in advance of release... but AW was sent out several weeks in advance.  Microsoft must have thought that it was a winner and wanted to get the buzz out considering they were going up against a real open-world title. I doubt this will eschew anyone from writing a review here.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead

Considering how bad a lot of open world games are, this kind of narrative seems like a breath of fresh air. There is a big difference between the FFXIII kind of stripped down linearity and Alan Wake's seemingly more story driven set up.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jeust
    @modeps:  

It isn't acceptable, but as you noticed you can do something about it.   

Hum hum it is probably one of the best titles for the xbox 360 this year and in its lifetime, so it's understandable Microsoft's confidence in it. For now it won't eschew, but with a dozen of reviews in, it will start looking like a waste of time to do another one. 
    modeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By modeps
    @Jeust said:

" @modeps:   It isn't acceptable, but as you noticed you can do something about it.    Hum hum it is probably one of the best titles for the xbox 360 this year and in its lifetime, so it's understandable Microsoft's confidence in it. For now it won't eschew, but with a dozen of reviews in, it will start looking like a waste of time to do another one.  "

I disagree. I enjoyed it, but it's certainly not the best 360 title this year or in its lifetime. Mass Effect 2 is still a better game.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jeust
    @modeps said:

" @Jeust said:

" @modeps:   It isn't acceptable, but as you noticed you can do something about it.    Hum hum it is probably one of the best titles for the xbox 360 this year and in its lifetime, so it's understandable Microsoft's confidence in it. For now it won't eschew, but with a dozen of reviews in, it will start looking like a waste of time to do another one.  "

I disagree. I enjoyed it, but it's certainly not the best 360 title this year or in it's lifetime. Mass Effect 2 is still a better game. "
    Not the better one, but one of the best. Mass Effect 2 is better, also probably RDR and SSF4, maybe Dead Space 2, Fable 3 and Halo Reach. Still probably one of the best games of the year for the Xbox 360. 
    Kouerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Kouerson

I still have Deadly Premonition as my game of the year, I loved that game since it came out. RDR and Alan Wake have a strong chance of cracking the top four though.

modeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By modeps
    @Kouerson said:
    " I still have Deadly Premonition as my game of the year, I loved that game since it came out. RDR and Alan Wake have a strong chance of cracking the top four though. "
    I haven't looked at any of the endurance run videos, but is that a joke, or serious? It seems to have one seriously weird following.
    ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By ez123

If someone's buying the game based on the Amazon description, they deserve it.  All of the reviews say it's linear in one way or another.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By Catolf
    @modeps said:
    " @Kouerson said:
    " I still have Deadly Premonition as my game of the year, I loved that game since it came out. RDR and Alan Wake have a strong chance of cracking the top four though. "
    I haven't looked at any of the endurance run videos, but is that a joke, or serious? It seems to have one seriously weird following. "
    I think the game has a sort of cult following, like many ATLUS titles, diamonds in the rough. Even if a game is bad gameplay/mechanic's wise but the storline and the character's make it intriguing and worth looking into. I myself find it hard to resist buying this game cause, I admit, I wanna play too, Don't you agree Zack?

*whistles Life is beautiful and heads on her way*
    Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mourne

While it isn't open-world, it is extremely detailed and very well designed (unlike so many other "linear" games of late). Alan Wake is such a rich experience that, if you own a 360 (or even plan to in the near future), you really shouldn't skip out on it. It's a thriller novel as a video game with some very unique storytelling that's simply a breath of fresh air after the repetitive tripe we get put through these days. There's a wealth of environments and scenarios throughout the game, which more than makes up for the fact it is more or less a straight arrow.

What impressed me most about the game outside of the atmosphere and storytelling was the fluidity of the controls. I don't think I've played a game this generation that really felt as smooth and flawless as does Alan Wake. Instead of going with the scattershot approach to their battle system, Remedy has made a game that is superbly focused on its two core mechanics (light, then shoot). Those work so well in conjunction with one another that I can't wait to see what they have in store with the DLC.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Jeust said:
    Sometimes yes, but in this instance it's amazon being fucktards again, they havn't changed that description since 2007 i'm guessing. 

Originally the gameplay was very very open world, you could literally explore the whole town whenever, go wherever, and the day/night cycles governed the progression of events. I don't know why they changed it to being linear, there are any number of reasons why companies do that, it's happened to a lot of ambitious games like Alan Wake. 

As for the user reviews, it leaked onto the internet a week or so ago thanks to either some asshole tester or some less-than-honest marketing employee or games journalist. So they've probably been playing pirated versions. :( That or some places broke street date, or they are testers and tested the game (in which case they are guilty of breaking NDA and would be fired :P) but yeah, mostly likely pirated.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jeust
    @The_A_Drain said:
    " @Jeust said:
    Sometimes yes, but in this instance it's amazon being fucktards again, they havn't changed that description since 2007 i'm guessing.  Originally the gameplay was very very open world, you could literally explore the whole town whenever, go wherever, and the day/night cycles governed the progression of events. I don't know why they changed it to being linear, there are any number of reasons why companies do that, it's happened to a lot of ambitious games like Alan Wake.  As for the user reviews, it leaked onto the internet a week or so ago thanks to either some asshole tester or some less-than-honest marketing employee or games journalist. So they've probably been playing pirated versions. :( That or some places broke street date, or they are testers and tested the game (in which case they are guilty of breaking NDA and would be fired :P) but yeah, mostly likely pirated. "
    hum hum the game probably changed into a linear experience in order to be more impactful.   

About the user reviews, it's one of the prices of globalization. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.