Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Aliens vs. Predator

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Feb 16, 2010

The third game in the popular AvP franchise. Players are be able to control one of the three deadly species in a fight for survival.

Aliens Vs. Predator Multiplayer Hands-On

• 50 results
    Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Ryan  Staff

Somebody wake up Hicks.
     Somebody wake up Hicks.
    Having already developed two first-person shooters under the Aliens Vs. Predator name--once on the Atari Jaguar, and once on the PC--UK developer Rebellion Games has a well-established history with this movie monster mash-up franchise. So who better to spearhead another revival than a developer that obviously understands the importance of both balancing and differentiating Aliens, Predators, and the seemingly hapless space marines stuck in betwixt? Sega, which is publishing Rebellion's next AVP title, held an Xbox 360 multiplayer event earlier this week where we were able to refamiliarize ourselves with the three iconic factions and check out some of the gameplay modes that capitalize on their uniqueness.

If you're familiar with Rebellion's previous forays into the realm of Alien-on-Predator-on-Space-Marine violence, you probably already have at least some sense of the rock-paper-scissors dynamic inherent to AVP, and it seems to still be one of the defining characteristics here. When playing as a Predator, you've got a menagerie of gadgets to fell your enemies with, including a cloaking device that makes it easy to get the drop and a shoulder-mounted plasma cannon that packs a lot of punch, though at the cost of a relatively slow firing rate. As such, I found that, when playing as a Predator, the regular and heavy melee attacks were the most effective way to take down an enemy, particularly when the cloaking device is active. There were several other gadgets that I didn't manage to figure out how to use during my time with the game, leaving me with the impression that this is the most technically complicated class of the three.

Predators have the freshest gear, but it's the Aliens that boast the best mobility in the game. The default movement speed is impressive, and since they don't use any conventional weapons, it's also critical in getting up close to your enemies for claw swipe and tail attacks. Both the Alien and the Predator have suitably grisly execution moves they can perform on enemies caught unawares. Aliens can also prove difficult to draw a bead on, since they can effortlessly climb on virtually any surface in the game, transitioning from one surface to another with a quick tug on the right trigger. Since they play so fast and loose with gravity, I found it easy to get disoriented when playing as the Alien, though if you get too turned around, you can reorient yourself to the ground, also performed with the right trigger. It felt like Aliens really excelled when operating in small, loosely organized packs, swarming on enemies like the horrible space insects they are.

The big surprise for me was how enjoyable the space marine ended up being, and not just because the default player model looks like a lean and grizzled Brian Doyle Murray. Within the Aliens universe, being a space marine is tantamount to being hamburger ceviche, but they can hold their own quite well in AVP. He plays like a pretty standard, armed with an assault rifle and a pistol by default, and he can also pick up other Earth-man weapons like shotguns and flamethrowers. (Quick aside: flamethrowers in games are never as much fun to use as you'd hope, and this one still suffers from reach issues, but it's undeniably satisfying to watch an Alien writhe and scream while engulfed in flames.) Even though the marine represents the most traditional first-person shooter experience, the bizarre abilities of his enemies gives it enough of a twist. Also, the assault rifle holds massive 100-bullet clips, which really facilitates some proper Bill-Paxton-style space marine freak-outs.

Come on! Do it now! Kill me!
    We played a few rounds of standard deathmatch, team deathmatch, and control-point modes before jumping into some of the gameplay types that more specifically capitalize on the factions of AVP. In one mode, everyone starts as a space marine, and then one player is picked at random to play as the Predator. The goals are to kill as many marines as you can when you're the Predator, and to hunt down the Predator when playing as a marine, which will then turn you into the Predator. Similarly, there's another mode where everyone starts as a marine, and one player is chosen to play as an Alien. In this mode, though, any marines felled by the Alien are then turned into Aliens themselves the next time they spawn, with the overall goal of surviving as a marine for as long as you can. These modes might sound pretty familiar in description, but the actual dynamics give each their own distinct feel.

The game seems to be doing a good job of capturing the little touches associated with the franchise--the look of the Predator's heads-up display, the wall-eyed perspective of the Alien, and the compressed sound of the space marine's assault rifle. After spending a few hours murdering other members of the press, we got to spend some time chatting with Rebellion's Tim Jones, project lead for Aliens Vs. Predator, about the game, Rebellion's history with the franchise, and his own extraterrestrial exterminating prowess.

Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ryan  Staff

Somebody wake up Hicks.
     Somebody wake up Hicks.
    Having already developed two first-person shooters under the Aliens Vs. Predator name--once on the Atari Jaguar, and once on the PC--UK developer Rebellion Games has a well-established history with this movie monster mash-up franchise. So who better to spearhead another revival than a developer that obviously understands the importance of both balancing and differentiating Aliens, Predators, and the seemingly hapless space marines stuck in betwixt? Sega, which is publishing Rebellion's next AVP title, held an Xbox 360 multiplayer event earlier this week where we were able to refamiliarize ourselves with the three iconic factions and check out some of the gameplay modes that capitalize on their uniqueness.

If you're familiar with Rebellion's previous forays into the realm of Alien-on-Predator-on-Space-Marine violence, you probably already have at least some sense of the rock-paper-scissors dynamic inherent to AVP, and it seems to still be one of the defining characteristics here. When playing as a Predator, you've got a menagerie of gadgets to fell your enemies with, including a cloaking device that makes it easy to get the drop and a shoulder-mounted plasma cannon that packs a lot of punch, though at the cost of a relatively slow firing rate. As such, I found that, when playing as a Predator, the regular and heavy melee attacks were the most effective way to take down an enemy, particularly when the cloaking device is active. There were several other gadgets that I didn't manage to figure out how to use during my time with the game, leaving me with the impression that this is the most technically complicated class of the three.

Predators have the freshest gear, but it's the Aliens that boast the best mobility in the game. The default movement speed is impressive, and since they don't use any conventional weapons, it's also critical in getting up close to your enemies for claw swipe and tail attacks. Both the Alien and the Predator have suitably grisly execution moves they can perform on enemies caught unawares. Aliens can also prove difficult to draw a bead on, since they can effortlessly climb on virtually any surface in the game, transitioning from one surface to another with a quick tug on the right trigger. Since they play so fast and loose with gravity, I found it easy to get disoriented when playing as the Alien, though if you get too turned around, you can reorient yourself to the ground, also performed with the right trigger. It felt like Aliens really excelled when operating in small, loosely organized packs, swarming on enemies like the horrible space insects they are.

The big surprise for me was how enjoyable the space marine ended up being, and not just because the default player model looks like a lean and grizzled Brian Doyle Murray. Within the Aliens universe, being a space marine is tantamount to being hamburger ceviche, but they can hold their own quite well in AVP. He plays like a pretty standard, armed with an assault rifle and a pistol by default, and he can also pick up other Earth-man weapons like shotguns and flamethrowers. (Quick aside: flamethrowers in games are never as much fun to use as you'd hope, and this one still suffers from reach issues, but it's undeniably satisfying to watch an Alien writhe and scream while engulfed in flames.) Even though the marine represents the most traditional first-person shooter experience, the bizarre abilities of his enemies gives it enough of a twist. Also, the assault rifle holds massive 100-bullet clips, which really facilitates some proper Bill-Paxton-style space marine freak-outs.

We played a few rounds of standard deathmatch, team deathmatch, and control-point modes before jumping into some of the gameplay types that more specifically capitalize on the factions of AVP. In one mode, everyone starts as a space marine, and then one player is picked at random to play as the Predator. The goals are to kill as many marines as you can when you're the Predator, and to hunt down the Predator when playing as a marine, which will then turn you into the Predator. Similarly, there's another mode where everyone starts as a marine, and one player is chosen to play as an Alien. In this mode, though, any marines felled by the Alien are then turned into Aliens themselves the next time they spawn, with the overall goal of surviving as a marine for as long as you can. These modes might sound pretty familiar in description, but the actual dynamics give each their own distinct feel.

The game seems to be doing a good job of capturing the little touches associated with the franchise--the look of the Predator's heads-up display, the wall-eyed perspective of the Alien, and the compressed sound of the space marine's assault rifle. After spending a few hours murdering other members of the press, we got to spend some time chatting with Rebellion's Tim Jones, project lead for Aliens Vs. Predator, about the game, Rebellion's history with the franchise, and his own extraterrestrial exterminating prowess.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By zityz

Looking excited to play it the more i hear about it.
    MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MarkWahlberg

It seems almost ironic that standard shooter multiplayer modes like Horde and Juggernaut are essentially based on these movies, and to be old news when a game like this finally comes out.  Hopefully this'll be different enough to be worth it.

Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By Kibblez

Looking forward to this..

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks

I played the MP demo at an event last year and really enjoyed it. 

MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By MichaelBach

Yeah, I'm definately down with some AVP action!

JeevesPleez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By JeevesPleez

I'm really looking forward to their co-op survival mode as well. Four marines against an infinite number of aliens...

ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ZmillA

the editing on that interview one was top notch!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By jakob187

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!  DO WANT, LIKE NOW!!!  The wait is KILLING me! 

With the success of something as unique as Left 4 Dead as a franchise, I'm hoping that people will pick this one up and it'll become a big hit revival for a killer franchise.  I need me some Predator actions!!!

xIvSlow420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xIvSlow420

Did you guys ask about the release date,europe is apparently feb 19th and i keep hearing feb 16th is "likely" for NA,but eb still doesn't even have the collectors edition in the computer for preorder and feb 16th is coming up fast.

Edit. NM just finished the vid,now i'm worried the Collectors isn't coming to Canada

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Milkman

Looking good. But I'm not sure how good.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By wrecks

yes. yesssssss.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Media_Master

Looks slick!

chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#14  Edited By chronicsmoke

DAMN I CANT WAIT FOR THIS THE WAIT IS KILLIN ME!!!!!

Jared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jared

This game looks very good, already preordered it on Steam!

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GunnBjorn

Kill Me...! (Incubated Victim with a Chestbuster about to 'hatch')
    AngelicRampage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AngelicRampage

i cant fucking wait for this game, I NEED IT! ive played and beaten every avp game that i can think of on pc and consoles, except that RTS one, Extinction, i think its claled, never played that one though =(

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#18  Edited By ImperiousRix

If the multiplayer ends up being really solid and runs smoothly, I might just have to pick up this game.  Always a big fan of the movies, haven't had the privilege to play any of the games yet, however.

TinaWood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TinaWood

I hate these movies, but I love the original series with Sigourney Weaver, she was my hero when I was growing up in my Compton hood.  

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By shirogane

This is one game where i don't want the special collectors edition thing. 

Damn that facehugger freaks me out.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JoelTGM

that looks good, which I wasn't expecting... too many games...
    that would be so much fun if it was done successfully.

Badfysh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Badfysh

cant wait for this game, love this franchise n glad to see it comin back strong

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

sigh... looks like this game is gonna turn out good. i just bought MAG, i'm getting white knight chronicles this tuesday, heavy rain at the end of the month, and i'm getting a game per week in march. and now this. idk if i'll be able to afford it all.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Sounds like I'll have to break out the Dramamine to play the Aliens in this game. Dammit!

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By John1912

IF they could make a AAA MP out of this, it would be pretty epic.

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Crash_Happy

Looks like this will be good, phew! I don't think I'll pre-order this one but I will be looking to see what GB gives it review wise.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5619720a117
    deactivated-5e5619720a117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Infinite number of Batmans" made me laugh.

Reverseface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Reverseface

That's it man, game over man, game over! What the fuck are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do? 

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#29  Edited By jacksukeru

I really liked AvP 2, playing as an alien and dashing around was a blast. Though starting as a facehugger was a bit overpowered at times so I guess it's good they apparently took that out of this one. 

Edit: Listening to the interview it really does sound like the old games, neat.

RedHerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RedHerb

I find the lack of game play footage disturbing...

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By penguindust

I'm not interested in the standard multiplayer aspects of the game.  If I wanted that I have Modern Warfare 2 and a ton of basic shooters to choose from.  However, the character specific game-types are really intriguing to me.   As a fan of the original on the PC, I'd still like to know about the balance of the classes.  This was a big problem with the PC game a decade ago, and if it's not fixed then the multiplayer will be as broke as it was back then.  Everyone will be Predators and there's no fun in that.  Still, if I do pick this title up it will likely be for the single-player campaign.  It looks to be coming along nicely. 

@RedHerb:  Earlier this week someone linked some footage from a German site (I think).  It was all "under the table" stuff and that thread has been removed.  But the video was very nice for unfinished build stuff. 

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jambones

*coughhordemodecough*

@Milkman said:

" Looking good. But I'm not sure how good. "

You know, I was thinking along the same lines. I was watching the footage over on looki.de the other day, and while it probably was early footage, I was a little skeptical about how it looks and sounds. Could be a lot of fun though, and that's what matters.
    Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Look, this is an emotional moment for all of us, okay? I know that. But, let's not make snap judgments, please. This is clearly-clearly an important game we're dealing with and I don't think that you or I, or anybody, has the right to arbitrarily judge it.

twelve1784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By twelve1784

I don't mind if AvP looks a step or two below some of the top-tier shooters out there as long as the sacrifice was made in the name of speed.  This is a game where the framerate needs to be very high for the game to be enjoyable.  Also, whatever your opinion about graphical fidelity, one thing it looks like they've nailed is the atmosphere.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

I loved the first two but this game wont deliver, pretty sure it'll be like a 7/10 game and I'm not interested in putting my time in anything that isn't AAA.

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Carlos1408

I like the direction this game is going in, it looks very promising. I'm quite excited. :D

Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Impossibilium
    @Zatoichi_Sanjuro said:
    "  Look, this is an emotional moment for all of us, okay? I know that. But, let's not make snap judgments, please. This is clearly-clearly an important game we're dealing with and I don't think that you or I, or anybody, has the right to arbitrarily judge it. "

How is it important? It's the second sequel, the gameplay is the same and the entire Aliens and Predator franchise is tired and played out now.
    Jerusahat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jerusahat
    @Impossibilium said:
    " @Zatoichi_Sanjuro said:
    "  Look, this is an emotional moment for all of us, okay? I know that. But, let's not make snap judgments, please. This is clearly-clearly an important game we're dealing with and I don't think that you or I, or anybody, has the right to arbitrarily judge it. "
     How is it important? It's the second sequel, the gameplay is the same and the entire Aliens and Predator franchise is tired and played out now. "
    Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away?
    CharkeeFarlee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By CharkeeFarlee

do want

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FunExplosions

Ahhh man. This is my kind of game. So pumped.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#42  Edited By KillyDarko

The AvP game series are among my favorites and this one is looking very promising. I'll definitely buy it! :)

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By penguindust
    @buckybit:   Ha-ha, I remember stepping into AVP multiplayer matches a decade ago, too.  I usually played an Alien so my survival time was a tad longer however only as long as I remained hidden.  I'd sneak around the tunnels they can use than drop down on a marine, but if I didn't kill him in one shot I'd be dead.  Aliens are fast and agile but they go down easy.  The average match was 1 or 2 Aliens, 1 or 2 Marines and 6 or more Predators.  It wasn't all that fun to play around with the other races online.  Too bad, because the original had a lot going for it.  

Yeah, if I wasn't already inundated with other titles (Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age: Origins, Ratchet & Clank Future 2, Torchlight, etc...) I'd definitely pick it up.  Especially now that I read that Rebellion Studios has patched in online play to the old classic.  Time to get slaughtered again. ;-)
    DavidSnakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By DavidSnakes
    @Impossibilium said:
     How is it important? It's the second sequel, the gameplay is the same and the entire Aliens and Predator franchise is tired and played out now. "
    Ughhhhh
    Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Zatoichi_Sanjuro
    @Impossibilium said:

Whoa, whoa wait a a minute. This game has a substantial dollar value attached to it. 
    Alphawolfy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Alphawolfy

This might actually turn out good!

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#47  Edited By MeatSim

It's looking better then you would think but it's still not mind blowing or anything.

Moxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Moxy

i bought avp2 off steam a couple of weeks go and since then the devs have added multi and tweaked it for widescreen with a couple of patches. if you dont have it its only £2.99 and a bargain people. 
    Workyticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Workyticket
    @Impossibilium said:
    Maybe we should take off and nuke the entire franchise from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
    Provenmayhem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Provenmayhem

I have played the 360 demo for a bit since its release yesterday. I find that rebellion did a very good job with the atmosphere and the races.  I didn't find one race unbalanced in relation to any other and I found that i was thinking like a Predator, Alien and Marine as I selected each. Both playing to their strengths and trying to diminish their weakness through play. The only thing that I didn't understand is why when offering three different controller layouts they never moved the melee attacks to the Triggers instead of the Bumpers? With the Predator and Alien specifically I see this as a problem. Both rely on their stronger melee attacks to deal damage quickly and effectively with varying racial abilities in play. Other than that it was a very enjoyable demo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.