Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alpha Protocol

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released May 27, 2010

Control rogue agent Michael Thorton as he tries to unearth an international conspiracy in the near future (where everybody seems to have a hidden agenda or two) in this third-person action RPG.

Jeffs Alpha Protocol Review was...accurate

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Jeust

The game is awesome! it's a fun, engaging and addictive experience into the life of a fictitious and Hollywood vibe secret agent. 

Good story, believable and interesting relationships between the characters (much better than ME and ME2), glamour, guns, high-tech toys - a spy movies' fan wet dream.  

But then there is the technical mess that the game is. Bugs, poor gameplay at spots, unimpressive graphics, slowdowns, screen tearing, loading screens (even when loading things like your item list) are frequent, and while i don't give a particular importance to any of these factors (maybe a bit to the loading screens), a person has to be pretty uninterested in this aspects to fully enjoy the game, as they happen frequently, some more frequently than others. Still i haven't experience a game breaking bug.  

In the end it's one of the best games of the year for what it does right. But also one of the worse high profile games for what it does wrong. 

But i can't be indifferent. *wishing next Obsidian game won't have the issues that haunts this one* 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

I still very much plan to play this game one day....christ I feel like I'm becoming a broken record when alpha protocol is concerned lol.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Rhaknar
    @Abyssfull said:
    " I still very much plan to play this game one day....christ I feel like I'm becoming a broken record when alpha protocol is concerned lol. "
    same >_> I'll add the obligatory "when I find it cheap"
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jeust
    @Abyssfull: And you shouldn't be ashamed of it, it is a great game, unfortunately its worth of 60$ is a bit arguable, as some people, who dismiss its shortcommings, will love it and find it worthwhile, others will hate it for its techincal issues and cast it aside. 
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Jeust said:
    " *Jeff's*     *Alpha Protocol*     *review*      was.... *accurate*  "
    Oh no oh no oh no..... this is Lost Planet 2 all over again.... 

FLEE GODDAMNIT FLEE 
    ABANDON SHIP!!!!
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By HandsomeDead

Hearing all this makes me sad for what that game could have been.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By natetodamax
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " Hearing all this makes me sad for what that game could have been. "
    Especially considering the delay. I wonder how they spent that time.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @natetodamax said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    Especially considering the delay. I wonder how they spent that time. "
    Playing Mass Effect 2 and knowing they didn't have the money to match it.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ryanwho

So basically I should wait for a couple patches and/or for someone to make a module that makes the game either more of an RPG or more of a shooter.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jeust
    @ryanwho said:

" So basically I should wait for a couple patches and/or for someone to make a module that makes the game either more of an RPG or more of a shooter. "

I don't know if the couple of patches will solve it unfortunately. Still it's very much worth playing.  
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jeust
    @Ahmad_Metallic said: 

@Jeust said: 

" *Jeff's*     *Alpha Protocol*     *review*      was.... *accurate*  "

Oh no oh no oh no..... this is Lost Planet 2 all over again....   FLEE GODDAMNIT FLEE ABANDON SHIP!!!! "
    I was copying it yes, although i should have put "good" instead of "accurate", as to point that while i think the game is awesome, Jeff felt it dragged down by the technical side and gave it a low score. It's hard to score games like these. There are at the same time so good and so awful, that makes three stars at the same time a just score and unjust when compared to games that are just "average", that doesn't have any flair in them. An odd duck.      

PS - sorry for the double posting. 
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Marz

Jeff said in the podcast that he's playing through the game again, even though the game seems broken to him.   The game is good, people are just too scared of the technical issues.   If you are a person who likes plot twisting storyline with multiple endings then you will be pleasantly surprised by the game.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By trophyhunter

I've been playing for about 10 hours and fucking love it 
    oddly I don't think the combat is that bad

Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Dustpan
    @natetodamax said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    Especially considering the delay. I wonder how they spent that time. "
    Fallout: New Vegas.
    Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dustpan
    @trophyhunter said:
    " I've been playing for about 10 hours and fucking love it  oddly I don't think the combat is that bad "
    I feel the exact same way. It's a cult hit.
    JackG100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By JackG100

Finished the game, it was friggin great.

The combat is bad though, somewhat. But it's not a third person shooter, it's a stealth action-spygame, and the stealth works pretty well. I had no problemems getting around using my silenced pistol and sneaking, even without the stealth-tree. (even if that made it go a helluva lot faster).
    Didn't like the flashback presentation of the story though, but I guess they did that for dramatic effect. But all in all I'd say it deserves 4* and not 3 that Jeff gave it.

Gonna play it again some day for sure, but I felt that alot of the things I did in the game affected the storyline, and it gave me a real strong Deus Ex vibe thanks to that.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By trophyhunter
    @JustTheDoctor said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    " I've been playing for about 10 hours and fucking love it  oddly I don't think the combat is that bad "
    I feel the exact same way. It's a cult hit. "
    I get really interested in all the conversations especially when  get the "fuck off" dialog option 
    and the voice acting is very well done
    Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dustpan
    @trophyhunter said:
    " @JustTheDoctor said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    I feel the exact same way. It's a cult hit. "
    I get really interested in all the conversations especially when  get the "fuck off" dialog option  and the voice acting is very well done "
    I really like that the conversation options are timed. It keeps me on my toes.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Jimbo

Gotta say, I'm really enjoying it so far too.  Make no mistake, it's janky enough, and if you go in expecting / wanting a shooter you will be disappointed, because that isn't what it is or even what it's trying to be.  If you treat it as you would an RPG (which is what it says it is on the front of the box in big letters) then there's a lot to like.

I purposefully avoided Stealth, Martial Arts and Assault Rifles to see if that was really the only way to play it and enjoy it.  It isn't.  Not yet at least (I'm about 5 hours in at a guess).  That might be the only way to play it if your aim is to get through the mission as fast as possible.  You just have to think of your weapons as tools to solve the situation in front of you, rather than expecting them to behave like actual weapons - the gameplay is more abstract than that.  Kinda like Commandos in that sense - I mean, how stupid was it that the Sniper only took 4 bullets on a mission?  It didn't matter because it was only intended as an abstract representation.

I've been speccing Pistols, Shotguns and Sabotage, basically trying to stay quiet for as long as possible and only using the shotgun if the shit hits the fan.  I've only died a couple of times so far and averaging about 1 alarm per mission (even if you get spotted, you can still often 'go loud' and kill everybody in sight before they manage to trigger an alarm - again, I don't think any of the gameplay is intended to be realistic like that).

My biggest issue with it is that they've been over-zealous with the response time on the conversations.  I appreciate what they're trying to do, but it often manages to feel even more rushed than an IRL conversation - often you don't know what the available answers are even alluding to until the very last second of whatever the person is saying, and by then it's too late to choose the one you want anyway.  They tried to solve the Mass Effect problem and took it too far.  A few seconds to consider your response after the person has finished speaking wouldn't have hurt what they were trying to do here - that's basically what "ummm...." exists for in real life after all.  It's kinda undermining my enjoyment of the story side of it a bit, because it's quite hard to pay attention to what they're saying and try and decipher the available answers at the same time.

JackG100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JackG100

I think that's personal preference though, I had no problems with the timer, actually felt it was pretty spot on.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheHBK

It kinda sounds like the first Mass Effect.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Jimbo:  Agree with you about the timer sometimes being a little much.  It doesn't make sense in situations lacking dramatic tension.  For instance, when you're having a chat with your handler, a pause in the conversation while you consider your options would not affect dramatic tension... if anything, it increases it.  However, lets say its during one of the more tense moments (after boss fight execute/spare situations, how do you get out of this one moments), they should have a set action for if you let the timer run down.  One of the bosses makes a move and commits harikari to rob you, or a character gets upset at your incessant pausing and you get a -1 friendship rating.

Some of them especially don't make sense.  Especially when you regret your decision two seconds into the action, and have to spend the next few lines of dialogue watching Mike act in a way that you didn't necessarily want.
    sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#23  Edited By sarahsdad

Just to add my 2cents, I agree with the 3 star on this one. I'm having a lot of fun, but I also know that this is pretty much exactly the kind of game I Love, so it's easy to overlook some of the shortcomings. I really hope that they do well enough with this, or make enough bank from New Vegas that they can go back and make the game that this could have been.

Avatar image for fakeplastictree
    FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FakePlasticTree

I rented this game. And you know what...it's not as terrible as the reviews would have led me to believe. I'm playing it like an old school Splinter Cell/Metal Gear game and just trying to be entirely stealth and I'm actually kind of enjoying it. Sure, it all fall apart when you're forced to use your guns, but I'm enjoying the stealth elements, at least much more than I expected to. 

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By pweidman

TC: Please specifically list some examples of what you describe as 'poor gameplay'.  Are you putting skill points into any certain skill or many?  What platform u playing it on?  Thanks for any feedback.

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By snide

I'm about 8 hours in and absolutely love this game. It feels like a dead-on sequel to the original Deus Ex, just set in another universe. If you liked that game and others like System Shock, you more than likely will find a lot to like in AP. It's one of those 3-stars for everyone, but 5-stars if this is your kind of game game. Seems like it has a huge amount of re-playability as well.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By fwylo
    @snide: I recently bought Deux Ex during a Steam sale and have been wondering if I should play it.  Does it still hold up as a good game?  With number 3 coming out and looking pretty awesome is it worth it to catch up on the story?
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Jimbo
    @fwylo said:

" @snide: I recently bought Deux Ex during a Steam sale and have been wondering if I should play it.  Does it still hold up as a good game?  With number 3 coming out and looking pretty awesome is it worth it to catch up on the story? "

If I may?  Deus Ex 3 is a prequel to Deus Ex 1.  There might be the odd reference for fans, but I'm certain you won't need any knowledge of Deus Ex's storyline to enjoy 3 (and Deus Ex's story was very self-contained anyway).  You should absolutely still play Deus Ex, because it's a classic.  You don't need to bother with Invisible War though.

I don't think Alpha Protocol ever reaches the heights of Deus Ex (the level design isn't open enough, there are significant gameplay and story bugs and ultimately I found the story unfulfilling), but the comparisons are legitimate and it's the closest anybody has come to replicating the Deus Ex experience - and I include Invisible War in that.

"It's one of those 3-stars for everyone, but 5-stars if this is your kind of game game."

I think that's accurate, and it's a real shame because this game is going to flop on the back of those 3-star reviews regardless.  I really hope that positive word of mouth is enough to salvage this product - we can't just keep letting games like this fail.
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Getz

after watching the quick-look for this, seeing Jeff's review and the 2/10 Jim Sterling gave the game I was really upset that Alpha Protocol turned out to be not so great. However, despite any ambivalence I went out and plunked 60 dollars down at Gamestop where the nerd behind the counter told me "you get an achievement for having sex with all the women". Took it home, plopped it in and since have been having trouble putting the controller down. As soon as I get home from work this is seriously all I've been doing. I love this game, it has a shit-ton of problems but at the end of the day, I have a ton of fun playing it.

Scorch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Scorch
    @Getz said:
    " after watching the quick-look for this, seeing Jeff's review and the 2/10 Jim Sterling gave the game I was really upset that Alpha Protocol turned out to be not so great. However, despite any ambivalence I went out and plunked 60 dollars down at Gamestop where the nerd behind the counter told me "you get an achievement for having sex with all the women". Took it home, plopped it in and since have been having trouble putting the controller down. As soon as I get home from work this is seriously all I've been doing. I love this game, it has a shit-ton of problems but at the end of the day, I have a ton of fun playing it. "

Why would you even pay attention to a Jim Sterling review.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Getz
    @Scorch: I got nothing against Jim Sterling, he calls it like he sees it. My only beef with him is that he gave Deadly Premonition a 10/10 when that game played just as poorly as AP.
    Scorch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Scorch

Well his AP review was basically a big long troll and he never bothered giving the game a chance. I don't know, after playing a few hours of this, do you feel a 2/10 score is fair?

As for bugs - I've had less issues with this game in 40 hours than say, 3 hours of RDR, but RDR gets a free pass for all the game-breaking craziness for whatever reason. This game is such a milestone in getting the RP in RPG right, but the venom coming from the American press is really perplexing.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Getz
    @Scorch said:
    "

As for bugs - I've had less issues with this game in 40 hours than say, 3 hours of RDR, but RDR gets a free pass for all the game-breaking craziness for whatever reason. This game is such a milestone in getting the RP in RPG right, but the venom coming from the American press is really perplexing.

"

Agreed, on all accounts.  
    It seems like there's been this big push, on the games journalism side, for games with controls that you don't even have to think about. Games like Uncharted, God of War, Modern Warfare and Gears (and every single subsequent third person shooter), which you'll see on every game rag's top 10 or whatever, are also games that have really intuitive control and the game play implications of that control. Simultaneously, you should notice a chastising of games that do not have that same direct intuitive style. When RE5 came out, the press unanimously balked at the tank-movement characters when no one had a problem with it when RE4 came out. Mass Effect 1 got loads of criticism for the shooting not being on par with something like Gears, even though the developers had stats and levels to factor in to everything. The days of games like Alpha Protocol which rely on different assets than how "tight" the control is are numbered.
    Avatar image for strikerthelizard
    StrikerTheLizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By StrikerTheLizard
    @Jeust said:
    " Bugs, poor gameplay at spots, unimpressive graphics, slowdowns, screen tearing, loading screens (even when loading things like your item list) are frequent "
    Funny, never experienced any of these issues in the PC version.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jeust
    @StrikerTheLizard said:
    " @Jeust said:
    " Bugs, poor gameplay at spots, unimpressive graphics, slowdowns, screen tearing, loading screens (even when loading things like your item list) are frequent "
    Funny, never experienced any of these issues in the PC version. "
    Funny i have. :p
    Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By Barrock
    @Jeust said:
    " The game is awesome! it's a fun, engaging and addictive experience into the life of a fictitious and Hollywood vibe secret agent.  Good story, believable and interesting relationships between the characters (much better than ME and ME2), glamour, guns, high-tech toys - a spy movies' fan wet dream.   But then there is the technical mess that the game is. Bugs, poor gameplay at spots, unimpressive graphics, slowdowns, screen tearing, loading screens (even when loading things like your item list) are frequent, and while i don't give a particular importance to any of these factors (maybe a bit to the loading screens), a person has to be pretty uninterested in this aspects to fully enjoy the game, as they happen frequently, some more frequently than others. Still i haven't experience a game breaking bug.   In the end it's one of the best games of the year for what it does right. But also one of the worse high profile games for what it does wrong.  But i can't be indifferent. *wishing next Obsidian game won't have the issues that haunts this one*  "
    I have a feeling that Fallout will be better. Someone who worked for Obsidian has stated that Alpha Protocol needed to be canceled a long time ago and that's why it is the way it is.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jeust
    @Barrock said:
    " @Jeust said:
    " The game is awesome! it's a fun, engaging and addictive experience into the life of a fictitious and Hollywood vibe secret agent.  Good story, believable and interesting relationships between the characters (much better than ME and ME2), glamour, guns, high-tech toys - a spy movies' fan wet dream.   But then there is the technical mess that the game is. Bugs, poor gameplay at spots, unimpressive graphics, slowdowns, screen tearing, loading screens (even when loading things like your item list) are frequent, and while i don't give a particular importance to any of these factors (maybe a bit to the loading screens), a person has to be pretty uninterested in this aspects to fully enjoy the game, as they happen frequently, some more frequently than others. Still i haven't experience a game breaking bug.   In the end it's one of the best games of the year for what it does right. But also one of the worse high profile games for what it does wrong.  But i can't be indifferent. *wishing next Obsidian game won't have the issues that haunts this one*  "
    I have a feeling that Fallout will be better. Someone who worked for Obsidian has stated that Alpha Protocol needed to be canceled a long time ago and that's why it is the way it is. "
    Still it is a great game! I don't think it should have been cancelled, they just missteped a bit in technical issues.  
    yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By yukoasho

This is sort of the story of Obsidian, isn't it?  Great games that are also extremely janky.  The deja vu is slapping me in the face.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#39  Edited By gla55jAw

I just beat it and loved it. I hate stealth games, but I didn't have a problem playing this like one. Going invisible and stabbing guys didn't really bother me because it just was a means to an end of getting to the next dialog scene, which is the best part of the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.