No Machines for Pigs Until 2013

Posted by patrickklepek (4588 posts) -

I’m unsure if this is good news or bad news, but Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs has been delayed into early 2013. Creative director Dan Pinchbeck of thechineseroom broke the news in an interview with GameZone.

“The quality of the game is the absolute first, last, and always with this development, and we felt it could do with a few more months' work to make sure that's really going to happen,” he said.

thechineseroom was also responsible for the spooky, beautiful Dear Esther from earlier this year.

Pinchbeck confirmed the delay to me in an email this morning, and teased the next couple of months.

“The fat just ain't dripping off the bones yet,” he told me. “But we'll definitely have more to show in the not too distant future.”

Clearly, Pinchbeck pushed back A Machine for Pigs because I haven’t written about Amnesia yet. (Soon.)

It’s part of my job to know about games, even when I’d like to join the chorus of people in a media blackout. A Machine For Pigs is a game that falls into that camp for me, and while I’m not actively avoiding it, I’m also not interested in knowing every detail prior to its release. It’s why the reason A Machine For Pigs exists surprised me.

Frictional are working on a new game but wanted to get another Amnesia out and didn't have time to do it, so they were looking for a studio to take it on,” said Pinchbeck. “We know each other anyway, mutual fans, and we just got talking. It cemented over a few beers at GDCE last year, and we got cracking. Frictional are executive producers for the project, and we're making the game. It's a lot of fun.”

Yes, fun. That describes Amnesia. Fun.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (4588 posts) -

I’m unsure if this is good news or bad news, but Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs has been delayed into early 2013. Creative director Dan Pinchbeck of thechineseroom broke the news in an interview with GameZone.

“The quality of the game is the absolute first, last, and always with this development, and we felt it could do with a few more months' work to make sure that's really going to happen,” he said.

thechineseroom was also responsible for the spooky, beautiful Dear Esther from earlier this year.

Pinchbeck confirmed the delay to me in an email this morning, and teased the next couple of months.

“The fat just ain't dripping off the bones yet,” he told me. “But we'll definitely have more to show in the not too distant future.”

Clearly, Pinchbeck pushed back A Machine for Pigs because I haven’t written about Amnesia yet. (Soon.)

It’s part of my job to know about games, even when I’d like to join the chorus of people in a media blackout. A Machine For Pigs is a game that falls into that camp for me, and while I’m not actively avoiding it, I’m also not interested in knowing every detail prior to its release. It’s why the reason A Machine For Pigs exists surprised me.

Frictional are working on a new game but wanted to get another Amnesia out and didn't have time to do it, so they were looking for a studio to take it on,” said Pinchbeck. “We know each other anyway, mutual fans, and we just got talking. It cemented over a few beers at GDCE last year, and we got cracking. Frictional are executive producers for the project, and we're making the game. It's a lot of fun.”

Yes, fun. That describes Amnesia. Fun.

Staff
#2 Posted by vonFlampanker (327 posts) -

Good, will never finish the first at this rate.

#3 Posted by Evan_Buchholz (122 posts) -

Dammit I was really hoping for this to be out this year. But at least they're spending their time on it.

#4 Posted by Nightriff (5080 posts) -

Is the first one worth playing? Is it that good or you have to be a super fan of the horror genre to enjoy it?

#5 Posted by BigSteve1983 (71 posts) -

I didn't even know they was doing a follow up to Amnesia. However I guess if they are delaying it then it will end up being a thrill trip. Which reminds me I need to get back and play the first one.

#6 Posted by vonFlampanker (327 posts) -

@Nightriff: I don't know if "enjoy" is the right word ... it is a hell of an experience for sure.

#7 Posted by megalowho (969 posts) -

but I want to put the pig in the machine naoooowww

#8 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3299 posts) -

Patrick's going to sabotage this game from the inside so that he can't make himself play it, isn't he?

#9 Posted by ShaggE (6452 posts) -

On one hand: Fuck. I'm desperate to recapture the feeling of discovering the first game. On the other: I haven't even touched the custom content for the first. I'm sure there's a few that come close to matching the main game, right?

#10 Posted by vorpalparasite (290 posts) -

Sweet, I still need to get around to finishing the first.

#11 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

I think this game might have the best video game name ever.

#12 Edited by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

Honestly, kind of sad about this. I really need some games other than Borderlands and Assassin's Creed to be excited for at the end of this year.

#13 Posted by me3639 (1756 posts) -

Damn Potatoes!

#14 Posted by Blister (20 posts) -

I wonder how they'll handle monster AI, It's hard to replay Amnesia and Penumbra knowing that if you don't look at an enemy it can't see you.

#15 Edited by Solh0und (1773 posts) -

2013: The year where every other damn game is released until new consoles rear their heads.

#16 Posted by Sporkbane (185 posts) -

I can't even play the first without shitting myself. I'll still watch day9 play it though!

#17 Edited by Humanity (9227 posts) -

Amnesia is not THAT scary we need to just move on already. Thief Deadly Shadows, now THAT game had some scary levels.

#18 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@me3639 said:

Damn Potatoes!

That's the real reason it was delayed. The metagame for the current Steam Sale has already been cemented.

#19 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Aw man, what a bummer :(

#20 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4604 posts) -

oink

#21 Posted by BeachThunder (11929 posts) -

;_; another game I'm interested delayed until 2013...

#22 Posted by iAmJohn (6120 posts) -

Can't read the title of this game without hearing this in my head.

#23 Posted by mbr2 (566 posts) -

Hamnesia. That is all.

#24 Posted by ConfusedOwl (940 posts) -

Well this will give me some time to finally play the first one. I've never been a huge fan of horror games but Amnesia has always intrigued me. So I'll be sure to pick it up and play it before the new one is released.

#25 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1439 posts) -

Hey, as long as they deliver the spooks, I can wait.

#26 Posted by enemymouse (332 posts) -

Based on the headline, I was expecting this to be a parody trailer revealing a funny little piggy adventure.

Now I will be having nightmares involving Bricktop and Hannibal Lector.

#27 Posted by thebigJ_A (1002 posts) -

nooo!

#28 Edited by MeatSim (10853 posts) -

The pigs really need that machine though.

#29 Posted by captain_max707 (490 posts) -

Old news, I'm afraid. 

#30 Posted by householddutch (44 posts) -

I read this and was all "Hmm, I really should pour a few drinks and play the first one over the weekend". Then I watched the trailer and was all "Fuuuck no".

I would love to see the staff play through the first game during a kind of happy hour sort of thing.

#31 Posted by Mathey (422 posts) -

"The fat just ain't dripping off the bones yet"

*shudder*

#32 Posted by RobertOrri (1130 posts) -

Why is there a machine for pigs? Is it only for them? Is it good or bad? Does it turn you into a pig?

So many questions...

#33 Posted by Zamir (507 posts) -
#34 Posted by ripelivejam (3953 posts) -

CHIIIIIVEEEESSSSSSS

#35 Edited by Brad3000 (85 posts) -

I have tried to play Amnesia three different times and found it dreadfully boring. I love horror games and since it's release I have heard over and over how terrifying it is, but I just could not find anything about it even a little bit engaging. It was mostly just tedious and the graphics are poor at best. I am left to wonder; when does it get scary? I played it for about two hours the last time I tried it. Have I not gotten far enough in? Does the story become involving? I really don't give a shit about my protagonist at this point and the audio logs aren't grabbing me at all. I do not want to hate this game. I want it to be good. If someone says I should keep going, I'll keep going. I'm just not getting what is supposed to be good about it so far. And if I haven't liked anything about a game after two hours I start to wonder if I ever will.

#36 Posted by Bunny_Fire (302 posts) -

i really hope this will be based in the bay of pigs

#37 Posted by the_great_skenardo (110 posts) -

well goddamn it, what am I supposed to do with all these pigs in the meantime?!

#38 Posted by MrBubbles (778 posts) -

i can't wait i played a bunch of the first and loved it i just never finished it because i got distracted by other games and forgot about it :/.

#39 Posted by kre8havoc (173 posts) -

@Nightriff: I looooooooooooooooved it. It's so different from every other game I have played.

#40 Posted by CornBREDX (5276 posts) -

I'm still, patiently, waiting for anything either of these two puts out. Both have really great ideas and I will probably always be interested in what they do. 

It's also really great Frictional is in a position, now, where they can have a second development team work on this while they work on something else. I don't know if that's better then where they were at when Amnesia first came out, but it sure does sound like it. I know Amnesia did well, but this sounds like it did them great.  

I am continuing to be so glad for them. =)

#41 Posted by krabboss (298 posts) -

@Brad3000 said:

I have tried to play Amnesia three different times and found it dreadfully boring. I love horror games and since it's release I have heard over and over how terrifying it is, but I just could not find anything about it even a little bit engaging. It was mostly just tedious and the graphics are poor at best. I am left to wonder; when does it get scary? I played it for about two hours the last time I tried it. Have I not gotten far enough in? Does the story become involving? I really don't give a shit about my protagonist at this point and the audio logs aren't grabbing me at all. I do not want to hate this game. I want it to be good. If someone says I should keep going, I'll keep going. I'm just not getting what is supposed to be good about it so far. And if I haven't liked anything about a game after two hours I start to wonder if I ever will.

You're not the first person I've met who feels this way about the game. I've never played it and I don't care to, but yeah.

#42 Posted by Owlright (117 posts) -

I didn't find Amnesia to be that scary honestly, mostly I just thought the constant balance of hiding in the darkness versus losing your sanity to be well implemented.

But jesus the subtitle of this game unsettles the hell out of me

#43 Posted by Random45 (1201 posts) -

@Owlright:

I don't find it that scary anymore, especially since I know how the game mechanics work inside and out, but when I first played it, it scared the ever loving crap out of me. The only problem now is that custom map makers aren't doing anything new, so a lot of the scares in custom maps are recycled from the campaign. There are only 2 custom maps from the top of my head that I can recommend that at least got me a little frightened, but nothing more really.

#44 Posted by geirr (2569 posts) -

@Brad3000 said:

If you haven't gotten it yet, then you likely won't. I met the game with some fascination when it was released but was a tad bored until a certain water sequence. From there on I felt refreshed and had a fine experience.

#45 Posted by ptys (1955 posts) -

Patrick's obsession with this game is entertainment enough.

#46 Posted by SolidStateUK (1 posts) -

I really hope that they dont go too far on this one and make sure it feels just like a more refined version of the original. I hate it when i see bigger companies destroy a game by trying to make it something its not. The atmospheric quality of the original is what made it great and I hope that they dont throw that away for constantly seeing your enemies, rather than being scared because you dont know whats there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.