Wow (im Sterling openly urges people to not purchase Amy)

  • 107 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Posted by Mesoian (1572 posts) -

Now, I know nothing about this game, but these are some pretty lofty claims, Sterling comparing any money gained from this title as theft from the customer. That's quite a public strike against it, even with Sterling's somewhat less-than-flowered history

http://www.destructoid.com/psa-do-not-buy-amy-today-219488.phtml

#2 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -

I thought we all agreed he was a troll and we all moved on? no? okay...

#3 Posted by Mesoian (1572 posts) -

@Jeffsekai said:

I thought we all agreed he was a troll and we all moved on? no? okay...

Perhaps, has anyone played this game yet that can confirm or deny the damning things he had to say?

#4 Posted by mordukai (7135 posts) -

@Jeffsekai said:

I thought we all agreed he was a troll and we all moved on? no? okay...

Was?!

#5 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
What? Amy is a bad game? I'm sooo shocked
#6 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

INFLUENCE ME
 
I CANNOT THINK FOR MYSELF

#7 Posted by N7 (3573 posts) -

GUYS. DO NOT BUY *INSERT GAME NAME*. I CAN'T EXPLAIN WHY, BUT IT'S REALLY BAD. TAKE MY WORD FOR IT. XTHANXBAI
 
WHO, and I'll repeat, WHO fucking pays this guy? You're a journalist. Not a fucking prophet. Not a fucking foreign diplomatic community leader. Put out the review or shut the fuck up.
 
I used to like Jim. He was almost like a father figure; He gave me something to believe in, he gave me goals to achieve... But now... Now I see him for what he is.

#8 Edited by Packie (255 posts) -
#9 Posted by Jeust (10480 posts) -

@Mordukai said:

@Jeffsekai said:

I thought we all agreed he was a troll and we all moved on? no? okay...

Was?!

Is. Paraphrasing

plaguechild
Jim Sterling is the last opinion you should trust. His taste is defined by hubris derived from the undeserved attention you all give him. I can't speak as to if Amy is bad or not but his post is pointless (PSA? hardly.) because you're better off downloading the trial and deciding for yourself rather than listen to him. He gets off on the attention he gets from spreading negativity. He's not some bad-boy outlaw game journo' jus' tellin it like it is, he's a professional troll with a cheering section. Just wanted to share that thought.
#10 Posted by Doctorchimp (4069 posts) -

If you saw that trailer for this game, heard about that weird PSN thing where they were charging more, and still needed Jim to tell you not to buy this game...

You deserve to have money stolen.

#11 Posted by Winternet (8006 posts) -

For a second I thought you were saying " I'm Sterling ".

*ICBM missile disengaged*

#12 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
INFLUENCE ME  I CANNOT THINK FOR MYSELF
Yes ma'am!
#13 Posted by Brodehouse (9593 posts) -

Sounds like Amy is kind of bad. That's a bummer, it would have been nice if it was good. I guess I won't buy it.

^THIS IS HOW I PREFER TO BE NEGATIVE ABOUT THINGS. (it's also how I feel. it is a bummer Amy isn't good)

But Jim Sterling is ... Jim Sterling is everything I dislike about the video game media, and video game 'enthusiasts'. I try to stay incredibly positive about everything, and the stuff I don't like, I ignore as best I can. But Jim Sterling is just... he exists to make people angry. That's probably the lowest thing I can think of. Before he writes, he must think "how can I phrase this to make as many people as angry as possible?" He's not doing it to inform, or to be helpful to anyone... he's doing it to frustrate people. Even thinking about Jim Sterling and his cult of personality is bumming me out.

#14 Posted by animathias (1170 posts) -

Sounds like a terrible game. Hope we get a Quick Look.

#16 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@animathias said:

Sounds like a terrible game. Hope we get a Quick Look.

damn straight
#17 Edited by stubbleman (306 posts) -

@N7: Some of you guys are acting fucking silly. Jim gets the game ahead of time, plays it for long enough to realize that it's complete trash, doesn't have the game finished yet and thus can't publish a review, and thinks to himself 'Gee self, it sure would be a bad deal if anybody were to waste the ten dollars on this game tomorrow on the mere hope that it will be good when I know from having played it already it isn't.' and then publishes an article warning people away from spending the money on it. I don't see a problem here. He even suggests downloading the trial so you can see for yourself. But obviously this wasn't just a guy trying to save some people some money. He's just acting out for attention. That explains it for sure. And oh look. Eurogamer corroborates his points, but I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

#18 Posted by kidman (465 posts) -

Jim Sterling is fine, I like that there's at least one game reviewer making statements like that cause.. why not?

#19 Edited by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@somnambulist said:

@N7: Some of you guys are acting fucking stupid. Jim gets the game ahead of time, plays it for long enough to realize that it's complete trash, doesn't have the game finished yet and thus can't publish a review, and thinks to himself 'Gee self, it sure would be a bad deal if anybody were to waste the ten dollars on this game tomorrow on the mere hope that it will be good when I know from having played it already it isn't.' and then publishes an article warning people away from spending the money on it. I don't see a problem here. He even suggests downloading the trial so you can see for yourself. But obviously this wasn't just a guy trying to save some people some money. He's just acting out for attention. That explains it for sure. And oh look. Eurogamer corroborates his points, but I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

I don't think the problem is that he's saying it's bad, i think the problem is *HOW* he says it's bad. I haven't read the review yet, i will do now, and then i'll edit to see if you're right. 
 
EDIT: Yep, Sterling was being Sterling. *sigh*
#20 Posted by august (3827 posts) -

Jim Sterling is fine. A little hyperbolic.

#21 Edited by countinhallways (632 posts) -

A reviewer giving a recommendation as to whether a game is worth your money or not? Disgraceful!

And it wasn't even in the guise of a review?!?! Sickening!

At least we know that were GB to, say, suggest during a quick look that people should not buy the game in question due to it being utter gack, the response from the community would be similarly vitriolic.

#22 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@AhmadMetallic said:
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
INFLUENCE ME  I CANNOT THINK FOR MYSELF
Yes ma'am!
Be gentle.
#23 Posted by ronin00 (28 posts) -

You have to take what Jim Sterling says with a grain a salt. He may blow some things out of proportion, but there is always a grain a truth behind everything he says. I like Jim because he seems to review on a true 1-10 scale. Not a 5-10 where even the worst games still manage to get a 5. So if he says watch out for this game it is bad, it probably is not the greatest game and it has flaws.

#24 Posted by august (3827 posts) -

@countinhallways said:

A reviewer giving a recommendation as to whether a game is worth your money or not? Disgraceful!

And it wasn't even in the guise of a review?!?! Sickening!

At least we know that were GB to, say, suggest during a quick look that people should not buy the game in question due to it being utter gack, the response from the community would be similarly vitriolic.

"If you are looking for a good shooter, if you are looking for a funny shooter, if you are looking for a shooter... do not buy Duke Nukem Forever."

#25 Posted by Bawlsz (84 posts) -

Eurogamer gave it a 2/10

Online
#26 Edited by Mesoian (1572 posts) -

@august said:

Jim Sterling is fine. A little hyperbolic.

VERY hyperbolic, and he plays to the crowds. He knows he's a heel in the eyes of the gaming community.

But that said, the only reason why I posted this at all is because it's the first time I've ever seen a games journalist get out in front of a game before a review, before a PREVIEW, before any substantial press for a game is revealed and says, "DO NOT BUY THIS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES". I don't know if that's irresponsible or foolhardy or what. Just made me take a step back and try to analyze what he was actually doing. Sterling has a history of being sensational in the past about things that most people do not agree with but I've never seen anything this damning towards a game before any evidence could be presented, by him or anyone else.

Just thought it worthy of discussion, it's certainly a shrwed tactic.

#27 Posted by wewantsthering (1552 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong:

That's not the point...the point is to not waste money buying terrible games. If you don't read a couple reviews before you buy a game, you don't know how make informed decisions...

#28 Posted by JeanLuc (3572 posts) -

I get that he thinks its a bad game and wants to warn people away from it, but he should wait to do that in a review. That way we get the reasons why its bad.

Online
#29 Posted by august (3827 posts) -

@Mesoian said:

@august said:

Jim Sterling is fine. A little hyperbolic.

VERY hyperbolic, and he plays to the crowds. He knows he's a heel in the eyes of the gaming community.

But that said, the only reason why I posted this at all is because it's the first time I've ever seen a games journalist get out in front of a game before a review, before a PREVIEW, before any substantial press for a game is revealed and says, "DO NOT BUY THIS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES". I don't know if that's irresponsible or foolhardy or what. Just made me take a step back and try to analyze what he was actually doing. Sterling has a history of being sensational in the past about things that most people do not agree with but I've never seen anything this damning towards a game before any evidence could be presented, by him or anyone else.

Just thought it worthy of discussion, it's certainly a shred tactic.

He gives reasons for what he's saying and the Eurogamer review is right there. So... none of what you're saying makes sense.

#30 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -

Oh this is just a downright childish tantrum.
 
Like-- I don't care how bad the game is, you don't have to be a complete baby about it.

#31 Posted by CosmicQueso (569 posts) -

Oh look, this thread again.

#32 Posted by Mesoian (1572 posts) -

@august said:

@Mesoian said:

@august said:

Jim Sterling is fine. A little hyperbolic.

VERY hyperbolic, and he plays to the crowds. He knows he's a heel in the eyes of the gaming community.

But that said, the only reason why I posted this at all is because it's the first time I've ever seen a games journalist get out in front of a game before a review, before a PREVIEW, before any substantial press for a game is revealed and says, "DO NOT BUY THIS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES". I don't know if that's irresponsible or foolhardy or what. Just made me take a step back and try to analyze what he was actually doing. Sterling has a history of being sensational in the past about things that most people do not agree with but I've never seen anything this damning towards a game before any evidence could be presented, by him or anyone else.

Just thought it worthy of discussion, it's certainly a shred tactic.

He gives reasons for what he's saying and the Eurogamer review is right there. So... none of what you're saying makes sense

Perhaps your right. I don't really have a strong position about it either way because, at the end of the day, if the game really is that terrible, then it's no harm no foul. It just seemed odd to me. Though quite a few things have surprised and shocked me today, so perhaps i'm simply in a fragile state.

#33 Posted by Ramone (2959 posts) -

@august said:

Jim Sterling is fine. A little hyperbolic.

More like Hyperbollocks. Get it?

#34 Posted by Brodehouse (9593 posts) -

@august: It's not that he has an opinion, it's the way he chooses to reveal it that makes people dislike him. The Eurogamer review is negative but everyone except Sterling (including our own Giant Bombers) attempt to remain professional. If I made a game, I wouldn't want Jim Sterling to write about it even if he was ultimately positive. Because I feel he's bad at his job. My review of Jim Sterling is a 2/10.

#35 Posted by S0ndor (2715 posts) -

A quick google search reveals that others who have played the game agree that it is bad. You can act all high and mighty and put on your independent thinker cap, or you can accept that this product is probably a waste of your time.

#36 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

@somnambulist said:

@N7: Some of you guys are acting fucking stupid. Jim gets the game ahead of time, plays it for long enough to realize that it's complete trash, doesn't have the game finished yet and thus can't publish a review, and thinks to himself 'Gee self, it sure would be a bad deal if anybody were to waste the ten dollars on this game tomorrow on the mere hope that it will be good when I know from having played it already it isn't.' and then publishes an article warning people away from spending the money on it. I don't see a problem here. He even suggests downloading the trial so you can see for yourself. But obviously this wasn't just a guy trying to save some people some money. He's just acting out for attention. That explains it for sure. And oh look. Eurogamer corroborates his points, but I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

Both Jim Sterling and Eurogamer are affiliated with the Illuminati, so it's no coincidence.

#37 Posted by JasonR86 (9609 posts) -

I just read his PSA on the game and it sounds weird. The issue I have with it is that I don't know who the article is for. There have been bad games released before. Some much more expensive then Amy's $10 price point. Why didn't he 'warn' us about those games? It sounds like his attempt at getting attention.

The shitty part is that it's working because, you know, this thread.

#38 Posted by EToaster (128 posts) -

Still curious about the game. I've liked poorly reviewed games with interesting concepts before. I'll probably try the demo when it comes out on PSN. (Is the demo out on PSN already?)

#39 Posted by Bocam (3672 posts) -

He expands on why he thinks you shouldn't buy AMY on the podcast.

#40 Posted by TruthTellah (8549 posts) -

@Mesoian said:

@august said:

@Mesoian said:

@august said:

Jim Sterling is fine. A little hyperbolic.

VERY hyperbolic, and he plays to the crowds. He knows he's a heel in the eyes of the gaming community.

But that said, the only reason why I posted this at all is because it's the first time I've ever seen a games journalist get out in front of a game before a review, before a PREVIEW, before any substantial press for a game is revealed and says, "DO NOT BUY THIS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES". I don't know if that's irresponsible or foolhardy or what. Just made me take a step back and try to analyze what he was actually doing. Sterling has a history of being sensational in the past about things that most people do not agree with but I've never seen anything this damning towards a game before any evidence could be presented, by him or anyone else.

Just thought it worthy of discussion, it's certainly a shred tactic.

He gives reasons for what he's saying and the Eurogamer review is right there. So... none of what you're saying makes sense

Perhaps your right. I don't really have a strong position about it either way because, at the end of the day, if the game really is that terrible, then it's no harm no foul. It just seemed odd to me. Though quite a few things have surprised and shocked me today, so perhaps i'm simply in a fragile state.

Not to mention, Sterling does indicate that an Amy review from him is coming; he is just struggling through a mess of a game that he doesn't want to write a full review for until he's done. Yet, as with many games, a person can often tell halfway through whether something may be the worst thing ever. He'll be releasing his review that details his objections, but for the moment, he's just warning people away from it. That's certainly his opinion, and he even encourages people to check out the Trial Version instead to make up their own mind. To me, while I'm not a big fan of Sterling, I think he's perfectly fine in expressing a warning about this title, recommending trying the Trial Version first, and then releasing his full review once it's all done.

Even a cursory Google search can show that this game is apparently utter rubbish, and not in a "Some people may like this crappy game" rubbish. Just broken rubbish. And that definitely deserves to be warned about.

#41 Posted by CaptainCody (1505 posts) -

@august said:

Jim Sterling is fine. A little hyperbolic.

If he wasn't who he was then this game wouldn't be getting the negative attention it deserves. Because of his pre-review post, then this thread wouldn't exist, which means less people would know how bad this game is. Their is a difference between people thinking for themselves with games and people deserving to be slammed for trying to release unfinished shit. Jim is okay in my book.

#42 Posted by Getz (2989 posts) -

I'm all for hating Jim Sterling, but getting on his case for warning people about a possibly bad game isn't the way to go. At the very least take as a sign that you should read the reviews before blindly shelling out the 10 dollars.

#43 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@wewantsthering said:

@TaliciaDragonsong:

That's not the point...the point is to not waste money buying terrible games. If you don't read a couple reviews before you buy a game, you don't know how make informed decisions...

Sure, I'm not against that.
I'm more against topics going: YO SOME GUY SAID SOMETHING BAD.
#44 Posted by wewantsthering (1552 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@wewantsthering said:

@TaliciaDragonsong:

That's not the point...the point is to not waste money buying terrible games. If you don't read a couple reviews before you buy a game, you don't know how make informed decisions...

Sure, I'm not against that. I'm more against topics going: YO SOME GUY SAID SOMETHING BAD.

Haha. Fair enough.

#45 Posted by the_red_mage (146 posts) -

Oh come on do you really need somebody (especially this bloated prick) to tell you if you should or should not buy a certain game ... also f*** Jim Sterling

#46 Posted by august (3827 posts) -

@the_red_mage said:

Oh come on do you really need somebody (especially this bloated prick) to tell you if you should or should not buy a certain game ... also f*** Jim Sterling

somebody's angry

#47 Posted by buzz_clik (6921 posts) -
Moderator
#48 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1088 posts) -

Jim Sterling is turning into the Armond White of game critics. Yes, the man is great with the English language, and can put forth a good argument now and then, but it batshit insane many times over.

#49 Posted by Panpipe (472 posts) -

There is something magic about Jim. He attracts debate/complaints constantly.

I don't think he's trolling though, I like the guy. That's all he is though - just a guy. He's not a prophet, he never said he was a prophet. He even openly mocks the idea on his show where he dresses up as a dictator and stands on a pedestal. He ends every show with, "Thank God for me!"

If anything, a lot of complaints against him show the immaturity of current gaming culture. "Waaaaah! He's not like a normal, faceless, personality-free reviewer!" Great. Isn't that what we come to Giant Bomb for? Jeff's crazy love of Trackmania. Ryan buying stupid old laser-discs. Brad dying. etc.

Jim Sterling is good at hating things (with whales full of hyperbole) and loving Dynasty Warriors games.

#50 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.