Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Amy

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 11, 2012

Amy is a survival horror game where the goal is to survive alongside the eponymous little girl Amy.

Wow (im Sterling openly urges people to not purchase Amy)

• 107 results
    Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

He's a funny guy that likes to have a bit of fun with his reviews, the 10 he gave DP was a amazing review

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

The games getting 2/10 from everywhere, if it was a movie it would be 0 stars.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#53  Edited By Claude

Jim Sterling is a god and we should all kiss his ass.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#54  Edited By Yummylee
    beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#55  Edited By beard_of_zeus
    @Abyssfull said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

IGN gave it a 2.0

And here is its video review

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/01/11/amy-video-review

Ha, oh IGN, only just after you proclaimed ''Amy is Ico with zombies and it's totally brilliant'' during the trailer. Simply magical.

I gotta say, that's pretty wonderful. I wonder where the original quote is from? Probably some preview they did of the game, I'm guessing; those seem to be positive about 95% of the time. I can see there being some difference of opinion if the quote and the review were from different people, but that's quite a hard swing there...
    Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#56  Edited By Commisar123

So watching my buddy play this game it is truly awful. That being said, FUCKING BUY IT. It is hilarious, in a Deadly Premonition style of way but even worse, and the most fun I've had with a game in a while.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By NTM

Maybe it's only the PS3 version? Since that's all the reviews of the game I've seen, but my brother had just bought it on 360 today and he's playing it right now. There's problems, sure, and I'm sure it's probably not great, but it's not close to as bad as all the critics have been saying. As far as I've seen. It could be terrible though. To tell you the truth though?... I probably won't play it... OK, maybe it is that bad. But my brother seems to enjoy it a bit, so that's good enough for me I guess.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By SlashDance

@the_red_mage said:

Oh come on do you really need somebody (especially this bloated prick) to tell you if you should or should not buy a certain game ...

Well... yes. That's why reviewers exist.

Why are people always freaking out over Sterling's opinions ?

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By TentPole

But he is right.

Lnin0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By Lnin0

"My Reviewer Could Kick Your Reviewer's Ass" OR "How I Learned to Try Demos and Form My Own Opinions"

Gamersyde accepted it had some lame issues and played by very old school rules but all in all thought it was an ok game.

AMY may not manage to be as successful as the games it takes its inspiration from, but it is nonetheless a rather good title, provided you accept to play by its old school rules. Not everything is perfect though, far from it, as we could have done without the few technical issues or we could have used more memorable sequences or a stronger character cast like in the Silent Hill series. So yes, the game has some flaws, flaws you must accept before deciding to jump in, but these flaws will clearly not prevent you from enjoying it in the end. AMY is still young, which certainly explains why there is room for improvement, but we do hope we will get a sequel in the near future. A sequel we also hope will put even more emphasis on story as we are dying to know what is going on in Silver City. At the end of the day, for such a cheap price (800 points /10€/$9.99), AMY is definitely worth a try. Just make sure you are ready to be a bit ill-treated by it.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Jesus Christ, you nerds and your nerd hatred of Jim Sterling. Find better things to do. Seriously.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By JasonR86

@PrivateIronTFU said:

Jesus Christ, you nerds and your nerd hatred of Jim Sterling. Find better things to do. Seriously.

Yeah!

AlecOfTheWest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By AlecOfTheWest

People talk a lot of shit on Jim Sterling just because he's the only reviewer who doesn't follow the 7-10 scale set for AAA games. Besides, I haven't heard too many positive things about this game anyways.

MaGnUmKiLLa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By MaGnUmKiLLa

At least he's not as bad as Ashcraft.

Klaimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Klaimore

Well who gives a shit? That's why we have Quicklooks dammit!

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#66  Edited By Masha2932
    Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh my God!  Someone has opinions I dont agree with?!   The humanity!!!!

TonicBH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#68  Edited By TonicBH

@august said:

Jim Sterling is fine. A little hyperbolic.

This. Don't understand the hate, I think it's just people not getting how he works.

the_red_mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By the_red_mage

@SlashDance: Okay Jim Sterling is not a reviewer (at least not in my opinion). The guys on this site are reviewers. Jim Sterling is basically a troll that tricked the world into believing that he has some kind off moral and intelectual superiority and that they should worship his fat Jabba the Hut ass! If you want to know why I dislike him so much go watch an episode of "The Jimquisition" on The Escapist Magazine.

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#70  Edited By senorfuzzeh

@N7: At first I thought you were going to make an arrow to the knee joke, but you never cease to amaze me...

(By the way this time I found you on accident... No stalking involved...)

.... (Or was there?)

ftomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By ftomato

He didn't say don't buy Amy, he said don't buy Amy today. His review is coming tomorrow, and apparently he thinks that his audience shouldn't buy the game blind without reading his review. Given how bad this game appears to be, sounds totally fine.

Not everything Jim Sterling does is the work of the devil. Relax.

soundlug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By soundlug

@TonicBH: I visited Destructoid a lot sometime ago, and I need to tell you: just little hyperbolic is not exactly my description of him. He deserves the hate, but in this case, you know whate they say: "even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day."

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By GoofyGoober

that sucks cause it seemed kinda interesting. I saw the IGN review for it earlier.

TonicBH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By TonicBH

@soundlug said:

@TonicBH: I visited Destructoid a lot sometime ago, and I need to tell you: just little hyperbolic is not exactly my description of him. He deserves the hate, but in this case, you know whate they say: "even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day."

I disagree. Sterling is an abrasive man and I think that's why he has a bigger group of haters more than any IGN editor does. He's relatively blunt in his opinions and people aren't used to "blunt" opinions. Tom Chick gives similar, abrasive opinions that clash with many; yet he doesn't get anywhere close to the vitriol Sterling gets. This is coming from one who was in the Sterling hate camp, now I see a man that's occasionally annoying and somehow gets people's panties in a twist over absolutely nothing.

And if you're going to start listing games that he scored "lower" or "higher" than everybody else (Deadly Premonition, for example) as your reasoning why he sucks, then I'm out of this conversation because that arguing about review scores is for retarded, whiny fanboys.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has nothing to do with how he scores games, has everything to do with his writing. It is not remotely professional, and it is not useful to consumers. That's his only responsibility, and he's bad at it. Because he'd rather make Holocaust jokes in a review and jab people's emotions than try to be helpful for anyone. He's not a humorist, that's not his job. It's outrageous to listen to him criticize the job someone else is doing when he can't even be bothered to do his.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Burglarize Jeff has crazy love for Trackmania, but he also reviewed it like a professional would. He didn't write with the only intent to stir up shit in the comments. He'd get more page views if he did, but he didn't because he tries to take his job seriously when it matters.
    largo6661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By largo6661

Come on people, did any one think this game looked good, remember the combat trailer. uhhhhhhh

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@TonicBH said:

@soundlug said:

I disagree. Sterling is an abrasive man and I think that's why he has a bigger group of haters more than any IGN editor does. He's relatively blunt in his opinions and people aren't used to "blunt" opinions. Tom Chick gives similar, abrasive opinions that clash with many; yet he doesn't get anywhere close to the vitriol Sterling gets. This is coming from one who was in the Sterling hate camp, now I see a man that's occasionally annoying and somehow gets people's panties in a twist over absolutely nothing.

And if you're going to start listing games that he scored "lower" or "higher" than everybody else (Deadly Premonition, for example) as your reasoning why he sucks, then I'm out of this conversation because that arguing about review scores is for retarded, whiny fanboys.

Thiiiiiiiiis, except I've always liked him to be honest. If people actually, I mean fucking actually, sat down and listened to him, I think they would have to rethink the hate. Although his opinions are very blunt and his sense of humor is often needlessly crude, I say if there was some ultimate, video game journalist round table/debate, people would simply be shocked about how well he holds up against any other journalist - including the guys here at Giant Bomb.

Between actually reading his reviews and not just looking at the score, watching the Jimquisition, and listening to Podtoid when they actually decide to talk about games, I think it would be hard to continue to argue that he still deserves all the hate he gets. If you must hate him, like I said, hate him for his sense of humor because, when it comes to work, he knows what the fuck he's doing.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sterling have always been doing some trolling, but this time he probably right, everybody is pretty much saying that Amy is a bad bad game.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#80  Edited By sjschmidt93

Don't listen to Jim Sterling.

...or Destructoid.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Ace829

@BabyChooChoo said:

@TonicBH said:

@soundlug said:

Thiiiiiiiiis, except I've always liked him to be honest. If people actually, I mean fucking actually, sat down and listened to him, I think they would have to rethink the hate. Although his opinions are very blunt and his sense of humor is often needlessly crude, I say if there was some ultimate, video game journalist round table/debate, people would simply be shocked about how well he holds up against any other journalist - including the guys here at Giant Bomb.

Between actually reading his reviews and not just looking at the score, watching the Jimquisition, and listening to Podtoid when they actually decide to talk about games, I think it would be hard to continue to argue that he still deserves all the hate he gets. If you must hate him, like I said, hate him for his sense of humor because, when it comes to work, he knows what the fuck he's doing.

All this. I agree about the sense of humor part. He is hit and miss with his jokes and joke articles, but, even if he is a bit hyperbolic, you can tell he gives a shit about his work and writes some great editorials. Most of the criticisms of him are that he 'trolls' when it's really because they can't form a proper counter argument against an opinion they disagree with. Some people may not like his style and that's fine. A lot of the hate is really childish though.

Oh, by the way, OP? Your title is a bit misleading. He said to not buy it TODAY.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#82  Edited By sopranosfan

I thought the concept seemed pretty cool. When I first heard about it I was kind of interested in the premise the more I saw the more skeptical I became.

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#83  Edited By Darkstar614

I checked out the trial on 360, there's some BAD screen tearing going on and I was getting some terrible fps in some spots. I don't know about this one, I guess for 10 bucks you can't complain much.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By SlashDance

@the_red_mage said:

@SlashDance: Okay Jim Sterling is not a reviewer (at least not in my opinion). The guys on this site are reviewers. Jim Sterling is basically a troll that tricked the world into believing that he has some kind off moral and intelectual superiority and that they should worship his fat Jabba the Hut ass! If you want to know why I dislike him so much go watch an episode of "The Jimquisition" on The Escapist Magazine.

I watch it from time to time. I can't believe anyone would take this "thank god for me" attitude seriously though. It's a fucking character, come on.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Marcsman

I married a Amy and it's been all downhill since. Stay away from any Amy's. They are inherently evil.

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Panpipe

@Brodehouse: Jim Sterling writes for the video games blog Destructoid, not the Wall Street Journal.

Destructoid like to post up reviews, press releases and rants (with MS Paint illustrations). They don't care about professional journalism. Again, Jim openly mocks it. Giant Bomb is completely different to Destructoid, they like a balance of professionalism and fun. I only compared Jim to Jeff to show examples of personalities.

There is room for both of these approaches.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Pinworm45

I find it hypocritical to insult Jim Sterling for telling people they shouldn't buy this game, when Jeff & co are famous for the line "Don't play this game".

soundlug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By soundlug

@TonicBH: I never say that I dislike him because his scores. I dislike him because I really think he is kind of hypocrite in many moments I read him on Destructoid, Twitter or The Escapist. He maybe really likes what he does, but I don't think that he is particularly is good in what he does (reviewing, reporting news or giving opinions about games). Being passionate is good only when you know what are you doing.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#89  Edited By Humanity

I'm fine with someone just saying bluntly "this game sucks don't get it" once in a while. Too many times you have bad games and the gaming press kinda tip toe around the issue then give it a low score. Just come out and say it.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#90  Edited By Slaker117

I don't see any problem with a man giving raw and straightforward purchasing advice. It's not a refined opinion, but it doesn't have to be. Look at the person, look at the context and decide if it matters to you; that's how this shit works.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By EuanDewar

@Slaker117 said:

I don't see any problem with a man giving raw and straightforward purchasing advice. It's not a refined opinion, but it doesn't have to be. Look at the person, look at the context and decide if it matters to you; that's how this shit works.

Also he is 100% correct.

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By M_Shini

To be fair ive played the game and its not nesscarly the best game in the world, his statements arnt falsly founded lol. It will make a fun quicklook hopfully :)

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By X19

It's just an opinion. From other reviews and what the demo has shown, he is probably right.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#94  Edited By AndrewB

It's been awhile since a game that wasn't always a joke has generated as much ire.

I really want to see the Giant Bomb review/quick look. Not because I want to see the always funny coverage of bad games, but because I want confirmation from a source I tend to listen to.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Akyho

Were was he for Hydrophobia?

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#96  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Just going to throw this out there again, I love Jim Sterling and I don't think the deserves the hate. I can understand why some might find him abrasive and disagree with a lot of what he has to say, but he's not the troll the gaming community seems to have him pegged as. In fact a lot of the time people seem to blow their lid at Jim it's because they've taken his obvious hyperbole or jokes and treated them as though he were making genuine statements (see the theft from the customer statement above). Hell, I've seen the same thing happen to the Giant Bomb guys before. Sterling is crass, unafraid to speak his mind and has an opinion that often differs from the norm, but I believe the opinions he gives are honest and I don't know why everyone (outside of the sad individuals who hound him for differing with other scores on Metacritic) is so bent on yelling about him being this attention whoring troll. Anyway, as Pinworm said the GB team have told people to not buy games before, it's not a huge deal.

Zaxex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#97  Edited By Zaxex

Amy's a weird case for me. Normally you can see plainly how bad a game is, but on the face of it the game looks okay to me. I don't really want to try a game everyone says is terrible; I'll take their word for it. Especially when other, likely better games have enraged me with their low quality in one way or another.

I thought the review was pretty fair; harsh of course, but it's largely subjective anyway. I've played loads of fantastic games largely because of reviews. I would hate to read reviews as a developer but I go to a review of Amy to see what the game's like and whether it's worth buying. Each review of Amy I've read thus far has pretty much formed a consensus.

Even if it was on par with the best Silent Hill games, the way it deals with saving and checkpoints is about enough to condemn it.

On the point of the tone of Sterling's review, I think this site should serve as evidence that games journalists should be free to write their honest opinions about a game. Everyone makes their own opinions, reviews just portray someone's point of view, albeit in a decent format.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By vortextk

I hate jim sterling. Completely. There is no other reviewer or editor I've ever cared to hate or dislike. I don't blame people for getting paid off or having super bias. They like and don't like whatever. But I seriously hate jim sterling and everything I've ever read of his, and I don't plan to read this either. That said, it doesn't look like anyone likes Amy. That's too bad because I thought it could be neat.

Bluepixie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 19

#99  Edited By Bluepixie

Wow, that's a shame was looking forward to it as well. Guess I'll go and remove it from my wishlist then.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no problem with the man. He's said some stuff I don't agree with or even really disliked but whatever. He's frequently funny and speaks his mind. He's also one of the few people I know of who actually use the whole 1-10 scale.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.