Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed III

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Oct 30, 2012

The fifth console entry in the Assassin's Creed franchise. It introduces the half-Native American, half-English Assassin Connor and is set in North America in the late eighteenth century amid the American Revolutionary War.

Multiplayer on a separate disc: Devs allow us to play off install

RAMBO604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RAMBO604

This is cropping up now from time to time but seriously if you can't fit the game all on one disc on 360 developers really need to allow us to play that content off one disc if the multiplayer disc is installed. Microsoft put this great feature of installing to the HDD but aside from slightly faster load times no one has taken advantage of it.

Its a minor hassle to be sure but swapping a disc between game modes pretty much ensures I'm never going to on a whim just back out and play some MP then dive back into the single player. Especially for a game like AC3 where the single player is the main event.

If a regular disc install for some reason would not work why not just include a separate install option in the menus like Forza 3's extra content disc or the texture packs in Battlefield 3 (another offender of this issue but in reverse) and Medal of Honor?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By musubi

@RAMBO604: I don't think it is an issue of nobody taking advantage of that and more of just that it can't be done.

RAMBO604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RAMBO604

If they can put the hooks in to install extra content the way EA has done and Turn 10 did before that why not just do the same for the whole thing. Whats installing 4gb of content from 2gbs. By the sounds of it Halo 4 seems to be doing exactly what I'm saying as I remember 343i saying there was going to be a mandatory hefty install to play multiplayer and those leaked shots of the game box showed two discs.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By buft

the install still needs the disk for DRM type purposes, i believe the developers hands are tied, though in saying that in forza you installed the second disk content to your hard drive and it never needed the secodn disk to be played, so i guess there could be a workaround.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Benny

Halo 4 comes on two discs, disc 2 is an 8gig install that you only need to put in once for the install then you go back to disc 1 and use that for everything. Guess the AC3 devs couldn't figure it out.

deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deskp

It uses some sort of online pass right? so I dont see why they couldnt.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By huntad

It would be nice being able to play off of the install, but I'm also fine just putting in another disc. I like that the game let's you swap discs without having to exit back to the dashboard.

Truth be told, I actually find some sort of odd enjoyment out of swapping discs.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By MikkaQ

@Demoskinos said:

@RAMBO604: I don't think it is an issue of nobody taking advantage of that and more of just that it can't be done.

But it's been done before, so it's just kinda silly that it's not more common.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By MildMolasses

I think the difference is, and I could be very wrong about it, is that in Forza's case, the second disc did not contain any kind of playable executable. It was purely data to be dumped onto a hard drive. This isn't the case with the multiplayer discs like battlefield 3 and AC3

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yea, that's kinda strange. Even making it a download would seem off.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By gaminghooligan

I think with the multiplayer being an install off disc two and launching from disc one is a fair thing to ask for. Since you would still need disc one to launch the content the DRM issue is still resolved. As we march towards the next gen systems it might be something for developers to consider, since I'm assuming Microsoft isn't going to pay Sony for the use of the Blu-Ray format and since apparently they have long since abandoned their own HD Dvd format.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@Benny said:

Halo 4 comes on two discs, disc 2 is an 8gig install that you only need to put in once for the install then you go back to disc 1 and use that for everything. Guess the AC3 devs couldn't figure it out.

Same with Forza 3 and 4.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PillClinton

@Benny said:

Really? What do the (hopefully very few) people without a hard drive do? Or can you swap discs for MP if you don't have one or something?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.