Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed

Franchise »

The Assassin's Creed franchise follows the never-ending, secret war between the Assassin Brotherhood and the Templar Order, in various historical settings, told from the perspective of the modern day.

9 year old enjoys stabbing like ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh

• 53 results
    bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bigsmoke77

My parent's were recently invited by a one of their friends  to their 9 year old's birthday party where there would be parents and kids. To me that is weird enough since I'm 19 but what the hell they are good friends. So couple days after the party I asked my Mom how it went ( still laughing inside about the fact they went to a 9 year olds B party with no kid of their own) and she said it went well and she said the parents gave him Assassins Creed for a present. She then asked me if that game would be bad for him. I responded " yeah sure a mature rated game where you stab people like ugh ugh ugh is fine for a 9 year old".  I then continued to talk to her about how it really pisses me off how the video game industry gets a bad rap because parents provide kids with mature rated games. Sure maybe 16 and 15 year olds can be mature enough to play games that are rated for the ages 17 and up but there is no way a 9 year old is going to know how to properly handle the mature themes of a M rated game.

Do you guys have any other experiences with parents giving M rated games to their young kids and I'm I right or wrong in your opinion on 9 year olds stabbing people being bad for them? Sure you can say its none of my or your business but I am part of the community that gets hated on because of these parents actions or lack of action in regards to them not taking away mature rated game from their kids.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

I played Mature games as a kid and it's no big deal. Really, this whole thing is being taken out of proportion (i'm talking about that new vote on violent games).

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Muttinus_Rump
    @xyzygy said:
    " I played Mature games as a kid and it's no big deal. Really, this whole thing is being taken out of proportion (i'm talking about that new vote on violent games). "
    So did I. But i'm not going to let my kids play them.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By BraveToaster
    @xyzygy said:
    " I played Mature games as a kid and it's no big deal. Really, this whole thing is being taken out of proportion (i'm talking about that new vote on violent games). "
    This 

Also, it's the parent's problem not yours or ours.
    Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Colin

I played mature games when I was very young also but graphics are rather realistic now which I don't think young kids should see.   I think it was ok for me and others of my age as graphics back there were about as realistic as Jeff having a beard.

A bit more on topic I find it more annoying when parents give there kid a game THEN complain about the violence and what not.    If they just took one minute to actually read the back of the box or look at the big fucking rating icon on the box...

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Ghostiet

It is seriously an individual case. I've been playing violent games when I was around eleven or ten and my parents didn't care, since I was raised properly. My dad only restricted me on tougher topics in games and cinema, on the basis that I didn't possess enough knowledge and experience to properly understand them.

Really, it's all about individuality here.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By rjayb89

I've only killed two people in my life so far after playing Killer Instinct.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By damnboyadvance

Well until a certain age, I wouldn't expose my child to content like that. After that though, I understand that they are mature enough for it, and I'm ok with them playing games like those (within reason, this one may or may not border it). That age would probably be 12 or 13.

The real issue here is bad parenting.

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By General_D23

Even beyond the UH UH UH UH UH violence (which, yeah these particular games have a bunch of), there are some pretty mature themes and concepts in both Assassin's Creed games that I certainly wouldn't want to let my child get too much of until he/she was a bit older and more mature. 

As far as the violence goes, I'd think AC would probably also be a game I'd hold off on my kid playing. I'd be more open to Halo or such, if we were going by M rated games. 

But yeah, case-by-case. Some kids can handle mature themes and violence, others can't until their older.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By ReyGitano

I don't actually think I ever got a mature game too early as a kid. I think the earliest one was when I was 14 I got Twin Snakes. I asked my dad to buy it for me, came back later that weekend with the game and said. 
    "You know that this game is rated M, for 17 or over" 
    "Yeah, I know" 
    "Ok"
    I'm a good kid though, so I was trusted.

lancer75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lancer75

If the kid is raised well and/or they are naturally intelligent then I don't think them playing a Mature rated game is a problem.  If the parents of the child are negligent then it can be a problem.  As long as quality ethical and moral values are instilled in the child by either the parents or from some other source, then them playing Mature video games isn't a problem in my opinion.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Dany

Hmm, wouldn't ACII be a littel complicated...don't remeber how i played when I was nine

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By huntad

I played a lot of Mortal Kombat 2 around that age or younger, so looking at Assassin's Creed...it doesn't seem so bad now.

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bigsmoke77
    @Dany: I'm not sure which one it was, I assume the first one because you can buy it for like 15-20 bucks, I don't think they would buy him the newer one at 50 bucks, they are not that rich but you never now.
    No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By No0b0rAmA

I was 6 when I first played Diablo 2. I can say it wasn't too bad.

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By nick_verissimo

I find it more troubling that you responded   " yeah sure a mature rated game where you stab people like UGH UGH UGH".  

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SteamPunkJin

It's kind of like how they spin research on drugs around. Take a simple set of facts and skew the hell out of them.
    That whole Marijuana as a gate way drug is figured by asking users of Harder Drugs if they've ever used Marijuana, all of them have; instead of say, asking Marijuana users if they went on to use anything else harder. 

How is this relevant you might ask? 

Violent video games aren't the problem (then again, all of you knew that), but the kind of parents that won't pay attention to what their child is doing for entertainment - will also pay zero attention to what their child is doing to get into trouble. They will be ignorant and blissfully unaware until something big and bad happens, and then it just can't be their fault, it has to have been some outside influence...

There's just no common sense anymore....and we should start calling it Rare Sense.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Akrid

There is really nothing wrong with being desensitized to violence, as long as you are smart enough to know that (to invoke a rather clichéd phrase) violence is not the answer.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

As everyone already said, its all relative. I've been playing violent video games since I was 10 or 11.

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bigsmoke77
    @nick_verissimo: giantbomb reference FTW
    altbotdos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By altbotdos

If my kid was a little less intellectually developed, or had difficulty making proper decisions frequently, I would keep them from most video games. 

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @xyzygy said:
    Lets be serious though, mature games weren't that graphic two generations ago. Hell, even PS2 generation games were rarely that graphic. Right now, everything has reached new levels of realism. Stabbing a dude in the face is not the same visceral effect as shooting something in Resident Evil 1 and seeing red squares fall out of him.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#23  Edited By natetodamax

It's actually "uh uh uh uh uh", not "ugh". Big difference in tone.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By myke_tuna

I always felt it was up to the parents. To each their own. I'm just gonna be pretty free with it. I remember playing Mortal Kombat when I was around 5 or 6. I turned out a-OK. Games are more realistic now, but I always knew that shit was "make-believe". I'll just balance my kid out with some Super Mario Galaxy or something.

codetherion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By codetherion

One of the biggest things that people haven't come to terms with yet is the fact that mature games today are much worse then the ones we played as a kid. Doom was dark, gorey and turned you to a satanist right? At that time the games were so simple that they had no affect on the human psyche as everything was extremely primitive. Now take a look at the level which games have come to, feeding off history (in assassins creed's case) and mutating it into something new and in many ways more dark. Kids below a certain age shouldn't play mature games, that's the sad fact of today. However government regulation isn't the solution. It would be a much better plan if Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo added their own precautions and regulations within the hardware. In the case of Microsoft it's not hard, they are already trying to put an ever vigilant eye into your living room, might as well make use of it in some good way.

Sephirdorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Sephirdorf

I've been playing violent games such as metal gear solid, command and conquer and resident evil 2 (which i had real trouble playing as i thought it was too scary) since the age of around 8 or 9. I've never had any problems with beleiving that violence in a game was anything like real life while growing up. There's some talk that games makes people not care and turn them anti-social such as the tv show super nanny doing some half assed test of making children playing violent games and seeing how they would then respond to orders. As the children disobeyed they came to the conclusion that gaming is satan's work indeed. Also the british news coverage when they said that playing manhunt made some teenager kill his friend. When it was discovered that the victim, not the killer, owned the game the news paid no attention.  People like Jack Thompson were also terrible to make these sort of claims without any true evidence. I bought Manhunt on launch when I was 13 and not once did I ever gain any sort of blood lust. Dispite this; the only coverage that is shown is bad even with people such as myself and many others having played 18 rated games at a very young age and growing up perfectly fine and happy.
    I have a completely clean criminal record, was brought up to treat people well and have never acted out of pure violence or rage, dispite several shows and even countries such as Austrailia and Germany claiming I should be on my fifth killing spree by now.
    Genjai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Genjai
    @bigsmoke77 said:
    "ugh ugh ugh."
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By xyzygy
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    Lets be serious though, mature games weren't that graphic two generations ago. Hell, even PS2 generation games were rarely that graphic. Right now, everything has reached new levels of realism. Stabbing a dude in the face is not the same visceral effect as shooting something in Resident Evil 1 and seeing red squares fall out of him. "
    But this is a kids imagination we're talking about. They know what those red squares represent and in their own head, are probably thinking of more violent things than what is actually being shown. 

It's the same as watching someone being stabbed in a movie on less-than-Youtube quality video, then watching the same thing on Blu-Ray. Of course the quality is way better, but you still know what just happened in both cases.
    altbotdos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By altbotdos
    @LiquidPrince said:

" @xyzygy said:

Lets be serious though, mature games weren't that graphic two generations ago. Hell, even PS2 generation games were rarely that graphic. Right now, everything has reached new levels of realism. Stabbing a dude in the face is not the same visceral effect as shooting something in Resident Evil 1 and seeing red squares fall out of him. "
    Good point. I have come to believe that video games also possess the capabilities of altering brain development or persistent thought, which could lead to bad things down the road, if unchecked.  

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2428437236878343763#
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @Dany said:
    " Hmm, wouldn't ACII be a littel complicated...don't remeber how i played when I was nine "
    Any nine year old who is familiar with games could play ACII.
    vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

I've been playing mature games since I was 8, and I'm totally fine. Me and my butcher knife don't have any problems.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By teh_pwnzorer

I watched "Taxi Driver" when I was <10 years old. ...  Maybe, that explains something...

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By habster3
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    Yeah; M games are a lot more extreme now than ever before. Honestly, I wouldn't let a 9 year old play this; maybe a 12-13 year old, but not a 9 year old.
    Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Gargantuan
    @No0b0rAmA said:
    " I was 6 when I first played Diablo 2. I can say it wasn't too bad. "
    I think I was around 9 years old when I first played Diablo 2. Andariel was scary the first time I met her. ;)
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @xyzygy said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    But this is a kids imagination we're talking about. They know what those red squares represent and in their own head, are probably thinking of more violent things than what is actually being shown.  It's the same as watching someone being stabbed in a movie on less-than-Youtube quality video, then watching the same thing on Blu-Ray. Of course the quality is way better, but you still know what just happened in both cases. "
    Right, but that doesn't really matter. Knowing that someone is getting their head cut off, and viscerally seeing the head get cut off aren't the same thing. You can imagine someone in the real world getting executed, but actually seeing a video of it up close is no where near the same. Same thing with games; you might get the idea, but actually seeing it in realistic fashion is not the same.
    jschmoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jschmoe
    @Muttinus_Rump said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    So did I. But i'm not going to let my kids play them. "
    Why?  I'm honestly curious.  I mean, there could be a bunch of valid reasons - they may not be able to handle it, they may scare easily, they already have violent tendencies that are easily sparked... You didn't give a reason, so for now I'll assume that  your kids are much like you.  If you could handle mature games, why couldn't your kids?  I'm not going to go on a big rant, but I find a lot of parents don't allow their kids to do something that they themselves did, all without a valid reason.  If mature games screwed you up, I understand.  If your kids aren't as mature as you were at the same age, I understand.  But if they're as mature as you were, what is the problem?   What is the harm?
    ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ch3burashka

It's simply preparing him for the post-apocalyptic future, when "uh uh uh uh uh" face-and-neck stabbing will become a very useful skill.

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Muttinus_Rump
    @jschmoe said:
    " @Muttinus_Rump said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    Why?  I'm honestly curious.  I mean, there could be a bunch of valid reasons - they may not be able to handle it, they may scare easily, they already have violent tendencies that are easily sparked... You didn't give a reason, so for now I'll assume that  your kids are much like you.  If you could handle mature games, why couldn't your kids?  I'm not going to go on a big rant, but I find a lot of parents don't allow their kids to do something that they themselves did, all without a valid reason.  If mature games screwed you up, I understand.  If your kids aren't as mature as you were at the same age, I understand.  But if they're as mature as you were, what is the problem?   What is the harm? "
    My parents had no idea what they were buying me, they assumed all video games were for kids because it's a thing that kids do. I came out alright, I might have come out better, I might have come out worse without mature videogames, it doesn't matter. The point is, I thought the rules didn't apply to me when I was younger but now I realise that I shouldn't have been playing that shit. It doesn't matter if I came out good in the end, I don't want my kids playing Grand Theft Auto 8 when they're 10.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I had no problem playing violent games at an early age.  If your kid is some kind of psychopath who's mind could get altered by watching movies or playing video games with some violence in it then sure, you should prevent that child from watching those movies/playing those games.  I don't think it's okay to let a normal child watch a movie that has a more intense psychological effect like Saw, but I'd have no problems at all with letting a stable minded 9-year-old play Assassin's Creed II.

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By schizogony

Games didn't have ratings when I was a wee lad.

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Bionicicide

Children need to understand fantasy and reality. I played Mortal Kombat when I was 11. My test to my child, "Do you think Superman is a real person?" I was asked that when I was 8 and I laughed and said no and asked if any kids thought that, the adult said yes.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By xyzygy
    @Muttinus_Rump said:
    " @jschmoe said:
    " @Muttinus_Rump said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    Why?  I'm honestly curious.  I mean, there could be a bunch of valid reasons - they may not be able to handle it, they may scare easily, they already have violent tendencies that are easily sparked... You didn't give a reason, so for now I'll assume that  your kids are much like you.  If you could handle mature games, why couldn't your kids?  I'm not going to go on a big rant, but I find a lot of parents don't allow their kids to do something that they themselves did, all without a valid reason.  If mature games screwed you up, I understand.  If your kids aren't as mature as you were at the same age, I understand.  But if they're as mature as you were, what is the problem?   What is the harm? "
    My parents had no idea what they were buying me, they assumed all video games were for kids because it's a thing that kids do. I came out alright, I might have come out better, I might have come out worse without mature videogames, it doesn't matter. The point is, I thought the rules didn't apply to me when I was younger but now I realise that I shouldn't have been playing that shit. It doesn't matter if I came out good in the end, I don't want my kids playing Grand Theft Auto 8 when they're 10. "
    If you don't restrict kids in that sense while they're young, they won't feel the need to rebel or whatever when they're older. Trust me, I grew up with some friends all through elementary school to high school and even into college so I can look back to when we were 5 and see the whole thing.  

This one girl I know, let's call her B, as a kid her and her sister were always restricted with what they can do. I was friends with her, she was really really smart in school (smartest in my class), always got into the science fair, etc. But everything she did her mom had restriction, like I said. She even had an N64, then a Gamecube, and was only allowed on it an hour a day. (I know this because I would sometimes go over to her place as a kid when I didn't have a Gamecube.) She was only allowed games like Wave Race, Pikmin, Mario Sunshine, basically cutesy games. 

Anyway, now she is a huge slut, along with her sister, they live in the city and have so many problems it's ridiculous. There's a same story for another girl and another guy in my elementary class. 

So, personally, I think it's better to let all this stuff out of your kids while they're young and let them get whatever they want out of their system before it builds.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Few years back I was an intern at the local gamestore.
    A granny buys GTA San Andreas, for her grandson's birthday who was becoming 13.
    So I explained to her what the game was about and generally be a good cashier with the gamers age in mind but she wouldn't have none of it.

Sure enough she comes back the day after, threatening to sue the store for selling such a violent game to a minor...
    You bought it for your grandson while you were advised it's not a game for kids, as the rating suggested.
    Meh, people.

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Druminator

No but my 3 year old nephew loves when I play violent games. I had to give it up when he's around because he seems to imitate stuff. Even when I play Skate he jumps around like he's bailing haha. But I set up the SNES and 64 for him so now the only violence he sees is Goldeneye. I hate when parents give spoiled kids M rated games because not only does it make the kid an even bigger brat but it makes online so annoying.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jack268

I've played games for 16+ since I was 9 and I'm fine. 

But I like stabbing food like uh uh uh uh uh

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Muttinus_Rump
    @xyzygy: I know plenty of people who didn't play mature videogames when they were kids. Hell, most people I know didn't play videogames at all. And they're fine. So you're saying a 10 year old should actually be encouraged to play GTA? Fucking ridiculous.
    Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Raymayne
    @xyzygy said:
    That
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By xyzygy
    @Muttinus_Rump said:
    " @xyzygy: I know plenty of people who didn't play mature videogames when they were kids. Hell, most people I know didn't play videogames at all. And they're fine. So you're saying a 10 year old should actually be encouraged to play GTA? Fucking ridiculous. "
    That's not what I said at all. I said to let kids do what they want and that way they can have an outlet for their imagination at an early age. I said nothing about encouraging them to play violent games. If a kid doesn't like to play video games, that's fine, but it's totally irrelevant to what I'm saying. 
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By ajamafalous

I've played M rated games since I was ~8.

Censorship is fucking stupid.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.