Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Atlus

Company »

Atlus is a Japanese game developer and publisher.

SEGA Has Purchased Index Corp (ATLUS)

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Another Company has shown Intrest this time Bidding 1.3 Billion, also a quote

“It’s a good idea to buy companies that do communication and application businesses for smartphones and tap their client bases to market our financial services

SMT Goes Free to PLAY ?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-09/j-trust-makes-offer-for-index-corp-in-bid-to-tap-online-clients.html

Real talk: If a Japanese company buys Index's gaming division it won't be because of their love for quirky Jrpgs.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Another Company has shown Intrest this time Bidding 1.3 Billion, also a quote

“It’s a good idea to buy companies that do communication and application businesses for smartphones and tap their client bases to market our financial services

SMT Goes Free to PLAY ?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-09/j-trust-makes-offer-for-index-corp-in-bid-to-tap-online-clients.html

It is $1.3b for all acquisitions, not just Index. Keep in mind Index was a phone game company that bought Atlus (well I think it was spun off and then came back to buy Atlus)

cutyoface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#157  Edited By cutyoface

Any update on this?

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Hopefully they do not treat them like how they treat their own property

>,> Looking at you PSO2

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Who would've thought this image would ever become relevant to something?

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

love is over

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh. Ugh, ugh, ugh. I really hope Atlus pulls through this and Sega doesn't ruin them.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Awww...

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Well fuck. With Sega's track record on localization anything other than Sonic, we're never getting another SMT/Persona/DDS game again.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is Perfect

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trafalgarlaw: one game, man... I think they learned their lesson after all the backlash too.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game over, man! Game over!

I really REALLY hope that Persona 5 still happens and is localized. I don't know what I'd do without that carrot on a stick to get me from day to day...

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Glad to hear this happened. Both sides stand to benefit from this a great deal and I think both catalogs could mesh well.

On a side note, I cant wait to see the uproar from all the foolish people that only think of Sega as some not so great Sonic games(that sell millions) and some failed addons.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

God fucking dammit. Now, thanks to you, I'm always going to live in fear that Sonic and friends are going to show up in Persona. Christ, now I'm going to start having nightmares about Mitsuru kissing Knuckles to bring him back to life.

On the bright side, they could always play a joke on everyone not named Sonic or Tails by giving him or her a real pistol instead of an Evoker. Always a silver lining.

"Hey Amy! You, too, can summon a Persona!"
    *bang*
    "Ken, get a fucking mop!"

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#174  Edited By Animasta

@grantheaslip said:

I'm sure it will be fine. I mean, realistically, who else would be a better fit? A part of me thought it would have been interesting in a competitive sense if Nintendo bought them, but was that ever a realistic option? And for that matter, how much would people have lost their minds if Persona 5 was moved to the Wii U and delayed in the process?

Yeah, Sega's a sometimes-weird company with some spotty recent in-house development, but they're not idiots. Localizing, supporting, and hosting international servers for a niche MMO is a completely different thing than putting out the next Persona game.

exactly.

and let's be honest, now we can finally get the rise kujikawa diva R game that everyone has been waiting for!

(serious though this was the best fit and anyone who says otherwise either hates people who don't own nintendo/sony consoles or is a dumb)

I mean the fact that people think persona 5 might not be localized? come on.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

On the bright side, they could always play a joke on everyone not named Sonic or Tails by giving him or her a real pistol instead of an Evoker. Always a silver lining.

*bang*

I can already see the Internet's reaction:

"Should've been the other way around!"

......I'm really cynical.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything is ruined.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I'm sure it will be fine. I mean, realistically, who else would be a better fit? A part of me thought it would have been interesting in a competitive sense if Nintendo bought them, but was that ever a realistic option? And for that matter, how much would people have lost their minds if Persona 5 was moved to the Wii U and delayed in the process?

Yeah, Sega's a sometimes-weird company with some spotty recent in-house development, but they're not idiots. Localizing, supporting, and hosting international servers for a niche MMO is a completely different thing than putting out the next Persona game.

But not a Yakuza game apparently...

:'(

Though I would imagine the Persona series is still much more popular overall... right?

stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it bitterly ironic that I first heard the news while playing Bayonetta for the first time.

The only real silver lining here is that Sega might see fit to expand Atlus USA's localization people's role to localizing for Sega as a whole, as opposed to gutting them like they did their own localization team.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of games would have to be sold to get all that money back. Getting it all out of Japan would be a pretty slow trickle.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:
    @grantheaslip said:

Though I would imagine the Persona series is still much more popular overall... right?

uh, yeah?

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh god IOS games.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@animasta said:

@yummylee said:
    @grantheaslip said:

uh, yeah?

Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Get ready.

No Caption Provided

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:
    @animasta said:

@yummylee said:
    @grantheaslip said:

uh, yeah?

Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me.

I'm just saying that people are really really worried for no logical reason.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I really hope this turns out well for everyone involved, including us. If Sega's smart, they'll let Atlus continuing doing their own thing and reap the rewards. Sega has to understand what's made Atlus work up till now. Right? They wouldn't buy something and knowingly change everything about it that made it successful. That's just like buying's a really cool car and then immediately slashing the tires. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By TruthTellah

I hope they will be smart and just sit back and allow Atlus to rake in the money for them. Don't touch them at all; just let them do what they do and watch the profits flow in.

http://imageshack.us/a/img163/8666/ek9d.gif

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

I don't know which specific arguments you're referring to, but it's nonsense to believe that Sega Sammy's acquisition of Index will absolutely lead to good things concerning Atlus.

Not that it won't, but we don't know yet.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

If Sega treats Atlus like the Creative Assembly and sort of lets them do their own thing, we have nothing to fear. If they start treating those games like every single one of their niche games that don't involve vocaloid singers...

...And Atlus games were never released in the west everagain.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

I don't know which specific arguments you're referring to, but it's nonsense to believe that Sega Sammy's acquisition of Index will absolutely lead to good things concerning Atlus.

Yeah, either extreme is too much. I think there are many more people who are way too worried than people who might be overly excited about it. Honestly, we won't know how it will turn out until we actually see SEGA's approach with Atlus.

Though, we can certainly have our concerns and hopes.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By TruthTellah

@believer258 said:

@video_game_king said:

God fucking dammit. Now, thanks to you, I'm always going to live in fear that Sonic and friends are going to show up in Persona. Christ, now I'm going to start having nightmares about Mitsuru kissing Knuckles to bring him back to life.

*bang*

In Persona 5, the Mysterious Fox will have a little hedgehog friend that sells you speed stat boosting rings.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

Check tumblr. You'll get a good idea.

Likewise, it's also nonsense to believe this will absolutely lead to bad things. Basically people need to cool their shit.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By TruthTellah

@_zombie_ said:

@fluxwavez said:

@animasta said:

Likewise, it's also nonsense to believe this will absolutely lead to bad things. Basically people need to cool their shit.

Oh, well there's your problem right there.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: It's astounding the kind of stupid shit they're coming up with on there.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By Animasta

@_zombie_ said:

@fluxwavez said:

@animasta said:

I bet you people on neogaf and somethingawful are making a lot of the same arguments.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm not worried yet. This all comes down to whether Sega understands that Atlas knows its niche and budgets for that niche audience. Atlas gains fans by making unique, great games with modest production values that are targeted to a fairly hardcore crowd, they sell based on the quality of their games and they gradually build a larger fan-base by doing so.

Sega attempting to broaden the appeal of Atlas would probably result in generic JRPGs that struggle to find any audience. Hopefully that doesn't happen. I do prefer to see Atlas being bought as an existing working unit with a good track record than see them sold off piecemeal.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eujin said:

Well fuck. With Sega's track record on localization anything other than Sonic, we're never getting another SMT/Persona/DDS game again.

Why would we get another DDS game? The ending of DDS 2 wrapped it up pretty well.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By TruthTellah

@animasta said:

@truthtellah said:

@_zombie_ said:

@fluxwavez said:

@animasta said:

I bet you people on neogaf and somethingawful are making a lot of the same arguments.

I bet you're right, and some will make really sensational arguments here, as well. This is big news, and it's bound to leave a conflagration of nonsense in its wake.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@_zombie_ said:

@eujin said:

Why would we get another DDS game? The ending of DDS 2 wrapped it up pretty well.

Also, Sega buying Index doesn't suddenly dismantle Atlus USA.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.