Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Aug 25, 2009

Batman: Arkham Asylum puts you behind the cowl of the iconic Dark Knight, fighting his way through Arkham Asylum to stop the Joker from enacting a sinister plot that would have grave consequences for Gotham City.

An Amazing Adventure, but... (AVOID SPOILERS!!!)

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JokerClown88

I beat the game last night after marathoning all day to get through the story.  Let me say, it was an awesome adventure and the story was perfect...almost.  The ending and the final boss encounter felt extremely forced and unecessary.  They could have made the ending so much better.  The only thing that made the final fight memorable was the dialogue.  Other then that, it was atrocious. 

Does anyone else agree? 

(please avoid spoiling the story for everyone else)

DapperDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DapperDan

How long did it take you to finish it? I think the game looks cool but dont want to buy it if its short as hell.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Lashe
    @DapperDan said:
    " How long did it take you to finish it? I think the game looks cool but dont want to buy it if its short as hell. "
    IceColdGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By IceColdGamer

Took me 14 hours to complete the game on Normal, with 100% of the Secrets, Riddles and Arkham Secrets. Without a guide. But I played around a lot.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By CenturionCajun

Yeah, I would say if you just went whole hog into doing nothing but the story it's about 10 hours. You could easily finish the game in two sitting and will probably want to. The gameplay and story are just that good.

I will agree that the final sequence was a little disappointing. I totally didn't think that Joker would behave in such a manner. I can forgive it though as it wasn't completely atrocious. Just a little odd.

Valames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Valames

I probably spent about 17 hours on the main story just exploring and getting all the secrets and just taking in the atmosphere. But the game is far from over after the credits roll. The challenge rooms bring the same kind of addiction that Shadow Complex has for me. I just can't stop playing them. I have been doing the challenges for about 6 hours today and I don't think I will be stopping anytime soon. I have to shave more milliseconds!

P.S. Had to take out my edit it had spoilers.

P.S.S. My edit said I enjoyed the ending. I am not sure why everyone is poo-pooing on it. It really couldn't have gone any other way without it being totally a one-sided fight.

sdornan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By sdornan

The only problem I really had with the game was the Killer Croc level. It was boring and repetitive, but the game was great overall.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By CL60
    @Valames said:

" I probably spent about 17 hours on the main story just exploring and getting all the secrets and just taking in the atmosphere. But the game is far from over after the credits roll. The challenge rooms bring the same kind of addiction that Shadow Complex has for me. I just can't stop playing them. I have been doing the challenges for about 6 hours today and I don't think I will be stopping anytime soon. I have to shave more milliseconds!    P.S. Had to take out my edit it had spoilers.  P.S.S. My edit said I enjoyed the ending. I am not sure why everyone is poo-pooing on it. It really couldn't have gone any other way without it being totally a one-sided fight. "

Those challenges get hard as hell when they throw in multiple stun baton guys, and guys with knives, and titans. I can't get 3 bat symbol things on them, need like 50-60 thousand score.
    Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By KowalskiManDown

The game took me about 11 hours and I didn't even get all the riddles and secrets yet.

This game is just worth buying, because it's a freakin awesome game.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By suneku

Agreed, the ending boss was a let down. But it didn't ruin the adventure to it.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By spankingaddict
    @sdornan said:
    " The only problem I really had with the game was the Killer Croc level. It was boring and repetitive, but the game was great overall. "
    wtf, i just did that part and thought it was different but awesome....
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187
    @sdornan: I enjoyed it, but solely because I like Killer Croc and that level felt like a nice break-up from the rest of the game. 

Also, I enjoyed the final boss fight.  Did it make sense?  In the context of the story, I guess.  It was a big joke to The Joker, so it absolutely makes sense.  Was it a bit easy?  Yeah, but it was more about humiliating the Hell out of The Joker while he was in his limelight rather than to be some big, huge boss fight.  Seriously, did ANYONE think that The Joker boss fight was going to be at all difficult?!  It was about the reasoning and the tone for me, and it was great the way they played it off.
    JukeboxJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JukeboxJoe

I'd agree, the last boss fight felt a bit forced. I just posted this on another thread 

'Just finished the game! SPOILERS 

I'm unsure what to think about the last few battles. Thought Scarecrow had a fitting end, and while not brilliant I thought the Killer Croc section was a pretty cool and different way to do a boss encounter.  

While the Poison Ivy fight was cool, it was pretty easy, and with both her and the Joker I felt like they ran out of idea's and fell back on the traditional 'boss fight mechanics' i.e. watch their attacks, wait for the opening. I'd of much prefered something a bit different - the thing with Batman is getting to the villains is the trouble, but once Batman gets there he makes pretty short work of them. For example, with the Joker I think chasing him through the prison area while tearing through his henchmen, and the Joker laughing but then starting to panic as you continue to tear his men apart, then he finally hits a dead end and turns to fight you and one or two punches settle's it - he could have a lifebar fill up with loads of bars, and they just instantly drain (think Mysterio on Spiderman 2 - one of the most memorable bosses just because it was hilarious). I think it would have been more faithful to the comics and an interesting and different take on how to do a 'final boss'. '
    mark2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mark2000

The only thing I can say for the last 2 boss fights is that they were out of character and that the developers probably ran out of ideas by that time. The Ivy fight could've been done a bit differently since I just don't think a fist fight with a giant plant is something even batman would do. If you can recall, none of the previous boss fights were ever about straight-up brawls (Harley is probably an exception but technically, you never fought her directly). Even the fight with Bane was about taking advantage of his weakness instead of beating him to submission. Personally, I would imagine the Ivy fight to be something similar to Scarecrow's in that you traverse the environment and take advantage of any surrounding object that can harm the enemy.

As for the Joker fight......well what can I say? I personally don't think there was any need for a final fight with the Joker at all. Batman's fights with the Joker were always about foiling his plans and just knocking him out with a punch at the end of it all. I can sympathize with the developers though. They had to put a game in there one way or another. Designing a Joker boss fight is like making an FPS game for the movie Citizen Kane. It just doesn't work unless you're into the Adam West stuff.

iiNF3RNo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By iiNF3RNo

yeah the joker fight was a bit disappointing and easy

SUBL1ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SUBL1ME

The game is flawless story wise until literally the last 15 minutes where it seemed like there could have been a lot more game left but they all of sudden go oh yeah go do the final boss. That entire sequence aside from being terribly forced also felt completely contradictory to the entire Batman mythos. Even though it was written by Paul Dini it felt like borderline fan-fiction.

DrLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DrLove

i thought the dialogue saved the final boss fight.  In a video game you have to have a boss fight or something like that at the end.  yes i was over the top but i think the story telling at the end was ok.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.