Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Aug 25, 2009

Batman: Arkham Asylum puts you behind the cowl of the iconic Dark Knight, fighting his way through Arkham Asylum to stop the Joker from enacting a sinister plot that would have grave consequences for Gotham City.

Quick Impression: Batman Arkham Asylum demo

Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Edited By Junpei

After going into work the other day and seeing the Sony Rep change the demo disc in the PS3 I decided to check out what was on it. Pleasantly surprised to find that there was a demo for Arkham Asylum on there I leapt in immediately. There are two playable sections in the demo. To be fair I have only played the first of the two which is solely focused on the combat in the game. To be honest, it's not so great in my opinion.

The combat relies around using the square button to perform combos, triangle to counter, circle to swing your cape and "stun" enemies, and you can also use L1+R1 to throw the battarang (never really came into use in the demo). The level is just a square room where the Joker sends inmates at you in waves to defeat, so pretty standard stuff. What I noticed though is the cape move to "stun" your enemies doesn't really do much since they are back to normal by the time your animation ends. Also when an enemy is prepping to attack they glow blue for a brief period. That is your cue to use the counter button. Just push the analog toward the glowing enemy and hit the butt. That's all. The problem with this is that it then delves into Assassin's Creed-like territory of just waiting for an attack and countering. Enemies only attack one at a time and in succession you can just keep countering from one enemy to another until they are all down. If that's as deep as the combat gets then I'll spend even less time on this game than I did on AC (stopped at the 2nd city for lack of anything new to keep me going).

Again to be fair though, I haven't played the second part of the demo yet. Hopefully it is about movement and exploration and if that is done well then maybe it'll counteract the repetition of the fight system that I've experienced thus far. Here's to hoping.

Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Junpei

After going into work the other day and seeing the Sony Rep change the demo disc in the PS3 I decided to check out what was on it. Pleasantly surprised to find that there was a demo for Arkham Asylum on there I leapt in immediately. There are two playable sections in the demo. To be fair I have only played the first of the two which is solely focused on the combat in the game. To be honest, it's not so great in my opinion.

The combat relies around using the square button to perform combos, triangle to counter, circle to swing your cape and "stun" enemies, and you can also use L1+R1 to throw the battarang (never really came into use in the demo). The level is just a square room where the Joker sends inmates at you in waves to defeat, so pretty standard stuff. What I noticed though is the cape move to "stun" your enemies doesn't really do much since they are back to normal by the time your animation ends. Also when an enemy is prepping to attack they glow blue for a brief period. That is your cue to use the counter button. Just push the analog toward the glowing enemy and hit the butt. That's all. The problem with this is that it then delves into Assassin's Creed-like territory of just waiting for an attack and countering. Enemies only attack one at a time and in succession you can just keep countering from one enemy to another until they are all down. If that's as deep as the combat gets then I'll spend even less time on this game than I did on AC (stopped at the 2nd city for lack of anything new to keep me going).

Again to be fair though, I haven't played the second part of the demo yet. Hopefully it is about movement and exploration and if that is done well then maybe it'll counteract the repetition of the fight system that I've experienced thus far. Here's to hoping.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Hamz

Worries me a little bit that you compare the combat for this game to something like Assassin's Creed.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Alexander
    Hamz said:
    "Worries me a little bit that you compare the combat for this game to something like Assassin's Creed."
    If you are saying the combat in Assassins Creed was bad then I'd strongly disagree with you. The way you could take on a bunch of guys and pull off some really great (and bloody) reversals was one of the highlights for me. My problem with the game was that it hardly changed up and I still haven't finished it.

My expectations rose for Arkhum when I saw the first gameplay footage, and it looked like they were focusing more on working out a way to take out the baddies without raising the alarm, doing things quietly rather than getting into a brawl. Hopefully what you (the TC) played wasn't reflective of the rest of the game.
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By suneku

Great impressions on the demo. Hopefully the limitations were just due to it being a demo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.