Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Aug 25, 2009

Batman: Arkham Asylum puts you behind the cowl of the iconic Dark Knight, fighting his way through Arkham Asylum to stop the Joker from enacting a sinister plot that would have grave consequences for Gotham City.

That's not how to implement a "hard" difficulty setting

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I am currently playing through this game for the second time on the "hard" difficulty setting, and it's disappointing. They simply cranked up the damage Batman takes and the hits enemies can absorb to an insane level and it's simply not fun anymore. The A.I. itself is as smart (or dumb) as ever. I managed to get up to the big fight against Poison Ivy, but at this point it's so cheap that it's plain impossible to beat her, even with the armor maxed out and everything. This particular fight was annoying enough on "normal", but on "hard" - ludicrous. Usually I prefer playing games on harder settings, but in this case, it's a real chore. It's frustrating because you know exactly what you need to do and how, but the damage you take with every minor hit is just upsetting, given the somewhat random fighting system.

What do you guys think? Have you finished the game on "hard"?

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By OmegaPirate

i went through on hard for my first play through, admittedly that particular boss fight did give me a heap of pain - and some of the larger group battles were a nightmare, but apart from that it wasn't too bad

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By RobotHamster

Well it wasn't that bad for me to be honest, at times it definitely seemed cheap but i just retried until i got it.  I did it on my second playthrough and beat it in under two days, just a couple of hours.  The final boss was the hardest for me and it didn't even take me that long because i already knew the strategy and just was careful.  There have been a lot more games that were harder on the hardest difficulty that really pissed me off, but it will always be different for different people.

Metzo_Paino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Metzo_Paino
    @OmegaPirate said:
    " i went through on hard for my first play through, admittedly that particular boss fight did give me a heap of pain - and some of the larger group battles were a nightmare, but apart from that it wasn't too bad "
    My experience was the same.
    JohnTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By JohnTheGamer

I actually just got this yesterday and being the achievement whore I am started out on hard. The first fight took me about ten minutes just to get a handle on the fighting system. I'm at the next fight after taking down Zsasz and didn't find it tough at all; that being said I'm not far in either so I'm not really a good barometer.

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By JokerClown88

Agreed.  The single way that they could crank the difficulty up is just by taking away the indicators that thugs were attacking instead of doing that AND cranking up damage that thugs can take and dish out.
    MoistJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MoistJohn

I've played it on Hard the first playthrough and I thought it was good. The poison ivy fight is annoying but i think it's annoying on every level. It's build kinda annoying and beating her felt cheap and repetative. finding out the timing on running across the floor to not get hit by those balls (hehehe...) and when to throw a batarang and so on. It's not a good boss fight and i actually think most boss fights in that game are not very good. unlike most of the game.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@Marshmellow_Peep said:
    "finding out the timing on running across the floor to not get hit by those balls (hehehe...) and when to throw a batarang and so on.
    The timing is extremely tight especially after throwing the batarang and each spore takes away like a fourth of your health. I find that highly frustrating, given the sheer length of this ordeal.
    Avatar image for sandwich_adjustment
    sandwich_adjustment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recently got Batman and am playing it on Hard. The challenge is decent I think, its cool to get gunned down very fast and not be able to swing in front of their faces from gargoyle to gargoyle and magically vanish. However, the checkpoint/collectible system kind of pisses me off - If I collect some stuff and solve riddler puzzles, and then die - then I lose all the stuff I uncovered. THAT IS TEDIOUS BULLSHIT! Wish PC (at least) had a save function

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By CaptainObvious

You wanted to play on hard, you play on hard. 

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By nanikore
    @CaptainObvious: Gee, thanks Captain Obvious!
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ajamafalous

I hate it when developers decide that's how they'll implement their tougher difficulties.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Baillie

Yeah, make the Hard mode, how do you say.. Hard? Come on kiddies, learn to play games. 

I played it through Hard on my first playthrough and I got stuck at some points. However, once I got my fighting down, I blew through the game easily.

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By eric_buck
    @atomic_dumpling:  I just beat Poison Ivy on Hard. I must admit it was the hardest part in the game so far but I beat her after about 6 trys. You just have to throw batarangs whenever you can while fighting the thugs and avoiding the plants. Eg. when all the bad guys are tied up in the plants throw batarangs like mad. It actually does a huge amount of damage. 
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HandsomeDead

I beat it on normal then went back on hard and beat it without much of a problem but yes, the boss battles are a pain, especially Ivy, and the damage difference is the only real thing that's hard now. Though that being said, I can't think of many hard modes that do anything more advanced than change the damage ratio.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing games on hard never seemed that fun to me to begin with...

I can't even think of anything else that the devs would do differently to make it a "funner" hard mode.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I hate saying this, because there's no good way to put it without it smacking of a definite pomp, but I don't see what everyone's trouble with the Poison Ivy boss battle is. The battle's a cakewalk if you use the quick-Batarang properly. And, really, the enemy attack animations telegraph their intentions so plainly that not having a counter "Bat Sense" isn't that dramatic a loss.

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By L33tfella_H
    @OmegaPirate said:
    " i went through on hard for my first play through, admittedly that particular boss fight did give me a heap of pain - and some of the larger group battles were a nightmare, but apart from that it wasn't too bad "
    @Metzo_Paino said:
    "My experience was the same. "
    '' ''
    DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

I play on hard all the time, I just got bored and didn't feel like beating it anymore so i just dropped it. Might pick it up later. I'm at the part...

. If anyone can tell me how much more is left cause I'm just about done with this boring game (IMO i've done everything I wanted to do.)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DuhQbnSiLo said:
    "I play on hard all the time, I just got bored and didn't feel like beating it anymore so i just dropped it. Might pick it up later. I'm at the part...
    Where Poisen Ivy tells you where the plant is in and you have to locate Croc's Lair
    . If anyone can tell me how much more is left cause I'm just about done with this boring game (IMO i've done everything I wanted to do.) "
    You've got a solid hour, hour and a half left. Not a lot. Still have to get through Ivy and Joker, of course.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "

I hate saying this, because there's no good way to put it without it smacking of a definite pomp, but I don't see what everyone's trouble with the Poison Ivy boss battle is. The battle's a cakewalk if you use the quick-Batarang properly. And, really, the enemy attack animations telegraph their intentions so plainly that not having a counter "Bat Sense" isn't that dramatic a loss.

"
    I'm not sure if everyone felt this way, but that battle for me was just such a grind that it got under my skin. It took a long time, felt overlong with the goon squad appearance and the sprint/Batarang/sprint/Batarang way of dealing with her seemed so uninspired. When I played it on hard, I think I died twice and both times were because I zoned out while playing and lost track of what I was meant to be dodging.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HandsomeDead: I'd agree with that.
    mankvill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mankvill

Going through hard, it really fucked me up how there weren't any indicators as to when punches were coming. Other than that, I feel like it wasn't too crazy.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By Snail

Dude! I thought the exact same thing as I played through the game on hard difficulty. A hard difficulty is not simply making the player weaker and the enemies harder! So many games fail to see that, and Batman Arkham Asylum is clearly one of those games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.