Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 2

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jun 21, 2005

DICE's large-scale multiplayer shooter moves to the present day in this acclaimed sequel, whose online community has remained active for nearly a decade.

Tell me about this game

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

So I saw this game on Origin (The complete pack) Tell me about this. Is the player base still real big? Are mics used a lot? I wanna know if its worth my time to give it a try.  

More or less "Is it fun" Can I blow up cover and stuff? 

Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Liber

www.realitymod.com

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Liber said:

www.realitymod.com

That tells me nothing. I wanna know more about the game. Like commander mode. Do people still play....
    Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Kyle

I'm pretty sure there's not many people still playing, but I don't have it so that's all I can tell you.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By mikemcn

@Kyle said:

I'm pretty sure there's not many people still playing, but I don't have it so that's all I can tell you.

Theres plenty of people playing!

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Kyle

@Mikemcn said:

@Kyle said:

Okay, my mistake.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Mikemcn said:

@Kyle said:

How many servers are normally up and filled? 
    UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By UlquioKani

its got guns

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By SSully

I suggest look up more videos.

My best way of describing is the game is like an unleashed battlefield bad company 2. The maps are much more open, when you are a squad leader, or a commander you can get a birds eye(RTS) view of the battlefield and command your squad in multiple way. The vehicular combat is supurb, with things like jets, helicopters, tanks, and APC's it leaves something to be desired when playing BFBC2. There are a total of 7 classes, 3 more compared to BFBC2. But that isn't nessicarily a good thing. Each class has a very specific role, wheres BC2 each class has multiple roles. It makes for a very fun and unique experience for each class though, and at times adds a significant challenge for some of the more obscure classes like engineer.

The commander mode is very unique because you should find somewhere to hide and play in the RTS view the entire time. A good commander is constantly ordering squads to try and get an advantage on the enemy. You can order squads to sneak into the enemy base and sabotage their equipment, which SEVERELY hampers the commanders ability to help the team. You can also send in different support options such as Artillary, UAV, Supply drop, Vehicle Drop, and more.

I haven't played the game in awhile, but I believe it is worth trying. Playing BF2 was one of the best multiplayer experiences I've ever had.

Also FYI there is a free version of the game made by EA. It could be perfect for you, if not it should serve as a good demo for BF2. But I am pretty sure there are some small differences between this and BF2.

http://battlefield.play4free.com/en/frontpage/landingPage

SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SammydesinasNL

There are a lot of servers up, although you may want to check when you first start if they are running several maps or have infantry only on/off. Several servers have their own Vent/teamspeak servers. 

Yes it's worth getting.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Agent47
    @UlquioKani: I belive you shoot people too correct me if I am wrong.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By AhmadMetallic

It's so popular its fucking insane.  Don't worry about finding servers, there's more servers than you can count.
    But you're gonna have to tolerate its age, it's not by any means arcadey or fast paced or easy. Yet not so hard and boring like a sim.. it's just right 
    The shooting feels a little rusty and old, and the graphics and physics aren't the best there is   

Have you played Bad Company 2? describing BF2 would be much easier if you have 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By natetodamax

During my time with Battlefield 2, 90% of the encounters play out with both players immediately going prone and the person who goes prone first wins.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    It's so popular its fucking insane.  Don't worry about finding servers, there's more servers than you can count.But you're gonna have to tolerate its age, it's not by any means arcadey or fast paced or easy. Yet not so hard and boring like a sim.. it's just right The shooting feels a little rusty and old, and the graphics and physics aren't the best there is   Have you played Bad Company 2? describing BF2 would be much easier if you have 
    Ive been playing BFBC2 recently. And I wanna gonna re down load BF 2142 and saw this game in the store. 
    thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By thebunnyhunter

i played some BF2 a couple of days ago and there are still alot of servers still up.   The thing that irks me about BF2 is the weapons dont pack much of a punch, cant really describe it, but sniping is tremendously fun.  Everything else is still great

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By natetodamax

@thebunnyhunter said:

i played some BF2 a couple of days ago and there are still alot of servers still up. The thing that irks me about BF2 is the weapons dont pack much of a punch, cant really describe it, but sniping is tremendously fun. Everything else is still great

Yeah, sniping is one of the better aspects of the game, especially when you're on a sniper only server. I spent a lot of time on those just creeping around and hiding.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DonPixel

@The_Laughing_Man said:

So I saw this game on Origin (The complete pack) Tell me about this. Is the player base still real big? Are mics used a lot? I wanna know if its worth my time to give it a try. More or less "Is it fun" Can I blow up cover and stuff?

There is people still playing.. but you gonna get raped nowadays. The Hit system is uber weird to not said just plain bad but overall for let's say as "Gaming story" and with the bargain price go for it.

Be advice there is exploits like in no other game, nade spamming, dolphin diving, bunny hopping, eventual hacks and if available c4 spamming.. it's perhaps one of the most damming things about BF2 it was be design a very exploitable game.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By soldierg654342

BF2 is basically in the same state as pre-F2P (maybe even pre-Hats)  TF2. There are still a tone of people playing it, but it's really hard to get into at this point becasue the people still playing it are mindbogglingly good at it. 

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @The_Laughing_Man:  SSully's post is actually perfect, read it! 

This game is everything that is BC2, but bigger and better (except for graphics and hit registration and destruction and sound).. so, gameplay-wise 

Huge conquest maps, the commander like SSully said has his own little console screen that allows him to send artillery or help the team or deploy UAV. 
    You can camp in a hill and snipe, you go spec ops and blow up the commander's assets with C4, or any other kit and do a great job 

The vehicular aspect is out of this world. Jets flying in the air, you can dog fight and shoot jets down, or bomb flags and kill enemies.  The scenery is also sooooooooo diverse and great, all kinds of terrains, you have your shore maps with american plane carriers in the sea, there's desert, jungle and fog, everything 

I just wish the official version wasn't so stale and dead and boring. I miss playing the vanilla version on modded servers :(
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By mikemcn
    @The_Laughing_Man
    @Mikemcn said:

@Kyle said:

How many servers are normally up and filled? 
    The top 50 or so are filled out of like 300.
    Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I popped back onto my favorite Battlefield, Battlefield 1942, earlier this year. It was packed with people.

By most regards, BF2 is objectively more popular than BF1942. I'm sure there are still tons of people on it.

If it's not as packed as you hoped, fear not: There will be even more when the ex-BF2 zealots go play BF3, hoping it to be an updated and reskinned BF2, and find it to not be the same. So if you wait for October, you'll probably see a massive influx of players rejoin the BF2 servers.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    @The_Laughing_Man:  SSully's post is actually perfect, read it!  This game is everything that is BC2, but bigger and better (except for graphics and hit registration and destruction and sound).. so, gameplay-wise  Huge conquest maps, the commander like SSully said has his own little console screen that allows him to send artillery or help the team or deploy UAV. You can camp in a hill and snipe, you go spec ops and blow up the commander's assets with C4, or any other kit and do a great job  The vehicular aspect is out of this world. Jets flying in the air, you can dog fight and shoot jets down, or bomb flags and kill enemies.  The scenery is also sooooooooo diverse and great, all kinds of terrains, you have your shore maps with american plane carriers in the sea, there's desert, jungle and fog, everything  I just wish the official version wasn't so stale and dead and boring. I miss playing the vanilla version on modded servers :(
    So is it worth about 20 bucks?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.