Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Alan Kertz confirms no in-game server browser on PC.

• 99 results
    ds8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
    SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Well, that sounds shitty.

So how is it going to work in the console version then?

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By flaminghobo
    @528seven said: 

I imagine they'll use the Bad Company 2 system of just placing you in a server. 

I'm not bummed at all by no in-game server browser, since I'm aware of how the menu system works in BF3. The issue I have however is that if you lose your internet connection you are not capable of playing Battlefield 3 at all since the game's menu is the Battle Log site itself.
    RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Battlelog is actually great. Like really, really good. Probably the best server browser-thing I've ever used (everything you want is there, and it's about 10 times faster then any previous BF browser). So don't worry man.

I should probably add that the 'really fast' part is totally correct. It's much faster to go to Battlelog > login > pop server list > join > get in then it is in BFBC2.

ds8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ds8k

I'm assuming it'll work similarly to something like Quake Live. This still makes me extremely uneasy.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By CL60

Battlelog thing worked fine in Alpha, so this doesn't even matter.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By blueduck

Wow  this sucks.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By benjaebe

I didn't mind the Battlelog at all. At least it worked. The server browser in BC2 was barely functional even during the best of times.

ds8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ds8k

@Ertard said:

Battlelog is actually great. Like really, really good. Probably the best server browser-thing I've ever used (everything you want is there, and it's about 10 times faster then any previous BF browser). So don't worry man.

I should probably add that the 'really fast' part is totally correct. It's much faster to go to Battlelog > login > pop server list > join > get in then it is in BFBC2.

This makes me feel better. DICE certainly doesn't have the greatest tracklog when it comes to server browsers. I still remember that disaster that was the BF2 browser. The damn thing crashed my computer more than it should have.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RIDEBIRD

@ds8k: I would not be surprised the reason they went this way is because they figured they could code a better browser in HTML(5?) then they ever could in C+ or whatever that thing is built with.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DonPixel

Pre-Order cancelled, EA is putting so much shit with BF3 I won't bother.. I'm going with CS Go.. I might even dare to MW3 if it comes with dedicated servers.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By AhmadMetallic

This is great news  

@ds8k said:

@Ertard said:

This makes me feel better. DICE certainly doesn't have the greatest tracklog when it comes to server browsers. I still remember that disaster that was the BF2 browser. The damn thing crashed my computer more than it should have.

I agree with Ertard. 
    in-game server browsers in Battlefield games always sucked. Slow, laggy, unresponsive and dysfunctional. Their filters didn't work 100% and they were all twitchy and unpleasant to use. 
    Battlelog.com proved to be extremely fast, clean and efficient during the alpha trial. It loads the game faster and is more responsive than ingame browsers by a wide margin 

I for one welcome our new Battlelog overlord. 

@FlamingHobo said:
    @528seven said: 

I imagine they'll use the Bad Company 2 system of just placing you in a server.
    The consoles have a server browser
    RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RIDEBIRD

@DonPixel: Trust me - I've been playing PC games for 18 years, a hell of a lot of online shooters, reviewed a slew of them - and it's a damn good server browser. You'll be happy with it, and it's faster, not slower.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DonPixel

@Ertard said:

@DonPixel: Trust me - I've been playing PC games for 18 years, a hell of a lot of online shooters, reviewed a slew of them - and it's a damn good server browser. You'll be happy with it, and it's faster, not slower.

I was in the alpha too I didn't get to screw arround with the server browser as you know there was only one map and one mode.

There is manily three reasons for my decision:

1.- It is not just the server browser, Origin linked to all versions (including retail) - In game soldier/name linked to origin persona, and most likely a sea of DLC. Also the stupid EA PR pissing contest against MW3 and their constant lying about the reason why BF3 and ToR will not be on steam.

2.- This is more personal but: I've been a PC gamer for long also, I have 380 hours of battlefield 2 on record. I spent 5 mins literarlly in a jet... 90% of the time I was BF2 where in Infantry maps. The same can be said about BC2 I spend 90% of my time (not little) in Arica, Oasis and White pass. Recently I'm having serious fun with CS source, DoD source and Mw2. Perhaps I was doing it wrong all this time and I needed an infantry/arcade/arena shooter... who knows as long as I'm having fun.

3.- Red Orchestra 2 is coming - Not really sure here because the original is mostly a snore fest for my taste.. yet aparently Tripwire lernt the lesson and they are going more arcade while still a very PC centric/tactical/hardcore shooter. Also we all PC gamers know tripwire is awessome I want to suport them instead.

So.. yeah I'm not feeling like trowing $60 at EA right now to reward their shitty beavior, I won't use the stupid "boycott" line but sure I'm not longer getting it at launch and at $60.. Amazon's janouary discounts here I come.

Don't get all this wrong.. its apersonal decision, bf3 is awessome and most likely people it's getting their cash worth, that's for sure.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By august

@DonPixel said:

Pre-Order cancelled, EA is putting so much shit with BF3 I won't bother.. I'm going with CS Go.. I might even dare to MW3 if it comes with dedicated servers.

They just announced dedicated servers for MW3.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By emergency

@DonPixel said:

I lol'd. I can't help but read this post in a 12 year old huffing voice.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DonPixel

@emergency said:

@DonPixel said:

I lol'd. I can't help but read this post in a 12 year old huffing voice.

Chillax bro.. read the longer post I did in which I express my considerations.

and I'm 30 years old.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RIDEBIRD

@DonPixel: All valid points. I can't say that I like the linked Origin thing either, especially not if you seriously will not be able to change your name. Fuck, I have old nickname on my EA master account from when I was 13 years old (it's as bad as you think), and I can't change it!

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Donos

Well, that's kind of annoying. I can understand wanting to route all these things through battlelog, but not if battlelog isn't part of the game.

Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Torrim

Am I the only one that has never had much luck with server browsing? I've found the trend of pushing a button to find match results in me playing faster and with less headaches. I can understand if you're on a clan and want to run a server, but all too often I found my self on a server with an overzealous "no noobs" mod or arbitrary rules "crouching knives only" MW1 servers that made me tired of PC gaming for a while. I guess I don't find the value in server browsing because I never found the appeal and only headache, maybe I was doing something wrong all along.

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By George_Hukas

I was telling people this when it was in beta and people either didn't believe it or were blown away by how absurd this is.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @cide said:
    I was telling people this when it was in beta and people either didn't believe it or were blown away by how absurd this is.
    How is this absurd? ingame server browsers gave us nothing but headache with their slow unresponsive functionality 

Battlelog has a fresh web-based server browser that is quick and efficient, and it launches the game 10 times faster than the game connecting to a server from an ingame browser
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Subjugation

@Torrim: Hardcore crouch snipers only servers. There are some ridiculous combinations out there.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Spoonman671

Weird.

dyram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dyram

I'm just going to chip in and say that Battlelog is a great server browser, and the game loads insanely quick.

That said, to me it's not an argument of no in-game server browser or not, it's an argument of an in-game interface or not. Massive sudden changes to the game executable architecture notwithstanding, the Battlelog system of launching into the game from the website means that the actual client is supremely limited in capability and function, and things like options for the game and whatnot are hidden behind actually joining a running, live server, spawning in (no menu access when dead, only the respawn screen), and then navigating to the settings and all of the other options for the client. What if people have crashing problems that can be fixed by specific configuration changes? Are they forced to find the configuration file, purposefully hidden away from them, and change it themselves there? Why take away the main menu for making these selections? Is the plan, instead, to add some sort of configuration tool that you have to run first, adding extra steps to playing the game right?

In the alpha, I assumed that the Battlelog system, and its many limitations, were simply due to the game being in an alpha state, and that the game itself would ship with a proper game menu/launcher that would load the website within the client, in addition to the browser-based Battlelog functionality. The way this sounds, that won't be the case and that makes me fear for the client UI menu. While in the end, this won't hurt the game too badly and shouldn't prevent anyone in their right mind from purchasing the game, it seems they may be trying too much too quickly. We can only hope that they sort the bugs and disadvantages of Battlelog versus a normal in-game server browser.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DonPixel

@august said:

@DonPixel said:

They just announced dedicated servers for MW3.

That's good news indeed, COD4 still has some crazy modes servers runing strong nowadays.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Brendan

The ridiculous ups and downs being experienced by Battlefield fans at every scrap of news has been entertaining. Thank you.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By theguy

This doesn't bother me...

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By mikemcn

Battlelog was fine, I don't trust DICE to make an actual server browser anyways.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By samfo

Read the article, not so bad.

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By George_Hukas
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    @cide said:
    How is this absurd? ingame server browsers gave us nothing but headache with their slow unresponsive functionality  Battlelog has a fresh web-based server browser that is quick and efficient, and it launches the game 10 times faster than the game connecting to a server from an ingame browser
    Absurd in the fact Battlelog isn't integrated into the game. Its really not the most elegant option, to be frank, it looks pretty ghetto launching on multi-monitor setups as it flickers and changes my resolution. Maybe you hold more stock in the word "absurd" than I do. They didn't say they were boycotting the game, or "fuck Dice", or something about MW3, they just said it was absurd.

What does it load 10x faster than? You played BF3 PC with an in-game browser? Do tell!
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By ajamafalous

I thought it was just a temporary thing in the alpha, because, you know, it was an alpha. I refuse to believe there is any reason they couldn't implement all of the "great Battlelog functionality" in-game.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @cide said:

What does it load 10x faster than? You played BF3 PC with an in-game browser? Do tell!

No, i played BF:V, BF2, 2142 and Bad Company 2. They all had server browsers that made me punch the baby punching bag i have hanging next to my PC 

the alpha stage server browser Battlelog.com on my 8600 GT and AMD Athlon was much faster and more responsive to use than any ingame browser in any Battlefield, and it loaded up the game insanely fast.
    Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Vodun

Considering the weakest part of every BF game so far (for me) has been their server browsers I don't see this as a problem. On release they're always super unstable and for the older games I went with 3rd party browsers when I could so this is pretty much the same as that.

From what I experience in the alpha the game boots up and shuts down really quick so it doesn't really pad on any more time. What did annoy was the need to have Origin running, but they've said that won't be a requirement so I'm hoping that will be true. But even that is only a minor hassle as it started up pretty quick as well.

Joru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Joru

This is taken very out of context. The game has a server browser in Battlelog.

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
    NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By NoCookiesForYou

@Joru said:

This is taken very out of context. The game has a server browser in Battlelog.

Thank god for at least that, but it's still pretty messed up that you have to exit BF3 to change servers.

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
    NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NoCookiesForYou

Also you have to launch Origin to go through Battlelog to start Battlefield 3? Great, add more ways that EA can screw up.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38  Edited By Marz

While the battlelog was neat during the Alpha, I can't help but think this is vulnerable to a cyber attack, you take out the login page and you take out the game.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Binman88

Not a huge problem for me, especially once I realised this doesn't mean there will be no server browser at all, just that you have to access it outside of the game.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By hoossy

beh... not a big deal.  I'm sure DICE feels that Battlelog will serve our needs better, and as far as the consoles go.  In game server searching is really the only way it could work.  Especially since 360 doesn't have a browser period.   

But... I don't have a pc anyways... 

Joru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Joru
    @Verb4tim: It isn't exiting the game really, it's more like Quake Live. The speed of you getting into match is the same or even faster than if the server browser was just one of the in-game menus.
    Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Liber

I really liked Battlelog, it was so simple.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#43  Edited By PhatSeeJay

This is kinda why I liked the alpha testing. It felt faster and more fluid.

@Demize99tweeted:

Battlelog IS the PC main menu. You go straight from Battlelog to playing. No splash screens, no menus. Just straight to the playing.

So yeah. I'm not too happy that there isn't an ingame one for when you're done with the round, but if things goes fast and you can skip splash screens and all that stuff: Sign me up.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By scarace360

Well ive come to the conclusion Im not gonna buy the game till it comes to steam. Maybe be soon maybe never But im sure as hell not using this origin bullshit.  

Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Liber

@scarace360 said:

Well ive come to the conclusion Im not gonna buy the game till it comes to steam. Maybe be soon maybe never But im sure as hell not using this origin bullshit.

its not that bad actually, it just sits in your tray and you never see it.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@cide said:
    How is this absurd? ingame server browsers gave us nothing but headache with their slow unresponsive functionality Battlelog has a fresh web-based server browser that is quick and efficient, and it launches the game 10 times faster than the game connecting to a server from an ingame browser

Exploits via web interfaces are a reality. If EA really wants this functionality then they could just as easily build a browser into the game's UI like they did earlier with NFS HP. Pushing customers out to a web based login isn't the way to go at all.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By scarace360
    @Liber said:

@scarace360 said:

Well ive come to the conclusion Im not gonna buy the game till it comes to steam. Maybe be soon maybe never But im sure as hell not using this origin bullshit.

its not that bad actually, it just sits in your tray and you never see it.

Dont care i have my principals and this goes against them. Ill probably play DOTA2 and the new CS instead.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Pinworm45

Makes no fucking sense that you have to exit the game to change servers. How hard is it to add a GUI to the game that simply loads Battlelog from the background and then joins that server for you? I could code that shit myself. 

It's not gamebreaking or anything but this is a weird ass decision.

Sputty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Sputty

The web browser works better than any Battlefield web browser so you shouldn't be worried. In alpha the game launched really well, tabbed out perfectly and allowed you to do stuff in the time it loaded.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#50  Edited By Sogeman

This wouldn't be a problem if the game was on Steam since you have the browser right in the overlay. Does Origin have a browser/overlay?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.