Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

New Screenshot Coming Out of GDC - Supposedly PS3 Version

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Talking about a new Anti-Aliasing solution, based upon a method the PS3 is known for...

Fullscreen Pictures can be checked out at www.Battlefield3.nl

Picture 1
    Picture 2
    Picture 3

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

We introduce a new technique for subpixel reconstruction antialiasing(SRAA). The core idea is to extend the success of MLAA-style postprocessing with enough input to accurately reconstruct subpixel geometric edges. SRAA operates as a postprocess that combines a G-buffer sampling strategy with an image reconstruction strategy. The key part is to sample the shading at close to screen resolution while sampling geometry at subpixel precision, and then estimate a superresolution image using a reconstruction filter. That superresolution image is then filtered into an antialiased screen-resolution image. In practice, the reconstruction and downsampling occur simultaneously in a single reconstruction pass. Our results demonstrate that SRAA can approximate the quality of supersampling using man using many fewer shading operations, yielding a net 4-16x speedup at minor quality degradation compared to shading at each subpixel sample.

With this AA technique, DICE gets the similar results to 16x Supersample AA at a fraction of the cost. The MLAA-style postprocessing is what PS3 exclusives use for AA, so it's highly likely this method came to be thanks to RnD for further optimization of the PS3 version.

If the PS3 version looks as good as these screenshots suggest... just WoW! And all of that stuff is supposedly destructible too...
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Jayross

This bodes well for the PS3 version of the game. Can't wait until tomorrow when the embargo lifts.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i gotta feeling 
    that tonight's gonna be a good night 
    that tonight's gonna be a good good niiiight

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By big_jon

Let's hope the 360 version looks this good.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Seppli

Apparently this isn't PS3. I guess I confusing something or another.  It's not even sure if that's legitimately BF3 or just something they whipped up for tech-demo purposes. Also isn't coming out of GDC, but from some other event which happend earlier this year.MLAA is a AMD/ATI postprocessing AA solution (which the PS3 is capable off) and SRAA is Nvidias counterpart which has been incorporated into their newest graphics cards apparently. Check out the PC sub-forum on the official EA UK Battlefield 3 forum, if you want to know more.

Sorry for the false alarm. Kinda expected the reveals to happen today and not tomorrow (embargos!!!) and am starved for anything Battlefield 3. Hopefully tomorrow will be a more substancial news day without crazy fans like me having to scrape up crumbs from everywhere. Nontheless - Frostbite 2 sure looks the part.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Seppli

Also - I just conjured above post from reading other non-reliable forum goers posts on the subject matter, so take it all with A ROCK OF SALT!

SRAA might very well be feasible on both AMD and Nvidia GPUs, as well as consoles. I have no friggin in-depth knowlege of such things.

P.S. That rooftop looks eerily like it's cockful of Mirror's Edge assets. Those airducts and whatnot.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Pie

Oh Seppli, you fool

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Seppli
    @Pie said:
    " Oh Seppli, you fool "
    Fools have more fun in life, because everything wrong can feel right! And sometimes being wrong tastes just that much better.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By natetodamax

We introduce a new technique for subpixel reconstruction antialiasing(SRAA). The core idea is to extend the success of MLAA-style postprocessing with enough input to accurately reconstruct subpixel geometric edges. SRAA operates as a postprocess that combines a G-buffer sampling strategy with an image reconstruction strategy. The key part is to sample the shading at close to screen resolution while sampling geometry at subpixel precision, and then estimate a superresolution image using a reconstruction filter. That superresolution image is then filtered into an antialiased screen-resolution image. In practice, the reconstruction and downsampling occur simultaneously in a single reconstruction pass. Our results demonstrate that SRAA can approximate the quality of supersampling using man using many fewer shading operations, yielding a net 4-16x speedup at minor quality degradation compared to shading at each subpixel sample.

I understood maybe five words in that paragraph. 

I guess that all means the game will look wicked purrty like?
    Redsox44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Redsox44

There are some soldiers down in the bottom right by the cars. Awesome. Looks like they're about to breach the door. Gotta say that's some crazy scale.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By mikemcn
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " i gotta feeling that tonight's gonna be a good night that tonight's gonna be a good good niiiight "
    I wonder how good Will.I.AM is at battlefield.... hmmmm
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Redsox44 said:
    " There are some soldiers down in the bottom right by the cars. Awesome. Looks like they're about to breach the door. Gotta say that's some crazy scale. "
    dude good find !! 

@Mikemcn said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " i gotta feeling that tonight's gonna be a good night that tonight's gonna be a good good niiiight "
    I wonder how good Will.I.AM is at battlefield.... hmmmm "
    not too good, he uses autotune
    p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By p_p_o_d

yeah I think one of the DICE devs said they where messing around with MLAA on ps3 a while ago.  

DICE sure is awesome.  

also its 2011 and the god damn Unreal engine still has never had any kind of AA on ps3.  where the Unreal MLAA epic?   add it to UE3 in time for batman.   its right there in the official SDK.  dont be scared.   (unless somehow MS payed you off and got anti aliasing exclusive for this generation lol)

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By KaosAngel

I doubt it.  The PS3 isn't as technical as the 360 and most def not the PC, and it's even worse for multi-platform games.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SomeJerk

The PS3 is like the Sega Saturn, you can make miracles.

And only like three people on the planet know how.

Hope this means there's 4+ of them.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16  Edited By Geno

That's not PS3 version at all, it's a PC demonstration using different levels of AA, predominantly comparing SRAA with conventional MSAA and SSAA. SSAA obviously shits on everything, but it's performance heavy compared to either of the other two. 

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sooty

As already said, it's not the PS3 version, you are living in a dream world if you think you'll get anywhere near to 16xAA on current gen consoles. 

Heck, even a PC with say, dual GTX 580's would fall over playing the likes of Metro 2033 with 16xAA, multi or supersampling.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.