Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Next month's Close Quarters DLC was created before game release.

• 73 results
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Frame-by-frame proof:  

In a recent interview, DICE claimed that the Close Quarters DLC, a 16-player indoors-only 4-map pack for Battlefield 3, is being worked on as a result to the popularity of the XP-exploit map called Operation  Metro. 
    This video proves that they have had this DLC ready since before the game was released. It's a June 2012 map pack for an October 2011 game. The video is full of details that existed only in the Battlefield 3 Alpha build:
    • Engineer carrying a Support gun, and he didn't pick up a fallen Support's kit because he still had his repair tool, the tool that was changed to a blowtorch in the beta. 
    • SCAR-H with a round shotgun reticle instead of a crosshair 
    • Suppression disperses moments after it begins, the way it was in the Alpha
    • And more.
    They have had these maps ready or complete to a high extent before the game was even released, yet they released the game with 9 maps only and held on to these maps to release as DLC. You may ask me "clearly they weren't half ready back then, otherwise it would've been the first game DLC not the second, right?" Wrong, because DICE wanted to push the nostalgia-drenched BF2 maps (Back to Karkand) as a free pre-order bonus and as a first DLC pack to calm the fans who were angered by the laughable design of the stock conquest maps, and to simply counter the clustered funneling stock maps with something different, something better.

One more reason for me to skip this rip-off DLC. I bet it's already on my computer somewhere inside the dungeons of Origin waiting to be unlocked.
    strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By strainedeyes

Growl DLC creation time-frame growl.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

You expected better of our corporate overlords?

EA is pretty full of crap.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By The_Nubster

Dude, maybe stop playing this game. There are things in life other than Battlefield 3.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Akyho

I am trading my my Xbox version of Bf3 and on an my second EA Boycott. After the rent a server stuff., man BF3 for xbox is pointless to me. Those servers should list the thing you can do instead of cant.

So if I cared I am sure this would have been the final straw. More so I like PDW's havnt used one in BF3 since maps are usually big and Metro is just xp farm. However my thoughts of Close Quarters was PDWs/SMGs.

I give up in overall. Its simpler to and healthier.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By artgarcrunkle

@The_Nubster: He's pointing out anti-consumer behavior so people can do the responsible thing and not buy it. Dude maybe don't post if that's all you have to say.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Seedofpower

A trailer is designed for the masses. EA has proven time and again that they don't care for the core base. Well what do I know, lets just keep beating a dead horse.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By UnrealDP

It's not like the game felt like it was missing some vital piece of content at launch; I mean, what's the big deal about them working on it before the game came out? All this proves is that at some point they had a rough version of the game that had these features, but that doesn't mean it was being worked on as DLC. It's like if Diablo 3 gets DLC adding the Cauldron back in, and you claim it was DLC being worked on before the games launch simply because it was in old gameplay. That's just not how it works. Some features just don't work in early versions and it just makes more sense to add them back in when they're more polished or if the game feels fine without them. Don't be so crotchety, mate.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9  Edited By mesoian

Sure.

Don't buy it.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By chilibean_3

I wouldn't be surprised if they were made during normal development and wouldn't much care. Sometimes that's who these things are budgeted out. We can make these maps if we sell them as DLC. If they are being dishonest about when or why they were made then that's kind of lame but whatever. I think I'm happier with them not being included though. Metro is terrible and I don't want any more maps that are anything like that one.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By devilzrule27

It's a map pack for a game that had a perfectly acceptable amount of maps in the first place. Who gives a shit if it was worked on prior to the games release. I'm sure COD teams and other FPS devs work on map packs prior to the game release too. Who fucking cares. If you don't like it don't buy it.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CL60
    @UnrealDP

It's not like the game felt like it was missing some vital piece of content at launch; I mean, what's the big deal about them working on it before the game came out? All this proves is that at some point they had a rough version of the game that had these features, but that doesn't mean it was being worked on as DLC. It's like if Diablo 3 gets DLC adding the Cauldron back in, and you claim it was DLC being worked on before the games launch simply because it was in old gameplay. That's just not how it works. Some features just don't work in early versions and it just makes more sense to add them back in when they're more polished or if the game feels fine without them. Don't get be crotchety, mate.

This guy knows what he's talking about.
    adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By adoggz
    @artgarcrunkle

@The_Nubster: He's pointing out anti-consumer behavior so people can do the responsible thing and not buy it. Dude maybe don't post if that's all you have to say.

What "anti-consumer" behavior? EA selling a map pack?
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrKlorox

By "Created" you mean "conceptualized". Your wording makes it seem like you want people to think it was finished back in November.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By Dagbiker

@UnrealDP said:

It's not like the game felt like it was missing some vital piece of content at launch; I mean, what's the big deal about them working on it before the game came out? All this proves is that at some point they had a rough version of the game that had these features, but that doesn't mean it was being worked on as DLC. It's like if Diablo 3 gets DLC adding the Cauldron back in, and you claim it was DLC being worked on before the games launch simply because it was in old gameplay. That's just not how it works. Some features just don't work in early versions and it just makes more sense to add them back in when they're more polished or if the game feels fine without them. Don't get be crotchety, mate.

This, also you dont know that they were "ready or complete" just because there is some gameplay footage.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16  Edited By mesoian

@Dagbiker said:

@UnrealDP said:

This, also you dont know that they were "ready or complete" just because there is some gameplay footage.

Indeed. Certainly too early to tell. Steam releases in, what, 43 minutes? THEN you'll be able to tell.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King

Didn't explain why this isn't necessarily a bad thing, or at least why it isn't something we shouldn't find unexpected?

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By UnrealDP

@CL60: @Mesoian said:

@Dagbiker said:

@UnrealDP said:

Indeed. Certainly too early to tell. Steam releases in, what, 43 minutes? THEN you'll be able to tell.

Awww, you guys are too awesome, and the Steam thing too.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By hoossy

meh... I don't care. I think I got 60 dollars worth of bf3 goodness, especially with the free DLC for reserving a copy.

I however, haven't really gotten back into BF3 since the patch release, I just haven't enjoyed having to relearn the gunplay

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#20  Edited By Raven10

It's very obvious that Dice ran out of time when making this game. The huge launch day patch proved that. Most likely they worked on these maps during development, didn't have enough time to finish them, and they were cut. When certain map styles proved popular they took these unused concepts and developed them into working maps. Having a version of something doesn't mean it is finished or even close to finished. Game design is about iteration. Every game you've ever played has had content cut before it was released. Sometimes you design something and find out that it isn't fun, or come up with a cool idea and prototype it only to find out actually implementing it would take too much time. I wouldn't put it past EA to develop DLC for the game at the same time as the game itself, but even then the budget for the map packs, and the team creating them would have been different than the core B3 team and may not have been completed until around this time. Developers don't cut finished content from a game and then sell it back later as DLC. They make content designed to be DLC from the start or they add things like maps that had to be cut for budgetary reasons. Pretty simple.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

@Video_Game_King said:

Didn't explain why this isn't necessarily a bad thing, or at least why it isn't something we shouldn't find unexpected?

Basically, although not a ton of people agreed with me. I still don't trust the console manufacturers and EA to provide map packs that are properly priced for the content contained in them, but I still fail to see why the fact that they were created before the game's release is a problem.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Come on man. Maybe try just being positive about a game once in a while.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

This video proves that the footage in the video was taken from an old build. It does not prove when the maps were made. That is true for either proving when they were in development or when they were finished.

Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Totori

yeah and??

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By notdavid

There are plenty of examples of companies removing vital pieces of content from games so they can sell them later. This isn't one of them. It seems like this anger should be redirected to Capcom.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Questionable

Lets forget that drip feeding content is healthy for a game community.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mosdl

Or perhaps they are bringing back the old torch and this was rendered a few months ago before the patches? If all of this was already done it would have been released earlier. This doesn't really prove much, plus again who cares.

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kermoosh

if it's free like bad company 2 then cool, but I doubt this will be free. the objectives in metro don't even matter, it will be the same with this, too chaotic

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mosdl

@kermoosh said:

if it's free like bad company 2 then cool, but I doubt this will be free. the objectives in metro don't even matter, it will be the same with this, too chaotic

Paid DLC, just like BF2.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By PufferFiz

or they had stock of guys running and falling ( and people behind cover ) and just reused them since the point of the video is to show the map and I am sure that the people that made this video is probably a intern that didnt want to bother rigging models. Also the point about the gameplay is stupid that is all fucking set up to make cool trailer shots.

CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CABBAGES

it is getting a bit annoying these days all the crap about dlc either being on the disc or being made before the game was released.

The people who keep complaining about it should just not buy it and let us decide if we want to or not.

When i see these threads it makes me want to go and buy the dlc about 10 times.

I have bf3 for 360 and pc but i dont play on the pc much really but i might buy the dlc for both anyway just because.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By tim_the_corsair

And not a single shit was given that day

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Revan_NL

I gave up on BF3. I tried to play it for longer periods of time on several occasions but it just isn't as fun as Bad Company 2.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#34  Edited By Vinny_Says

If you somehow feel that BF3 released with a lack of content then I don't know what to tell you....I got my $60 worth and then some.

Also, I'm no industry insider but I've heard from many sources, including our very own Giantbomb, that when a game is completed and is awaiting certification, or whatever small enhancements until release day, a small group of devs will split off and begin to work on DLC (Yes DLC is a thing now, get over it) instead of having them sit on their asses and do nothing. This is something our british friend here probably doesn't know and that explains why beta welding torches and such are present in this trailer.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By N7
    Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

At what stage a map pack is developed is of no concern to me, we all knew that map DLC was going to be part of BF3. Activision were making far too much money for EA to simply ignore it and I don't really blame them. The only thing I care about is if it's worth the money.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By zeforgotten

I will still be playing it while everyone else is probably still crying about it.  
    I swear, every time it's like the end of the fucking world for some people when they see that some DLC was made before a game was released

Macabros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Macabros

I don´t care when a dlc is created or how it is delivered. If I buy a game I try to judge if, what is there, is worth my money or not. Same goes for dlc. They make an offer, I either accept it or not. Seems so simple to me.

Anybody who thinks, there were not enough maps in BF3 at launch should not have bought it.

SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SammydesinasNL

@AhmadMetallic: For what it's worth, I'd bet a 100 dollars on there being a New York map in the last map pack. Partly because one of the first screenshots leaked (on this forum) was in New York.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By droop

That video proves nothing. Models used for cinematic could be old ones and video of gameplay could be an internal build or a build before the suppression buff. That guy has absolutely no proof.

I am so fucking sick of people constantly whining and complaining about DLC being made during the development of the game. DLC is a great way to keep the game fresh and bring players back, and if you don't like, don't fucking buy it ..

tariqari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By tariqari

CQ looked like it was going to suck before this revelation so they still won't be getting me to buy it either way.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I fail to give any shits. I'm still having fun playing the game once or twice a week. I had zero interest in this map pack before, so this doesn't really change anything for me.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @SpaceInsomniac said:

This video proves that the footage in the video was taken from an old build. It does not prove when the maps were made. That is true for either proving when they were in development or when they were finished.

Why would a developer use an almost year old fundamentally-falwed build rather than the latest most patched and stable build for a trailer? 

@MariachiMacabre said:

Come on man. Maybe try just being positive about a game once in a while.

I'm positive about a lot of games and I love a lot of games, it's just that I can get pretty persistent and vicious when it comes to my favorite franchises getting shat on. I realize that I'm giving myself a Negative Nancy reputation but there's a lot to discuss about these games and I can't resist the discussion. 

Also this is relevant: 
    Hilarious!  
    Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Akrid

Doesn't prove a thing. As the dude was so intent on pointing out, those are cinematics. Not far-fetched to think that they'd use outdated models for it. That animation was probably made on that rig, and they didn't want to bother re-targeting it for a simple trailer.

Not only is it wildly speculative to gauge suppression the way he did, the supression change is fairly recent. Totally possible that they shot the gameplay in the trailer before the patch.

And hey, could easily be wrong, but I'm gonna say the SCAR-H did not have a shotgun reticle in the beta.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#45  Edited By big_jon

@The_Nubster said:

Dude, maybe stop playing this game. There are things in life other than Battlefield 3.

Really? What a profound and mature statement.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By sopranosfan

I quit playing when the rent-a-server began and am considering trading it in because I don't see me going back and I don't see EA abandoning something that is making them money. But honestly don't care about when the DLC was ready. The number of maps(especially including the free Karkand pack) was sufficient so I have no problem with that.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By KaneRobot

I'm already not buying any more EA products, so I'm not sure how else I can have an effect on anything.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What ridiculous assumptions ... I don't even ...

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jimbo

I think I played one round of Battlefield 3. Am best purchase.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Cloudenvy

@drag said:

What ridiculous assumptions ... I don't even ...

Hey, people need something to freak out about. It's been a while.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.