Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 4

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 29, 2013

DICE's popular multiplayer-focused shooter series continues, making its debut appearance on the PS4 and Xbox One.

Mission Accomplished - Battlefield 4?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Edited By Seppli

Poll Mission Accomplished - Battlefield 4? (172 votes)

Yes 69%
    No 31%

Did Battlefield 4 make its case?

Hint: Hell yes!

• 
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Seppli

Destructible skyscrapers? Collapsable streets? Full-on metropolitan urban setting? Insane flippin' scale confirmed. This Battlefield fan's wet dreams come true? Hell yes!

Thank you DICE! You guys are the gaming industry's foremost mindblowers.

P.S. How the hell is this supposed to scale down to 360 and PS3?

P.P.S. Tracers confirmed. Oh how I've missed thee!

P.P.S. Here's the stage demo as direct feed trailer.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Nope. Just another generic POS game.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By EquitasInvictus

Yeah I'm pretty happy they brought back Commander mode and having the destructible skyscraper was probably the best way they highlighted how they've been moving their destructible engine forward so I guess I'm on board for another Battlefield.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I'm way more interested in the Battlefront game using the same engine; though I'm worried about the dev team assigned + how big its budget is. It'll be like the BF2142 II that I always wanted (I hope).

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There were no submarines. That's all I wanted to see. I'm still looking forward to it.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Depends.

Did that skyscraper collapse in a scripted way? - No.

Did it collapse dynamically, and will it collapse differently if destroyed differently? - Yes.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tennmuerti: Will there be sky-scrapers falling down in every map just to keep people interested? - Probably yes. :)

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get too hype about Battlefield anymore because I left the clan life and don't really indulge in full-on teamwork like I used to in the old Battlefield days.

All I need is big maps, multiple factions and more depth to the general teamplay. Battlefield 4 is looking like the BF2 sequel DICE were not able to deliver with BF3, which is good. I'm not saying BF3 is bad, that game is a bomb, but it failed to deliver the full BF2 experience and that's understandable - new engine and all that.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
    deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No mocap dogs = piss off

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm excited but I need some multiplayer gameplay before I decide.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna bet a lot of money on the skyscraper thing falling down being a super scripted thing like it is in BF3 with the Antenna in the Caspian Border map.
    Basically end of the round = shit collapses try to stand under it.

Still, it's Battlefield so I'll play it.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also you out of all people should ease up on the excite hype because clearly Battlefield 4 is going in the design direction of Battlefield 3 which you dislike because of the teamplay.

Yeah yeah you'll reply with a long post full of big words about destruction and being Rambo but you still know I'm right. You'll still need to work with your squad and you'll die quickly without keeping your head down.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Seppli

@tennmuerti said:

Depends.

Did that skyscraper collapse in a scripted way? - No.

Did it collapse dynamically, and will it collapse differently if destroyed differently? - Yes.

It's obviously canned destruction. Everything in Battlefield games was canned thus far. It's just been a lot more granular and comprehensive than most other games. Truely procedural destruction is next-next gen kinda stuff, at least in this kind of fidelity. I mean that stuff would be so extremely granular and realtime physics simulation driven, I don't think that's anywhere near possible yet.

In BF4, the the destruction we've seen is just on an incredible scale, like that collapsable skyscraper, and on a new level of granularity, like the stuff we've seen in the subway station and collapsing the street from under the tank.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By big_jon

What did they show and where can I find it?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I've been sticking to the console versions, so getting a Battlefield that's on par with the PC multiplayers will make it seem even better to me. A crazy campaign would definitely help its cause. Although I do miss Bad Company's open, chaotic, destructive approach. Having a tank take out the house I was hiding in was so damn intense.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Tennmuerti

@seppli: You right. That's not exactly what I meant. What I was referring to is for example the difference between the destructibility of BF:BC2 where I can reshape the battlefield and say the tower on caspian border falling in BF3. If that building is something the players have to do over time by destroying key pieces of it's support and blowing up holes in walls and such cool (ie something that happens naturally due to player actions). But if it's just something that's just going to happen every match at a certain point meh.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I just saw that, and though it was scripted, it was amazing... God damn, any confirmation on consoles player count?

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

So. Since the proper "Battlefield" games are pretty much console games as well, then what happens to Bad Company? Are we ever gonna see BF:BC3?

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Funny.. when BF3 was shown at E3 for the first time I was unemployed. Now I had the fortune of seeing the EA conference from the DICE office. Sure was a wild feeling.

Hope you enjoyed what you've seen so far. There will be more I can assure you that. :)

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

I NEED to know how much that season pass will be. $50 PREMIUM?. Fffff..

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks like what BF3 should have been. I am looking forward to it.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Meltac

I still don't think the singleplayer looks all that interesting, from what I have seen so far, but they've won me over with the multiplayer.. goddamn, that looked cool!

hojufixter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The multiplayer looks real good!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Seppli

Just watched the demo as a crisp youtube trailer. Small arms damage on choppers confirmed? I think so. Hell yes!

Loading Video...

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By mosdl

@seppli: You right. That's not exactly what I meant. What I was referring to is for example the difference between the destructibility of BF:BC2 where I can reshape the battlefield and say the tower on caspian border falling in BF3. If that building is something the players have to do over time by destroying key pieces of it's support and blowing up holes in walls and such cool (ie something that happens naturally due to player actions). But if it's just something that's just going to happen every match at a certain point meh.

Blowing up small buildings isn't reshaping anything...

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Tennmuerti

@mosdl said:

@tennmuerti said:

Blowing up small buildings isn't reshaping anything...

But blowing up an entire small village of buildings, depriving the enemy of any cover and clearing away the whole forest is. As is creating multiple entryways and back doors to strategically important choke points. You could literally change the flow of the combat in BFBC2 on many maps from the way they start out and make them play differently, make a safe enemy approach path into a suicidal one, or make an approach where there was none before. The battlefield actually became devastated and felt like a war zone after people have been at it for a while.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Tennmuerti

@seppli: I'm actually pretty happy with some of the stuff they have been saying in the interviews, like that skyscraper moving the control point after collapsing and being able to drive a tank into the metro after that street collapses

I'm a sucker for driving tanks into tight places. :D

KittyVonDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By KittyVonDoom

Battlefield 3: Now with elevators.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't feel like it is different enough for me to justify purchasing the same game again. I have all of the maps and modes for BF3 and don't see myself moving on to something that I have a hard time differentiating from the current iteration.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By Giantstalker

Yes, and I'd even pre-order Premium for it if they'd let me at this point. This is coming closer and closer to the game I've always dreamed of playing someday.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Players vs. Skyscrapers mode and I'm in.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I'm way more interested in the Battlefront game using the same engine; though I'm worried about the dev team assigned + how big its budget is. It'll be like the BF2142 II that I always wanted (I hope).

You summed up my Battlefront feelings exactly.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Seppli

@subjugation said:

I don't feel like it is different enough for me to justify purchasing the same game again. I have all of the maps and modes for BF3 and don't see myself moving on to something that I have a hard time differentiating from the current iteration.

Small touches make a huge difference. Like there seems to be a whole lot more tracer rounds being shot akin to the Bad Company games, which will increase the quality of visual feedback tremendously. There seems to be small arms damage on choppers, which is a god-send in regards to balancing. Dual sights will feel bad ass. It looks like DICE has toned down the whole color tint and desaturation filter madness, as well as the insanely bright sun and crazily dark shadows. Suppression and other obscuring mechanics seem to be toned down as well. Blinding/crippling players isn't such a vocal point of the design. I hated that so much.

In short, I think BF4's mechanics will allow for players to play more heroically and be successful, because it isn't crippling players systematically and has a less rigid rock-paper-scissors balance. Of course all of this chould just be wishful thinking on my part.

As an avid player of games, it looks to me like BF4 will play plenty differently. It will feel like a whole new and hopefully all better game. That said - yes, it looks like a direct iteration of BF4. DICE is just refining what it has done before, whilst making it bigger and more badass, as well as increasing the strategic and tactical options with the commander mode and 5-man squads. I am playing plenty of direct iterations of games I enjoy, I don't see how this should be any different, especially when the BF4 MP demo is pretty much the most impressive thing I've seen at this E3.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

B4ttlefourld.

That's, uhh, all I've got.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Seppli

@giantstalker said:

Yes, and I'd even pre-order Premium for it if they'd let me at this point. This is coming closer and closer to the game I've always dreamed of playing someday.

Exactly. Full-scale metropolitan environments with a complete array of vehicles? Check. Destructible? Check. It's what I suspected will be possible after playing Markaz Monolith of BF3 Aftermath fame. A Battlefield dream come true. Over the moon about it.

boj4ngles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Yes

DonMFJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any news on joining servers as a squad with your friends? In my experience this does not work correctly in Battlefield 3, might have something to do with auto balance?

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had my fill of modern day setting first person shooters. Destiny on the other hand...

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By korolev

I am interested, but I'm worried the multiplayer will turn into what BF3's multiplayer turned into - a place where if you don't dedicate 12 hours a day to playing, you are going to be wasted by those who do. And there are so many who do. After 3 months, it was impossible for me to casually play BF3 - I got stomped on by people who were just more practiced than I was, who knew the maps inside-out, who had become so intune with the mechanics of the game that I couldn't possibly catch up with them. On the PC, BF3 "got serious" and I was left out of it from that point on. If I get BF4 I'm worried I'll run into the same problem - fun for 3 months, but then it becomes a hard-core crowd that I just can't fit into. I don't have the time.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Seppli

@korolev said:

I am interested, but I'm worried the multiplayer will turn into what BF3's multiplayer turned into - a place where if you don't dedicate 12 hours a day to playing, you are going to be wasted by those who do. And there are so many who do. After 3 months, it was impossible for me to casually play BF3 - I got stomped on by people who were just more practiced than I was, who knew the maps inside-out, who had become so intune with the mechanics of the game that I couldn't possibly catch up with them. On the PC, BF3 "got serious" and I was left out of it from that point on. If I get BF4 I'm worried I'll run into the same problem - fun for 3 months, but then it becomes a hard-core crowd that I just can't fit into. I don't have the time.

I have a different experience. I just get better at Battlefield games from iteration to iteration. Sure - when I don't play frequently, my overall control does suffer, but I know my Battlefield. Stuff like *don't overcommit* and *think lateral* and *keep pushing* never go out of style. Even after months of not playing, I usually am right back ontop of the leaderboards match-to-match. Mind you, there are sick players and groups of players out there, but in my experience, players that can best me consistently are few and far between (and between macro users and cheaters or just players with clan support - few of them are legitmately overpowered on their own). When it comes to aim and such, I'm far from a great player. I just know how to fight hard. Shoot first, ask questions later.

Regardless of genre, there's always kernels of truth you learn from playing a game which carry over into the next game and other games - even real life. You do well in games by getting a handle on virtues. Drive. Confidence. Patience. Awareness. Focus. Lateral/creative thinking. Empathy. Foresight. Discipline. And so forth. My problem is rather running out of virtues when I'm playing too much. Battlefield is definitely a game you can do very well in by knowing your virtues, even without map knowledge and crazy in-tune muscle memory skills.

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I've had my fill of modern day setting first person shooters.

There's really something to this. I was pretty disappointed that BF4 would be so similar to BF3, as far as setting goes. I mean, BF3 kinda did it all, ya know? With 29 maps and 11 game modes, what more could BF4 do?

My biggest gripe with BF3 is that the destruction was pretty lackluster. Bad Company 2 had way more destructible buildings, and the maps looked decimated after a match. BF3 scaled that way back. With BF4, it looks like there is a ton more destruction going on, and I'm really glad they highlighted that in the demo (especially when they took out the support beam and collapsed the tank into the underground garage, stuff like that is what I want to be able to do.)

So, based solely on the environmental destruction, I'm back on board with BF4. But here's to hoping there's a 2142 setting coming out of DICE next.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

I'm loving everything that I'm seeing in the live stream for this game. Even better, I'll actually have a gaming PC when it comes out so I won't be stuck on consoles this time. Even though I've only been able to play it on 360, Battlefield 3 is my favorite multiplayer shooter and I can't wait to upgrade and experience it with 64 people.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.