Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

Only 16% of sales were on the PC?

• 53 results
    philuk19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By philuk19

Only 16% of Bad Company 2’s sales were on PC format, as well, which puts the computer’s market share against the next-gen consoles in perspective.

http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2010/03/08/bad-company-2-tops-game-chart/

I thought DICE had said that the PC version had sold more, or somthing similar? I thought the PC version would have been abit more in terms of sales percentage. This isnt a big deal of course but makes me wonder were are all the consoles players if they bought the game lol.
    Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Reuben

What I heard was that the PC version had more people playing the game online, not more sales...

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Pinworm45

Those sales don't account for digital distribution (like steam, d2d, xfire) which is becoming more and more popular. 

Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Azrail

probs equal or more to actual sales 

one of the reason peeps use to say pc was dying, cuz digital distribution was counted

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By meteora
    @Azrail said:
    " probs equal or more to actual sales  one of the reason peeps use to say pc was dying, cuz digital distribution isn't counted "
    Fixed.

You'd think they would count digital distrubution by now, at least for major distrubtors lile Steam.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic

yeah they should count the digital distribution sales too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Valve doesn't release sales numbers to anyone and that's the end of it. Unless that policy changes, those sells will never appear in any official statistic (or only as a very rough estimate). The top seller list Valve puts out has no concrete numbers attached to it.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jimbo

Even 16% seems pretty healthy.  MW2 was about 3% or something wasn't it?

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By mracoon
    @atomic_dumpling said:
    " Valve doesn't release sales numbers to anyone and that's the end of it. Unless that policy changes, those sells will never appear in any official statistic (or only as a very rough estimate). The top seller list Valve puts out has no concrete numbers attached to it. "
    I assume DICE/EA would know how many copies of their game were sold on Steam but I understand what you're saying. I'm kind of sad Valve don't release numbers because I'm sure that'd finally stop people saying that PC games are dying.
    Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Azrail
    @Meteora: thank u mommy, seriously  

shouldn't type when i wake up
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Cirdain
    @Pinworm45 said:
    " Those sales don't account for digital distribution (like steam, d2d, xfire) which is becoming more and more popular.  "
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By meteora
    @Jimbo said:
    " Even 16% seems pretty healthy.  MW2 was about 3% or something wasn't it? "
    I'm pretty sure it was more, but then again there was like 4 million pirated copies of the bloody game for the PC.
    Sn1PeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Sn1PeR

To play online on the pc you need a unique cd-key -- therefore if more people are playing BC2 online on the PC then more people bought the game on the PC.  Pirated copies of games w/o lan/dedicated server support (no hamachi) are only for the singleplayer, unless of course you're on a 360... 

I personally don't know anyone who bought the game at a physical store -- Steam is how everyone I know buys every pc game.

kheldorin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kheldorin

Even if you don't take into account digital downloads, 16 % is quite low.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xyzygy

Can you pirate the game and still play online? because if you can that might count as well.

Talesavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Talesavo
    @kheldorin said:
    " Even if you don't take into account digital downloads, 16 % is quite low. "
    What kind of retarded logic is that? Unless you have solid numbers about how much was sold digitally, you wouldn't begin to know what is and isn't low. Think before you type.
    Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hunkulese
    @kheldorin said:

Why would you not take into account digital downloads when they probably account for most of the PC sales? You can't make a valid comparison without taking digital downloads into account. Saying 16% is quite low means nothing.

@xyzygy said:

" Can you pirate the game and still play online? because if you can that might count as well. "

I'm sure it's possible if you're the actual person doing the pirating. But I'm guessing most people who pirate games don't really know anything about pirating besides where to find the torrents. So in general no you can't pirate the game and play online. 
    kheldorin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kheldorin
    @Talesavo:

Based on http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/26736/NPD_90_Percent_Of_Paid_Game_Purchases_Were_Physical_In_Q3.php, digital downloads are growing but retail sales are still the majority. So if people thought that there are more PC players than console, they are wrong.

I would love for Steam to release their data. But sooner or later, you have to wonder why they don't and why they are now releasing it on the Mac. It is in their best interest to show how much "PC gaming has grown".

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By L33tfella_H
    @kheldorin said:

" @Talesavo:

So if people thought that there are more PC players than console, they are wrong."

people are under that assumption due to the fact that DICE came out and said that there were more people online on the PC version than EITHER 360 or PS3. So this isn't just us making random assumption here, someone has said that it did quite good early after release (dunno how it fares now).
    Talesavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Talesavo
    @xyzygy said:
    " Can you pirate the game and still play online? because if you can that might count as well. "
    No you can't, you need a valid CD key that get's auth'ed server-side. It's impossible to spoof it or bruteforce a key since the algorithm is too complex with a 16-28digit CD-key(something like 8.9 trillion different possibilities).
    Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Kohe321

Well there is a shitload of full servers (seriously, the list is HOOOGE), so it sold more than enough.

Oh, and not counting digital distribution = fail. Steam alone is a huge part of the sales.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hunkulese
    @Talesavo said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    No you can't, you need a valid CD key that get's auth'ed server-side. It's impossible to spoof it or bruteforce a key since the algorithm is too complex with a 16-28digit CD-key(something like 8.9 trillion different possibilities). "
    Nothing is impossible
    septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By septim
    @kheldorin said:
    Given what DICE have said about the PC online community it's safe to assume that the digital sales were quite high. If digital distribution matched brick and mortar it would put it at almost exactly 1/3 of the overall market share.
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gike987
    @kheldorin said:
    " @Talesavo:

Based on http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/26736/NPD_90_Percent_Of_Paid_Game_Purchases_Were_Physical_In_Q3.php, digital downloads are growing but retail sales are still the majority. So if people thought that there are more PC players than console, they are wrong.

I would love for Steam to release their data. But sooner or later, you have to wonder why they don't and why they are now releasing it on the Mac. It is in their best interest to show how much "PC gaming has grown".

"
    Thats all console games sold. So it has almost nothing to do with digital downloads on the PC.
    Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hunkulese
    @kheldorin said:
    " @Talesavo:

"
    That article means nothing. I know for a fact that steam and direct2drive don't go through the NPD and I don't think apple does either. So you're quoting numbers on digital distribution that don't include the 2 biggest digital distribution providers. If you want your opinion to matter you should probably look at what you're basing it off of.
    Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26  Edited By Hamst3r
    @kheldorin said:

" Based on http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/26736/NPD_90_Percent_Of_Paid_Game_Purchases_Were_Physical_In_Q3.php, digital downloads are growing but retail sales are still the majority."

That article lumps together, "portables, PC/Mac, mobile, and smartphones". As in, the PSP, the DS and whatever else is out there are included in that number. The PSP Go came out in October 09 and no one bought a PSP Go; and the DSi Shop is full of crap. There are a lot of DS and PSP handhelds out there though, so I think it's safe to say the handhelds are skewing that number towards higher retail sales and it's not an accurate number regarding digital sales for PC. :)
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Hunkulese said:
    " @Talesavo said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    No you can't, you need a valid CD key that get's auth'ed server-side. It's impossible to spoof it or bruteforce a key since the algorithm is too complex with a 16-28digit CD-key(something like 8.9 trillion different possibilities). "
    Nothing is impossible "
    It's already been hacked. 2 weeks, 3 days ago. client is up on a lot of torrent sites.
    nick69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By nick69

I buy all of my pc games on steam, so that's probably why the percentage is so low..

So far, everyone I know also buys their pc games on steam now.

sexy_nipples

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sexy_nipples

oh man oh man 

DICE said themselves that there are more people playing on PC than 360 and PS3 put together. Not only that but you can borrow or rent games for consoles and that still counts as a unique player. On the PC, each sold copy means only one player.  

Digital Distribution sales figures are not released to the public. I think it is the publishers decision if they want to release the figures, but they never do. 80% of games bought in 2009 for PC were digital distribution.  

Talesavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Talesavo
    @Hunkulese said:
    " @Talesavo said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    Nothing is impossible "
    You keep on quoting cliche'd phrases. For the rest of us that live in the real-world where you can't just sprout wings and fly, certain things are impossible. That's not to say technology in the future wont allow us to crack things, current hardware wont allow it. Maybe you should read up on it sometime.
    Talesavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Talesavo
    @jadeskye said:
    " @Hunkulese said:
    " @Talesavo said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    Nothing is impossible "
    It's already been hacked. 2 weeks, 3 days ago. client is up on a lot of torrent sites. "

#That's for single-player campaign only.
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By raiz265
    @jadeskye said:
    " @Hunkulese said:
    " @Talesavo said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    Nothing is impossible "
    It's already been hacked. 2 weeks, 3 days ago. client is up on a lot of torrent sites. "
    singleplayer.
    Buccura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By Buccura

I don't think this takes into account the digital sales, many of which were pre-purchases to get in on the beta.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Talesavo: @raiz265:  

I'd link you both to a forum i frequent but i'm sure it's against the TOS. multiplayer with pirated clients is a reality. 
     Alot of people avoid the server system entirely and use virtual private networks (VPNs) to play online with pirate clients. I've personally done this before when experimenting with code and networking features. 

absolutely genius when used for legal applications, ruthlessly effcient way of stealing if you're a pirate. People use the same method with MW2 and a number of other games too.
    Talesavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Talesavo

If you honestly think there's a widely used Server-Side hack to allow Multiplayer gaming and it hasn't hit pirate sites like nfohump/isonews or even more ambigous sites like torrentfreak, then you're delusional. Hell, they can't even run Hamachi based servers since the server-side network code is only available to specific partners, sanctioned by EA. You're talking out of your ass, but it's cute that you think you're privy to knowledge that the average pirater doesn't have access to.

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By DukeTogo

For the record, I bought mine on Steam.  Let's count our own numbers here.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hunkulese
    @Talesavo said:
    " @Hunkulese said:
    " @Talesavo said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    Nothing is impossible "
    You keep on quoting cliche'd phrases. For the rest of us that live in the real-world where you can't just sprout wings and fly, certain things are impossible. That's not to say technology in the future wont allow us to crack things, current hardware wont allow it. Maybe you should read up on it sometime. "
    I'm quoting multiple cliched phrases because I said nothing is impossible? Maybe if you had actually read what I had written. Obviously anyone with a search engine wont be able to play pirated games online but you're the one living in a fairytale world if you think there aren't people out there capable of playing pirated games online.
    Talesavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Talesavo
    @Hunkulese said:
    " @Talesavo said:
    " @Hunkulese said:
    " @Talesavo said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    Nothing is impossible "
    You keep on quoting cliche'd phrases. For the rest of us that live in the real-world where you can't just sprout wings and fly, certain things are impossible. That's not to say technology in the future wont allow us to crack things, current hardware wont allow it. Maybe you should read up on it sometime. "
    I'm quoting multiple cliched phrases because I said nothing is impossible? Maybe if you had actually read what I had written. Obviously anyone with a search engine wont be able to play pirated games online but you're the one living in a fairytale world if you think there aren't people out there capable of playing pirated games online. "
    No one said anything about playing pirated games online, you mouth-breathing inbred. Anyone with any common sense knows that you can find a plethora of Garena/Hamachi/Emulated servers to your heart's content for some games. The comment I made was in relation to bruteforcing a LEGITIMATE KEY to play on OFFICIAL SERVERS. Hopefully the capitalized letters will clue you in, since apparently you're rather daft.
    Talesavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Talesavo

Here's the math since I was bored:

36 combinations in 25 spots is 36^25, which is 808,281,277,464,764,060,643,139,600,456,536,293,376.

So you have a 1 in 808,281,277,464,764,060,643,139,600,456,536,293,376 chance of getting a legitimate key through brute-forcing for a 25 character key behind a 128-bit encryption. Ya, let's see that happen.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Talesavo: U mad?
    Chill out bro.
    Name calling ain't cool :(
    Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Hunkulese
    @Talesavo:  Is coming up with random nonsensical insults supposed to prove you're right? I guess I hit a nerve.
    sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By sopranosfan
    @Tennmuerti said:

" @Talesavo: U mad? Chill out bro. Name calling ain't cool :( "

This is one of the reason's I like this site even when we disagree we usually stay civil.  You can disagree but don't make it personal.
    kheldorin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By kheldorin
    @sexy_nipples said:
    " oh man oh man  DICE said themselves that there are more people playing on PC than 360 and PS3 put together. Not only that but you can borrow or rent games for consoles and that still counts as a unique player. On the PC, each sold copy means only one player.   Digital Distribution sales figures are not released to the public. I think it is the publishers decision if they want to release the figures, but they never do. 80% of games bought in 2009 for PC were digital distribution.   "

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-bad-company-2-pc/933150-updates-servers-now-soon-7.html#post13100931

"During peak US hours the Xbox 360 dominates the player numbers. When that post was made it was the Europeans playing and pushed the PC numbers higher.
    Also PC had higher numbers of players than Xbox 360 or PS3, not the two combined."

Dominates and that's just the Xbox not PS3 and Xbox combined

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By mosdl

Also, those numbers may be UK only.

Many people don't upgrade their PCs often and thus get games for their consoles, nothing new here sadly

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By iam3green

most likely didn't count steam/ other digital places. it just seems alright, i also think that it might be because people are waiting for an actual battlefield game like 2.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By JoelTGM

Hm, well I only buy my PC games on Steam.  I don't know anyone who still goes to the store to buy PC games, especially after MW2 a lot more people became aware of Steam.

Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Azrail

stores barley even have pc games anymore...

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By TheHT
    @Talesavo said:
    " mouth-breathing inbred "
    That is one weak ass insult.

I'm sure a significant number of sales were via digital distribution.
    Talesavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Talesavo
    @Hunkulese said:
    " @Talesavo:  Is coming up with random nonsensical insults supposed to prove you're right? I guess I hit a nerve. "
    Keep pulling stuff outta your ass Mr. 'I visit super secret forums to log onto multiplayer games with valid auth's.'

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.