Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

The Recon Barrage

• 57 results
    Jimmy775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Jimmy775

Has anyone else had this happen to them? M-Com station is at 100%. You and your squad are doing their job defending the M-Com. Enemy tickets are under 20! You are near victory. Then the entire attacking team spawns as Recons with mortars and brings the building crashing down around you, resetting their tickets to 75. 

Is this fair? Is there a counter to this? Should this be patched? Whatcha think?

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By jkz
    @Jimmy775 said: 

" Has anyone else had this happen to them? M-Com station is at 100%. You and your squad are doing their job defending the M-Com. Enemy tickets are under 20! You are near victory. Then the entire attacking team spawns as Recons with mortars and brings the building crashing down around you, resetting their tickets to 75.   Is this fair? Is there a counter to this? Should this be patched? Whatcha think? "

I agree here. Too often it feels like they take the cheap way out and just barrage it with mortar-strikes. I feel like they should reduce the amount of damage done to buildings by mortars, because I've lost too many games at the last minute to ass-holes spamming them.    
    Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Rockanomics

It was definitely a pain in the beta map, but I haven't noticed it be a problem anymore. 

Still it feels messed up that the defenders have to proactively go out and stop any potential snipers or tanks that have a shot at the building.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Skytylz

i've never done this before def gonna try it thanks

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

I also feel the same way. It should definitely be nerfed against buildings or something be made so it's not so cheap.

MotorbreathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MotorbreathX
    @Rockanomics said:
    " It was definitely a pain in the beta map, but I haven't noticed it be a problem anymore.  Still it feels messed up that the defenders have to proactively go out and stop any potential snipers or tanks that have a shot at the building. "

Really?  Defenders having to actually....defend?  Turtling is one defense that seems to not be working if you are getting bombarded by mortar strikes.  

Preemptively taking them out seems like a good defense if they are killing you.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jkz
    @MotorbreathX said:
    " @Rockanomics said:
    " It was definitely a pain in the beta map, but I haven't noticed it be a problem anymore.  Still it feels messed up that the defenders have to proactively go out and stop any potential snipers or tanks that have a shot at the building. "
     Really?  Defenders having to actually....defend?  Turtling is one defense that seems to not be working if you are getting bombarded by mortar strikes.    Preemptively taking them out seems like a good defense if they are killing you. "
    Kind of hard to locate all the recon guys though, given there's no indication of their location when they use the mortar strike, and given how large the maps are.
    Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Icil
    @jukezypoo said:
    "Kind of hard to locate all the recon guys though, given there's no indication of their location when they use the mortar strike, and given how large the maps are. "
    Hey, changing that sounds like a good idea =D
    TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By TomA

I agree, I think the mortar strike overall is OP. In theory it's a cool idea, but in practice it's often too powerful.

Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Garrus

I don't think it should be patched.

What I think should be patched is the amount of idiots playing as Recon per match and how long they can stay as that class. Honestly I don't care if it pisses off people, it's ridiculous when 70% of an entire team are recon class.
    By somehow countering how many of these cheap players there are, that will strike down 2 problems instead of just one. Less Mortar strike spam and less sniper spam. I understand clearly that standing out in the open is bad because of snipers.  
    What I do not like is how when I hide behind cover I am not really "behind" cover for a 270* angle or that when I make a dash Im still sniped down just like if I was standing in the open.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Spoonman671

I just want to see the cooldown time extended.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By raiz265

never saw them destroy a m-com station itself with the barrage, but the buildings seem to collapse WAY too easy most of the time. so the attackers can just lean back with an apc, a tank or mortarstrikes and just gun down the building from range without getting even close to it...

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Mortar strikes are really annoying. It just reminds me of Modern Warfare, and I feel like other people can have killstreaks but I can't. It's not exactly the same thing, but it's how I start to feel after being mortar striked repeatedly.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jkz
    @Icil said:
    " @jukezypoo said:
    "Kind of hard to locate all the recon guys though, given there's no indication of their location when they use the mortar strike, and given how large the maps are. "
    Hey, changing that sounds like a good idea =D "
    Possible, but I don't know how they could do it without making it seem ridiculous (hey look, the binoculars have a giant strobe-light mounted on the top), and the map is never the best indicator, since it's relatively close range, and most snipers call in mortar strikes from far away. I feel like reducing the damage they do to buildings would easily be enough, since that's my only issue with them.
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Jayross

If the entire team spawns with guns and rushes the building at the same time, is that overpowered? 

I think it is a fine tactic, as the mortar strike on its own isn't terribly powerful, but as with anything, the more you have of it, the more powerful it becomes, it is exponential.

But I think most bases have at least one crate that can't be collapsed, so if the enemy team can only mortar spam, they will most likely lose.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

I kinda wish they didn't add the feature to fully collapse buildings. Less realistic, I know, but it's more functional.

SmithSyndicate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SmithSyndicate

How about this proposal:

After 1 squad member uses a mortar strike, the cooldown is applied to the WHOLE squad.  Realistically, this would be the case.  Then you're limiting it to 1 mortar strike per squad per X cooldown.

Of course, then you have douchebags wasting your mortar strike charge.  But, really, that's not so bad.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cheapoz

Yeah Mortar should be per-squad. 

Also C4'ing the UAV is a sissy move too. Just get down there in the thick of it and bomb the damn thing!!

nethanel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nethanel

The only annoying thing about mortar strikes is when one guy sneaks in plants a charge, then the entire enemy team proceed to mortar that area for the next 5 minutes, making diffusing impossible.

skunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By skunk

Yeah, the multiple mortars are cheap. And actively seeking them out is not a viable tactic. They should just add a red laser to it and call it a night. This way the sniper is trading off his position for the mortar, I think that's fair enough. Plus, the thing only takes like 5 seconds to lock on anyway so it's not too bad for them.

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Quacktastic

I think it's only going to get worse when more attackers realize that they should be targeting the building instead of the crate.  All of the maps have some crates that you can't kill with Destruction 2.0, though.  So it's not totally broken.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By emkeighcameron
    @Garrus said:
    " I don't think it should be patched.  What I think should be patched is the amount of idiots playing as Recon per match and how long they can stay as that class. Honestly I don't care if it pisses off people, it's ridiculous when 70% of an entire team are recon class. By somehow countering how many of these cheap players there are, that will strike down 2 problems instead of just one. Less Mortar strike spam and less sniper spam. I understand clearly that standing out in the open is bad because of snipers.   What I do not like is how when I hide behind cover I am not really "behind" cover for a 270* angle or that when I make a dash Im still sniped down just like if I was standing in the open. "
    /thread
    Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Garrus
    @emkeighcameron: Yeah I know that sounds off topic but that is one solution to the problem and I justified a reason for my suggestion which works in hand with the problem at hand.
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By emkeighcameron
    @Garrus said:
    " @emkeighcameron: Yeah I know that sounds off topic but that is one solution to the problem and I justified a reason for my suggestion which works in hand with the problem at hand. "
    Dude I totally agree with everything you said in the first post

My "team-mate" snipers have cost me so many fucking games because THEY DON'T TAKE ANY GROUND, EVER. They just score cheap kills and don't contribute much to the attacking force, aside from bullshit mortar barrages. On defense, some good snipers are handy, but God, not for offense.
    nethanel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By nethanel

I rather have teammates who hide in a corner and snipe than teammates who steal my tank when I get out to repair it. Seriously this is the single most annoying thing in BFBC2

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @nethanel said:

" I rather have teammates who hide in a corner and snipe than teammates who steal my tank when I get out to repair it. Seriously this is the single most annoying thing in BFBC2 "

Naaaaah worse is if some retard grabs the tank and just rushes full speed into the middle of the enemy camp (without waiting for anyone else on the team) into anti tank crossfire and gets destroyed in 0.5 seconds...
    OR you are repairing some idiots tank when he is under fire and he chickens, starts moving back and you get a tank shell or a sniper shot in your face.
    OR you get into a heli and a wannabe pilot frags all 4-5 of your asses by crashing it 5 meters from he spawn.
    OR you get into an ATV with me ... seriously ... bad idea
    nethanel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By nethanel
    @Tennmuerti said:
    " @nethanel said:
    " I rather have teammates who hide in a corner and snipe than teammates who steal my tank when I get out to repair it. Seriously this is the single most annoying thing in BFBC2 "
    Naaaaah worse is if some retard grabs the tank and just rushes full speed into the middle of the enemy camp (without waiting for anyone else on the team) into anti tank crossfire and gets destroyed in 0.5 seconds... OR you are repairing some idiots tank when he is under fire and he chickens, starts moving back and you get a tank shell or a sniper shot in your face. OR you get into a heli and a wannabe pilot frags all 4-5 of your asses by crashing it 5 meters from he spawn. "
    Yeah but when idiots do all that they may not know better, can't always blame a noob for playing badly. Stealing my tank when I am repairing is just bad manners. I hate it when in conquest some guy camps our main spawn rigs all the tanks with AT mines spawn kills and steals the heli, I know people play to win but seriously they have to resort to that? 
    JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JokerClown88
    @Spoonman671 said:
    "I just want to see the cooldown time extended. "

Thats pretty much all that is needed imo.  You cant nerf a mortar strike.  BC2 is one of the more realistic games that I have ever played (waits to be assaulted by comments from that), and nerfing something that is highly destructive in real life is stupid.
    xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By xMP44x

I've never encountered anyone doing the 'Recon Barrage' technique. Maybe I'm lucky. But it does sound frustrating.

MotorbreathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MotorbreathX

I'm amazed by some of the responses.  Man up, seek 'em out, and kill them!  If anything the cooldown should be longer.  Don't take it away or make them show up on your map.  

Like said above, there's no difference between this and a good squad of medics/assault/engineers coming in and taking a point.  In fact, that happens to me way more than a mortared objective.  But, you know what? That's the game!  BF is different in that way and that's what makes it great.  Teamwork!  

nethanel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By nethanel
    @JokerClown88 said:
    " @Spoonman671 said:
    "I just want to see the cooldown time extended. "
    Thats pretty much all that is needed imo.  You cant nerf a mortar strike.  BC2 is one of the more realistic games that I have ever played (waits to be assaulted by comments from that), and nerfing something that is highly destructive in real life is stupid. "
    I think a global cooldown would be more effective. Probably shorten the cooldown slightly but make all Recon Mortar strikes enter cooldown when one is used, it does not make sense for an army to have 16 three man mortar teams. 
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Pie

A universal countdown is stupid, people would just use so other people cant. 
    A per squad cooldown is less stupid but it would discourage teamwork

LocatedSafe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LocatedSafe

I dont know why they didn't put the mortar  strike into a commander package like in BF2.  You had effective yet BALANCED artillery in that game.  I do like the idea of having mortar strikes switched to squad or team timers rather than individual timers - I don't think DICE anticipated the popularity of the recon class. 

nethanel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By nethanel
    @Pie said:
    " A universal countdown is stupid, people would just use so other people cant. A per squad cooldown is less stupid but it would discourage teamwork "
    How about both a global and individual cooldown. The mortar system and its cool down works as currently implemented, but there has to be a preset amount of time before a second mortar strike from the same team can be called. Meaning Player A and B call in mortar strikes, both of their cooldowns start but only one mortar strike is shot, with a time gap between the first strike and the next one.  
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By AhmadMetallic

havent noticed it really..

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Pie
    @nethanel: When I fire my Mortars I want them to hit straight away, not a minute after
    white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By white

This is why in the previous games only 1 person could call in mortar strikes - and that was the commander or the guy manning the artillery turret in BC1.

Anyway, leveling buildings is a legit (and welcomed) way to taking out terminals. In the past there were issues whereby it was impossible to breach and clear a terminal cause everyone was just turtling on that last console. At least now you have the chance to actually do something about it.

Jimmy775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By Jimmy775

The problem with the mortars as far a I can tell come from the lack of risk involved.  Other options for blowing up M-coms/buildings have a good balance of Risk and Reward.

• Engineers must be closer to the M-Com and leave a trail of smoke leading back to their position
    • C4 must be used right ON the M-Com
    • Grenades must be thrown/shot pretty near the M-Com
    • Tanks & helicopters while powerful are incredibly visible and each have their counters already

The Recon Mortar seems to have no weakness. You take no risk by being able to be so far away and your mortar does not give away your position. In addition if someone were to spot your location they still need to get to you which either requires running around the outskirts of the map to avoid being sniped by said Recon and thus taking incredibly long to do so or run directly at them which is not advisable. 

I really wish i had better data to report but it "feels like" about 12 mortars will collapse a building that may have had one or two holes blown in the walls already (per the norm of any Rush match).  I'm just judging based upon the number of impacts i remember hearing/seeing. If anyone has any hard data this discussion could become a bit more useful.
    nethanel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By nethanel
    @White:  Actually mortar strike was available in BFBC1, just that the support class had it and the range of the strike was significantly less, plus it hardly damaged armored vehicles 
    LocatedSafe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By LocatedSafe
    @Jimmy775:  

I think you hit the nail on the head with this.  The basic problem with mortars is that they are not sufficiently risky to use based on how powerful they are.  While changing the timing mechanics of the weapon would reduce the amount of mortar spam another approach might be to enforce stricter L.O.S and range rules on Mortars as well as increase they time they take to prime.  By forcing Recon players to obtain an unobstructed view of the target as well as close in for optimal mortar accuracy you increase the risk that Recon players are exposed to.  Increasing the mortar priming time (the time it takes to lock the target in while using the binocs) adds to this.  In my mind it should take as much time to lock in a mortar as it does for an engineer to reload the rocket launcher (the first one). 

By assuming more risk the Recon class would get to retain the lethality of the mortar while appeasing the general consensus that mortars are too powerful for what is required to use them (ie- that they're a cheap trick)
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By turbomonkey138

Really cheap way to to get 75 tickets back .... oh well

LocatedSafe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LocatedSafe

I would argue that yes - having an entire team switch to recon in order to bombard an m-com with mortars, as their tickets wind down, in order to progress is a cheap abuse of the mechanic, and not at all what DICE had originally envisioned. I think that if they had intended this to be a common place mechanic they would have just given every class the ability to call mortar strikes.   That's just my opinion though.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By white
    @nethanel: Wasn't the binos for a predator missile? Or am I dreaming that?
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By jakob187

I think...you must not have played Battlefield 2. 

At least it's not a Commander constantly teamkilling you with artillery strikes. 

Also, I haven't run into this problem once in my time with the game.  Maybe I'm doing something right?

nethanel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By nethanel
    @White: The Mortar in BC1 was a handheld thing that looked like this 

No Caption Provided
    dantheman1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By dantheman1515

What me and my squad usually do is to go on the offensive with 20 tickets left when defending. 1 medic, with an assault class, and 2 specialists with smgs and you should be able to rid the area of snipers.

Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Azrail

its only op when both sites are in buildings 

but yes when it happens its dumb and unbalanced

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By white
    @nethanel: Oh that. That's for support yo. But yeah okay.
    nethanel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By nethanel
    @White:  Yeah in BC2 they took away the mortar from support gave him a defibrillator and named him medic. The reason why they was no barrage in BC1 was that you had to call the strike relatively close to your targets, not from across the map like you can now. 
    Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Garrus

I just witnessed this first hand again, me and 2 full squads tried to hold down the last crate before we'd move across the map on Port Valdez and suddenly the building starts creeking when we noticed like 7 mortar strikes worth of explosives came down. Same case, these guys were on last 10 tickets etc.

Cheap bastards can go die in a house fire.

I say again, the structure of which the sniper classes must be organised and controlled. Seriously I really do think that Recon should be limited to 4 sniper riflemen and the rest of the team can go recon if they want, they should only be able to use what they already have for weapons and not be able to use mortar strikes, or just control the amount of recon players all together.

I mean, honestly, controlling recon player amount, how many times do you actually see a sniper get off his arse and actually act like a recon player, not a sniper?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.