Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

"VIP" code.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Branthog

So, more of this bullshit just like Mass Effect 2 had. Am I to understand that - just like Mass Effect 2 - this code is only accessible for the account that redeems it? That is, my brother who rooms with me while attending school won't be able to have access to the same content that I do, even though we own a full copy of the game?

If that's the case, that's an awful lot of bullshit. You shouldn't have to buy extra copies of DLC for each account when you legitimately own the game and only one person will be playing it at a time. That'll quickly turn me off of all games that pull that bullshit.

cooger10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By cooger10

You can always play on the same account

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Branthog
    @cooger10 said:
    " You can always play on the same account "
    I'm not going to share my account with anyone and XBL already has a mechanism to allow for people who use the same systems to share content that they have rightfully purchased (content is tied to the buying account *and* to the system on which the license is currently activated). 

It seems that publishers are starting to work around that by instituting this "first-buyer code" (which is bad enough) content that (as far as I can tell and as seems to be the case on ME2) requires re-purchase of the content for each and every person that uses it - just as if they had bought the game used (which is even worse).
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By jakob187

There's no form of split-screen, or even an XBL setup like Halo 3 or Left 4 Dead 2 where multiple people can play on Live with the same account.  Therefore, assuming that a company would put that kind of code in the box and allow multiple accounts to access it is a little...odd. 

It's just like any form of downloadable Arcade game.  That's bound to an account, not the Xbox. 

Welcome to digital distribution.

Bindings1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bindings1
    @Branthog: Right there is your problem you only bought 1 copy of the game. Therefore 1 code for a single XBL account. Don't worry young Padawan, you will soon learn that EA is releasing the VIP membership on XBL for your brother to download at a later date. It will cost him money tho.  It makes perfect sense why they do it this way. They need to make money to keep making games that we like to play and future DLC. So instead of selling the game with a code you can give to your friends and they can give to their friends and so on. They issue 1 code that is a single use code so that everyone buys a new copy of the game. It's brilliant!  But to save yourself $60 wait till the VIP membership is released on XBL and have your brother purchase it for $15. Problem solved.
    KennyPowers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KennyPowers
    @cooger10: Bumfights.  BFK 4 life
    kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kermoosh

why do you have the inability to share an account with your bro?
    my bro and I have been sharing one for years

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Jadeskye

you only bought one copy of the game so you only have the right to one account. 

look up licensing agreements (software) on wikipedia. Games follow this rule more and more lately.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By neoepoch

Well as long as the account is still on the Xbox any other account, on the same xbox, can use the DLC or Arcade games. As soon as you move the account though, the other people on that box no longer have access to that material. At least that is how it used to be. With these new VIP codes, they may prevent access for other people, unless the just let you access DLC for free.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Branthog said:
    " So, more of this bullshit just like Mass Effect 2 had. Am I to understand that - just like Mass Effect 2 - this code is only accessible for the account that redeems it? That is, my brother who rooms with me while attending school won't be able to have access to the same content that I do, even though we own a full copy of the game?  If that's the case, that's an awful lot of bullshit. You shouldn't have to buy extra copies of DLC for each account when you legitimately own the game and only one person will be playing it at a time. That'll quickly turn me off of all games that pull that bullshit. "
    Choose who wants the DLC and play it on that account, otherwise stop  bitching because you aren't making an effort to fix it.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrKlorox

I rented it today on 360 and my copy's VIP code was unused... so lucky me.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Branthog
    @Bindings1 said:

" @Branthog: Right there is your problem you only bought 1 copy of the game. Therefore 1 code for a single XBL account. Don't worry young Padawan, you will soon learn that EA is releasing the VIP membership on XBL for your brother to download at a later date. It will cost him money tho.  It makes perfect sense why they do it this way. They need to make money to keep making games that we like to play and future DLC. So instead of selling the game with a code you can give to your friends and they can give to their friends and so on. They issue 1 code that is a single use code so that everyone buys a new copy of the game. It's brilliant!  But to save yourself $60 wait till the VIP membership is released on XBL and have your brother purchase it for $15. Problem solved. "

I understand that you're probably just being sarcastic in your apparent support for EA's behavior, here. However, you still essentially encapsulated the problem in that paragraph above, perfectly. EA is circumventing the way content is almost always handled on the 360. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever, as you claim it does. Nobody is talking about "giving the code to their friends, and so on". We're talking about EA negating the ability to have content bound to the account that purchased it and the system it was licensed and registered on. For example, that is how those of us with multiple systems are able to play on any system in the house and everyone else in the household doesn't have to pay multiple times just so they can play it. (You use any system you want and they use the one machine it is bound to). 

We're not talking about redeeming the same code multiple times. We're talking about allowing access to the already purchased content in the same way that all other XBOX 360 content is available (except recent EA stuff, like Cerberus).

If you think this is sensible, then I hope you have a separate paying Netflix account for each person who lives in your household and a separate cable account and subscription for  each person. If not, then you are clearly robbing those companies of their rightful revenue.

@jadeskye said:
    " you only bought one copy of the game so you only have the right to one account.  look up licensing agreements (software) on wikipedia. Games follow this rule more and more lately. "

This is incorrect. DLC is bound both to the purchaser's account and to the system it was licensed on. The purchaser's account can use the content anywhere on any machine, ever. As long as the account is logged in. Additionally, any other account can log in and access the content, as long as it's on the same physical machine that the license is on. For example, if you have an account named "John" and an account named "Joe" and John buys content on one system, he can log in and access that content on that system. Or another system. or any system. Joe (or any other user/account) can use the content John bought, as long as he is on the machine John bought that content on.

I'm not really sure why there is any confusion about this. If you have four people in your family and each person has their own account, you don't have to buy an XBLA game four times. Or buy Assassin's Creed II DLC four times. You buy it once and all can access it.

The issue here is that EA has started to circumvent this by tying purchased content down ONLY to the account. Period. I have not had a chance to test this yet with BFBC2 (which is why I posted to ask about it), but this is what they apparently did with Mass Effect 2 and seems to be the same under BFBC2.

@neoepoch said:
    " Well as long as the account is still on the Xbox any other account, on the same xbox, can use the DLC or Arcade games. As soon as you move the account though, the other people on that box no longer have access to that material. At least that is how it used to be. With these new VIP codes, they may prevent access for other people, unless the just let you access DLC for free. "

Right, you seem to be the only person who grasps this simple concept, so far. Content is bound to the account and the hardware, separately. This is simply how XBOX 360 content works. EA circumvented this in Mass Effect 2 by tying the content directly to your EA account and XBL account, so I am almost absolutely positive that only that account can use it. Since the store seems to be having a lot of problems still, I haven't been able to test it on BFBC2, but so far the wording and experience seems exactly the same and therefore hints at the likely chance that this VIP code is exactly the same. However, EA didn't require that I provide them with my EA account information, so MAYBE this is not the same as the ME2 limitations.

Either way, it's a really shady and underhanded practice by EA to circumvent traditional 360 policies. I understand it's a cross between a selfish money-grab and a supposed need to "protect against used sales" (which itself is shady as fuck, since you have every right to sell something you own) -- but allowing their DLC to be treated like all other DLC on the 360 would in absolutely no way affect their attempt to restrict used sales. The code is only usable once and it will therefore only be locked to the person's account *and* the piece of hardware... so unless the used copy is sent to someone who magically also owns your physical machine, they're not going to have the benefit of the same DLC you purchased.
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Branthog
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @Branthog said:
    " So, more of this bullshit just like Mass Effect 2 had. Am I to understand that - just like Mass Effect 2 - this code is only accessible for the account that redeems it? That is, my brother who rooms with me while attending school won't be able to have access to the same content that I do, even though we own a full copy of the game?  If that's the case, that's an awful lot of bullshit. You shouldn't have to buy extra copies of DLC for each account when you legitimately own the game and only one person will be playing it at a time. That'll quickly turn me off of all games that pull that bullshit. "
    Choose who wants the DLC and play it on that account, otherwise stop  bitching because you aren't making an effort to fix it. "
    You seem to be willfully oblivious to the issue we're discussing. With the exception of EA's two recent titles, you do not need to "share" an account  for other people on your physical system to access DLC or XBLA items. That is simply not how (except for these two EA titles) 360 content and licensing works. This isn't something I can make an effort fix, because I'm not part of EA.

I understand that you ahve absolutely no concept of preserving your rights as a consumer and that's fine. I and others, however, are perfectly wthin our right to bitch about their business practices where we find them to needlessly impact our ability to rightfully use the content as legitimate customers and purchasers of their products.
    Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lilbigsupermario

i wish the VIP code can be used for multiple accounts on one console... :( my sis can play the VIP code multiplayer maps using her PSN account, but when I use mine, it asks for the VIP code even if we both use the same PS3 console :(

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By JokerClown88
    @Branthog:
    The code is originally ment as a "bonus" for buying a retail copy of the game.  It is ment to deter those who purchase games used as developers don't see a cent of resells.  Unfortunatly a side effect of that is that the code can only be used once.  There needs to be  way that the content that those "VIP" codes can be used to unlock content universally on a single console though.  Not just a single account...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.