BioShock 2 Single-Player DLC Announced, Detailed

• 56 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

If you've been waiting patiently for 2K Games' promised story-driven DLC for BioShock 2, then prepare to wait just a tad longer. The first bit of narrative-driven content for the game has been officially announced and it's coming this fall (at an unspecified price for all versions of the game).

Minerva's Den, as its been dubbed, will put you in the boots of an all-new character in a mission to help Brigid Tenenbaum "unravel" a dictator's hold on a new district: Rapture Central Computing. New weapons, new plasmids, upgraded Splicers, and even a "never-before-seen" breed of Big Daddy await in this previously unexplored hub. 

In a statement 2K president Christoph Hartmann harped on the fact that this DLC will offer more narrative and story. He also made it clear that this bit of content will be the last for BioShock 2. Oddly enough, it might be the first for people like me, who only dig BioShock for its haunting atmosphere and characters and not necessarily for its multiplayer, which has been receiving all the additional content love thus far.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

If you've been waiting patiently for 2K Games' promised story-driven DLC for BioShock 2, then prepare to wait just a tad longer. The first bit of narrative-driven content for the game has been officially announced and it's coming this fall (at an unspecified price for all versions of the game).

Minerva's Den, as its been dubbed, will put you in the boots of an all-new character in a mission to help Brigid Tenenbaum "unravel" a dictator's hold on a new district: Rapture Central Computing. New weapons, new plasmids, upgraded Splicers, and even a "never-before-seen" breed of Big Daddy await in this previously unexplored hub. 

In a statement 2K president Christoph Hartmann harped on the fact that this DLC will offer more narrative and story. He also made it clear that this bit of content will be the last for BioShock 2. Oddly enough, it might be the first for people like me, who only dig BioShock for its haunting atmosphere and characters and not necessarily for its multiplayer, which has been receiving all the additional content love thus far.
#2 Edited by lolwot (257 posts) -

deleted

#3 Edited by Crono11 (1645 posts) -

I could go for some Bioshock 2 DLC.

#4 Posted by KyleDaniels (75 posts) -

Awesome I'm definitely down for some more single player Bioshock !

#5 Posted by Baconbot (115 posts) -

A pleasant surprise!

#6 Posted by shadowcomplex (10 posts) -

want?

#7 Posted by RawRockKills777 (26 posts) -

I have not touched Bioshock 2's singleplayer at all.  In the time I rented it I only played multi....... does that make me a bad person?

#8 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -
@RawRockKills777: no it makes you a freak
#9 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2720 posts) -
@RawRockKills777: You're crazy.
#10 Posted by RawRockKills777 (26 posts) -

I know I know :(

#11 Posted by VoshiNova (1677 posts) -

Yay for more Bioshock!

#12 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

A new breed of Big Daddy no one has ever seen in a majority of Rapture despite traveling through pretty much every conceivable area in which they were both creative and active!? 

JINKIES!

#13 Posted by CountDog (45 posts) -

exciting news

#14 Posted by Lihtster (76 posts) -

I dont care much for Bioshock anymore... Loved the first one, and haven't finished the second one...

#15 Posted by Sephirenn (5 posts) -

I wasn't a big fan of #2 so this news isn't very important to me at the moment.

#16 Posted by Dark_Swordmaster (28 posts) -

Never played Bioshock 2. Didn't like the first.

#17 Posted by Crono (2653 posts) -

I enjoyed the 2nd one, was pretty fun - I never got to finish it though because my 360 died and I sent it back to gamefly :(

#18 Posted by Donkey_Kong (109 posts) -

I would be excited, but its been a long time and I dont know how much money im willing to spend. Depends on price and if i still have my gamesave honestly.

#19 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -
@Sephirenn said:
" I wasn't a big fan of #2 so this news isn't very important to me at the moment. "
Yup.  The game got way to repetitive way too quickly.  I will not be purchasing this DLC at any cost.  If you caught me back in February, I may have.  And 2k was wrong to focus on the multiplayer, considering how consistantly laggy the servers are.
#20 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Arg! I haven't played it yet. Waiting for a big price drop :D

#21 Posted by Jais (78 posts) -

I thought Bioshock 2 was better than Bioshock 1...  
 And this sounds good. I'll definitely buy it!

#22 Posted by FLYmeatwad (154 posts) -

Was going to pick Bioshock 2 up, but I'll probably just wait for a GotY edition now, I guess.

#23 Edited by Brackynews (4060 posts) -
@phrosnite: Dang son, it's already dipped to $30 on Amazon. Keep eyes open!
@LordXavierBritish: Big Daphne CONFIRMED!
#24 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -
@Brackynews: 
Bigger... and also I live in a shitty country...
#25 Posted by nickux (1385 posts) -

I don't care what people say- I still think Bioshock 2 is the superior game. More single-player content is like ummm double-double good.

#26 Posted by darkjester74 (1575 posts) -
@RawRockKills777 said:
" I have not touched Bioshock 2's singleplayer at all.  In the time I rented it I only played multi....... does that make me a bad person? "
YES!  Yes it does make you a bad person!!!
#27 Posted by Mysour (26 posts) -

Nice, I wonder when that'll be released on PC.♠

#28 Posted by Yummylee (21502 posts) -

Sounds exciting! With so much new diversity from BioShock 2, I'm hoping it'll be pretty lengthy. Hopefully around 3-5 hours least.

#29 Posted by Ezkilla (44 posts) -

glad i've kept the one

#30 Posted by paulwade1984 (477 posts) -

Doing the "gatherings" with the little sisters was the most obnoxious slice of game design i've ever experienced. I will not be venturing through the halls of rapture again.

Shame really. B2 had some great moments. I loved wandering the halls as the little sister. So fucked up seeing the world as they see it. Then the flashes of reality are very jarring.

#31 Posted by fallen_elite (380 posts) -

I would totally buy this if the damn game stopped crashing on my PC. 

#32 Posted by InfamousBIG (3200 posts) -

Bioshock 2 doesn't need to exist, let alone milking money out of gamers with DLC.

#33 Posted by Branthog (7577 posts) -

I'm not sure I can get excited about DLC for a game that I'll have finished about a year before the DLC comes out, unless it's all story. There was nothing so magical about the gameplay itself that I'm itching for more of it. This goes for most non multiplayer games, frankly.

#34 Posted by Djratchet (669 posts) -

Finaaallly. Forget multiplayer, this is why I haven't sold my copy yet.

#35 Posted by mostman (248 posts) -

I need to play BioShock 2.  It's about 10 deep in my queue right now.

#36 Posted by lafigueroa (37 posts) -

Hmm, not sure there's much to keep me interested in more Bioshock stories.
#37 Posted by themw007 (19 posts) -

I love Bioshock but I wish they would spend more time on single player DLC than their multiplayer stuff

#38 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -
@InfamousBIG said:
" Bioshock 2 doesn't need to exist, let alone milking money out of gamers with DLC. "
this
#39 Posted by DeF (4858 posts) -

A friend burrowed my copy ...and I still haven't even finished it (I was about to get the incinerate plasmid, so I wasn't even very far)

definitely interested in the DLC though, I probably got a little bioshock overkill since I just completed a platinum trophy playthrough of the first bioshock (survivor mode without vita chambers) right before BS2 came out. Then I played multiplayer a few months ago, it was actually quite awsome!

#40 Posted by Jeremy_x (447 posts) -

don't know if want.
#41 Posted by MrBubbles (764 posts) -

sweet bioshock 2 dlc

#42 Posted by JackSukeru (5910 posts) -

Might get it, if it's reasonably cheap and if it's good.

#43 Posted by Ignor (2372 posts) -

I really should try out the original game someday...

#44 Posted by SmithnCo (5 posts) -

Sounds like the best DLC, too bad that's it until 3...

#45 Posted by JimmyGilder (3 posts) -

Glad they're doing dlc on something other than the multiplayer. I might actually buy it.

#46 Posted by bybeach (4790 posts) -

I found Bioshock2 was just fine 'existing'. One of the games iv'e truly enjoyed playing, and thats nice simple validity. How or what some else thinks on whether something should exist or not is meaningless to me for just that. 

Some DLC will be nice, also. Unless it sucks, then I also will say that it should have no existance..not that it will mattter.

#47 Posted by jinxman (514 posts) -

I've finally figured out why I have never liked the thought of Bioshock 2, before and after it came out, even after decent reviews.  It feels like fan fiction to me.  I hate fan fiction.

#48 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2483 posts) -

So I saw this for $50 in GAME the other weekend, should I pick it up for the DLC?

Bear in mind I'm Australian & $50 for a game that's less than a year old is pretty crazy.

#49 Edited by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

Why the hate for the multiplayer on Bioshock 2?  It was fully competent...and moreover, it was fun as fuck!  I didn't buy the DLC yet, as I figured it would probably hit Deal of the Week status at some point. 

As for the single player DLC, totally interested as well.  I loved Bioshock 2, more than the first one in fact. 

@phrosnite said:

" Arg! I haven't played it yet. Waiting for a big price drop :D "
It's down to, like, $30 - $40...and even then, there's tons of specials that have been running and coupons.  Hell, there was a coupon in Best Buy's @Gamer magazine for, like, $15 off or something like that...when the game had already been dropped to $40.  You are missing out on a great fucking game if you aren't buying it.
#50 Posted by hookem1883 (27 posts) -

Good deal, can't wait 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.