Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Feb 09, 2010

Ten years after the events of the first game, Subject Delta is awoken and must unravel the mystery behind the Big Sisters and his own past in the ruined underwater city of Rapture.

How's Minerva's Den?

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By fjordson

Thinking about getting it, but I'm curious about the general impression on it from some Giant Bombers.

Blueman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Blueman

Bought it yesterday, and I'm about an hour in. It seems pretty good so far, but I'll have to play more to get a proper judgement of the game.

RhinoOfficial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RhinoOfficial

Just finished it. I highly recommend it. They story is great, especially the ending. The new plasmid and ion gun are worth it alone. It took me about 6-7 hours to complete on normal difficulty while exploring every nook and cranny.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

I wish I knew. Having some fuck ups with PSN and my billing information T.T

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#5  Edited By jacksukeru

I've also been curious about this, though it probably won't matter to me for a while since a friend is borrowing my copy of Bioshock 2 atm.

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By BunkerBuster

It gets the thumbs up from Steve "Hot Scoops" Gaynor so you know its one hundred percent gold!

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By leebmx
    @RhinoOfficial: Just finished BS2  - without giving me any spoilers does the story carry on from the end of BS2 (don't see how it could but you never know) and are you the same character or someone else?
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By 234r2we232

I don't know why we haven't had any Quick Looks for BioShock 2 :/

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By Yummylee
    @leebmx said:
    " @RhinoOfficial: Just finished BS2  - without giving me any spoilers does the story carry on from the end of BS2 (don't see how it could but you never know) and are you the same character or someone else? "
    You're a different character, but it just happens to be another Big Daddy who has his free will returned O.o. As for when the story takes places I'm not entirely sure. You're being advised along the story from Tenenbaum through this, so you'd think it's least between BioShock 1 and 2.
    ascholzk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By ascholzk

finished it, and Minerva's Den is as good as Bioshock 2 proper, if not better. i highly recommend buying it!! the ending was so incredibly well done.

Avatar image for holdenmcgreen11
    holdenmcgreen11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By holdenmcgreen11

Just finished it. The new plasmid and weapon were solid. The story was more akin to Bioshock than Bioshock 2 which is definitely a plus. There are new achievements, new audiologs and some cool stuff to find if you put in the extra time to explore every area. Certainly worth the $10.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By fjordson

Wow, lots of good responses. Seems positive everywhere I've checked. Thanks fellas, definitely going to pick this up this week.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By flaminghobo

Has it popped up on the GFWL servers yet, the last I checked it wasn't there.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By jakob187

Dood, this was some excellent DLC.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By fjordson
    @FlamingHobo said:
    " Has it popped up on the GFWL servers yet, the last I checked it wasn't there. "
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the PC version has been delayed until "a later date".
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By natetodamax
    @jakob187 said:
    " Dood, this was some excellent DLC. "
    How long would you say it is? I have a severe phobia of beating games/DLC quickly.
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By flaminghobo
    @Fjordson said:
    " @FlamingHobo said:
    " Has it popped up on the GFWL servers yet, the last I checked it wasn't there. "
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the PC version has been delayed until "a later date". "
    Ah, that sucks. Thanks for the info dude.
    Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Mystyr_E

how's the multiplayer community? I always liked the online but never bought any DLC and saw like 2 MP DLC's, plus Minerva, plus Protector it's like gah! too many point cards

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By fjordson
    @Mystyr_E said:

" how's the multiplayer community? I always liked the online but never bought any DLC and saw like 2 MP DLC's, plus Minerva, plus Protector it's like gah! too many point cards "

I consider myself a massive BioShock fan, but I've never had much fun with the multiplayer. Plasmids don't add as much as you would think to the gameplay in multiplayer, and there's usually a fair amount of lag. The limited weapon set also contributes to the overall dull experience.

And this isn't a blanket "BioShock 2 sucks!" sort of mentality. I thought the single-player was pretty damn good, but the online play just never clicked with me. It sounds like Minerva's Den is the best piece of DLC to pick up.
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By wrighteous86
    @leebmx said:

" @RhinoOfficial: Just finished BS2  - without giving me any spoilers does the story carry on from the end of BS2 (don't see how it could but you never know) and are you the same character or someone else? "

The story takes place during Bioshock 2.  It takes place after you last see Tenenbaum in the main game.  You play as a different Big Daddy and have a mostly unrelated and self-contained story.  One or two aspects of the story may possibly have relevance in Bioshock 3, but you won't be missing anything major if you skip this.  

However, the story in Minerva's Den is pretty well-told and poignant.  The new plasmid is awesome, but the new gun is pretty lame.  The gameplay itself is a bit... repetitive.  You'll notice the patterns in enemies fairly quickly.  Also, if you primarily fight with weapons, like I do, the DLC is really easy, as you get most of the weapons pretty quickly and with proper ammo and money use, you'll be pretty much unstoppable. 

@natetodamax said:

"How long would you say it is? I have a severe phobia of beating games/DLC quickly. "

If you're looking for a bit more Bioshock story (that is mostly stand-alone), along with some audio diaries, ADAM gathering, and Big Daddy fights, you can't wrong with this.  It's about 5 or 6 hours long, fun and more interesting plotwise than Bioshock 2 was.  I'm a bit of a methodical player though.  That's if you get all the Big Daddies and Little Sisters, and explore the place a bit.  If you rush through, you can probably do it in about 4 hours.  It's a bit formulaic, but if you want more of the same gameplay, that's what you'll get.

Ask me anything about Minerva's Den.  ;)
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By GunstarRed

I played up untill the second map area.. It ws really very good, more of the same and still fun. The achievements still were not registering  when I played it despite them saying it had been fixed on the site.  Now I have to  recover my gamertag if i want the first achievements again... thanks. Is  anyone else still having problems with the achievements?
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By fjordson
    @marioncobretti: I just started playing it last night. Achievements seem to be working alright, but I've only gotten two of them.

I'm loving it so far. The atmosphere seems more in-line with the first game, which I really like, and the new environments are really cool. Also enjoying the new Ion Laser gun.
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MeierTheRed

Sorry i'm late to the party, i just finished the DLC today. And i have to say it puts the main story in Bioshock 2 to shame. The pace is nice, the narrative from the audio tapes and the main characters is just so well done. Not to mention the ending. 

I really did not like the main story of Bioshock 2, i had to force my self through the game. Which is odd cause i loved the first Bioshock. But this DLC really bumps Bioshock 2 up many notches in my book.

If you own Bioschok 2, this is a must buy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.