Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Feb 09, 2010

Ten years after the events of the first game, Subject Delta is awoken and must unravel the mystery behind the Big Sisters and his own past in the ruined underwater city of Rapture.

Showing Mercy (Spoilers)

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By gosukiller

Just finished the game. Played like a Saint, so I saved all the little sisters and made no revenge killings.
    The first time I showed mercy was to Gracie, who later thanked me with rewards from Mailboxes and some extra dialogue. This felt like a nice touch. 
    But here comes my gripe with the game. After this I spared the other 2 guys, the guy in the train-room, and Alexander "The Great". 

I do think the game noticed it, since when Eleanor talks to me about how much of an example I am to her, the faces of Alexander and that other guy flash on screen. 

But, opposite to Gracie, I didn't hear a single word from anyone about this. Did my playthrough get bugged or did they just not write these 2 characters the way they wrote Gracie?

P.S.  
    Sofia Lamb survived my playthrough as well.

Avatar image for iamthedanwilson
    IAmTheDanWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By IAmTheDanWilson

I did the same as you. 
    After I spared Stanley and Alexander I never heard from them again.

Guess they just didn't write anything in for them which is kind of a bummer.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By flaminghobo

I was fairly annoyed when I found out there was an achievement for sparing all the Little Sisters, as well as sparing all three sub-characters. I had saved all the Little Sisters as well as Gracie and Stanley. I decided to kill Alexander the Great, due to the fact he had annoyed me more than any other character throughout the game and I felt the need to end his suffering. 

It does suck that Gracie was the only person to actually thank you for sparing her life, I would've liked to have heard a little more from the other support characters.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By natetodamax

Sofia Lamb can survive? How?

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By c1337us

I always play the good guy assuming I don't play through a second time as a dick.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gosukiller
    @natetodamax said:

" Sofia Lamb can survive? How? "

Well, I don't know what did it for me, but it would probably involve saving ALL the sisters and sparing the 3 main villains, since that is what I did. 
    NynJah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By NynJah

I'm still confused how letting Alexander the Great live is a good thing. Shouldn't ending his insanity and suffering be the good thing here?

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gosukiller
    @NynJah said:
    " I'm still confused how letting Alexander the Great live is a good thing. Shouldn't ending his insanity and suffering be the good thing here? "
    He might be insane, but last time I check good people don't kill the mentally insane.
    That being said, like you, I doubted myself thinking of the pleas of his sane counterpart. But when his insane version begged for his life I knew what the right thing to do was.
    Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Shinri

I killed Gil because he asked me to when he was a sane man. 

I think sparing him was the 'bad' thing to do, since you're going against his last sane wishes and damning him to stay in that tube for longer than he has to. Who says him begging for his life to be spared wasn't him just putting on a facade, anyway? He was probably giggling with delight after you left him alive.
    Paradigm13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Paradigm13

Agreed, I felt the right thing to do was to zap Gil, because his sane self was begging me to.  I actually started walking away before he played that last message, then I changed my mind.

Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Eelcire

Son of a... I killed Gil (Alexander) as I felt that was the 'good' thing to do. This was his final request as he clung to his sanity; leaving him as whatever he had become in the cold depths of Rapture, alone, seemed like it would be a bad thing. So now I've got to beat the game a third time as I missed the Savior achievement; my first play through was intended to be for good, and my second was to be bad. Guess I'll go for a speed run.

Also would've liked to hear about what happened to the other characters after you saved them. For all the development time and studios involved it seems there are too many holes left open.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Rockdalf

I killed Gil as well as I thought it was the "right" thing to do.  When I saw blood curl up in the tube, I felt kind of bad, but moreso in a "lesser of two evils" kind of way.  I actually thought it was a smart gameplay decision where you actually had to make a difficult moral choice.  Turns out when I looked up the achievement I was wrong. :(

Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Shinri

By the way, although I didn't get the Saviour achievement, I DID get the best ending with Sofia living. So... you don't need to spare Gil to get it.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Rhaknar
    @FlamingHobo said:
    " I was fairly annoyed when I found out there was an achievement for sparing all the Little Sisters, as well as sparing all three sub-characters. I had saved all the Little Sisters as well as Gracie and Stanley. I decided to kill Alexander the Great, due to the fact he had annoyed me more than any other character throughout the game and I felt the need to end his suffering.  It does suck that Gracie was the only person to actually thank you for sparing her life, I would've liked to have heard a little more from the other support characters. "
    same as me...i spared gracie, obviously, and also stanley which was just a petty little human afterall, but i killed alex because A) he was a monster now, no longer human and b) it actually felt more like a mercy killing.  it felt like the "good" choice... shame that once again games have to be so black and white with moral choices

i saved all the little sisters too, shame. oh well, no trophy for me
    CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CaptainObvious

I thought that killing Alexander the Great was a good thing.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Ghostiet
    @gosukiller said:
    " @NynJah said:
    " I'm still confused how letting Alexander the Great live is a good thing. Shouldn't ending his insanity and suffering be the good thing here? "
    He might be insane, but last time I check good people don't kill the mentally insane. That being said, like you, I doubted myself thinking of the pleas of his sane counterpart. But when his insane version begged for his life I knew what the right thing to do was. "
    It's pretty much like the decision in the first Mass Effect, where
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Rhaknar
    @Ghostiet said:
    " @gosukiller said:
    " @NynJah said:
    He might be insane, but last time I check good people don't kill the mentally insane. That being said, like you, I doubted myself thinking of the pleas of his sane counterpart. But when his insane version begged for his life I knew what the right thing to do was. "
    It's pretty much like the decision in the first Mass Effect, where
    "
    alex wasnt just insane, he wasnt even human anymore, he was some...thing in a giant glass case
    L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By L33tfella_H

I saved all the little sisters and spared Gracie and the other guy, but i killed Gil because as people mentioned, his 'sane self' asked you to kill him, and to not give into his pleas as they're not 'his' words anymore.

So when i realized there's an achievement for sparing all 3 people, i was kinda mad.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By I_smell

I saved 2 out o 3 like everyone else. I didn't even know Lamb could survive.

ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ocdog45

I though you had to kill Alexander the great, wasn't that part of the game? the guy who spent all the cash and turned the daughter into a little sister, i killed. but it stil gave me the ending where she said i showed sympathy. I didn't think the game had more than 2 endings to be honest.

Avatar image for killer_meatballs
    killer_meatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By killer_meatballs

I didn't know you had a choice to save Gil either.   I mean, it wasn't like you went up to him and killed him, I just followed the prompt on-screen.   
    And just like ocdog45 said, at the end of the game,  she said I showed sympathy.  I also killed Stanley, but spared Gracie.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

I was being good. For gil I was about to kill him but then i thought...am I supposed to? I really wanted to, but I just left and got the achievement :) 

and yeah, the developers were not thorough at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.