Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Feb 09, 2010

Ten years after the events of the first game, Subject Delta is awoken and must unravel the mystery behind the Big Sisters and his own past in the ruined underwater city of Rapture.

Wow, I can hear Everything!

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By immike

Is anyone else really impressed with the sound design in Bioshock 2 (both singleplayer and multiplayer). I can hear splicers so clearly in singleplayer including all of their whispers and footsteps. The same goes for multiplayer where having a headset really pays off when I hear footsteps, and know exactly how many enemies to expect. But, I tried it just with my surround sound speakers set to medium volume and can hear really clearly with those two. I think they did an excellent job with this. 

So far, this is the best use of sound I've seen in a game thus far. It adds both tension and awareness, but I'm curious...Are there any other games that have had such an impressive use of sound (other than music games of course)? Most First Person Shooters or Third person shooters usually have the strategical element of their sound lost in the chaos of firefights or simple lack of quality. What do you guys think?

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By I_smell

I think whatever they're doing to let you hear people around corners or in the next room is working really well, I can allways tell when there's a splicer somewhere near by and it drives me nuts.
    I don't think the sounds they used for rescuing n harvesting the little sisters are as good as in Bioshock 1 though.
    Bioshock 2
    Bioshock 1
    and for some reason I can allways hear the magic sparkly noise of a golden object. Like in random spots, really quietly. Maybe it's just a far away leak? I don't know, but I fucking hate that.

Oh, and it automatically loses points for not having JESUS LOVES ME THIS I KNOW, FOR THE BIBLE TELLS ME SO. And it was funny when I found the first circus of value, stood there for like ten seconds and it said nothing.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

Yeah, the audio is really good in that game. I especially hearing a Splicer singing/whistling/talking and not knowing where they are.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By Atlas

It wouldn't be a BioShock game without truly outstanding sound design.

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By immike
    @I_smell: Hmm, I believe they used that sound in the first Bioshock (rescuing the girls) because they were genuinely terrified of you. You were a stranger to rapture and they feared you would hurt them. The sounds for the second games are more accepting and comforting, because, as a big daddy, the girls trust you fully. Also, I was pretty disappointed with no circus of value music as well. :[ Also, I did not hear that sparkly noise you are referring to. Maybe I will listen for it next time.

@Atlas: Funny that I didn't notice it in the first one until I played the second one. I went back and found that the sound design was superb in that game as well. 

But yeah, it's reeeally good. Sneaking up behind a splicer while using their random comments to guide you to them is really satisfying. Then you find them scavenging a dead body, line up a headshot and pin em to a wall! Awesome!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.