Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

Any guesses for the 1912 music?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

I remember how Bioshock really brought me back in time with the old music in Rapture, and really made me enjoy the old music. I'm sure not many people know of good music from 1912 or before that, but if you do, or check it out, what kind of songs do you think we'll hear in Columbia? For an example, here's one.

I just think it's a good time to talk about this since I haven't seen it around, and I think it was an important part of the first and second Bioshock that this kind of aspect when going into Infinite is something I'm interested in.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By audiosnow

I'm a bit less than hopeful about the music selection. It was something I loved about BioShock 1 and 2 but my sincere appreciation for classic music drops pretty sharply prior to 1930.

That same factor played hugely into my love of Fallout 3 vs New Vegas. The music in 3 was fantastic, while I never liked the Roy Rogers-esque style in NV.

But I've faith in Ken Levine.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By DeF

it's alternate history so they're gonna have some hardcore g-funk gangsta rap up in this muh'fucka!

tinautomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By tinautomaton

@DeF: OR some siiiiiiiick dubstep by Skrillex. Imagine it -- sick drops, WHILE you drop

</sarcasm>

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By MikkaQ

Non-classical music pre-1930s tends to only have novelty value for me, I expect to be pretty amused by the music, but I imagine it'll all be pretty hokey.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zelyre

Sousa, Sousa, and... more Sousa.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lockwoodx

1912 was the year the RMS Titantic sank.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ltsmash

The only thing that comes to mind is "There'll Be A Hot Time In The Old Town Tonight":

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By ch3burashka

ALL yakety-sax.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By penguindust

Ragtime music, the precursor to jazz was popular at that time. So, lots of Scott Joplin. If you've seen the 1973 movie, The Sting, that's what to expect.

Also classical composer Igor Stravinsky was writing some of his most famous works then including The Firebird and Petrushka. Both of these pieces were penned before 1912.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bybeach

Maybe some early jazz and blues.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NTM

@lockwoodx: Yeah it was. I've been thinking about that.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By BBQBram

It's the overt innocence in those old songs that could be even more effective than Bioshock's jazzy swagger, when contrasted with such fucked up places.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Sackmanjones

I'm pretty sure this song was made pretty recently but fuck if they put this in here I would be so damn happy. Great  blues song and I don't even really like blues. Of course they have to kinda disorient it to make it sound like its older but thats fine.

EDIT: In all honestly I just kinda wanted to post this song, however I would still like it to be in there =)
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

If all the music's gonna be like that one song, I'll fucking hang myself while playing BioShock Infinite.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By MarkWahlberg

I would imagine there will be some strong similarities with the O Brother Where Art Thou? soundtrack. That's set about 20 years later, but a lot of the songs are traditional folk music that had been around for a while (Wikipedia says "Man of Constant Sorrow" was first recorded 1913).

My one objection to that, though, is the tonal similarity it would have to the original Bioshock. Even if they don't sound similar, the 'old timey songs provide atmosphere/ emphasis on the dissonance between cheerful music and brutal murder" thing has been done already. Bioshock did it, Fallout did it, Quentin Tarantino more or less invented it. I'm not saying they shouldn't have period-appropriate music, because they should, but I would hope they utilize it in a more unique way.

commonoutlier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By commonoutlier

40s music became my favorite "genre" of music because of video games like Bioshock (I think it was Fallout 3 that really did it for me, though), and I love to see how games use music to add to the experience (both designed specially for the game and from particular eras)...so I'm pretty excited by the prospect of even older music to be used in Bioshock Infinite. I think a lot of it will be patriotic, but I do hope they have some others mixed in, too. I'm not even sure where to start guessing as to actual songs that might be included. The songs most other people are posting are very cool, though :)

I kinda hope they have a song like Cohen's Masterpiece that plays a bigger role in the game.

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By jillsandwich

They're not bound to ANY era of music. In that first demo, there's a chick sweeping a porch singing Tears for Fears to herself, since things have been brought in from alternate dimensions/times from "tears" and all that jazz.

nippletwist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nippletwist

Probably some jazz. I don't think there were that many music genres back then haha.

Funny how music can make you love a game so much, it creates a nice atmosphere or something. Fallout 3 and Bioshock were great examples of it :-)

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By wrighteous86

Man, even posting that thumbnail is a spoiler...

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dangerloves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By Dangerloves

Back in those days, pre-mass production of vinyl records or Edison wax cylinders, musicians sold their sheet music in the same way a single would be sold. So it wasn't uncommon that music would be played as covers by other musicians.

Loading Video...

I want a pipe organ cover of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", I'm dead serious about that, I don't kid when it comes to Cyndi Lauper.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By uniform

@dangerloves said:

I want a pipe organ cover of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", I'm dead serious about that, I don't kid when it comes to Cyndi Lauper.

Yeah, I smiled when I heard that. Glad they used Cyndi.

Loading Video...

Girls Just Want to Have Fun @ 36:50. For those interested.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

some of the music i've heard from the game was period inappropriate but i doubt they and for that matter anyone buying this game really cares.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.