Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Aug 21, 2007

Venture into the mysterious, Utopian underwater city of Rapture and discover what has turned it into ruin in this first-person epic.

Should I Buy This Game Considering:

DECA555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DECA555

I rented it a while back when it first came out for the PS3 and I wasn't really blown away by it. The story and atmosphere were incredible, but i wasnt interested enough to even finish it (which is rare for me). After reading the article in PTOM regarding Bioshock 2, it made me want to go out and buy the game. Should I? 

breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By breton

You're asking whether or not you should buy a game you didn't like?

DECA555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DECA555
    @breton: not a game i didnt like. Just a game i didnt get into. 
    Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By Brundage

If you didn't get into it DO NOT BUY IT. If you want to try and get into it again rent it.

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Fosssil

How much progress did you make before you stopped playing? It's not an exceptionally long game, so you could probably complete it in another rental if you were so inclined.

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

You should at least finish the story. Its worth it.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By TheKidNixon

Something else to consider: how much of this game has been spoiled for you? This is one game where the narrative and the execution there of is without equal, but if you already know all the points that the game is going to make, it is pretty less impactful. I'd say rent it to finish it, it isn't really that long.

DECA555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DECA555

thats the thing. I didnt get very far into it and no kidnixon, the story remains unspoiled. If i am playing it again however, i do have the urge to purchase it. But with infamous and other games coming up, i just dont know. 

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By TheKidNixon

If there are games you're wanting to play more right now, I'd say go for those and then come back to BioShock at a later date. Who knows, it might get a retail discount in the meanwhile, but it will be waiting there.

DECA555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DECA555

i guess so. as long as i finish it before bioshock 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I recently bought Bioshock, I`m going to finish it soon, but I would advice for you to rent it again and see if you can get into this time, if not then don't buy it.

DECA555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DECA555
    @Bucketdeth: how much did it go for?
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By mordukai

The story and the narrative are top notch and they way they unfold is really something unique in video games. Now would you kindly rent the game and play it through this time!

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    DECA555 said:
    @Bucketdeth: how much did it go for?
    These days, it sells for $20 new, man.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By End_Boss

I rented and played Bioshock up until the final boss recently. The beginning and build-up of Bioshock were great in my opinion, but the "climax" leaves much more to be desired, what with its extremely frustrating "trial-and-error" moments. Good god. I got all the way to the final encounter and realized it was pretty much unbeatable because I hadn't played the rest of the game the way it had wanted me to. So I quit and returned the game. To this day I still don't know how the ending went. Maybe I'll just look it up on Youtube.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mordukai
    End_Boss said:
    I rented and played Bioshock up until the final boss recently. The beginning and build-up of Bioshock were great in ... [more]
    Please don't take it the wrong way but, wow! The end boss was so easy even on the harder level. I didn't even had to use any plasmids. You are the first one I ever heard saying they could not have beaten the end boss.  Please PM me and tell why you had suck a difficult time with the end boss.
    DECA555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DECA555
    @TheGreatGuero: $20 new? well then thats that. Why spend $10 to rent it for a week when for double, its mine?

Thanks GreatGuero! 
    maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By maxszy
    DECA555 said:
    i guess so. as long as i finish it before bioshock 2.
    This doesn't make much sense to me. You didn't really get into the first one, you are having reservations about going back to it because there' s other things you'd rather play, yet you are wanting to make yourself play it and beat it because you are excited for the second one? Why are you excited for BioShock 2 if you didn't really get into the first one? Atmosphere is a great thing, but it takes more than to get through a game.

I say play what you enjoy and want, and not put any time lines for yourself as to when you have to beat something by. It should be more enjoyable that way.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @DECA555: No problem, bro. You can probably even find it for $15 if you're okay with buying used games. Personally I really enjoyed the game, and can see why perhaps you didn't connect with it initially. The gameplay isn't the best you'll ever experience, by any means, but I think what made Bioshock so great was just the whole world and atmosphere built around it. The leaking, underwater walls of Rapture are brimming with a style that is all its own. There's also some cool story elements in there that you might not want to miss.
    Andborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Andborn

I would buy it, if only to discover the joys of well done videogame narrative. My only real complaint with the game is it's forgiving death/rebirth system, no real challenge....      unless you turn off the chambers of resurrection.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pause422

If you didn't get into it in the first place why would you ask others to try to convince you to buy it? I'd say rent it, it can easily be beaten in normal play hours within 3-5 days. Also, Bioshock will remain far better than 2 anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.