Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Aug 21, 2007

Venture into the mysterious, Utopian underwater city of Rapture and discover what has turned it into ruin in this first-person epic.

Something taken off from the demo?

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By zitosilva

Is the demo released for the PS3 exactly identical to the begining of the game?

I thought it was really weird... I mean, imagine yourself, you just entered a unkown underwater city, you're absolutely alone and a crazy thing with hooks on the place of its hands tried to kill you... after just killing someone in front of you. After all that you just walk up to a vending machine, grab a seringe and inject yourself with a unkown susbtance?
    *Kevin Pereira's" really?

Did they cut out something of the storyline in the demo or something? If that's all that there is to it then, at least to this part, the storytelling seems really poor... I just don't see reason enough to inject yourself with something you don't know about for no good reason.

But I'm also thinking, is there any chance my Ps3 hipcupped and skiped one of Atlas' lines? Maybe saying something about said seringe?

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Gunner

Nope, thats pretty much the beginning 15 minutes of the game.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By DualReaver

I think the demo leaves out the little sister rape scene.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheGTAvaccine
    zitosilva said:
    "Is the demo released for the PS3 exactly identical to the begining of the game?

I thought it was really weird... I mean, imagine yourself, you just entered a unkown underwater city, you're absolutely alone and a crazy thing with hooks on the place of its hands tried to kill you... after just killing someone in front of you. After all that you just walk up to a vending machine, grab a seringe and inject yourself with a unkown susbtance?
    *Kevin Pereira's" really?

Did they cut out something of the storyline in the demo or something? If that's all that there is to it then, at least to this part, the storytelling seems really poor... I just don't see reason enough to inject yourself with something you don't know about for no good reason.

But I'm also thinking, is there any chance my Ps3 hipcupped and skiped one of Atlas' lines? Maybe saying something about said seringe?"
    Actually, I think he says something about being able to make it in Rapture by using the upgrades. Could be wrong though.

Even if he doesnt, the rest of the game's storytelling makes up for it.
    TEAMHOLT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By TEAMHOLT

No, that was in the 360 version as well, and it was weird back then and it's weird now. The strangest thing is, I have a distinct memory of an early gameplay video where Atlas does instruct you to take the plasmid. Maybe I'm just crazy.

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Hey! You! Yeah you! Zitosilva!

STFU and enjoy your Bioshock
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Lies
    TEAMHOLT said:
    "No, that was in the 360 version as well, and it was weird back then and it's weird now. The strangest thing is, I have a distinct memory of an early gameplay video where Atlas does instruct you to take the plasmid. Maybe I'm just crazy."
    Atlas instructs you to use the plasmid in the full game, as I remember.
    BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

I don't know whether or not the PS3 demo is identical to the retail version, but the part you described is. In the full retail version you inject yourself with the Electro Shock plasmid with no prompting.

Honestly though, it is a video game set in an insane fantasy world - a degree of suspension of disbelief is implied.

BioShock certainly isn't short on quality storytelling.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zitosilva

Well, I planned on buying it anyways. I thought the demo was great (despite all the "ps1 pixels" discussion) and it looks beautiful.

Just thought it was a little weird considering how praised this was for its storytelling. But if it is really the only rough spot I can live with it.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By brukaoru

Yeah, the introduction leaves a little questioning but I don't think you'll have a problem once you play through the rest of the game.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
    zitosilva said:
    "Well, I planned on buying it anyways. I thought the demo was great (despite all the "ps1 pixels" discussion) and it looks beautiful.

Just thought it was a little weird considering how praised this was for its storytelling. But if it is really the only rough spot I can live with it."
    The storytelling is superb throughout the game.

And it could be argued that there were legitimate reasons as to why that part went down as it did. I'm not going to go into though, I'd be spoiling interesting parts of the story in the process.

I don't think this forum has spoiler tags, so I'll put a possible reason in a shrunken down thumbnail image. Don't click on it if you haven't played through the entire game yet, it would spoil a huge portion of the storyline. I hate when shit is spoiled for me, so I'll post it in a thumbnail at the bottom of the post for the benefit of people who've already played this shit.

Also, I strongly, strongly recommend playing the game with Vita Chambers turned OFF, they default to on. This is a selectable option in the main menu. The Vita Chamber mechanic is one of BioShock's greatest flaws. It makes the player virtually invincible - it completely robs the game of strategy and need for carefully planned, deliberate combat. When you die, you're brought back to life and are able to continue fighting; essentially it removes any penalty for death from the game entirely. You can fight sloppily, die, get brought back to life, run back to where you were, and die again - only to repeat the process. System Shock 2 used a similar system but the chambers had to be located and activated, this gave the game an interesting strategic exploration angle, in BioShock they're everywhere and always on. The game uses a standard PC saving system, as in save anywhere at anytime. The Vita Chambers are completely unnecessary and should not have been put into the game as they were. Playing with them on is akin to playing the game in God mode. After you buy the retail version turn that shit off before you start playing, you'll thank me for it.  

Also, avoid casually reading forum posts
    clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By clubsandwich
    BiffMcBlumpkin said:

Also, avoid casually reading forum posts about the game. Spoilers will be flying everywhere and an unspoiled storyline is crucial when playing this shit.

Obey this man, BioShock is fucking sweet, I hope you don't get spoiled because the story is amazing, fantastic game, along with The Darkness, this was my favorite game last year.
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zitosilva
    clubsandwich said:
    "BiffMcBlumpkin said:

Also, avoid casually reading forum posts about the game. Spoilers will be flying everywhere and an unspoiled storyline is crucial when playing this shit.

Obey this man, BioShock is fucking sweet, I hope you don't get spoiled because the story is amazing, fantastic game, along with The Darkness, this was my favorite game last year."
    Cool, this excites me to play it even more.
    But it's october... with the flood of games coming out this month... I'm not sure if I'll be able to by it on relese. It'll probably be more a christimas game.

Stay away from Bioshock forums.
    Turn off Vita Chambers. Gotcha.
    TEAMHOLT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TEAMHOLT
    zitosilva said:
    "Well, I planned on buying it anyways. I thought the demo was great (despite all the "ps1 pixels" discussion) and it looks beautiful.

Just thought it was a little weird considering how praised this was for its storytelling. But if it is really the only rough spot I can live with it."
    The last third of the game isn't so hot, to be honest. Up until that point it's very good, then it feels kind of rushed in spots and not much more happens story-wise.
    Avatar image for betterthantelevision
    betterthantelevision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I envy everyone who gets to play this game for the first time, one of my favorite games ever.

I think I'm going to start my third play-through today, why the hell not.

Smithyy9591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Smithyy9591

Bioshock Is A Brilliant Game, All Round Genious! Graphically Sweet! Plasmids Are Amazing, Detail Amazing, Storyline Is FANTASTIC, definately a must play game for any of the 3 platforms!

RobDaFunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By RobDaFunk

just gone thru it a second time and loved it Even more........you're in for a Ride Zitosilva!! ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.