Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Black Isle Studios

Company »

Best known for the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series of RPGs, Black Isle Studios was closed in December 8, 2003 then revived in August 22, 2012.

Interplay has resurrected Black Isle Studios.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

http://www.blackisle.com/

Developers of the original two Fallout's, Planescape, and the Icewind Dale franchsies, and the publisher of the Baldur's Gate franchise has been brought back to life by Interplay.

No word yet on what the end game of bringing this name back is as of yet, and people that work with Obsidian, who is made up of a lot of former Black Isle people, have no idea what is going on.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#2  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Fascinating, but it means nothing as of right now. Until a game is announced or its staffers listed, I can't see much reason to celebrate yet.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I wouldn't say they're reviving the studio. I'd say that Interplay are forming a new studio using the Black Isle name. It's not going to be the same development team or anything like that. Nothing that made Black Isle special is likely to be involved. They're just trying to play on nostalgia by re-using the name.

That's not to say that they can't collect a talented group of game developers together and put out a quality game. But we don't know that yet. Reviving the name doesn't mean anything until we know what they're going to do with it.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By AndrewB

Sure... if they have raided the talent from Obsidian. and have something more to offer than Obsidian, then this is great news. God knows I'd be glad to see more games like those in the stead of Bioware hitting for the fences and trying the broad appeal approach which compromises what I'm looking for in an RPG.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By coaxmetal

Im pretty sure all the black isle guys work elsewhere now. Some went to obsidian, a bunch went to Troika but that died so idk where they went after that. Others went other places.

e: oh yeah I think some of the guys at overhaul games, the dudes doing the baldurs gate remakes, might have been og black isle guys

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

I wonder if it has something to do with Atari and Overhaul Games remaking the Baldur's Gate franchise, and their remarks about wanting to tackle the rest of the Infinity Engine titles. The old school Western RPG has changed a lot from the 90's to today, and they might be thinking that there is still a market for that more tactical brand of a RPG.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Dagbiker

Only the son of Interplay, a half crappy developer, can stop what was once the Lord of RPG's, and end this fiasco once and for all. Leaving his home of Candlekeep for the gloomy franchises that don't include licensing fees...

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#8  Edited By FakeKisser

As someone that adored that studio as a teen, I'm sad to hear this, because I feel like it means the name is just going to be (mis)used to bring out mediocre games and just try to make money off nostalgia. I REALLY hope I'm wrong and that they have/get some great talent.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Phatmac

I hope they make Facebook games in order to piss people off. This is a ploy on your nostalgia and the same people from Black Isle are long gone. Move on folks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

And then Capcom resurrects Clover Studios but without Kamiya, Mikami or Inaba.

Konami resurrects Team Silent but without Yamaoka, Ito or Toyama.

Silvergun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Silvergun

I guess all they could make are the remakes. I don't think they have the license to make D&D stuff anymore, which I suppose means all they could do is remake their existing IPs. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a remake of Icewind Dale 2, but I'd be even happier to see an Icewind Dale 3.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Marz

yeah Chris Avellone already said on twitter this new Black Isle has nothing to do with him or any of the former employees.

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kpaadet

Too bad the Black Isle name couldnt be left alone, made some of my fav games of all time.

What does Interplay even do these days?

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Marcsman

A new Baldur's Gate would be awesome.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@Sparky_Buzzsaw said:

Fascinating, but it means nothing as of right now. Until a game is announced or its staffers listed, I can't see much reason to celebrate yet.

This. Unless the talent that formed the original Black Isles comes back, this "resurrection" means nothing. Frankly, i'm not even gonna call it Black Isles, I'll probably call it Interplay's Frankenstein's Monster.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShadyPingu

Color me waaaaaay skeptical.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Brodehouse said:

And then Capcom resurrects Clover Studios but without Kamiya, Mikami or Inaba.

Konami resurrects Team Silent but without Yamaoka, Ito or Toyama.

This. It's meaningless without that team and it would be easier for the people involved if they didn't have to butt heads with a legend.
    geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By geirr

Awesome, maybe!

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MrKlorox
    @MattyFTM said:

I wouldn't say they're reviving the studio. I'd say that Interplay are forming a new studio using the Black Isle name. It's not going to be the same development team or anything like that. Nothing that made Black Isle special is likely to be involved. They're just trying to play on nostalgia by re-using the name.

Exactly. This is just sleazy dirtbag interplay being the sleazy dirtbags they've become famous for in the past decade.
    BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By BoG

@MattyFTM said:

That's not to say that they can't collect a talented group of game developers together and put out a quality game. But we don't know that yet. Reviving the name doesn't mean anything until we know what they're going to do with it.

This is what I was going to say. I was going to say it because it isn't true.

I just want to add, and this should be implied, that we can't even expect the same spirit of game development from this group. Unless they manage to get together a high number of the old team, the only similarity to the old team is the name.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#21  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I really want someone to put a bullet in Interplay for real. They've been this zombie husk of a company for the last 8 or so years surviving on their classic game library and not much else. Oh well. Considering the prior track record, the chance of seeing anything from fake Black Isle (real Black Isle totally just being Obsidian) is... questionable.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Itwastuesday

wack isle studios

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.