Am I crazy for liking Blue Dragon?

• 59 results
#1 Posted by RoxasXIII (144 posts) -

I read all these terrible reviews for the game, but I was able to get it at Gamestop  for 15 dollars, so I thought "what the hey? I'll buy it." I thought it was really similar to Dragon Quest 8 in terms of the town and village designs and the way the game progressed. And I liked Dragon Quest 8. I know this game is a couple years old and no one talks about it anymore, but I thought I would say something cause I like this forum community.

#2 Posted by JamesF (1489 posts) -

Nope, you're not. Some people liked it and some didn't.

#3 Posted by HAMMERCLAW (298 posts) -

It's a game done in the classic JRPG style, almost like a PS1 game, on steroids. For what  it is, it's a mother beautiful game. Enjoy!

#4 Edited by PureRok (4236 posts) -

The reason the designs are similar is because of the awesome Akira Toriyama. I don't think I've seen a game that he did art design for that was bad.

#5 Posted by Bucketdeth (8048 posts) -

It actually looked like a good game to me, I wanted to try it, but I sold my 360 before I could try it.

#6 Posted by The_A_Drain (3973 posts) -

If you're playing with the sound off, no, it's a pretty reasonable game and noone can say no to Toriyama's artwork. 

If you have the sound on however, you are in fact, insane.
#7 Posted by KaosAngel (13764 posts) -

Yes you are.  Anyone who likes that god-awful final boss music is crazy.

#8 Edited by xyzygy (10078 posts) -
@KaosAngel:
WTF, the final boss music is awesome! How can you go wrong with chanting, plam muted guitar, and organ? It's the REGULAR boss music that's kinda kooky... 

As I always say, never listen to reviews or others opinions about games. I loved the game as well.
#9 Posted by StarFoxA (5165 posts) -

No, you're not. It's just your opinion. Nobody on the internet can seem to grasp that concept.

#10 Edited by fugie7 (1109 posts) -

nope, its a game that many people underestimate its quality of the game. That's why i usually dont listen people on their intake of the game because i want to experience it myself. 

#11 Posted by Akeldama (4257 posts) -
@Bucketdeth said:
" It actually looked like a good game to me, I wanted to try it, but I sold my 360 before I could try it. "
its coming to the PS3
#12 Edited by xyzygy (10078 posts) -
@Akeldama:  

Are you sure? I thought Sakaguchi left Square because he didn't want to deal with Sony anymore. And isn't Mistwalker funded by Microsoft? Also, the game is like, REALLY old. Why the hell bring such an old game over?
#13 Posted by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -

Are you not crazy.  I'm actually on the same boat as you.  I fucking loved the game.  I loved it from beginning to end.  In my personal opinion, I think it's one of the best RPGs on 360.  I enjoyed it more then Mass Effect and Oblivion.

#14 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4779 posts) -

The game was good regardless of what people say.

#15 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@StarFoxA said:
" No, you're not. It's just your opinion. Nobody on the internet can seem to grasp that concept. "
#16 Posted by Akeldama (4257 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" @Akeldama:   Are you sure? I thought Sakaguchi left Square because he didn't want to deal with Sony anymore. And isn't Mistwalker funded by Microsoft? Also, the game is like, REALLY old. Why the hell bring such an old game over? "
im not 100% sure, but it was talked about in PTOM a few issues back.
#17 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -

i really liked it

@Akeldama said:

" @Bucketdeth said:
" It actually looked like a good game to me, I wanted to try it, but I sold my 360 before I could try it. "
its coming to the PS3 "

is this true?
#18 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Not really. It's a pretty good game but has a few quirks.

#19 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -
@The_A_Drain said:
" If you're playing with the sound off, no, it's a pretty reasonable game and noone can say no to Toriyama's artwork.  If you have the sound on however, you are in fact, insane. "
I WON'T GIVE UP. EVER.
#20 Posted by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -
@The_A_Drain said:
" If you're playing with the sound off, no, it's a pretty reasonable game and noone can say no to Toriyama's artwork.  If you have the sound on however, you are in fact, insane. "
Is there something wrong with the soundtrack in this game or do you just hate Marumaro ?
#21 Posted by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -
@luce said:
" i really liked it

@Akeldama said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
its coming to the PS3 "
is this true? "
No, that is not true.
#22 Edited by Dryker (515 posts) -

Sakaguchi-san's two Mistwalker productions are excellent and were grossly underrated. They were traditional. They were supposed to be. Of their kind, Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are two of the best JRPGs I've ever played; and I've been a devout RPG fan since I received a copy of Dragon Warrior with my Nintendo Power subscription. The way I see it, they were just another two victims of the Overhyped Curse; just like Too Human.
#23 Posted by Akeldama (4257 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" @luce said:
" i really liked it

@Akeldama said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
its coming to the PS3 "
is this true? "
No, that is not true. "
they spoke about it in PTOM a few months ago. Its happening. 
#24 Posted by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -
@Akeldama said:
" @JJOR64 said:
" @luce said:
" i really liked it

@Akeldama said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
its coming to the PS3 "
is this true? "
No, that is not true. "
they spoke about it in PTOM a few months ago. Its happening.  "
Show me.  Give me a link so I can believe it.
#25 Posted by Coltonio7 (3156 posts) -
JOIN
#26 Posted by RoxasXIII (144 posts) -

Wow I didn't think anyone would respond to this so I didn't respond haha.  
@StarFoxA:
 Duh. It's called a conversation though. 

@JJOR64: Awesome! I'm glad you liked it a lot too! 

@xyzygy: I brought it up because I got it a couple weeks ago and I beat it like 2 weeks ago. I just wanted to see a bit of discussion

#27 Posted by Lashe (1266 posts) -
@RoxasXIII: Dude I just started playing this game like 3/4 days ago, was gonna make a thread like this myself just there haha. I've been loving it so far! I love the pacing - never seems to lull for any particularly long length of time, and I like the turn the storytelling takes in the 2nd half of the game. 

Oh and to all the people slagging the sound, you are aware you can turn off the "Spoken text", right?
#28 Posted by FlamingHobo (4512 posts) -

I thought it was pretty cool but I stopped playing it for some reason, probably due to another game.

#29 Posted by Brendan (8155 posts) -

Blue Dragon was so-so for me.  The visuals were clean and sharp, although the blur effect was so high in some cases it made environments a little jarring (in my my humble opinion, most reviewers agree).  The story was fun, classic Anime/Jrpg, so it was fine.  The combat was decent fun and didn't take any risks, but was way too slow, and for reasons that didn't really make sense.  The opening shot of the battle environment was way too long, and many of the attacks cinematics dragged on far too long as well without giving a sufficient amount of visual reward.  As a guy who has played many Jrpg's, I would give it 3 stars.  It was a fine game that just dragged it's heels alot when it didn't really need to.  
#30 Edited by zombie2011 (5049 posts) -
@Akeldama said:

" @JJOR64 said:

" @luce said:
" i really liked it

@Akeldama said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
its coming to the PS3 "
is this true? "
No, that is not true. "
Both Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon are published by MS game studios so neither will be coming to the PS3.
#31 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" Yes you are.  Anyone who likes that god-awful final boss music is crazy. "
Seems somebody read my Takeshi's Challenge blog :P.
#32 Posted by RoxasXIII (144 posts) -
@Lashe: Yeah I liked how it did that too, it definitely changes there. I'm glad someone else likes the game like I do, and that other people are just trying it out and everything. It's a great game.. Though I really have to agree with the boss music. Everything in the boss music is awesome except for the lyrics.. They just make it dumb. call me crazy, but I didn't find Marumaro that annoying.
#33 Edited by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:

This is the final boss song:

#34 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:

" @KaosAngel said:

This is the final boss song:

"
Yep, that's awesome. Maybe he was thinking of this:

#35 Posted by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: I think he is thinking of this song:
#36 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:

" @Video_Game_King: I think he is thinking of this song:

"
Huh? You mean this song? Weird.
#37 Edited by tineyoghurt (358 posts) -
@JJOR64: Haha, love that song! Ian Gillans best work by far.
#38 Posted by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: That's the song I posted.  >_>
#39 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

It's a good game, nice graphics & music.  The story is pretty bad though, even for a JRPG.

#40 Posted by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -
@tineyoghurt: Fuck yeah.  :P
#41 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" @Video_Game_King: That's the song I posted.  >_> "
I know. Look at the title. "Best VGM." And that guy's the authority on great video game music. DO NOT DOUBT SUPRADARKY AND HIS SUPRANESS!!!
#42 Posted by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: I guess that guy likes the song.  He is entitled to his own opinion.
#43 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" @Video_Game_King: I guess that guy likes the song.  He is entitled to his own opinion. "
Wait, I thought you liked the song. Why are you phrasing it as if you didn't like the song? Or have pronouns betrayed me?
#44 Posted by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: The song is cool in a weird way..  I think "The Seal Has Broken" is better song though.
#45 Posted by The_A_Drain (3973 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" @The_A_Drain said:
Is there something wrong with the soundtrack in this game or do you just hate Marumaro ? "

No it's the voice acting, including but not exclusive to Marumaro.
#46 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" @Video_Game_King: The song is cool in a weird way..  I think "The Seal Has Broken" is better song though. "
Same here.
#47 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

The Blue Dragon boss theme Eternity is easily the worst boss music in any game ever.  Even a looping five-second NES midi would be better than this.

#48 Posted by Akeldama (4257 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" @Akeldama said:
" @JJOR64 said:
" @luce said:
" i really liked it

@Akeldama said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
its coming to the PS3 "
is this true? "
No, that is not true. "
Show me.  Give me a link so I can believe it. "
your asking me to link you to a magazine?
#49 Posted by Akeldama (4257 posts) -
@zombie2011 said:
" @Akeldama said:

" @JJOR64 said:

" @luce said:
" i really liked it

@Akeldama said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
its coming to the PS3 "
is this true? "
No, that is not true. "
Both Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon are published by MS game studios so neither will be coming to the PS3. "
just watch
#50 Posted by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -
@Akeldama: There has to be article somewhere on the nets.  Until you show me an article, I wont believe you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.