Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Blur

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 25, 2010

Bizarre Creations' Blur mixes the driving of the Project Gotham Racing series with explosive weaponry and allows players to race up to 20 online opponents.

Battle Of The Arcade Racers.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Edited By MachoFantastico

BATTLE OF THE ARCADE RACERS!

May is an interesting month for us gamers, with a number of much anticipated games making their way to store shelves in the coming weeks. Lost Planet 2 as recently seen a somewhat disappointing release and Remedy have finally been kind enough to give us Alan Wake to play. But they are not the subject of my blog today, for I feel now is better time then ever to talk about a genre of racing that as become somewhat forgettable over the past few years. I like many of you, have fond memories of the arcade racer from my youth. In fact it would be frankly honest of me to admit that my main arcade experiences were playing racing games.  

Daytona.. LET'S GO AWAY (Sing-along).
    Sega Rally and Daytona USA were two in particular that often robbed me of my pocket money, I even recall spending over £50 of my holiday funds in one night playing these wonderful classics. To this day I can't leave an arcade without playing either whenever I get the chance, once I hear that wonderful 'Let's Go Away' song I'm already seated with a pound coin in hand for a round. So hopefully I can provide at least a welcomed opinion on the current state of the arcade racer, a genre that in itself as changed dramatically in the many years I have been gaming. One cannot mention arcade racing without bringing up the Burnout games, a franchise which as arguably dominated the scene for a good while now.   

Let me get something off my chest which hurts me to even say, considering my love for the Burnout franchise. I disliked Burnout: Paradise! Now I shan't go rattling on giving every small reason why, that would be boring. What I will say is that in my personal opinion, Paradise felt like a step backwards in design, with Criterion adding features that the series didn't really need. Okay, the multiplayer made perfect sense and worked out well, but the whole open city concept was the nail in the coffin for me. The last thing I want to do in a Burnout game is travel around a huge map finding junctions just so I can race, past games in the franchise were direct and to the point. If I wanted to race I only simply at to traverse a few screens and wham! I was racing. Not to mention the fact that having to look at the map every damn second was about as fun as watching paint dry. I shan't even go into the lack of crash mode. 

BOOM! Split/Second's all about the explosions.
    But to move on, what I'm basically trying to say is that I'm looking for a new refreshing arcade racer to scratch an itch I've had for a good spell now. Two such potential games are Black Rock Studio's Split/Second and Bizarre CreationsBlur, both vying for pretty much the same market. Demos have been released in the past couple of weeks for each title and while I won't go comparing them in any great detail, I'm fascinated to see what their final fates will be. An impressive amount of discussing as already taken place between myself and friends, and while I don't enjoy saying this so early in the battle, it seems folks are much more excited for Blur. That said, the whole concept of Split/Second excites me so much more then what is realistically Mario Kart meets Project Gotham Racing.  

Hang on, Mario Kart meets Project Gotham Racing sounds pretty damn awesome actually. While I won't judge any game by a demo or multiplayer beta, I will admit that Blur blew me away. Speaking in technically simple terms, Blur isn't anything we haven't really seen before. But what makes Blur so potentially huge is that almost perfect combination of PGR car handling and over the top Mario Kart action that as become so loved. The Project Gotham Racing franchise as in my opinion the best handling in any racing game, while maybe not totally realistic it strikes a wonderful mix of realism and fun, something few racing 'simulations' ever achieve (I'm looking at you Gran Turismo). So I shall admit I'm super excitement for Blur when it hits stores on the 25th of this month. 

But what of Split/Second, well any gamer will tell you to never totally judge a game by it's demo and it's true for this specific title. The demo for Split/Second was somewhat unspectacular and the fascinating concept of destruction didn't transmit itself as well as one might have hoped. But I'll wait till the full retail release on the 21st of May, or May the 18th for my American friends. Of course I suspect you all have your own opinions on both games, there's a general split between each it seems. Some love the skill, precision and chaos of Blur while others love the explosive feel and concepts of Split/Second. Whatever you think of either game, I'm just delighted to see more arcade racers hitting the market. Speaking of which I haven't even mentioned Modnation Racers which also hits stores in the coming weeks.  

Blur is a unique take on a familiar formula loved by many. 
    With Criterion Games hard at work with their new Need For Speed game, what better time then now to challenge Burnout: Paradise for it's crown as the arcade racing king. Both Split/Second and Blur have potential to be fantastic racing experiences, but it's how they compare as a overall package that will win or lose them this battle. Both studios behind both games have experience in developing racing titles, with Black Rock Studios having developed the ATV: Offroad Fury series and the rather impressive Pure, their most recent full release. Bizarre Creations need little introduction, the Project Gotham Racing games were some of the finest racing titles to date and Bizarre have clearly used much of that experience in developing Blur. Come the end of May, will their be a worthy winner? 

Thanks for Reading, and Keep Gaming!
    Follow me on Twitter: JosephBayliss

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By MachoFantastico

BATTLE OF THE ARCADE RACERS!

May is an interesting month for us gamers, with a number of much anticipated games making their way to store shelves in the coming weeks. Lost Planet 2 as recently seen a somewhat disappointing release and Remedy have finally been kind enough to give us Alan Wake to play. But they are not the subject of my blog today, for I feel now is better time then ever to talk about a genre of racing that as become somewhat forgettable over the past few years. I like many of you, have fond memories of the arcade racer from my youth. In fact it would be frankly honest of me to admit that my main arcade experiences were playing racing games.  

Sega Rally and Daytona USA were two in particular that often robbed me of my pocket money, I even recall spending over £50 of my holiday funds in one night playing these wonderful classics. To this day I can't leave an arcade without playing either whenever I get the chance, once I hear that wonderful 'Let's Go Away' song I'm already seated with a pound coin in hand for a round. So hopefully I can provide at least a welcomed opinion on the current state of the arcade racer, a genre that in itself as changed dramatically in the many years I have been gaming. One cannot mention arcade racing without bringing up the Burnout games, a franchise which as arguably dominated the scene for a good while now.   

Let me get something off my chest which hurts me to even say, considering my love for the Burnout franchise. I disliked Burnout: Paradise! Now I shan't go rattling on giving every small reason why, that would be boring. What I will say is that in my personal opinion, Paradise felt like a step backwards in design, with Criterion adding features that the series didn't really need. Okay, the multiplayer made perfect sense and worked out well, but the whole open city concept was the nail in the coffin for me. The last thing I want to do in a Burnout game is travel around a huge map finding junctions just so I can race, past games in the franchise were direct and to the point. If I wanted to race I only simply at to traverse a few screens and wham! I was racing. Not to mention the fact that having to look at the map every damn second was about as fun as watching paint dry. I shan't even go into the lack of crash mode. 

But to move on, what I'm basically trying to say is that I'm looking for a new refreshing arcade racer to scratch an itch I've had for a good spell now. Two such potential games are Black Rock Studio's Split/Second and Bizarre CreationsBlur, both vying for pretty much the same market. Demos have been released in the past couple of weeks for each title and while I won't go comparing them in any great detail, I'm fascinated to see what their final fates will be. An impressive amount of discussing as already taken place between myself and friends, and while I don't enjoy saying this so early in the battle, it seems folks are much more excited for Blur. That said, the whole concept of Split/Second excites me so much more then what is realistically Mario Kart meets Project Gotham Racing.  

Hang on, Mario Kart meets Project Gotham Racing sounds pretty damn awesome actually. While I won't judge any game by a demo or multiplayer beta, I will admit that Blur blew me away. Speaking in technically simple terms, Blur isn't anything we haven't really seen before. But what makes Blur so potentially huge is that almost perfect combination of PGR car handling and over the top Mario Kart action that as become so loved. The Project Gotham Racing franchise as in my opinion the best handling in any racing game, while maybe not totally realistic it strikes a wonderful mix of realism and fun, something few racing 'simulations' ever achieve (I'm looking at you Gran Turismo). So I shall admit I'm super excitement for Blur when it hits stores on the 25th of this month. 

But what of Split/Second, well any gamer will tell you to never totally judge a game by it's demo and it's true for this specific title. The demo for Split/Second was somewhat unspectacular and the fascinating concept of destruction didn't transmit itself as well as one might have hoped. But I'll wait till the full retail release on the 21st of May, or May the 18th for my American friends. Of course I suspect you all have your own opinions on both games, there's a general split between each it seems. Some love the skill, precision and chaos of Blur while others love the explosive feel and concepts of Split/Second. Whatever you think of either game, I'm just delighted to see more arcade racers hitting the market. Speaking of which I haven't even mentioned Modnation Racers which also hits stores in the coming weeks.  

With Criterion Games hard at work with their new Need For Speed game, what better time then now to challenge Burnout: Paradise for it's crown as the arcade racing king. Both Split/Second and Blur have potential to be fantastic racing experiences, but it's how they compare as a overall package that will win or lose them this battle. Both studios behind both games have experience in developing racing titles, with Black Rock Studios having developed the ATV: Offroad Fury series and the rather impressive Pure, their most recent full release. Bizarre Creations need little introduction, the Project Gotham Racing games were some of the finest racing titles to date and Bizarre have clearly used much of that experience in developing Blur. Come the end of May, will their be a worthy winner? 

Thanks for Reading, and Keep Gaming!
    Follow me on Twitter: JosephBayliss

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Dalai

I've been mulling over the possibility of buying a new racing game for a while even though I haven't bought one in ages. Right now I'm hoping Split/Second turns out to be awesome. Then again, Blur also looks great and could be just what I need.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By CoolDrMoney

I played the Blur beta for the first day. It raced well but I grew a bit tired of it after a single day of play. I prefer my PGR being PGR 3 and my Mario Kart being Double Dash.

I bought Split/Second this week and I'd say that it's the biggest leap in standards for arcade racers since Burnout 3. It handles like a dream and the power play gimmick is the coolest genre addition since the takedown. The tracks are impeccably crafted. The ways you can completely alter them with large scale destruction triggers (multiple times per race even) are awe-inspiring. You may know what's gonna explode, collapse, or open up, but it still never fails to elicit raw thrills as you view a ship you triggered cruising by in the distance, about to make it's mark on the course's path design. Between Pure and now this, I'm really into what Black Rock Studio is doing for ridiculous racers.

Turbofirejames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Turbofirejames

Ive only played the split/second demo and i can't handle the lack of instant gratification for causing damage. I dont like waiting for opportunities to inflict pain. I like Blur's level of control over the amount of power ups you can keep. Visually Split/second looks great, but ive preordered Blur and am looking forward to it greatly. Hopefully, when i start working i will buy both.

Birdman_LIVE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Birdman_LIVE

I'd really love to have a video game publication write up a comparative review of Split/Second and Blur.  I'm on the Blur end of things but I can see that being helpful for folks on the fence.

Maclintok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Maclintok

Got Blur a couple days ago and played the Split/Second demo.  The driving model in Blur is a touch more realistic but it's not the unsatisfying, middle-of-the-road compromise you see in PGR. It's still very arcadey.  But Split/Second definitely takes on more of that Burnout feel.  Really enjoying Blur now.. they did a great job of layering on the reward systems and making the career and online mode feel somewhat connected.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.