Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands 2

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Sep 18, 2012

Return to Pandora as part of a new group of ragtag Vault Hunters in this sequel to the 2009 first-person "role-playing shooter" Borderlands, now with new crazy enemies, new crazy character classes, and even crazier weapons.

Hilarious 'Review' from the Wall Street Journal

• 200 results
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#101  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Fuck that fucking COD whose dick that fucker won't get off of, gawwwwwwwwwddd

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By MideonNViscera

This game just isn't manga-like enough to be super hip, guys.

WalkerD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By WalkerD

Oh god, the "game theory" picture that the guy seemed to slap on there for no reason had me cracking up.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#104  Edited By Jeffsekai

who caresssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By wardcleaver

While I loved the first Borderlands and plan on picking up B2, I have to agree with some of the things he said. Borderlands had a terrible story. The story in COD: BO was better, IMO. I enjoy Borderlands more than I enjoyed BO, but the point about the story is valid.

The thing that bothers me more about the WSJ review, and reviews in general, is criticizing the game for what it doesn't have/do , rather than what it does/is there.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#106  Edited By jozzy

@rebgav said:

Anyone else suspect that the review is actually written by the 14 year old son and formatted for WSJ by his clueless father?

Yes, that is what I gathered from this as well. Anyway, this "review" was extremely amusing, let me know when he does another.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ThePickle said:

Borderlands 2’s single-player campaign mode isn’t as good as what you’ll find in games like COD: Black Ops or the Medal of Honor series.

I was going post the same thing. lol Medal of Honor? Seriously...also BO single player wasn't that hot either. Haha.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#108  Edited By Bollard
    The sequel to the highly acclaimed 2009 Borderlands game goes on shelves Tuesday in Xbox 360, PS3 and PC versions for around $60. At that price point, the first-person shooter, published by 2K Games, inevitably invites comparisons with the Halos and Call of Duty games already out and due to come in the next few weeks and months. Borderlands 2 falls short because it’s missing several key elements you need to have in a 2012 first-person shooter game – most notably, a rich multiplayer online mode. There’s an extremely limited four-player cooperative mode, and if you have an Xbox Live Gold account, you can team up that way, but this isn’t the type of deeply engrossing FPS game the headset-wearing COD crowds gather to play months and months after release. In comparison, I read on several sites[Good research motherfucker] that COD: Black Ops 2 will feature up to six teams, for a total of 18 simultaneous players, in multiplayer mode.

That entire paragraph had me smashing my head into a wall. What in the genuine fuck. Also he talks about the original game like there was an actual story? Eh? Has this guy even played any games that aren't Call of Duty?

@zombie2011 said:

"...or Halo 4, which is slated for a December release."

The last line of the review! Seriously? He couldn't even looks up the release date of one of the biggest games coming out this year.

Great fucking news, he went back and added in the bloody dates.

[Note: This article has been modified from a previous version. In addition, the exact release dates for Halo 4 and Black Ops 2 have been added.]

Secondary note: It still fucking sucks.

grayfox1210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#109  Edited By grayfox1210

GAME THEORY!!

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By mtcantor

VIDEO GAMES!

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#111  Edited By MachoFantastico

Page hit people, page hits!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#112  Edited By Justin258

You guys are just giving him page hits.

Anyway, this is good for a laugh.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#113  Edited By Milkman

Shitty review but "joy puke" is lame as hell.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay I think my friend wrote the best parody of this article. lol

I think it misses all the marks of being a current gen dating sim. First off, its 1 girl and 3 guys you can choose from. What if I dont like the girl? Im stuck with her. The customization is terrible, I cant even pick the eyebrow color. But getting past that part, the game just doesnt have any dialog for you to even pick. You just meet a small robot named Claptrap and a guy missing an arm and a leg. Not a great amount of choices there.... Overall, I couldnt get past 2 hours into the game. It was just full of violence, the characters did not look like humans and I couldnt even get claptraps number. If you like this game, more power to you, but Ill be playing sims online and getting real girl's numbers.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#115  Edited By ProfessorEss

I think the outrage in this thread is way funnier than the review itself.

gunninkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By gunninkr

FACE/PALM

What a tool. Funny how his game knowledge seemed only as deep as previous articles or Wiki's he has read about the original or other games rather than actually playing them.

Embarrassing...

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By stryker1121

OK, whatever. I read the piece and the guy is not into open-world shooters. Comparing BL2 to CoD is patently ridiculous on its face. His other complaints (the animation) are duly noted and a matter of taste. BL2 seems to have improved the 2 aspects that made the first game not as good as it should have been..more interesting environments and better, more diverse loot, particularly in SP.

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Shaka999

@ComradeKhan said:

Now i know what it must have felt like for the teachers that had to read all the book reports i wrote about book that I never actually read.

Hah! Ain't that the truth.

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#119  Edited By mzuckerm

@wewantsthering said:

Okay I think my friend wrote the best parody of this article. lol

I think it misses all the marks of being a current gen dating sim. First off, its 1 girl and 3 guys you can choose from. What if I dont like the girl? Im stuck with her. The customization is terrible, I cant even pick the eyebrow color. But getting past that part, the game just doesnt have any dialog for you to even pick. You just meet a small robot named Claptrap and a guy missing an arm and a leg. Not a great amount of choices there.... Overall, I couldnt get past 2 hours into the game. It was just full of violence, the characters did not look like humans and I couldnt even get claptraps number. If you like this game, more power to you, but Ill be playing sims online and getting real girl's numbers.

Hilarious.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#120  Edited By Trilogy

From the responses in this thread, I don't think I can bring myself to read that review. Not even for a laugh.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By FourWude

DEATH TO WALL STREET!

gunninkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By gunninkr

@Shaka999: LOL! Classic!

Socialone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Socialone

The comments section is getting out of control. Someone pretending to be him is adding fuel to the fire and an ''official'' statement posted more than a dozen times since then is just as inept.

Dear Community Members,
    I know you’re angry at me for what I wrote previously on this article. I didn’t want to cause controversy on here at all. I just wanted to write a simple review about Borderlands. That being said, I do not take back what I said about Borderlands 2. I know you are all upset with me but Borderlands was NOT a good game and it definitely did not compare to Call of Duty or Halo in multiple ways, as I stated above. Call of Duty and Halo are going to contain much more rich multi-player abilities than Borderlands 2. Also, I believe the graphics on Call of Duty and Halo are much more detailed and accurate than in Borderlands 2. I was basically just writing my opinion on how I dislike Borderlands 2. It wasn’t supposed to be against a community member or anything at all. Please stop writing on my YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, and Google+. Also, please stop calling my work. Nobody deserves this much harassment because of his belief on a simple video game that wasn’t up to standards. I appreciate the time you took to read this comment.

Thank you,

Adam Najberg

gunninkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By gunninkr

I read it again and now my astonishment has turned into anger. I broke down a big part of his article into this---> I bought a Cow...I read about a Chicken...I am upset my Cow doesnt lay eggs....

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ha!! They editored in the release dates for the games he mentioned. And did other edits

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By ericdrum

@The_Nubster said:

I read until the part about it missing online competitive multiplayer.

That's exactly what made me stop. No matter what more he has to say, I can't see being enlightened or edified by someone who is so fundamentally far from my own gaming ideology. I totally support him with giving his opinions on it, but his point of view will never make any sense as we both want very different things from gaming.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Socialone

The comments section is getting out of control. Someone pretending to be him is adding fuel to the fire and an ''official'' statement posted more than a dozen times since then is just as inept.

Dear Community Members,
    I know you’re angry at me for what I wrote previously on this article. I didn’t want to cause controversy on here at all. I just wanted to write a simple review about Borderlands. That being said, I do not take back what I said about Borderlands 2. I know you are all upset with me but Borderlands was NOT a good game and it definitely did not compare to Call of Duty or Halo in multiple ways, as I stated above. Call of Duty and Halo are going to contain much more rich multi-player abilities than Borderlands 2. Also, I believe the graphics on Call of Duty and Halo are much more detailed and accurate than in Borderlands 2. I was basically just writing my opinion on how I dislike Borderlands 2. It wasn’t supposed to be against a community member or anything at all. Please stop writing on my YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, and Google+. Also, please stop calling my work. Nobody deserves this much harassment because of his belief on a simple video game that wasn’t up to standards. I appreciate the time you took to read this comment.

Thank you,

Adam Najberg

His official statement is just gonna make it worse. He said the game was not good and would not compare to COD or Halo. This dude really is a damn idiot
    EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

I don't really agree with him on a lot of points, but it's not like his review betrays any evidence to suggest he didn't play the game at all. It's just not his thing and he'd rather play COD... some people out there feel that way. Deal with it.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By ericdrum

@The_Laughing_Man said:

His official statement is just gonna make it worse. He said the game was not good and would not compare to COD or Halo. This dude really is a damn idiot

This guy just threw chum to the sharks.

I always say that any good reviewer should come into a game at least liking or being interested in the game at a conceptual level. You should be able to say, "If this game pulls off what it is trying to accomplish, I am going to like this game and enjoy playing it". If you can't say that, leave it to someone who can. I don't play fighting games. I know others love them. It makes no sense to put one in front of my face and tell me to review it because even if it's flawless, I truly won't get it and appreciate what is and what it does well.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By The_Nubster

@ericdrum said:

@The_Nubster said:

I read until the part about it missing online competitive multiplayer.

That's exactly what made me stop. No matter what more he has to say, I can't see being enlightened or edified by someone who is so fundamentally far from my own gaming ideology. I totally support him with giving his opinions on it, but his point of view will never make any sense as we both want very different things from gaming.

Not only that, but he went to Borderlands thinking that it was going to be a CoD or Halo game, and then ripped it apart based on his own flawed idea of what the game was trying to do. It would be like saying Schindler's list was a terrible comedy, or that The Offspring are the worst J-pop group ever. I'm not a fan of this term, but he was playing the game wrong.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By bemusedchunk

He does have a point...where is the competitive multiplayer?!

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not that this guy isn't entitled to an opinion or anything, but he really just doesn't seem to get what the game is all about. He seems to be knocking it because he expects all FPS games to be COD, when its pretty obvious Gearbox wasn't going for that at all. This review is like if I said I hate NBA Jam because it's not an accurate representation of basketball like EA's latest NBA game.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By ericdrum

This guy has got to be generating tons of traffic for that site. We'll definitely be seeing more reviews from him.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

@President_Barackbar said:

This review is like if I said I hate NBA Jam because it's not an accurate representation of basketball like EA's latest NBA game.

I thought NBA Jam *was* EA's latest NBA game?

Prymet1me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Prymet1me

@bemusedchunk: on the cutting room floor where it belongs.

dabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By dabe

Although I believe Borderlands (and I'd presume the sequel from video, images and interviews/articles) to be synonymous with a majority of the utterly reprehensible things about games, gaming and their subject matter, I want informative articles based around reasoned, logical, intelligent debate and critique.

The Wall Street Journal will never give me that. On any subject. Especially video games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Socialone

Dear Community Members,

Thank you,

Adam Najberg

That can't be the official statement... that's fake right? Please say yes...

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#138  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

There's nothing wrong with not liking Borderlands 2, but this guy said it in almost the worst way possible. I'm not sure that even a seasoned troll from the darkest corner of the internet could put together something better intended to piss off fans of Borderlands 2 and well-reasoned video game criticism.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#139  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@wewantsthering said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Socialone

Dear Community Members,

Thank you,

Adam Najberg

That can't be the official statement... that's fake right? Please say yes...

I doubt it's real, but then again... Ocean Marketing. The "official" statement compliments the stupidity of the review so well, it's just perfect! I wonder if he has received any death threats yet.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#140  Edited By Deusoma
    @JasonR86 said:

@steveurkel said:

I'm glad someone didn't like this piece of shit. The first game was terrible and this one is no worse. Yes I've played it. Maxed out graphics on a PC - it looks like shit, it plays like shit. First person shooters are fucking a thing of the past because this is the garbage people are interested in playing. This guy is not clueless, he is informed. He probably played good first person shooters (before half life ruined them). What a joke this game turned out to be. It is great that Jeff likes it because I like jeff but I don't care about other peoples opinions it is a bad game. I'm mad I wasted money on it because my friends convinced me to buy it hurr it will be fun yup it isnt. Surprise. Another shitty game from gearbox.

Uh-huh.

Hey, Adam Najberg has a Giant Bomb account!
    Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Ravenlight

The best of the comments on WSJ about the article:

• Claptrap wrote:
    Greetings mindless minion! It has come to my attention that you have published a less than generous review of my love-child, Borderlands 2! If I sound excited, please note that it is the way my programmers intended me to sound. I am actually quite dismayed!
    Unfortunately, I, Claptrap, cannot condone this slander, especially from a mindless minion such as yourself! HAHAHHH!
    Please report to the nearest grinding station for immediate dismemberment!
    monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#142  Edited By monkeyking1969

Well, at least Adam Najberg was honest with his audience and gave his real opinion. I rather doubt half the reviewers put in even a quarter as much thought into their reviews. People who don't read that and come away thinking, "Well at least he's honest" are just fools.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MonkeyKing1969 said:

Well, at least Adam Najberg was honest with his audience and gave his real opinion. I rather doubt half the reviewers put in even a quarter as much thought into their reviews. People who don't read that and come away thinking, "Well at least he's honest" are just fools.

But he did it in the worst way possible. to refrance COD and Halo more then once and not even bother to get details about their release dates makes it look like hes just shooting out game titles.  

Also it looks like Patrick is trying to get in touch with him for a story. 
    mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By mikey87144

@steveurkel said:

I'm glad someone didn't like this piece of shit. The first game was terrible and this one is no worse. Yes I've played it. Maxed out graphics on a PC - it looks like shit, it plays like shit. First person shooters are fucking a thing of the past because this is the garbage people are interested in playing. This guy is not clueless, he is informed. He probably played good first person shooters (before half life ruined them). What a joke this game turned out to be. It is great that Jeff likes it because I like jeff but I don't care about other peoples opinions it is a bad game. I'm mad I wasted money on it because my friends convinced me to buy it hurr it will be fun yup it isnt. Surprise. Another shitty game from gearbox.

Making note to never take advice from him on FPS games.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By mikey87144

@Jazzycola said:

@JasonR86 said:

Who was that review for? I mean, what audience is supposed to take in that content and enjoy it and/or find it insightful?

I suppose its just a bullet point on what services they provide. When it comes to getting advertisers, they can go to video game companies and say "hey look we cover video games give us money". I wonder the exact same thing when IGN reviews tech or music.

IGN at least employs people who focus primarily on that. The people who review the tech, movies, and music rarely, if ever, review games. This dude reads like a guy who never played video games before but decided to take a stab at it.

Applederp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Applederp

Is it wrong that the worst part of that article to me was him saying the wrong release date of Halo 4?

The rest of the review was garbage, but that detail just urks me.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By iamjohn

My favorite part is where he spends, like, two large paragraphs intricately breaking down Borderlands 1's story (that he admits he culled from the Wikipedia page), as if it really matters or I couldn't have just, oh I don't know, looked it up if I cared.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iAmJohn said:
    My favorite part is where he spends, like, two large paragraphs intricately breaking down Borderlands 1's story (that he admits he culled from the Wikipedia page), as if it really matters or I couldn't have just, oh I don't know, looked it up if I cared.
    The story is. "Get to vault" 
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By iamjohn
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    @iAmJohn said:
    The story is. "Get to vault" 
    Not enough explaining the depth and history of factions/companies no one remembers.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By penguindust

"Borderlands 2’s single-player campaign mode isn’t as good as what you’ll find in games like COD: Black Ops or the Medal of Honor series."

I played the last MoH and its single player was crap.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.