Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

Borderlands at E3

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

This game I think should have been highlighted by Microsoft.  It seems like something a lot of people will like.

I was excited for it going into E3 but this preview on kotaku from e3 really sold it for me. 

Some choice parts:

I had a chance to check out a demonstration of Gearbox Software's cosmetically mercurial Borderlands today, and it felt rather familiar. Take the wasteland environment, role-playing, and first-person shooter elements of Fallout 3, add in a little bit of Diablo-esque looting and weapon generation, and then give the whole thing a strong focus on co-operative multiplayer and there you have Borderlands...and that's not a bad recipe whatsoever.

Gearbox President Randy Pitchford himself guided us through the demo, which started with two players working their way through a co-operative kill x number of y type mission. This is the first time we've seen the new graphics in motion, and screenshots really don't do the game justice...which I suppose is a problem with any cel-shaded title. While the areas are bleak and expansive, they are also full of life and character...which I suppose is a plus with any cel-shaded title. The game definitely looks sweet in motion.

--------------------------------------------------

During the brief Q&A session afterwards, I questions Randy about the Fallout 3 similarities. "The difference here is that Fallout is a roleplaying game with first-person shooter elements. We started as a first-person shooter and then added roleplaying elements to it."

"On top of that, I loved (Fallout) and I was having a great time, but there was also something missing - I couldn't play with my friends - I could never have anyone join in with me. We're actually the first game that's delivered these genres ever that's offering that feature (on consoles)."

Also says the RPG elements are pretty deep.  Sounds very awesome.
    Budster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Budster

I'm digging this game a lot too and I'm happy they changed the art style as well, some people just can't accept changed , but they get left in the dust MOST of the time.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By mordukai

I lost all interest in it. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By jakob187

That picture on the article has one sweet ass in it.  = D

Avatar image for pissedoffthewitch
    pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By pissedoffthewitch

Fallout 3 + Diablo = Epic?

xionpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By xionpunk

I was surprised to find out this was coming to PS3,  I thought for sure it was 360 exclusive.  Looks pretty cool.

Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud
    @pissedoffthewitch said:
    " Fallout 3 + Diablo = Epic? "
    Try Fallout 3 + Diablo + Halo = Epic.   I wonder exactly how the basic shooter controls handle in the game.  I hope well, then this game would be like crack.
    pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pissedoffthewitch
    @Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
    "
    @pissedoffthewitch said:
    " Fallout 3 + Diablo = Epic? "
    Try Fallout 3 + Diablo + Halo = Epic.   I wonder exactly how the basic shooter controls handle in the game.  I hope well, then this game would be like crack. "
    More like heroin. It's more addictive.
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud
    @pissedoffthewitch said:
    " More like heroin. It's more addictive. "
    I'll go to the store, buy the game, pop it in my 360 and then wake up 4 days later, filthy, penniless and sleeping on a street corner.
    pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
    "
    @pissedoffthewitch said:
    I'll go to the store, buy the game, pop it in my 360 and then wake up 4 days later, filthy, penniless and sleeping on a street corner. "
    Screw  the game I want some Heroin now!
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pissedoffthewitch said:
    "
    @Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
    "
    @pissedoffthewitch said:
    I'll go to the store, buy the game, pop it in my 360 and then wake up 4 days later, filthy, penniless and sleeping on a street corner. "
    Screw  the game I want some Heroin now! "
    That did sound like a really good time.
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#12  Edited By ahoodedfigure

You know how much RPG elements are in this?  Will you still be able to shoot straight early on, or will you have to gain that sort of skill later?  How deep does the RPG side go, does anyone know?

Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Rio
    @ahoodedfigure said:
    " You know how much RPG elements are in this?  Will you still be able to shoot straight early on, or will you have to gain that sort of skill later?  How deep does the RPG side go, does anyone know? "
    Accuracy from what I understand is not part of the rpg elements.  Wherever you aim is where your bullets go, but all of the damage, crit chances, side effects, and side abilities will play into the more rpg elements and character growth. 
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really enlightening video with a good amount of gameplay:

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.