Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

Borderlands too easy?

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By torus

Don't get me wrong, I've been enjoying Borderlands enormously. However, I feel like somehow I'm always one step ahead of the difficulty curve. Is this because I happened to get lucky with weapons? 

I'm a level 30 soldier, but I found at level 24 a fast-firing, 68x12 damage, 30 accuracy shotgun. Since I completed the shotgun-focus on the Soldier's skill tree, I can basically destroy every enemy, including Badasses, in two shots or less (if I get up in their grill). Match that with the insanely powerful quad-rocket launcher I got for the Jaynistown quest, and a 120/90 assault rifle (burst firing, 13 round clip, very fast reload), and I've been blowing by everything.

Is this typical? I have around 350,000 dollars, even though I have only done a few of the side quests (maybe 3 or 4) -- so money is not a limiting factor at all. 

Anyone else feel this way? It's only compounded by the fact that I essentially never die -- on the few occasions that I'm taken down, I can always blow away some minor enemy before the meter runs out. And since I've got so much cash, I have an unlimited supply of medkits. 

Thoughts? Is Borderlands too easy? 

[edit] Also, in the places I thought were the hardest (mostly rocket turrets, mounted guns), they can quite often be destroyed just by sitting in a car just out of range, and firing rockets at them.

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
    Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Ravenousrattler

just keep playing, playthru 2 is more challenging

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I sort of cruised through the last chunk of my first playthrough pretty easily too, but thus far I've found that Playthrough 2 is much more of a challenge. I died probably 10 times in Skag Gully. Yeah, that's right, Skag Gully at the beginning of the game...I died 10 times there trying to get past a level 37 BadMutha Alpha Shock Skag (I'm not sure of the exact name but it was something like that). Maybe it's just my imagination, but Playthrough 2 also seems to scale up the difficulty a lot more in co-op than the first playthrough.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Yeah, second play through it can get pretty tough. In the first I just rushed ahead, and if I went down I could easily get a second wind. But the second playthough is a lot more brutal. Especially when you come in playing arrogantly, and the game just starts murdering you...

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By turbomonkey138

I found it easy . If you have 4 friends playing with you overlelvel everything

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By xyzygy

If you do a lot of the quests you'll basically be at the same level as the bosses for the main storyline and the larger bosses for side quests

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#7  Edited By Sin4profit

I've found it to be a satisfying balance myself. I'm playin split screen co-op and the game can be tough in spots. I remember killing Bone Head at the beginning of the game to unlock the vehicles was pretty tough for me, as was Moe & Marley (i think that was their names). It may be worth noting that i never bought medkits in the game as well, so maybe that's my problem. So after i found a satisfying weapon i could depend on it just made me feel like a bad-ass when i could cut through enemies like butter.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PureRok

That shotgun won't be much help on the final boss.

syferonik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By syferonik
    @PureRok:
    lol last boss took me 4 Rockets to kill which was in under 10sec (was at level 38)
    MetalR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MetalR

Playthrough 2 isn't hard, imo.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Play co-op (with friends at the same level of course). Alot harder, but at around level 22ish things start to get easy.

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

1st playthrough was easy . 2nd playthrough was even easier. I wish there was a 3rd playthrough that was just ridiculously hard. 

I wasn't overgeared neither. I was using a level 33 rifle through the entire 2nd playthrough.

I played both playthroughs with 1 other person btw.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#13  Edited By Soap

I'm level 15 atm, played for about 5 or 6 hours yesterday for the first time... and tbh, I'm finding it pretty tough :S The smaller guys aint so bad but it's usually just the sheer number of them that overwhelms me pretty quickly. Maybe it's something with my shield or something but I end up with no shield very very quickly into a fight and just rely on duck and cover shooting to survive. 

I'm pretty sure I've had awful loot drops as well. I think my best gun is a rifle that does 47 damage, and a shotgun that does 30X9....yeah.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By torus

Hmm, I got close to the endgame, and it started getting a bit harder -- and then I picked up a 450 damage, 2 shot revolver with lightning, which utterly obliterates the guardians. 

Did any of you guys find Orange weapons on your first playthrough? The best I've found is purple.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ArchScabby

the game is really easy to over level in it seems like.  I played in a couple different peoples games who were a lot higher level then  me, and it boosted my level  really quick.  So now when I play my own game I'm a higher level then most of the enemies and can basically Rambo my way throught the entire game.  I'm at level 34 right now and haven't finished the first playthrough yet.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By torus
    @ArchScabby: Rambo is fun :-] 

But I agree.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By mike

I just finished the first playthrough at 35. I felt like I was slightly overpowered the whole time, and I skipped a lot of side quests. Finished off the final boss in about a minute, and my weapons weren't even the greatest.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By torus

What weapons? I feel like I'm doing it wrong, I'm 36, my weapons were fine the whole game, and I can't seem to kill him before I run out of ammo... 

I'll try again tomorrow. 

MetalR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MetalR

I was grinding in the Lost Cave, those scorpion things give great experience.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By damswedon

just wait for playthrough 2 AKA Badmutha hell

Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Jothel

i've encountered some things about as hard as the last boss right outside the fyrestone gate in playthrough 2.
    do love this game though

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By Ineedaname

My tip would be don't play the soldier.

Seems like the most common person, regeneration health and ammo is hardly going to make it hard.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By penguindust

I'm a 28 Siren and I am finding that except for some boss battles, I'm not having as many challenges as I had early on.  I spec'd my girl for survival over damage and therefore I rarely worry too much about dying.  Heavy in the first skill tree.  Ha-ha, I remember that yesterday the only time I died was when I was driving through a gully area and crashed into a couple of acid barrels which chain exploded.  "Fight for my life?"  But, either way I am still hooked on this game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.